BIRTHYEAR 1998-09-01 BIRTHPLACE Nokia, FIN
AGE 17 NATION Finland
POSITION LW/RW SHOOTS L
HEIGHT 193 cm / 6'4" WEIGHT 100 kg / 220 lbs
YOUTH TEAM Ilves CONTRACT 17/18

RANKINGS Ranked #193 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #156 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #159 by Future Considerations
Ranked #28 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)

Code:
SEASON	TEAM	LEAGUE	                GP	G	A	TP	PIM  +/-	 
2015-16	 Ilves U20	 Jr. A SM-liiga	49	26	32	58	18	25
                                  Playoffs	         7	5	7	12	4	7

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Perfect !!
Our Jesse Joensuu replacement.
To be honest, Koivula is much more skilled than Joensuu. Joensuu relied mostly on big body while he was younger, Koivula relies to almost everything else than his big body at the moment.

Koivula is extremely skilled, has a good reach and knows how to score. He was fantastic in Nuorten SM-liiga (the top junior league in Finland) playoffs where he was selected as MVP.

I do have concerns about his skating which is the reason why he hasn't played more in Finnish Elite league yet. I also don't know if he has yet understood fully what it needs to become NHL player. There is a high bust potential in this player.

But the skill set is there. If everything turns out fine, Koivula has potential to become top 6 forward.

scott99

May 13, 2005

How desperate am I for hockey ? I actually watched this video. Pretty good look at Koivula, big guy with some talent. His team was down 1-0 in the 3rd, he got a secondary assist on the tying goal, caused the other team to take a penalty on an a nice move (he was tripped), and then scored the championship winning goal by heading it into the net with 40 seconds left in the 3rd (apparently NOT against the rules).

This was the Finnish Junior Championship game, sorta like the Memorial Cup. He came up big (pardon the pun). He was 3rd on his team in scoring during the season, but led them in scoring in the playoffs. Pretty decent skater for his size, big dude. Obviously needs to improve that part, but he's pretty good offensively and comes back to forecheck defensively.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
How desperate am I for hockey ? I actually watched this video. Pretty good look at Koivula, big guy with some talent. His team was down 1-0 in the 3rd, he got a secondary assist on the tying goal, caused the other team to take a penalty on an a nice move (he was tripped), and then scored the championship winning goal by heading it into the net with 40 seconds left in the 3rd (apparently NOT against the rules).

This was the Finnish Junior Championship game, sorta like the Memorial Cup. He came up big (pardon the pun). He was 3rd on his team in scoring during the season, but led them in scoring in the playoffs. Pretty decent skater for his size, big dude. Obviously needs to improve that part, but he's pretty good offensively and comes back to forecheck defensively.

Props to you for this. :handclap:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Koivula scored his third career Liiga goal today, so three goals in two days. This time a wrister snipe on the power play.

Edit.*He added another power play goal. So four goals in two days, for now.

Nice, thanks for the update.

Always love hearing about one of our prospects doing well.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Here's this:

The last one shows that he has some hands.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
After tonight's Jukurit game Otto Koivula is now leading scorer of FEL rookies.
In 7 regular season games Koivula has scored 4 goals 1 assist = 5 points his PPG is 0,71.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Here's this:

The last one shows that he has some hands.

Damn, he's got some very nice hands in tight... wow.

I think I read that his skating needs work and that he needs to grow up into a man. Hopefully we get another late round steal ala Anders Lee type. The kid is huge.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Damn, he's got some very nice hands in tight... wow.

I think I read that his skating needs work and that he needs to grow up into a man. Hopefully we get another late round steal ala Anders Lee type. The kid is huge.

Koivula´s biggest area of development is skating. Otherwise he is quite ready to take big steps. I love his attitude and hunger for goals, which does not mean that he is a selfish player. However, he is eager to score whenever there is a chance for that and does not just hang along with more experienced players. He has a good chance to become the rookie of the year in the Finnish league, if he continues to play the way he has started the season.

Too bad that Ilves lost its best player Sandell due to a knee injury, who has been a good tutor for Otto. Both are from the same town - Nokia. Otto´s best friend Juuso Välimäki (also from Nokia) is high on the next NHL draft ranking and is at the moment playing for Tri-City Americans.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Koivula´s biggest area of development is skating. Otherwise he is quite ready to take big steps. I love his attitude and hunger for goals, which does not mean that he is a selfish player. However, he is eager to score whenever there is a chance for that and does not just hang along with more experienced players. He has a good chance to become the rookie of the year in the Finnish league, if he continues to play the way he has started the season.

Too bad that Ilves lost its best player Sandell due to a knee injury, who has been a good tutor for Otto. Both are from the same town - Nokia. Otto´s best friend Juuso Välimäki (also from Nokia) is high on the next NHL draft ranking and is at the moment playing for Tri-City Americans.

Do you think Koivula has a shot to make the World Junior team ?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00