Player Discussion: 2016 Draft round 4 #120 overall Otto Koivula

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I'm just saying it goes to show that contrary to the current popular belief, you can succeed in the NHL despite being slow.

I think that the general point is that it's much more difficult to succeed in the NHL when you're a poor skater. Isolated exceptions are implied, I'd think.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I actually wrote about Anders' skating in his thread when he was still at Notre Dame and mentioned that his skating issues were overcome by an incredibly high IQ on the ice. He was a better skater at ND, albeit an older player too, than Koivula is right now. His biggest issue at ND was turning, but his forward speed was solid.

What I saw last night was a kid who looked like he had to think about everything he did without any real instincts. That's the big difference between him and a younger Lee right now and that's something we never can project going forward. And Stone too, who has marvelous stick skills and great instinct.

Well Otto did manage 30 points in 50 games as an 18 y/o (good for 3rd best on his team and rookie of the year honors) in Liiga, which is a top-level men's league, so he must be doing something right. Simply being big and having good hands doesn't get you that kind of production in that kind of league.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's summer hockey, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Koivula was one of the younger kids in his draft class if I remember correctly, and he was always going to be a project because of his skating.

Whenever his contract runs out in Finland, I expect him to come over and put in a year or two in the minors before even getting consideration for NHL, much like Dal Colle.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
From what we have seen so far, Otto clearly has tremendous size and good hands. It also sounds like he is a hard worker.

Hopefully that means he continues to work on his skating the next couple years and maybe he becomes a bit more natural when he finally stops growing and adjusts to his size more. Sometimes players with big bodies take longer to adjust and get comfortable in their own skin.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Koivula is training with Laine under the same guy who made his skating so much more explosive. Laine was a pretty bad skater until he got enough strength for his frame. Koivula is heavier than Laine and there has been rumors that it's not all good weight, but now it seems that he is committed because he is training with some real pros this summer.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Koivula is training with Laine under the same guy who made his skating so much more explosive. Laine was a pretty bad skater until he got enough strength for his frame. Koivula is heavier than Laine and there has been rumors that it's not all good weight, but now it seems that he is committed because he is training with some real pros this summer.

yeah, good to hear.

any chance you watched him in the World Junior Summer Showcase? if so... thoughts?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Fantastic news. The more flexible and functional strength he can add, the better. It will take time to see real results but this is great to hear.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
https://www.aamulehti.fi/urheilu/il...upausta-han-erottui-harjoituksissa-200378702/

So, here's a finnish article about Ilves and their youngsters. They say that Otto stood out in the training camp, and that he has very clearly gained more speed and mobility. So, that's to all of you who were mocking him being slow. It can be fixed. He should be a good piece for you guys in the future.

I don't think any of us were mocking him for being too slow...he's an Islanders prospect for christ sake, we want them all to suceed.

The discussions about his skating here are simply pointing out things he'll need to improve to be an NHLer.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I don't think any of us were mocking him for being too slow...he's an Islanders prospect for christ sake, we want them all to suceed.

The discussions about his skating here are simply pointing out things he'll need to improve to be an NHLer.

Yeah, my choice of words was poor, i was being lazy. Anyways, good news for ya'll. :nod:

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Has not produced as much as last season. Points are close but goals are way down.

Doesn’t really seem like too big of a deal to be honest. His points are right there with last season like you said and two or three good games can get him right back on pace in terms of goals. He’s also only 19 and playing in a men’s league so I’m not going to even come close to worrying just yet.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
I translated a recent article regarding Koivula and his expectations for the World Junior Championships.

Koivula is hungry for his first international medal as the forward is heading to the World Juniors with a couple of hints from an Islanders' boss
18.12.2017 20:30 | Original author: Kirsi Teiskonlahti

Otto Koivula, 19 years of age, hopes to return back to Finland with the WJC trophy. Koivula is known for his high skill level but he might rattle the boards as well in the coming tournament, which is a big opportunity for him to showcase his skills. The tournament is hosted in Buffalo, close to the home of New York Islanders (apparently the editor is not familiar with NY geography...), the team that drafted Koivula. The tournament should see a large contingent of Islanders draft picks.

Koivula has received advice and wishes for the upcoming tournament from the Isles player coordinator, who has visited his games in Tampere. "They want me to see bodychecks from me. It's not really my typical game but I have to use my body when there's a chance. They (Isles) like it when you cross-check a little after the whistle. That's the kind of play they want to see from me at the tournament."

The Ilves forward played in the previous tournament in Montreal. Compared to last year, Koivula has improved his game comprehensively. On the other hand he also feels that he's more ready for the tournament, because he knows what to expect from the competition "My skating has improved and I've put a lot effort in it but nothing happens overnight. I'm also stronger physically".

Ilves has had a weak start to the season and the offensive achievements have been hard to come by for Koivula as well. Nevertheless, Koivula remains sure that he will find the necessary confidence when playing for team Finland.

Team Finland, currently having a pre-tournament camp in the States, will cut three more forwards and two defenders to round up the final roster. "I'd be happy to play in the tournament if the coaches want me in. The practice games will clarify the roles. I'll do everything to get a roster spot."

Two years ago Koivula was cut at the last minute from the U18 team, which eventually won gold at World Championships. The coach from that team will be behind the bench in Buffalo but it doesn't bother Koivula. "It's a clean slate now and we will have a fresh start to this season and to this tournament. It's no use to dwell on old stuff, there's no benefit in that for me. We have a new chance now and we will do everything to make the team a success story."

Gold is the only goal

Last year's tournament was the first (WJC) for Koivula. It wasn't a success and it left a sour taste. Now he's eager to show what Finland can do. The fact that this year's tournament is the last for Koivula and several other players brings an extra level of anticipation to the tournament. "I haven't really realized that this will be the last national team event at the junior level for me. I've been involved in quite a few of them. I've made a lot of good friends here, so it will be an emotional tournament. Right now there's a strong urge to win every single game." This year's team gets a lot of praise from Koivula, but he remarks that this time they have to be ready from the first puck drop. "I think we will have the best team in the tournament".

Koivula scored the winning goal at last year's championship final in the Finnish Jr. A league. Now the forward wishes to bring home the first medal from an international tournament and the colour of the medal matters. "There's a strong urge to get some medals from the World Junior's." It would be fantastic. And we won't settle for a medal, we're bringing the trophy home."

Original article in Finnish here: Koivula janoaa ensimmäistä arvokisamitaliaan, hyökkääjä lähtee MM-kisoihin Islanders-pomon vinkein

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Sleeper alert. Went to check on the progress of Bellows, and thus far his fellow 2016 draft teammate is showing more progression. Looks like another nice 4th rd pick by the Isles. 2nd in scoring on Bridgeport. 37 pts in 48 games, very promising rookie production in the AHL.

Reactions: SI90

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Really looking forward to seeing this kid in camp next year after another offseason to work on conditioning and skating.

Reactions: dood

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Really looking forward to seeing this kid in camp next year after another offseason to work on conditioning and skating.

Another example of hockey skills and IQ overcoming less than stellar skating. Didn't Conacher have a good set of wheels. Is he available?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Those 2 goals he scored this weekend, remind me of Lee a little. Regardless, I think it is very promising to see this type of production this early on for a rookie in the AHL. The Isles may have a good one here.

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If we can retain filpulla on another one year deal, let Otto cook low and slow in the A, seems like an ideal 3C

I think many are hoping that the Isles will retain Filppula and that he could act as a teacher and mentor of sorts to Otto.

There is A LOT to learn about playing center. It's not nearly as easy as switching to the wing. I don't know how they'd go about it, but it would perhaps behoove the team to have these two communicating.

As for Filppula, how he ends this season will be a determining factor. His first half pace was very impressive in light of expectations, but he's slowed down on the offensive front. The stretch run will be decisive in determining whether he is to be resigned. I think it's hardly a given at this point, although he's clearly a part of this team's success story this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad