2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm really torn about Benson. Every time I see him on TV or see highlight videos of his scoring plays, I just love the game he brings and you can see how great a playmaking winger he is. Yet his counting numbers don't exactly scream dominance and leave one wondering what his NHL ceiling really is.

It should be noted though that in my mind he had a very good playoffs for the Giants, IMO their best player by a wide margin and would've been even more dominant if Ty Ronning had bothered to lend him a hand. :/

I guess we'll see. It's rare, but it's not unheard of that a player becomes an offensive weapon in the NHL but only had decent junior numbers. Look at someone like Getzlaf...a great talent who never knocked it out of the park in the WHL: 68 points in 70 games in his draft year, only 54 in 51 as a 19 yr old. Those numbers don't exactly scream "future 70-90 point NHL 1st line center", yet that's exactly what he turned into.

Reactions: MisterD

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
I would hesitate on this player a bit too, but he was an incredibly prolific scorer in bantam and possesses, by all accounts, a very high IQ. His injury history always concerned me, but it was encouraging to see him go down to the AHL and still produce at an alright level. I don't think he'll be a great producer at the NHL level but a 35-40 pt. industrious winger at his very peak, who can slot in with higher skill and not hurt their production sounds pretty useful.

Sounds like exactly the player type we need more of.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oddly enough, I can legit see Benson and McLeod be a really solid makings of a third line for us

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Seems like Benson is a really smart player but hasnt got a whole lot to work with in Junior. You just hope hes one of those players, when he actually gets to play with quality players, he really blossoms.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seems like Benson is a really smart player but hasnt got a whole lot to work with in Junior. You just hope hes one of those players, when he actually gets to play with quality players, he really blossoms.
this was always the MO with Benson when we got him. Kind of reminds me of that Curtis Hamilton we had, who fell hard in the draft because of injuries, but it turned out to be too much for him. Benson has top end talent himself, and he just had an injury-free season and looked great (*knocks on wood*) so he could be a real gem if his development starts pointing up.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Do we need him to be an impact player? I for one would be okay with it if he turned out like another highly talented but oft injured early 2nd round forward: Tyler Pitlick.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Do we need him to be an impact player? I for one would be okay with it if he turned out like another highly talented but oft injured early 2nd round forward: Tyler Pitlick.
Nope we don't. If he ends up a solid 3rd liner we should be very happy with that, and anything more would be bonus. He'll never have Pitlick's skating or physicality, but he can grind, he's strong on the puck, and he's got a lot better hockey IQ and playmaking than Pitlick. Much different styles, but I'll have no issue if he becomes a Pitlick calibre player.

Lets hope his injuries are over. His lasted 3 seasons. Pitlick's lasted about 7.

Reactions: Aerchon

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Bensons issues are going to be his footspeed & hes really not all that skilled in the world of the NHL/AHL. He has a chance to be an NHL'r (3rd liner )though because he has pretty strong hockey IQ.

Reactions: Aerchon

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bensons issues are going to be his footspeed & hes really not all that skilled in the world of the NHL/AHL. He has a chance to be an NHL'r (3rd liner )though because he has pretty strong hockey IQ.
I think the biggest step for him is going to be the AHL to the NHL. I won't be surprised if he puts up very solid offensive numbers in the AHL next year. He's money on the power play and a great playmaker, and foot speed is less important at the AHL level.

I wouldn't give up on his foot speed though if he can stay healthy the next few seasons. He's not fast, but as I've said many times before he has a wide balanced stride that makes him hard to get the puck off and he's always in good position to get to loose pucks due to his hockey IQ. I don't think he'll be a "on the rush" type player, but he should be a quality cycle player who can act as a puck retriever and playmaker.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think the biggest step for him is going to be the AHL to the NHL. I won't be surprised if he puts up very solid offensive numbers in the AHL next year. He's money on the power play and a great playmaker, and foot speed is less important at the AHL level.

I wouldn't give up on his foot speed though if he can stay healthy the next few seasons. He's not fast, but as I've said many times before he has a wide balanced stride that makes him hard to get the puck off and he's always in good position to get to loose pucks due to his hockey IQ. I don't think he'll be a "on the rush" type player, but he should be a quality cycle player who can act as a puck retriever and playmaker.

This is why I think he fits as a potential LW with Leon. McDavid's line can be the counter attack line. Leon's the off cycle line. Eventually

Nuge McDavid Puljujarvi
Benson Draisiatl Yamamoto
Khaira Strome Maksimov

If Maksimov becomes the player I hope he can be that third line could do some damage.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is why I think he fits as a potential LW with Leon. McDavid's line can be the counter attack line. Leon's the off cycle line. Eventually

Nuge McDavid Puljujarvi
Benson Draisiatl Yamamoto
Khaira Strome Maksimov

If Maksimov becomes the player I hope he can be that third line could do some damage.

I think if we are balancing lines while I imaginings all our prospects make the nhl, in a perfect world we see...

Nuge McDavid Maksimov (shooter with some size)
Reider Draisaitl Puliarvi (great two way line with everything)
McLeod Strome Yamamoto (speed skill 2 way)
Benson Khaira Safin (gritty playmaker and some beef + skating ability)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
3 goals, 11 assts in 13 games?

is this our next top sixer?
I mean he's shaping up that way. It's nice to see him having success with good health as well.

If it were me, I would leave him down there all season (save for maybe a couple games at the end of the year) to let him have a strong healthy season in the AHL.

Reactions: McDrai

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Benson was always the kind of gamble you take with a 2nd rounder. His injuries were more of the freak variety than the chronic variety (like taylor hall). If he stays healthy and continues playing well in the A then he would be an improvement over some of the wingers we have right now aka Rattie.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
For me, the only thing that could keep Benson from becoming an NHLer who could consistently play in your top 6/top 9 would be his skating. He's a tad slow footed, though he has good edges and can turn on a dime. Health willing, he's got most everything else to succeed.

A full year in the AHL to get some confidence and work on his weaknesses would be best for him, though an injury callup wouldn't be unexpected if he keeps on this pace. It's not like the Oilers are awash in skilled wingers these days.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Benson was a player that people forgot about because of his freak injuries. But he was discussed a ton when he was 14

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Will be 21 to start next season, think he could make the jump to the NHL?

Oilers' Tyler Benson: Excellent first pro season

"Benson racked up three assists in AHL Bakersfield's 7-2 victory over Colorado on Wednesday.

Benson has been excellent in his first professional season. He currently ranks fourth amongst all AHL rookies in scoring with 34 points in 40 games, and his 29 assists are tied for fourth in the circuit, overall.

A second-round pick (32nd overall) of the Oilers in 2016, Benson dealt with all sorts of injuries during the course of his junior career, but he finally seems to be healthy.

Given the state of affairs in Edmonton these days, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Benson spends the later stages of the season in the NHL."

07b7fc6f-271f-4bc9-95d5-e23aa7ccb761.png

Reactions: Game 8

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’d like him to spend one more full season in the AHL before even considering giving him a shot. He’s doing fine as a rookie, but there is no dominance at this point. He missed so much developmental time in the last 3 years that it would be good to have him really get a solid footing.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I’d like him to spend one more full season in the AHL before even considering giving him a shot. He’s doing fine as a rookie, but there is no dominance at this point. He missed so much developmental time in the last 3 years that it would be good to have him really get a solid footing.

I think next year is his year to dominate the A and start getting call ups if he does start to dominate. If he doesn't, may be looking at a tweener. Basically, one more jump in his development should get him a shot.

Reactions: MessierII

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Will be 21 to start next season, think he could make the jump to the NHL?

Oilers' Tyler Benson: Excellent first pro season

"Benson racked up three assists in AHL Bakersfield's 7-2 victory over Colorado on Wednesday.

Benson has been excellent in his first professional season. He currently ranks fourth amongst all AHL rookies in scoring with 34 points in 40 games, and his 29 assists are tied for fourth in the circuit, overall.

A second-round pick (32nd overall) of the Oilers in 2016, Benson dealt with all sorts of injuries during the course of his junior career, but he finally seems to be healthy.

Given the state of affairs in Edmonton these days, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Benson spends the later stages of the season in the NHL."

07b7fc6f-271f-4bc9-95d5-e23aa7ccb761.png

Benson might just be the perfect winger for McDrai. An hard working, fast and playmaking winger.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
3 goals, 11 assts in 13 games?

is this our next top sixer?

I would say his lack or plus skating and goal scoring will hold him back.

A guy like Brodziak improved in skating enough to contribute in a bottom six role.

I'd be looking for Benson to become a playmaking version of that if he makes it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would say his lack or plus skating and goal scoring will hold him back.

A guy like Brodziak improved in skating enough to contribute in a bottom six role.

I'd be looking for Benson to become a playmaking version of that if he makes it.

There is no substitute for hockey IQ and Benson has it in droves. He has shown the ability to score in a variety of ways in junior, whether it be wrist shots, one timers, defelections, etc. If he plays with a quality playmaker he will score goals albeit as of this moment he is more of a playmaker than scorer at the pro level.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->