Player Discussion: 2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Yep.

Barkov with Tappara Tampere...

t_barkovaleksander2013e.jpg

That is a thing that one of the Finnish League´s sponsor Veikkaus (a Finnish gaming company owned by the state) has developed as its advertisement many many years ago.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
That is a thing that one of the Finnish League´s sponsor Veikkaus (a Finnish gaming company owned by the state) has developed as its advertisement many many years ago.

you think something like this would make that player a target. Seems counter intuitive with regards to players safety. Not that they don't know when the top players on the ice, but still, it's like a bulls-eye.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
you think something like this would make that player a target. Seems counter intuitive with regards to players safety. Not that they don't know when the top players on the ice, but still, it's like a bulls-eye.

Yeah, exactly. If you're a top player, you have enough of a target on your back already. What would change for Tavares if he wore a golden helmet? Opponents double team him and play him as hard as they can anyway. I highly doubt that helmet has any effect at all.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

They have their number and name plastered all over their jersey, they aren't sneaking up on anyone already.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Most teams match lines, do they not?

I can't imagine an NHL player doesn't know who they're on the ice against.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Most teams match lines, do they not?

I can't imagine an NHL player doesn't know who they're on the ice against.

Of course they do, I was just saying, the gold helemt makes them easier to track.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
What would change for Tavares if he wore a golden helmet? Opponents double team him and play him as hard as they can anyway. I highly doubt that helmet has any effect at all.

he did during the lock out season. i didnt see any of the games but i never read anything saying players were running him taking liberties or anything like that.

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
eion92 is not wrong. Alot of players dislike the helmet for that reason.

Watching Otto again today! He's already so good. He's only 4 points behind Laines last year production. Not saying he'll be as good but I'd say he'll be useful for Islanders. Gotta improve that skating.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
eion92 is not wrong. Alot of players dislike the helmet for that reason.

Watching Otto again today! He's already so good. He's only 4 points behind Laines last year production. Not saying he'll be as good but I'd say he'll be useful for Islanders. Gotta improve that skating.

wow! anything beyond a 4th liner would be awesome. getting close to being in the top 10 of our prospects, IMO.

Pulock
Barzal
Sorokin
Soderstrom
Bellows
JHS
MDC
Pelech
Mayfield
Toews
Wotherspoon
Vande Sompel
Quennville
Koivula
Verhaeghe

and technically, Beauvillier, Quine and Prince are still prospects.

niiiiice.....

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Watching SM-Liiga and SEL games are difficult to gauge performance through stats. A) Totally different style of play B) Different financial motivations C) They can bury young kids on the 3rd/4th line

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Sorry about laziness in updates:

Otto made a big goal tonight in the playoffs against the home town rival Tappara (time 1:00)

He made 10+30 in the regular season and is one of the biggest candidates for the rookie of the year award in the Finnish league.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Sorry about laziness in updates:

Otto made a big goal tonight in the playoffs against the home town rival Tappara (time 1:00)

He made 10+30 in the regular season and is one of the biggest candidates for the rookie of the year award in the Finnish league.

Woah, Koivula now has two more points than Puljujarvi put up in his SM-Liiga sophmore season in the same number of games, while only being about 8 months older than Pulju was. Not comparing the two as players, of course, just noting how impressive these numbers are for an 18 year old rookie in that league.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Otto has now 1+2 in 5 playoff games. Here is his goal against the local rivalry Tappara that lead the league after regular season (time 3:45).

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Otto scored the OT goal tonight when Ilves won 0-1. I loved this goal where he was able to avoid the jungle of sticks and found the place for the shot. He was also the one that fought the puck for his team in the offensive zone.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Otto scored the OT goal tonight when Ilves won 0-1. I loved this goal where he was able to avoid the jungle of sticks and found the place for the shot. He was also the one that fought the puck for his team in the offensive zone.

Thanks for the updates!!! Much appreciated. Sounds like Otto is progressing really well.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Thanks for the updates!!! Much appreciated. Sounds like Otto is progressing really well.

Otto has improved overall after U20 WC, but the skating is still mediocre. He needs to do something about that, because otherwise he has no time to utilize his best assets.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Otto has improved overall after U20 WC, but the skating is still mediocre. He needs to do something about that, because otherwise he has no time to utilize his best assets.

Are you familiar with Anders Lee at all? His skating was sub par, but it has improved the last several years. Hopefully Otto can make improvements as well. A big body who has some finish ability causing havoc in front of the net is a very nice thing to have in the NHL. Lee is that for the Isles, we could use another or a possible replacement in the future.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Are you familiar with Anders Lee at all? His skating was sub par, but it has improved the last several years. Hopefully Otto can make improvements as well. A big body who has some finish ability causing havoc in front of the net is a very nice thing to have in the NHL. Lee is that for the Isles, we could use another or a possible replacement in the future.

I wish that Koivula would improve in skating as Lee and there should not be any reasons why not.

Otto has a good frame and a big hunger for scoring. It is great that the present coach of Ilves Karri Kivi (former U20 Team Finland champion coach) is giving him a lot of ice-time in the PP as well and althoug Otto has made mistakes, Kivi lets him play in the 1st line.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Just have Otto train with Tavares in the offseason.

Honestly Anders Lee is a prime example of how being a subpar skater can not be a hindrance in becoming an impact player...If you can overcompensate in other areas (size, hands, hand-eye coordination, hockey sense, effort, etc). Hopefully Otto has some of those other skills.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Finish ability you say PW:naughty:

Nice pun

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wish that Koivula would improve in skating as Lee and there should not be any reasons why not.

Otto has a good frame and a big hunger for scoring. It is great that the present coach of Ilves Karri Kivi (former U20 Team Finland champion coach) is giving him a lot of ice-time in the PP as well and althoug Otto has made mistakes, Kivi lets him play in the 1st line.

Where does he usually play in the PP? I'd imagine in front of the net or low circle?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Finish ability you say PW:naughty:

Nice pun

LOL, you make me seem smarter than I really am. I didn't intend that little pun, but I sure as hell will take full credit for it since you mention it. :laugh:

I'm very intrigued by Otto and am very encouraged by his development after being drafted. Initially I feared he could be Joensuu 2.0, but he seems to have more progress than JJ did back in the day.

Call Dawn Braid and buy her out of her Coyotes contract and have her work with all of our prospects exclusively. Johnny needs to pull some strings on that since he's her masterpiece work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad