2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Probably low as he missed the camp for it didn't he?

He was at the camp but couldn't participate on ice. Plenty of players in the past have come out of nowhere and made the team after not even being invited to the summer camp.

If he stays healthy and produces well he at the very least will earn an invite to the selection camp but who knows if he makes the tournament roster.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was at the camp but couldn't participate on ice. Plenty of players in the past have come out of nowhere and made the team after not even being invited to the summer camp.

If he stays healthy and produces well he at the very least will earn an invite to the selection camp but who knows if he makes the tournament roster.
If he played lights out then they might grab him cause it would be a no brainer. That said Team Canada has left out some very good players before to grab their guy.

Thanks guys. Hopefully he stays healthy and makes the team.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Having his teams lone goal last night and a bunch of shots definitely does help. Especially after missing so much time. Lots of skill there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Having his teams lone goal last night and a bunch of shots definitely does help. Especially after missing so much time. Lots of skill there.

If he pans out we have some very nice forward prospects coming through the system. If we have to move Nuge we have no centers of note which is a concern IMO.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I decided to look at our forward prospects and there is a few really talented hard working players coming up. Hopefully a few make it to the big time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I decided to look at our forward prospects and there is a few really talented hard working players coming up. Hopefully a few make it to the big time.
Between Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Benson, Maksimov, and Safin our forward prospect pool isn't as bad as its sometimes portrayed. The main issue is that only 1 of those players is AHL eligible and thus our AHL forward depth is pretty bad.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Between Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Benson, Maksimov, and Safin our forward prospect pool isn't as bad as its sometimes portrayed. The main issue is that only 1 of those players is AHL eligible and thus our AHL forward depth is pretty bad.

Vessel is showing some skill as well. The biggest issue that I see is that none of them are natural centers (Vessel maybe the exception).

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Vessel is showing some skill as well. The biggest issue that I see is that none of them are natural centers (Vessel maybe the exception).
I'm not putting much faith in Vesel tbh. Undersized, 23 and just barely hovering over PPG in his final NCAA season. To me its much more likely he becomes a good AHL player than an NHL one, but I guess there's still a chance.

Of the players I mentioned I think Benson could be a centre if they really wanted him to be, but I also don't think we really need a centre that bad. Even if they ship Nuge out eventually they should be able to fill the 3C hole for cheap if they can fill McDavid and Draisaitl's wings with good quality young talent from within.

I still think Eriksson-Ek would have been the perfect 3C for this team down the road, but whats done is done and I'd rather not rehash that trade.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not putting much faith in Vesel tbh. Undersized, 23 and just barely hovering over PPG in his final NCAA season. To me its much more likely he becomes a good AHL player than an NHL one, but I guess there's still a chance.

Of the players I mentioned I think Benson could be a centre if they really wanted him to be, but I also don't think we really need a centre that bad. Even if they ship Nuge out eventually they should be able to fill the 3C hole for cheap if they can fill McDavid and Draisaitl's wings with good quality young talent from within.

I still think Eriksson-Ek would have been the perfect 3C for this team down the road, but whats done is done and I'd rather not rehash that trade.

We'd need to separate McDavid and Drai if we move out Nuge for sure. Even if Vesel is an AHL only guy, we could use more skill on the farm to help our young wingers as they come through the ranks.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
We'd need to separate McDavid and Drai if we move out Nuge for sure. Even if Vesel is an AHL only guy, we could use more skill on the farm to help our young wingers as they come through the ranks.
True enough, and I think they will eventually separate the two when there's enough talent on the wings to support that, which imo is a year or 2 away with Puljujarvi and Yamamoto, and then potentially Benson as well if he can stay healthy. Maksimov and Safin are probably 3 or 4 years away if they end up making it.

I'd be fine bringing Vesel in after this season, I was more just talking about my expectations of him long-term.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If Pulju and Yamamoto pan out then we'd all but have to separate Leon and Connor at ES. Or maybe we don't until after the young wingers ELC's expire to keep their 2nd contracts cheaper :naughty:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone know why Benson didn't play tonight?

Edit: Nvm just saw a tweet from the Giants. He was scheduled to sit tonight and will play tomorrow. Probably didn't want to throw him into 3 games in 3 days after just coming back.

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Benson can't even string together back-to-back major junior games while DeBrincat gets his sixth NHL point tonight. Another brilliant Chia decision.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Anyone know why Benson didn't play tonight?

Edit: Nvm just saw a tweet from the Giants. He was scheduled to sit tonight and will play tomorrow. Probably didn't want to throw him into 3 games in 3 days after just coming back.
Team could of used him tonight.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah I think he was referring to the part about Benson not being able to string together back-to-back jr. games. I think its totally understandable that the team didn't put him in for back-to-back-to-back games for his first 3 games in quite some time and rather elected to go night on, night off, night on rather than playing 2 in a row.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Nah I think he was referring to the part about Benson not being able to string together back-to-back jr. games.

In their hurry to write an angry screed about people not being able to express coherent thoughts, it's a wee bit ironic a certain individual didn't notice that the post they were referring to was written before the one that it was replying to had been edited.

If only they had minimum standards around reading and such, eh?

I think its totally understandable that the team didn't put him in for back-to-back-to-back games for his first 3 games in quite some time and rather elected to go night on, night off, night on rather than playing 2 in a row.

It's both sad and hilarious that we have to celebrate our 2nd rounder using training wheels in the WHL during his Draft + 2 year while another registers 0.5 PPG in the NHL. But again, that's life with Chia as GM for you.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In their hurry to write an angry screed about people not being able to express coherent thoughts, it's a wee bit ironic a certain individual didn't notice that the post they were referring to was written before the one that it was replying to had been edited.

If only they had minimum standards around reading and such, eh?

It's both sad and hilarious that we have to celebrate our 2nd rounder using training wheels in the WHL during his Draft + 2 year while another registers 0.5 PPG in the NHL. But again, that's life with Chia as GM for you.
Injuries in a contact sport. Such is life, indeed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Who could have known Benson seems to suffer from such maladies more than most players before we drafted him?

Wait, you mean he played 30 games his draft year? Who could have known!!!
Edmonton probably should have stayed clear of McDavid too. Broken hand in his draft year. Broken collarbone in his first NHL season. This guys as fragile as they come. Can't believe they didn't see that coming and trade him while he still had value.

Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Imagine how much worse it would have been if those
Edmonton probably should have stayed clear of McDavid too. Broken hand in his draft year. Broken collarbone in his first NHL season. This guys as fragile as they come. Can't believe they didn't see that coming and trade him while he still had value.
injuries were related and made worse by a unsatisfactory job being done by the doctor to fix them. People complaining about Benson not playing three games in three nights as soon as he comes back must be as uneducated on hockey and injuries as they come.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad