Player Discussion: 2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Otto played a good game tonight when Ilves got 3-2 lead in the playoffs series against Tappara. He gave a great pass in the game-winning 3-2 goal (time 0:32).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Koivula's been a clutch player this series. In Ilves' first win he scored the game-tying goal, in second win he scored the OT goal and yesterday in the third win he assisted the game-winning goal.

Good to hear the kid is producing and a key player. Thanks for the updates and feedback!!

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Good to hear the kid is producing and a key player. Thanks for the updates and feedback!!

absolutely. heart/effort under pressure, is something that we need right now. sure, we need speed and skill too, but to win BIG, we will need both.

can the kid come over and play in BP next year, since he isn't N. American?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
absolutely. heart/effort under pressure, is something that we need right now. sure, we need speed and skill too, but to win BIG, we will need both.

can the kid come over and play in BP next year, since he isn't N. American?

Hypothetically yes, but he might be under contact with Ilves through next year and may want to honor that contract. Also, he may or may not have an NHL contract out clause that would essentially void his Liiga contract if he signed an NHL deal.

From what I've read, he could use at least another year overseas.

Finlanche

Feb 11, 2017
Tampere, Finland
Hi to all Isles fans.
I've been watching Otto closely this year and I must say that he is the most exciting player in the liiga right now. Absolutely love hes game. Good vision and IQ with nice shot and passing ability. Only problems with him is the skating like people have said before.
I think that one more year in Finland would be best for him since playing with smaller rink in NA would be a problem for him.
He will be good 2nd/3th liner for you guys in the future if he improves hes skating.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hi to all Isles fans.
I've been watching Otto closely this year and I must say that he is the most exciting player in the liiga right now. Absolutely love hes game. Good vision and IQ with nice shot and passing ability. Only problems with him is the skating like people have said before.
I think that one more year in Finland would be best for him since playing with smaller rink in NA would be a problem for him.
He will be good 2nd/3th liner for you guys in the future if he improves hes skating.

Thanks for the update!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Hi to all Isles fans.

Thank you!! You're welcome here anytime!!!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Named Liiga's rookie of the year with 10+20=30 in 50 gp during the regular season and 2+3=5 in 10gp in playoffs.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Yeah, usually young guys are solidly parked on 3rd or 4th lines in their SM-Liiga rookie years. Seeing 10-15 points is usually seen as fine.

Im not saying Koivula is on the same level as Laine but

Laine rookie season: 46gp 33pts
Koivula rookie season:50gp 30pts

Laine is elite and Koivula isn't even the same player in terms of style but the production alone shows we got a steal in the 4th round. Kouvila would be going top 10 in this years draft. maybe just maybe our scouting/ garth are improving with drafting... Barzal, Beauvillier, JHS, Sorokin, Soderstrom, Koivula, Toews...not bad at all.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
One should not make too many comparisons between Laine and Koivula. Laine´s shot is something special and Koivula has not any speciality like that in his tool box. That does not mean that Otto would not be able to become a NHL level player, but there are IMO more questionmarks about that than there were with Laine´s case.

Otto says that he will focus on improving his skating this summer and tries to get more power in his acceleration. He will train with the same coach with some of the latest Finnish 1st rounders Patrik Laine, Rasmus Ristolainen and Mikko Rantanen in Turku. He also says that his objective is to develop next season so much that he would be able to move to NHL.

scott99

May 13, 2005
One should not make too many comparisons between Laine and Koivula. Laine´s shot is something special and Koivula has not any speciality like that in his tool box. That does not mean that Otto would not be able to become a NHL level player, but there are IMO more questionmarks about that than there were with Laine´s case.

Otto says that he will focus on improving his skating this summer and tries to get more power in his acceleration. He will train with the same coach with some of the latest Finnish 1st rounders Patrik Laine, Rasmus Ristolainen and Mikko Rantanen in Turku. He also says that his objective is to develop next season so much that he would be able to move to NHL.

Great info, thanks so much for that !

On a side note, I'm not a Garth Snow fan, I feel he should've been fired, but him and his staff have found some really good players from the 3rd round on. Some weird ones in those rounds sometimes, but they find good players late. Can't be perfect all the time, but his staff has done pretty well with Lee, Cizikas, Sorokin, Soderstrom, Pelech, etc, all 3rd round and later.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Size and skill from Big Otto.

Gotta say this for the kid, he ain't afraid to shoot. He has a great shot. Also after last year, he has a ton of confidence.

Don't know why the word s h o t was blocked by this message board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad