2016 ALWC: Toronto Blue Jays vs Baltimore Orioles

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
All the more reason to use him. Top of the lineup coming up, why go to Ubaldo who struggles early in games to face the heart of the order? You use Britton there every time. The whole "saves" thing is garbage and I'd be pissed if I was the Os.

Better to save him if they get the lead the next inning. Yes that's a big IF as we saw last night but Showalter even said he wanted to use some of his other options first and "save" him.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Better to save him if they get the lead the next inning. Yes that's a big IF as we saw last night but Showalter even said he wanted to use some of his other options first and "save" him.

So the logic is to play with fire and risk your season by using inferior pitchers? Not that Britton is a guarantee, but he's a hell of a lot better than Jimenez/Duensing/Brach/etc.

I believe if Britton played and shutdown the offense, it could have changed the tides on the Jays psychologically, especially with how pisspoor the Jays are in Extra Innings.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Angelos is too cheap to fire him before his contract ends.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Showalter goes nowhere. I don't even want to imagine O's without him. That terrible decision doesn't change the truth: he's top 5 manager in the game, 5 winning seasons in row with that joke of starting pitching and etc.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
That he is a top 5 manager in baseball? He just got bodied by John Gibbons. Sorry I am not buying the "genius" of Buck Showalter.
There's a legitimate argument he has been top 5 in his stint with the O's. Using one game and essentially one poor decision to discredit the rest of his tenure isn't fair.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
There's a legitimate argument he has been top 5 in his stint with the O's. Using one game and essentially one poor decision to discredit the rest of his tenure isn't fair.

I'm not trying to say he is a bad manager....I just can't help but role my eyes at the genius narrative that was going around before the game and in general really. He is an average manager. Just like John Gibbons is an average manager. If he was really a "genius" or a top 5 manager in baseball he doesn't have a night like he did last night. You butcher the single most important game of the season that is what people will remember.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I'm not trying to say he is a bad manager....I just can't help but role my eyes at the genius narrative that was going around before the game and in general really. He is an average manager. Just like John Gibbons is an average manager. If he was really a "genius" or a top 5 manager in baseball he doesn't have a night like he did last night. You butcher the single most important game of the season that is what people will remember.
One game cannot erase what he did in last five seasons with O's bullpen. It was poor decision but that doesn't make him average. Orioles gave up something like two runs in extra innings all season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Showalter goes nowhere. I don't even want to imagine O's without him. That terrible decision doesn't change the truth: he's top 5 manager in the game, 5 winning seasons in row with that joke of starting pitching and etc.

Maddon, Sabean, Francona, Matheny, Yost, Girardi, .... I'm already at 6 off the top of my head. :help:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Who is Sabean

And lol Yost

Sabean is the executive vice president of baseball operations of the San Francisco Giants, unless he meant Nick Saban the football coach.

Either of which would have brought Britton into that game last night

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Love the fact that it was a media guy tossed the beer can at the Birds

That wasn't the culprit and I think the Police may end up having to apologize to him.

He was clearly drinking out of a plastic cup and was still drinking out of it after the toss, you can actually see the corner of the cup in the photo below. It's peeking out above the guy in front of him's shoulder.

I have the game saved and have rewatched it several times zoomed in on the crowd and the culprit isn't visible in the photo they used to identify Pagan.

Watching the video in frame by frame you can actually see the can and an arm come up from directly behind the guy in the white hat and in the photo you can also clearly see the people in the vicinity looking at the spot where they are sitting.

74iuLDp.jpg

It even looks like the guy directly behind the thrower might have gotten some splashed on him during the throw based on the way he's holding his arm.

I doubt they'll ever be caught unless someone turns them in or Rogers Centre has some cameras that are pointed at fans and not the game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It still blows my mind that whoever tossed it was able to escape the area without getting tackled or even chased.

(I also originally thought the thrower was female, based on an earlier slow-mo vid that was uploaded but seems to have vanished)

If they want to avoid vigilante justice, the police better apologize to that Postmedia guy, though. Release a follow-up saying their intel was wrong.

Seriously, though, I remember watching it happen and think, "well at least that ******* is getting tossed from the game, what an idiot".

Didn't even imagine that they'd still be looking for him/her. Did the whole section fall asleep?!

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
wait is someone actually arguing that mike matheny and ned yost are better managers than buck showalter?

holy smokes. i certainly didn't agree with his decision on britton but 9999/10000 times showalter is a master at using a bullpen. he does more with less than most managers in baseball and is absolutely one of the best in the league.

mike matheny couldn't manage a bullpen if his ****ing life depended on it. of all the talk yesterday about the britton decision...matheny makes decisions like that a few times a week! ned yost might as well have put name tags on guys reading "sixth inning" "seventh inning" "eighth inning" and "closer". if the royals were in any sort of tie game or whatever he was no different, saving davis to get outs that might never come.

the britton decision was wrong. i understand buck's thinking of it but it's still wrong no matter how you slice it. that certainly doesn't change that he got a team with a pitching staff made out of fishing line and sugru to the 11th inning of a stupid win-and-you're-in game. it especially doesn't mean he's a worse manager than mike matheny(!) and ned yost(!!). certainly not worse than brian sabean who has literally never managed a professional game in his life.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Supposedly the police suspect turned himself in.

(The guy in the bottom left corner of the picture is almost meme-worthy)

Jerry-Seinfeld-No-Thanks-and-Leave.gif

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad