2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
There is no substitute for hockey IQ and Benson has it in droves. He has shown the ability to score in a variety of ways in junior, whether it be wrist shots, one timers, defelections, etc. If he plays with a quality playmaker he will score goals albeit as of this moment he is more of a playmaker than scorer at the pro level.

His best in junior was 27 goals. Was on pace to score 20 or less in other seasons. That's pretty underwhelming to me.

When I've watched him play, he's been a guy that will pass out of a prime scoring area. I don't see him ever being much of a goal scorer at the NHL level.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Toronto should have never drafted Morgan Reilly. ..but in hindsight he was the best pick in the top 5. Think about that for a second, try to not hurt yourself while doing so.
I seen Reilly play at the Prospects Game in Halifax the year we drafted Yak. To me, he was by far the best player on the ice. He reminded me of Coffey

Reactions: Beerfish

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His best in junior was 27 goals. Was on pace to score 20 or less in other seasons. That's pretty underwhelming to me.

When I've watched him play, he's been a guy that will pass out of a prime scoring area. I don't see him ever being much of a goal scorer at the NHL level.

People also crapped on RNH's and Barzal's junior goal scoring. The goals that he scores are pro types of goals. I think that he has what it takes to be a 15-20 goal scorer in his better seasons.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I know we're going a little off topic with all of the Reilly talk, but did anyone else hear Brian Burke a couple of months ago say that they had Yakupov on their "do not draft" list?

Apparently Yak was quite defiant with one of their scouts in a meeting.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
He's not McDavid fast but still faster than Drai
I don't think so. His skating is going to be his biggest issue to get to, and if he does, to be effective, at the next level.
Who knows though. Kids change.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
People also crapped on RNH's and Barzal's junior goal scoring. The goals that he scores are pro types of goals. I think that he has what it takes to be a 15-20 goal scorer in his better seasons.

Yeah and RNH and Barzal have been pretty pedestrian in scoring goals at the NHL level compared to their talent levels.

RNH is a first overall. Never hit 25 or 30 goals in a season.

I'd love it if Benson scores 15-20 goals a season in the NHL. Seems pretty optimistic to me though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think Benson was one of those guys that physically matured earlier than his peers, so dominated boys in the Juniors. He will be a good NHL player, but will need extra development time to learn that he can't just out muscle men.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, Benson needs to finish the year in Bakersfield and hopefully make a big push in the training camp.

I think he'll eventually be a really solid top 9 NHL player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know we're going a little off topic with all of the Reilly talk, but did anyone else hear Brian Burke a couple of months ago say that they had Yakupov on their "do not draft" list?

Apparently Yak was quite defiant with one of their scouts in a meeting.
He was on our OHL scouts do not draft list as well

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
1st in assists for AHL rookies right now (Marody is 3rd in assists as well).

5th in total points for AHL rookies.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wasn't a big fan of the pick. Him and the Yamamoto pick are too high risk for my tastes.

Don't like his lack of scoring.

Heard his speed isn't great.

No nhl shot and even average speed is not a good combo for a productive nhl career. He's not big either.

After saying all that negative... He has surpassed all my expectations and got his career back on track. He was a long shot prospect that honestly didn't show anything impressive in his injury studded time in junior. His ahl numbers and play is impressive and exactly where it needs to be to offset that injury riddled unspectacular career to date.

To be perfectly honest there doesn't seem to be much of rhyme or reason for what skills/players need to make a successful jump to the nhl with.

He is back on track. Keeping expectations reasonable I'm really looking forward to him and Maxismov maybe being a dynamic duo next year in the AHL rather than him making the nhl roster next year.

Primarily because of his injury history I think it makes sense to be given another full year in the AHL before seriously giving him a real look at the nhl level. Two impressive injury free years in a stable environment "could" really be exactly what is needed to develop him "best".

As good as he has been he turns 21 in a few months so it's definitely more on track than "he's omfg amazing".

If he somehow pushes his way on to the nhl team obviously that's great but if I was predicting a good development path for him it would be.

Strong finish this year regular season plus a deep successful playoff run. Hopefully scoring more.

A big offseason where he trains crazy hard without injury. Improves his skating and shooting particularly. Intense offseason strength and skill training sometimes makes a players career.

Next year going from impressive ahl rookie to dominate ahl softmore is a lot harder than it sounds.

I don't know why but I always think of David Krejci when I think of Benson. Career wise Benson is a long ways off what Krejci managed to do at the same point.

Currently I think if everything goes great that is Bensons ceiling.

A long and hard road before we are talking about this guy actually helping our team win. 3 years before that happens, if it happens, seems optimistic.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
8th in the league for assists too, all players included.

I've seen about 10 games now, and Benson always seems like one of the best players. I was not sold on Benson before this year at all, but I've been really impressed.
Serious question.
How does his footspeed/quickness look at that level? Fast? Average? Slow?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He seems like a fine skater to me, not bad, not great, but a bit above average. Something he can work on, but doesn't hold him back.

With the injuries that he had in years past he couldn't work on skating, so this offseason he could take another step forward since last offseason was his first time in years that he could work hard on his skating.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wasn't a big fan of the pick. Him and the Yamamoto pick are too high risk for my tastes.

Don't like his lack of scoring.

Heard his speed isn't great.

No nhl shot and even average speed is not a good combo for a productive nhl career. He's not big either.

After saying all that negative... He has surpassed all my expectations and got his career back on track. He was a long shot prospect that honestly didn't show anything impressive in his injury studded time in junior. His ahl numbers and play is impressive and exactly where it needs to be to offset that injury riddled unspectacular career to date.

To be perfectly honest there doesn't seem to be much of rhyme or reason for what skills/players need to make a successful jump to the nhl with.

He is back on track. Keeping expectations reasonable I'm really looking forward to him and Maxismov maybe being a dynamic duo next year in the AHL rather than him making the nhl roster next year.

Primarily because of his injury history I think it makes sense to be given another full year in the AHL before seriously giving him a real look at the nhl level. Two impressive injury free years in a stable environment "could" really be exactly what is needed to develop him "best".

As good as he has been he turns 21 in a few months so it's definitely more on track than "he's omfg amazing".

If he somehow pushes his way on to the nhl team obviously that's great but if I was predicting a good development path for him it would be.

Strong finish this year regular season plus a deep successful playoff run. Hopefully scoring more.

A big offseason where he trains crazy hard without injury. Improves his skating and shooting particularly. Intense offseason strength and skill training sometimes makes a players career.

Next year going from impressive ahl rookie to dominate ahl softmore is a lot harder than it sounds.

I don't know why but I always think of David Krejci when I think of Benson. Career wise Benson is a long ways off what Krejci managed to do at the same point.

Currently I think if everything goes great that is Bensons ceiling.

A long and hard road before we are talking about this guy actually helping our team win. 3 years before that happens, if it happens, seems optimistic.
I see him spending most of next year in the AHL with a few good moments in call ups. Year after he will be a full time NHLer.

Reactions: Aerchon

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Tied for third in assists now in his rookie season.

d6oEffL.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad