Player Discussion: 2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think many are hoping that the Isles will retain Filppula and that he could act as a teacher and mentor of sorts to Otto.

There is A LOT to learn about playing center. It's not nearly as easy as switching to the wing. I don't know how they'd go about it, but it would perhaps behoove the team to have these two communicating.

As for Filppula, how he ends this season will be a determining factor. His first half pace was very impressive in light of expectations, but he's slowed down on the offensive front. The stretch run will be decisive in determining whether he is to be resigned. I think it's hardly a given at this point, although he's clearly a part of this team's success story this season.
Any offense from Filppula is a bonus. He does a ton of little things on the ice that keep the ship sailing straight. I'd re-sign him.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Any offense from Filppula is a bonus. He does a ton of little things on the ice that keep the ship sailing straight. I'd re-sign him.
exactly and it's not like he has been playing with anyone else with tremendous offensive flair. I really like the addition of Beavillier on the line with Flip and Leo, they may start to produce some more offense.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
It maybe time to call up Otto. Team needs a spark. I do remember Otto struggling with his skating and not producing well in international play.​

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
It maybe time to call up Otto. Team needs a spark. I do remember Otto struggling with his skating and not producing well in international play.​
he's not getting called up this season and maybe not even next season. They will let him develop at the Bridge as he is only 20 yo. Besides he probably isn't even ready yet

Reactions: Macch

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It maybe time to call up Otto. Team needs a spark. I do remember Otto struggling with his skating and not producing well in international play.

And you wanna call him up? Is this an Onion headline?

I say let em marinate in Bridgeport, maybe promote him early next season or he could push for a spot if he crushes camp. I think having MDC and Koivula in during the home stretch is a big mistake , one or the other...

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
he's not getting called up this season and maybe not even next season. They will let him develop at the Bridge as he is only 20 yo. Besides he probably isn't even ready yet
Uhhhh not sure about that... He is far and away the best forward playing for Bridgeport at the moment, and the isles are paper thin at center

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
And you wanna call him up? Is this an Onion headline?

I say let em marinate in Bridgeport, maybe promote him early next season or he could push for a spot if he crushes camp. I think having MDC and Koivula in during the home stretch is a big mistake , one or the other...
No I just figured he'd fit in well with the rest of our offense.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Like Saku / Mikko Koivu with a "La" at the end?
Exactly. Finnish is a phonetic language... "Koivu" in every single context is always pronounced the exact same, as is "La" in every single context always pronounced the exact same, whether it's in "laulaja" or "koivula" or "kalakukko".

And it's not "lah", just "la". And it sounds like the beginnig of "line", before you get to the "e" sound(you just stop and hold your breath, you don't add a "-h"). Not as in "land", that would be "lä" which is a fundamental error(you always have a's with o's and ä's with ö's).

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Exactly. Finnish is a phonetic language... "Koivu" in every single context is always pronounced the exact same, as is "La" in every single context always pronounced the exact same, whether it's in "laulaja" or "koivula" or "kalakukko".

And it's not "lah", just "la". And it sounds like the beginnig of "line", before you get to the "e" sound(you just stop and hold your breath, you don't add a "-h"). Not as in "land", that would be "lä" which is a fundamental error(you always have a's with o's and ä's with ö's).
You clearly don't understand how the English pronunciation works. Everytime the same thing when Finnish posters think that "in Finnish language we pronounce the letters and words like they are written"...

And FYI: it's "luh" in this case.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Everytime the same thing when Finnish posters think that "in Finnish language we pronounce the letters and words like they are written"...

You're right but I bet you didn't know why. :DD

(It's not about how letters and words are pronounced, it's fundamentally about how sounds and words are spelled.)

Now back to Otto Koivula who at #120 overall didn't ask for this hailstorm of esoteric linguistics...

scott99

May 13, 2005
Boy, what a difference 7 months make. People were ripping the Filppula signing in July, saying it was one of the worst/dumbest moves ever, Lou has lost it, blah blah blah.

I agree, bring him back as the Isles 3rd line center. I’m hoping we sign Duchene in FA, Barzal/Duchene/Filppula/Cizikas would be a really good center crew, as well as Filppula helping Koivula learn to be an NHL player. I really feel Koivula could be a good NHL player. He’s been good at every level he’s played at. And he’s only 20.

Reactions: beach

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Boy, what a difference 7 months make. People were ripping the Filppula signing in July, saying it was one of the worst/dumbest moves ever, Lou has lost it, blah blah blah.

I agree, bring him back as the Isles 3rd line center. I’m hoping we sign Duchene in FA, Barzal/Duchene/Filppula/Cizikas would be a really good center crew, as well as Filppula helping Koivula learn to be an NHL player. I really feel Koivula could be a good NHL player. He’s been good at every level he’s played at. And he’s only 20.

I think Casey is the 3C. He's paid like one. He's producing like one. And that line just works - under Trotz, more so than ever.
In that light, I think Fil looks even better. He, Leo, and Otto would be a dandy of a 4th line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trust me Barzal is still my favourite Islander. But my Koivula interest is heating up. Did this kid just improve his skating, or was he scouted wrongly by some. Not calling him Paul Coffey in terms of skating but he looks like a decent enough skater, infact not bad at all.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Trust me Barzal is still my favourite Islander. But my Koivula interest is heating up. Did this kid just improve his skating, or was he scouted wrongly by some. Not calling him Paul Coffey in terms of skating but he looks like a decent enough skater, infact not bad at all.

He's mostly coasting there, then stick handles at the end.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Watch carefully how much gliding he does on his rush. This doesn't show off any skating prowess and might actually be hiding bad skating. Plus little chance he gets to walk through 5 "defenders" at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad