2016 NBA Offseason thread - Free Agency,Trades,Hires,etc

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If Philly trade Noel for Teague he better come with an extension.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Steph has pulled out of consideration in Rio. Cites wanting to rest up his knee.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Minnesota Timberwolves point guard Ricky Rubio is hoping the new era under Tom Thibodeau brings changes and a much-expected ticket to the NBA playoffs.

In an interview with Catalunya Radio from Spain, Rubio said that next season could be his last one with the Timberwolves if the team doesn't make it to the postseason.

"When I arrived to Minnesota, my hope was to break the seven years' streak without [a] presence in [the] playoffs. I still have that hope, but it's very tough mentally when year after year that goal is not met," Rubio said.

"Next season will be crucial for me. I've been in the NBA for five years, and six years without playoffs would be a long time. At 26, I'd have to start thinking about teams that can get to the playoffs and win in the Finals."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15983213/ricky-rubio-next-season-last-minnesota-timberwolves-team-make-playoffs

Weird timing for this. This is the first year things look promising for them and there's a lot to be excited about. Their chances of making the playoffs would improve even more if their PG, who is going into his 6th season, actually learned how to shoot this offseason.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Biyombo opts out of his last year with Toronto.

May still come back, but he's looking for more coin. Deservedly so.

Doubt they would give him 16 million, especially with J-Val earning 17 next year.

In other news, it appears more likely everyday KD will return to OKC ( :D ), likely for a one year deal to take advantage of the rising cap & then potentially hit UFA next summer with Westbrook. Doesn't want to play in DC, doesn't really like the idea of joining GSW and making a big 3/4/super team, prefers OKC to bigger markets where theres way more attention & loves being an Oklahoman.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Man, everyone is pulling out for USA at the Olympics. I really wanted to see Durant and Harden play together but Harden pulled out. Boogie and Durant are the only people that I know are down (and guaranteed spots). Anyone else?

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Not guaranteed, but when Curry said he wouldn't go they talked to Green & Barnes who seemed like they'd be up for it if asked.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Not guaranteed, but when Curry said he wouldn't go they talked to Green & Barnes who seemed like they'd be up for it if asked.
Yeah I remember reading a quote where Barnes says he'd love to play for USA. I just thought he wouldn't be picked, but with so many players dropping out he might be.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
I'm truly fascinated at what Brooklyn do this off season. Like almost everyone, they've got crazy cap room. They've got Brook and Thad, who are legit good players, but not leaders or guys who'll lead to you to a playoff berth, and arguably the worst PG depth in the league. We assume they've got a great young GM and office, as well as a coach who's been loved by players, but the franchise is essentially being run by rookies. With so few picks, how do they improve? I could really see Marks looking deep into the international scene for some available talent.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Man, everyone is pulling out for USA at the Olympics. I really wanted to see Durant and Harden play together but Harden pulled out. Boogie and Durant are the only people that I know are down (and guaranteed spots). Anyone else?

After 6 straight finals and one Olympics, I could see LBJ not playing. But then again, he might given how much Team USA needs him now.

On top of six straight finals, he made it to the ECF in 2009 & had the Olympics in 2008, finals in 2007. Really, in the last decade his only off season of "rest" was 2010 and even then he was about to hit free agency so he didn't exactly have time to kick back and relax stress-free.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Butler would be a great addition to any team but it's going to cost a lot more than just the 5th overall pick. The Celtics would probably trade the 3rd pick and multiple other assets if they could get him. I could even see the Bulls moving him for less from another team because of how much ownership/management there hates Thibs. :laugh:

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Read another report that says Bulls won't even listen without Wiggins on the table. Obviously the Wolves shouldn't include Wiggins, but what else? 5th+Lavine+?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, LaVine would probably have to be involved. Some other stuff as well.

People bringing up Wiggins are funny. You don't trade a 21 year old Wiggins, who is on a rookie contract, for a 27 year old Butler, who is an UFA in three years. Forget including him in the package, I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Butler.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah, LaVine would probably have to be involved. Some other stuff as well.

People bringing up Wiggins are funny. You don't trade a 21 year old Wiggins, who is on a rookie contract, for a 27 year old Butler, who is an UFA in three years. Forget including him in the package, I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Butler.

I wouldn't either. Wiggins will be a multi-MVP winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad