Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXVI | Trade Deadline Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensArmy

Feb 11, 2017
I wouldn't mind Duchene with Geno either, but I think Duchene with Sid makes the most sense. I really wouldn't be upset with Duchene anywhere in the top three lines really. I'd rather he play with Sid or Geno, but a third line with Duchene and Kessel would be ridiculous as well.

And again, for clarification, I know we're not getting Duchene. I'm just bored out of my mind trying to fix my sleep schedule, and spitballing about the TDL. In reality, I think we probably bring in a depth forward and one or both of Kulikov and Smith for the blueline while finally finding a taker for MAF.

If Eklund says where getting Duchene, then it's going to happen

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Are we really talking about trading Sheary? He's proven that he's a very good player in his own right, he's still young enough to believe there's some more upside and he's extremely cheap. He's exactly the sort of player that you don't move.

Is Duchene better? Probably, but he'd damn well better be with his $6 million contract. I wouldn't mind acquiring Duchene, but I'm not moving Sheary for him. The latter is far more valuable in terms of cost relative to production and not far off in terms of absolute production irrespective of anything else.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Are we really talking about trading Sheary? He's proven that he's a very good player in his own right, he's still young enough to believe there's some more upside and he's extremely cheap. He's exactly the sort of player that you don't move.

Is Duchene better? Probably, but he'd damn well better be with his $6 million contract. I wouldn't mind acquiring Duchene, but I'm not moving Sheary for him. The latter is far more valuable in terms of cost relative to production and not far off in terms of absolute production irrespective of anything else.

While I won't disagree once one starts looking at their contracts, I kinda disagree when talking about overall production. Duchene plays for the worst team in the league. Sheary plays with the best center/player in the league on the highest scoring team in the league. So while I do not think that Sheary's production is entirely (or even mostly) due to him being paired with Crosby, I do think that there's a bump there and that between that bump and Duchene playing for the worst team in the league that trying to compare their production doesn't make a lot of sense.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I think some people are trading Spong and Jarry too soon. I don't have a huuuuuge argument for keeping Jarry but I don't think we should be including him unless it's in a huge deal (I guess Duchene is that) but I'm not happy about Sprong AND Jarry being included. Likely a minority on that I suppose seeing as my biggest likes are Sprong, Sundy and Jarry

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I think everyone is trading Spong and Jarry too soon. I don't have a huuuuuge argument for keeping Jarry but I don't think we should be including him unless it's in a huge deal (I guess Duchene is that) but I'm not happy about Sprong AND Jarry being included. Likely a minority on that I suppose seeing as my biggest likes are Sprong, Sundy and Jarry

Jarry is never going to hold a lot of value in a trade so if a team wants him and it works for us it's fine. Especially considering Murrays age, performance and ability.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
While I won't disagree once one starts looking at their contracts, I kinda disagree when talking about overall production. Duchene plays for the worst team in the league. Sheary plays with the best center/player in the league on the highest scoring team in the league. So while I do not think that Sheary's production is entirely (or even mostly) due to him being paired with Crosby, I do think that there's a bump there and that between that bump and Duchene playing for the worst team in the league that trying to compare their production doesn't make a lot of sense.

Duchene also gets an additional 3+ minutes of ice-time and quite a bit more time on the PP. Only 2 of Sheary's points this year have come with the man advantage. Just as you can point to Colorado being abysmal as a factor in Duchene's production, differences in usage are also relevant. Sheary was on pace for 68 points before he got injured. Duchene scored 67 points his second season and has only topped that once since. Comparing their production definitely makes sense, but it is a bit ambiguous as to who is actually better. I feel like you're painting a picture of Duchene that's a bit rosier than he deserves, but I do like him and am not even arguing that Sheary's better. I said that they were close in terms of absolute production and that much is undeniable.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wings are getting a lot of calls on Smith, but they might sign him to an extension instead of trading him. They'll likely not trade him until closer to the trade deadline.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Wings are getting a lot of calls on Smith, but they might sign him to an extension instead of trading him. They'll likely not trade him until closer to the trade deadline.

Some wings fans are saying he'll be traded because he probably won't re sign but yeah they'll wait it out for the highest bidder. Would anyone give more than a 3rd though?

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
And once again, if we are looking to play MD as a winger I rather just get GL instead....
And yes, I trust Avs fans judgement the most on this.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And once again, if we are looking to play MD as a winger I rather just get GL instead....
And yes, I trust Avs fans judgement the most on this.

Duchene fits the system a lot better than Landeskog does and he's a lot more flexible with what positions he can play though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Wideman is a healthy scratch tonight

Fleury for Johnson and Wideman with retention (where Wideman becomes the #7) is something I could see in theory.

JR: Kunitz, Fleury, Bonino thanks for your time in Pittsburgh

aaaaaannnndddd-its-gone.jpg

Copying this from the PGT, because IMO, it's right on the money. As I said in reply:

If that's the message JR sends this trade deadline, then I'll believe the chance is real. I compared last year to this year for a few people, said last year, I knew they could beat anyone. This year, I think they can. THIS ultimately is what JR needs to rectify through the deadline. Turn cautious optimism into confidence.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Fleury for Johnson and Wideman with retention (where Wideman becomes the #7) is something I could see in theory.

Copying this from the PGT, because IMO, it's right on the money. As I said in reply:

If that's the message JR sends this trade deadline, then I'll believe the chance is real. I compared last year to this year for a few people, said last year, I knew they could beat anyone. This year, I think they can. THIS ultimately is what JR needs to rectify through the deadline. Turn cautious optimism into confidence.
Have the winds been whispering anything the leads you to suspect the dead wood might actually be on the way out or is it just a beautiful dream?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If there's any merit to the idea of Fleury to Calgary, tonight bodes well for our chances.

Calgary had been leading Nashville 4-1.

It's now 5-4 Preds. :laugh:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Watching the Flames game. Elliot isn't the problem, lack of killer instinct for the rest of the team has been.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not surprised. They got Stone so one of their RHD has to sit. Wideman is god awful.

He's had a rough year and is sloooow now. Some team will get desperate and pick him up though. He'd be a decent depth guy for a run, but his cap hit is high for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark