2016 ALWC: Toronto Blue Jays vs Baltimore Orioles

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Not a very well managed game, on either side. Sure, the bullpens both did their part, but Gibbons really should have held off on using Osuna, and DEFINITELY shouldn't have put him out there for a second inning. Just plain stupidity. :madfire:

Could have just as easily kept Grilli on the mound. We'll soon see how bad a mistake it was to overwork Osuna.

Also, another home playoff game, another reason for American announcers to decry us "boorish" Canadian fans, all because of one ****ing idiot who nearly pegged Kim with a full tallboy. I hope he took a few punches from the fans around him before being tossed from the stadium.

What? Everyone uses Osuna in that situation, can't get a save at home(not like that should be the justification anyway), closer always comes into a tie game in the top of the 9th. And with how puke the Jays pen has been you use him for 2. Even Liriano has been good Osuna is your best guy. He can go 2. You don't second guess that decision in hindsight because he got hurt.

I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with either of those decision

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Also wasn't there a bottle throwing incident last season as well? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
No issues with how Osuna was handled either. We need to win - use your best pitcher, unlike a certain manager.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Also wasn't there a bottle throwing incident last season as well? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

Rangers series game 5 that weird run where Martin threw the ball off Choo's bat to plate the runner from 3rd. Fans went nuts and threw everything on the field.

That was embarrassing as well, but at least you can understand the frustration(though you still shouldn't throw stuff on the field). This was just downright stupid, I should try to get arrested and eliminate any chance the hitter gets on because of interference, not to even mention the danger of it which is awful too.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Rangers series game 5 that weird run where Martin threw the ball off Choo's bat to plate the runner from 3rd. Fans went nuts and threw everything on the field.

That was embarrassing as well, but at least you can understand the frustration(though you still shouldn't throw stuff on the field). This was just downright stupid, I should try to get arrested and eliminate any chance the hitter gets on because of interference, not to even mention the danger of it which is awful too.

Why am i not surprised it was Jays/Rangers? This series is going to be epic.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
What? Everyone uses Osuna in that situation, can't get a save at home(not like that should be the justification anyway), closer always comes into a tie game in the top of the 9th. And with how puke the Jays pen has been you use him for 2. Even Liriano has been good Osuna is your best guy. He can go 2. You don't second guess that decision in hindsight because he got hurt.

I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with either of those decision
Also, I would not feel safe giving Grilli a second inning of work.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
So how amazing was that Liriano trade? Get a dominate Liriano and 2 legit prospects. Yes please.

Everyone with a brain in Pgh knew that trade was a disaster. The fact that Liriano is dominating again (albeit with hitters who don't know he can't really hit the strikezone) is just salt on the wound.

Now how long until we find out Huntington heads to Toronto in the next year or so? It makes perfect sense.

Also, Jimenez was garbage. Reminded me of the Bucs putting out Jared Hughes or Tony Watson this year. You knew bad things were going to happen.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Why am i not surprised it was Jays/Rangers? This series is going to be epic.

Will be the highest viewed series, IMO. Everyone and their dog will be watching for more drama/batflips/punches.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not a very well managed game, on either side. Sure, the bullpens both did their part, but Gibbons really should have held off on using Osuna, and DEFINITELY shouldn't have put him out there for a second inning. Just plain stupidity. :madfire:

Could have just as easily kept Grilli on the mound. We'll soon see how bad a mistake it was to overwork Osuna.

Also, another home playoff game, another reason for American announcers to decry us "boorish" Canadian fans, all because of one ****ing idiot who nearly pegged Kim with a full tallboy. I hope he took a few punches from the fans around him before being tossed from the stadium.

Gibbons did nothing wrong with the pen tonight come on.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Belieber, Blackhawkswincup, Caps Circle, Josepho, KesselBuiltMyHotrod, Kramerica Industries, Krisbryantisbest, Marc the Habs Fan, mymerlincat, Philly85, Stamkos Intolerant, Stammer Time, Taro Tsujimoto, Tecumseh, Zeus54
tumblr_nkyztzZk011rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Yup, I was very wrong. Especially since I said the Orioles would win a bullpen battle...

Well, they might have if actual relievers had kept pitching.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not using Britton is possibly the most bizarre managerial decision I've ever seen.

It's just automatic that you use the best reliever in baseball at some point before going to starters.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Everyone with a brain in Pgh knew that trade was a disaster. The fact that Liriano is dominating again (albeit with hitters who don't know he can't really hit the strikezone) is just salt on the wound.

Now how long until we find out Huntington heads to Toronto in the next year or so? It makes perfect sense.

Also, Jimenez was garbage. Reminded me of the Bucs putting out Jared Hughes or Tony Watson this year. You knew bad things were going to happen.

Watson's soul-crushing 9th inning HR's that he surrendered to Soler/Carpenter/Grichuk pretty much killed the Pirates' faint WC hopes.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I can see why Showalter didn't use Britton, it was tied and he used his other pitchers to do the work. They did play well up until the 11th.

If the Orioles had the leaks then he would've used him.

Should've, would've, could've

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Was at the game. Great atmosphere, absolute insanity with the Edwin HR.

That said, I hate that this beer throwing thing happened again. ****ing idiots. I hope they were pointed out to security. Just unnecessary.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I can see why Showalter didn't use Britton, it was tied and he used his other pitchers to do the work. They did play well up until the 11th.

Nah, it's a pretty indefensible non-move. They lost the game with a starter on the mound while their best reliever who could have got them two shutdown innings easy sat in the bullpen twiddling his thumbs. If he can trust Jimenez to face the top of the Jays order, he should trust him or whoever else if he already used Britton and a save opp came up.

He wanted to use Ubaldo that inning, okay. But runners on the corners on good hits off him and you pitch to EE with a base open and Joey Bats coming up, whose like 3/40 career vs Ubaldo? Does not compute. A groundball would have gotten them out of it and Britton is a groundball god.

Now the O's are out without using their best pitcher. Foolish.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

All the more reason to use him. Top of the lineup coming up, why go to Ubaldo who struggles early in games to face the heart of the order? You use Britton there every time. The whole "saves" thing is garbage and I'd be pissed if I was the Os.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad