Player Discussion: 2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Gotta say this for the kid, he ain't afraid to shoot. He has a great shot. Also after last year, he has a ton of confidence.

Don't know why the word s h o t was blocked by this message board.

Edited it to shot instead of what it was. :laugh:

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I will be doing an interview with Otto Koivula to FinnProspects.com in the near future. If there's something you'd like me to ask him, go ahead and suggest and maybe I'll ask it.

Cool. You probably already have these but I'll throw them out there anyway...

-What type of player are you?

-Are there any specific NHL players you try to model your game after?

- what do you like more: scoring goals or setting them up?

Last edited:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Ask him:

-What he thinks are the flaws to his game and how he plans to improve them

-What do you think of the Islanders as a franchise and do you plan on coming over to NA ice at some point in your career?

-Favorite modern day NHL player

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Ask him:

how much has the organization been in contact with him, who it was, and what sort of advice they gave him.

what goals he has for the upcoming season.

thx

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ask him what he's doing to improve his skating please!

That is the only think (besides general maturing) that is holding him back from the NHL in my opinion.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
please ask Otto if he
thinks Josh Bailey should shoot more?

And when he hopes to be in the NHL

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I would just like you to ask him how he sees his hockey future playing out over the next 3-5 years or so?

Is one of his goals to play in the Olympics and what is his expected timeline to come over to play in the NHL?

How many years does he believe he needs to refine his game for the NHL and is skating his biggest issue or is it something else he wants to work on and improve?

Thanks!

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
tsn is airing some of those michigan tourney games in the upcoming days so you can get a look at koivula and others .....

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Watched some of the Finland-Sweden game last night and saw a player with two distinct possibilities. Woefully underdeveloped for the NHL and Not A Chance. Either way he has a LONG WAY to go to even be a 3rd liner.

He's certainly big! And maybe still growing. He handles the puck well and is willing to go to the front of the net. Didn't see him shoot so I couldn't judge that.

But there were two things that stood out to me on the negative side.

One is that he doesn't seem too strong on his stick. This might partly be an IQ thing as even when he was in front of the net his stick came off the ice a lot when it should be firmly anchored down for tips and receiving passes.

And the big problem. His skating is worse than Anders Lee's at Notre Dame in Lee's freshman year. There is absolutely NOTHING he does well skating. Forward speed, turning, etc., NOTHING.

Right now his production seems to be tied into how much bigger he is than the competition he plays against plus he seems to have pretty good hands for someone who is that big.

Oh, and after watching the last half of USA-Canada . . . boy are there some talented Americans at this event!

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Mark Stone is a horrendous skater and is one of the best forwards in the league

When Otto scores 64 points in his first full NHL season like Stone I'll make the comparison. Right now he looks a lot more like Jesse Joensuu than Stone.

We'll see how he plays in the WJC as a 19 year old after no points in this last one in 6 games as an 18-year old. Stone lit it up in 2012 as a 19-year old with 7G/3A in 6 games.

I'm certainly hoping for the best but my eyes didn't lie to me yesterday.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Watched some of the Finland-Sweden game last night and saw a player with two distinct possibilities. Woefully underdeveloped for the NHL and Not A Chance. Either way he has a LONG WAY to go to even be a 3rd liner.

He's certainly big! And maybe still growing. He handles the puck well and is willing to go to the front of the net. Didn't see him shoot so I couldn't judge that.

But there were two things that stood out to me on the negative side.

One is that he doesn't seem too strong on his stick. This might partly be an IQ thing as even when he was in front of the net his stick came off the ice a lot when it should be firmly anchored down for tips and receiving passes.

And the big problem. His skating is worse than Anders Lee's at Notre Dame in Lee's freshman year. There is absolutely NOTHING he does well skating. Forward speed, turning, etc., NOTHING.

Right now his production seems to be tied into how much bigger he is than the competition he plays against plus he seems to have pretty good hands for someone who is that big.

Oh, and after watching the last half of USA-Canada . . . boy are there some talented Americans at this event!

I have been impressed with Casey Mittelstadt. Buffalo got a player there.

scott99

May 13, 2005
When Otto scores 64 points in his first full NHL season like Stone I'll make the comparison. Right now he looks a lot more like Jesse Joensuu than Stone.

We'll see how he plays in the WJC as a 19 year old after no points in this last one in 6 games as an 18-year old. Stone lit it up in 2012 as a 19-year old with 7G/3A in 6 games.

I'm certainly hoping for the best but my eyes didn't lie to me yesterday.

It's funny how 2 different people see 2 different things. I obviously focused on Koivula's skating due to the well documented horrible skating. But I didn't see anything horrible, is he a speed demon, hell no, but is he the slowest skater of all time ? No. I expected horrendous but I didn't see that. I also was impressed by his defensive awareness, always pushing himself to get back defensively.

Now, I was always one of the people here defending Anders Lee and stating I thought he'd be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL if given a decent chance. I didn't think his skating would hold him back. Luckily I was right about that (doesn't happen often ;)), but I feel the same way about Koivula's future.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
It's funny how 2 different people see 2 different things. I obviously focused on Koivula's skating due to the well documented horrible skating. But I didn't see anything horrible, is he a speed demon, hell no, but is he the slowest skater of all time ? No. I expected horrendous but I didn't see that. I also was impressed by his defensive awareness, always pushing himself to get back defensively.

Now, I was always one of the people here defending Anders Lee and stating I thought he'd be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL if given a decent chance. I didn't think his skating would hold him back. Luckily I was right about that (doesn't happen often ;)), but I feel the same way about Koivula's future.

I actually wrote about Anders' skating in his thread when he was still at Notre Dame and mentioned that his skating issues were overcome by an incredibly high IQ on the ice. He was a better skater at ND, albeit an older player too, than Koivula is right now. His biggest issue at ND was turning, but his forward speed was solid.

What I saw last night was a kid who looked like he had to think about everything he did without any real instincts. That's the big difference between him and a younger Lee right now and that's something we never can project going forward. And Stone too, who has marvelous stick skills and great instinct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad