2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Basically Debrincat might end up being better but making picks on high risk players may benefit us such as in Kailer's situation. We have the depth to let players to develop now especially on offense but even still we need good steals in the draft if we are to maintain our new found status as one of the top teams in the NHL. I think Benson was a good idea still and picks like this take a few years until it is determined what the better pick was. Though missing large portions of his early career are worrying hope he doesn't just become a new Pitlick.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I actually see Benson a lot like Klefbom. Hella good player held back by injuries. Luckily the injuries he get are freak injuries that are rare and not something that usually leads to reoccuring injuries. He isn't a fragile player like Pitlick, just unlucky like Klefbom was.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Talked on the weekend with a friend with WHL connections including a son who plays in the league. He says the Giants' surgeon did a poor job on Bensen's surgery and the Oilers' doctor had to take over. It's slowed the recovery.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Might as well just trade every 2nd pick every year for a rental. Get a guaranteed NHL player instead of the wasteland that the 2nd round has produced... There's a reason guys "fall" in drafts... And unlike Aaron Rodgers, guys falling in the NHL draft rarely becomes a cool story.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im hoping he gets the rest of this season healthy and has a legit chance to develop into a regular nhl player.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I actually see Benson a lot like Klefbom. Hella good player held back by injuries. Luckily the injuries he get are freak injuries that are rare and not something that usually leads to reoccuring injuries. He isn't a fragile player like Pitlick, just unlucky like Klefbom was.
This seems like a reasonable breakdown of it all. To me Pitlick became heavily injury prone because of his style of play. I love the player, but man does he ever play like a wrecking ball out there. We thought Hall was bad with the reckless play he played, but I think Pitlick's style is even worse. The thing is that its a very effective style if you can play healthy, but the risk of injury is also much higher.

To me Benson doesn't play a high risk game. He isn't afraid to lean on guys and engage physically, but he's not the type of player to go running around full speed trying to throw checks. He's a much more cerebral player that will engage physically to shield pucks, win puck battles, or separate guys off pucks but he's not a huge hitter or a reckless player.

Here's to hoping once he is healthy that he can have a long healthy season. The talent is there to become a good 2nd/3rd line playmaking winger/centre.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hopefully he has a good year.

Probably makes me sound like a bad fan, but I dont even get excited about Benson anymore. I have no expectations for him, at this point.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Talked on the weekend with a friend with WHL connections including a son who plays in the league. He says the Giants' surgeon did a poor job on Bensen's surgery and the Oilers' doctor had to take over. It's slowed the recovery.

You would think the NHL teams surgeon would perform surgery on all of the teams key prospects.

Reactions: McCanovin

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hopefully he has a good year.

Probably makes me sound like a bad fan, but I dont even get excited about Benson anymore. I have no expectations for him, at this point.
You should feel bad! :sarcasm:

In all honesty though, if this kid can stay healthy I do think he's going to come out of nowhere for people who have kind of forgotten about him. He was and still is a first round level talent, he just hasn't been able to show it over an entire season and has been on a very bad WHL team. Assuming he stays healthy I think he's going to be a pleasant surprise in the next 2 years.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
There's been talk about the Oilers wanting Benson traded from the Giants but it could be that he gets traded on the Giants terms as part of a rebuild. Draisaitl had a forced trade from Prince Albert to Kelowna but, since Benson's playing tonight, it may be a while if and when he's traded. Also, other teams want to see if he's recovered from his surgery and playing well before committing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How can an NHL team force a junior trade?
Not sure if they're allowed monetary compensation, but in Draisaitls case they could have said "Trade him and get something or we won't return him to junior", with the team receiving him being fully aware he'd be getting returned to junior after the trade.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
How can an NHL team force a junior trade?

At the time Drai didn't want to return to PA, and head to Europe, but I'm not sure if the Raiders would've traded him unless someone with the Oilers had stepped in. Plus, I'm sure they suggested that he get traded to a contending team rather than just another struggling one. HF nuked the thread but it's on the Internet Archive (well, the first 6 pages): https://web.archive.org/web/2015010...hockeysfuture.com:80/showthread.php?t=1803033

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Basically Debrincat might end up being better but making picks on high risk players may benefit us such as in Kailer's situation. We have the depth to let players to develop now especially on offense but even still we need good steals in the draft if we are to maintain our new found status as one of the top teams in the NHL. I think Benson was a good idea still and picks like this take a few years until it is determined what the better pick was. Though missing large portions of his early career are worrying hope he doesn't just become a new Pitlick.

DeBrincat's not really doing much this year either so far. Still hard to say which player will be better. I just hope Benson can just stay healthy... thats all I ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad