Prospect Info: 2016-17 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Post-Draft here are my top 20 prospects (and before anybody freaks, Siemens isn't on here because he is simply too old at this point):

1. Cale Makar - Everybody knows my opinion on the risk here (and I think it is a lot), but the talent speaks for itself. Every skill you could really want in a puck moving defensemen. The size and translation worries are going to be there until he proves otherwise.
2. Tyson Jost - He is a going to be a really good NHL player. I worry about his size with the role he is going to play and I don't think I am as high on his ceiling as most (1b/2a sort of center). That said, he should be a really good #2C that gives it all on both ends of the ice and puts up ~55 points.
3. Igor Shvyryov - People will think I am off the rails here, but I am very high on this kid. The offensive skill set is elite. He is a hard worker and puts in a really good effort defensively. I really, really hope he gets over to NA. That and how he transitions to NA physicality and ice are my only real questions. He could be a huge get.
4. Nicolas Meloche - Plays a very pro friendly game, mean as hell, plus skater (still needs some work), and has a bit of offensive punch to his game. I think he is a real solid bet to become a middle pairing D with upside for more. He should probably get a full year in the AHL, but he is closer than some believe.
5. Chris Bigras - I'm still a big, big fan of his game. Last year was a bump in the road for a few reasons, and this year he has to come into camp in tip top shape and impress the coaching staff... or I could see him being trade bait.
6. JT Compher - There isn't much to not like here and he will graduate in the fall. His overall skill level and how it translates to the NHL will determine if he is more of a 2nd or 3rd liner. He should be a really good middle 6 player for a while.
7. Conor Timmins - I'm a very big fan of this kid, and really this 5-7 group could be put in any order and I would say too much. Skating needs work, but considering how much it progressed last summer when he worked with his own skating coach... I expect the rest to get worked out. Very smart player with a decent amount of offensive upside. Biggest worry is he is more of a rusher than a passer. If he is held to a strict structure, he might struggle.
8. AJ Greer - Only reason he is this low is simple additions. He really flashed his potential early in the year. If he can be that player consistently, he can be an impact top 6 PF. If he can't he should still make the NHL, but in a lesser role. I think he should spend another half to full season in the AHL to work on that consistency.
9. Cam Morrison - I think the college transition was a little rougher than expected, but he came out on the other side alright. Still produced around where I thought he should. I'm expecting a breakout season for him being around a PPG player and being a fixture on the top line. Needs to work on his agility, and slowing the game down with the puck on his stick (very bull in the China shop mentality). I think there is a lot of promise here for a middle 6 goal scoring forward with some PF tendencies.
10. JC Beaudin - This might ruffle some feathers here, but I think he struggled becoming the 'go-to' guy in RN. A bit like Morrison, I think he came out on the other side okay and thrived in the playoffs. That gives me hope, but it might take a couple pro years for the offense to really come around at a higher level. Tempered expectations for his role in SA should be had. A 30-35 point season while establishing himself as a middle 6 center. As smart as the kid is and with his skating ability, I think a NHL role will be carved out. Just more of a question on which line.
11. Anton Lindholm - I think his ceiling is pretty limited (4/5 at best, but a guy you really want as a 5), but he plays a game I really appreciate. It is very quiet, yet very effective. Little to no offensive upside, but will move the puck well. If only he was a bit bigger...
12. Andrei Mironov - He could easily be up this list. Seems to be a modern throwback sort of D. Great size, nasty to play against, keeps it simple. It doesn't seem there is much offense here, but if he can play a safe and physical game next to a puck mover I think he has a good shot at a bottom 2 pairing role.
13. Rocco Grimaldi - Yeah he is tiny, and I still don't have a lot of confidence in a long-term NHL future... but he has earned a shot at a top 9 role. Very skilled.
14. Spencer Martin - Probably one of the more controversial placements. He started off the year great... got called up and it all fell apart (FTR I don't blame him a ton for this). I want to see a lot more consistency, and I don't think he should be called up outside of an emergency. Let him have a full year in the AHL.
15. Nick Henry - The shoulder issue gives me a bit more hope for him. His struggles in a bigger role could be attributed a bit to that. I like that out of all the wing prospects, he is probably the most versatile. I could see him being a 3rd liner.
16. Denis Smirnov - His frame worries me more than his height, but there is no doubting his skill and scoring potential. Should compete for the Hobey Baker next season and joining the AHL club in 18-19. How he deals with the added physicality will be huge.
17. Nate Clurman - Most of what I have on him is 2nd hand, but I get rave reviews from people I trust and I like what (little) I have seen. Phenomenal skill set and a real good frame to go with it. I'm stoked that he is going to Tri-City and I think he has a real shot of having a 40+ point season there.
18. Josh Anderson - I think he is a bit underrated and probably even a bit low on here. A true throwback D. Puck skills will be an issue and the one that very well could hold him back from a NHL role.
19. Sergei Boikov - I think once he got his feet wet he was pretty damn solid. Not much offense, but moves the puck solidly enough. Good size and can play a physical game. Not sure he has long-term NHL chops, but he should be a really good D for SA next year.
20. Nicky Leivermann - Small, but talented kid. Excellent character and work ethic. Moving up to Penticton will only be good for him next year. He needs the intermediate step to clean up his defensive game and work on his reads, but he could shoot up this list real quick.

HM: Gustav Olhaver - I'm really hoping things just clicked for him... He was beyond terrible here in NA, but seemed to rebound quite well last year. A forward with his size should be given the full allotment of time before giving up on. If he is still progressing, I think he should get a contract before his rights fully expire. At least there are 2 seasons.
HM: Adam Werner - Stole the starting job and then fell back to earth. Hopefully he can find some consistency and build upon the early part of last seasons. The Avs really kinda need him to pan out into something. The goalie depth is bad.

Nice post, thank you. Appreciate you putting in the time to put that together.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know some people thought Compher would jump to the NHL, but I went on record saying he wasn't ready physically yet after seeing him in the Worlds. He was also a 2nd round pick so he didn't quite have the same clout as a 1st rounder.

Jost on the other hand is really close. I'm more concerned with him working on the explosiveness in his skating than his physicality. His skating will allow him to play his game. Similar to Makar I think it's possible he starts down in the AHL next year, but I think that's unlikely. Both are high 1st rounders, highly talented, and highly committed to working on their weaknesses physically.

The thing that might make Makar start in the AHL is the same thing that made Barrie stay down there. He needed to work on his defensive positioning, and more importantly he wasn't playing his game in the NHL. He needed to grab the puck and go, instead of overthinking things. I think Makar will be more confident on the latter part, and if he's not he won't sign yet.

You have some solid justification that makes it easy to follow your thought process, but I don't think we can say that the organization has a history of making any sort of promises on where a guy will play. Which is probably one of the reasons they struggle with the college UFAs. I think that outweighs some of your points IMO.

I think these guys can add muscle, but you can't force physical maturity. Bringing these guys in too early subjects them to injury IMO. I don't care how good of skaters they are, they are going to get hit like Bigras, and RNH, and Murray. All of them were/are good to above average skaters.

Compher may have been a second rounder, but he had proven himself while being fairly close to being a UFA as well. If he really didn't want to be in the AHL he could have snubbed the teams offers easily. He might have actually had the most leverage of any of these guys.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nantel and Henley don't even crack the HMs even though we could have a nice 4th line PKer (or two) there...nice...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Nantel and Henley don't even crack the HMs even though we could have a nice 4th line PKer (or two) there...nice...

Henley won't be here much longer. I can expound my thoughts on Nantel when the polls come around.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Henley won't be here much longer. I can expound my thoughts on Nantel when the polls come around.

Why can't we keep any of our AHL vets? I never understood why they all end up moving on. It's not like Texas is a crappy place to live either.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Is that your just your guess? Cause I would love for Henley to stick around as a leader in SA who can give us a legit 4th line PKer to call up.

Curious to hear what your thoughts on Nantel are then

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is that your just your guess? Cause I would love for Henley to stick around as a leader in SA who can give us a legit 4th line PKer to call up.

Henley wasn't qualified, so not really a guess.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

If we wanted to keep Henley we would have qualified him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A lot of people said the same thing about Jost and Compher. Although I would agree that Makar probably needs two years in College.

I hate it when NHL teams bring in these skinny kids who haven't developed enough physically, and it results in players like Ryan Murray and RNH who are constantly injured.

I highly doubt they'd tell him hes going straight to the AHL anyways. They'll tell him he'll be given a legit shot to make the team out of camp like I'm sure they did with Compher, Jost, and Mikko.

Well, the whole selling point of Murray was that he was NHL ready. And frankly I don't think conditioning has much to do with his failure in the NHL. Some bodies just don't hold up to the rigors of pro hockey.

I am curious as to what will happen to RNH. It's not often in recent times for a former 1st overall to disappear like that. Even Yakupov is at least getting press while stumbling his way out of the league.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well, the whole selling point of Murray was that he was NHL ready. And frankly I don't think conditioning has much to do with his failure in the NHL. Some bodies just don't hold up to the rigors of pro hockey.

I am curious as to what will happen to RNH. It's not often in recent times for a former 1st overall to disappear like that. Even Yakupov is at least getting press while stumbling his way out of the league.

Murray probably isn't the most ideal example, but he is an example of injuries derailing a players development.

I'm not really talking about conditioning either. Physical maturity and conditioning are not necessarily synonymous IMO. While i'll admit their conditioning can help of course. There is some science to it, ie bone density, when the growth plates close, coordination, etc. I'm no expert but I think it's relevant, and not something that can be artificially rushed through hard work in a gym.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Post-Draft here are my top 20 prospects (and before anybody freaks, Siemens isn't on here because he is simply too old at this point):

1. Cale Makar - Everybody knows my opinion on the risk here (and I think it is a lot), but the talent speaks for itself. Every skill you could really want in a puck moving defensemen. The size and translation worries are going to be there until he proves otherwise.
2. Tyson Jost - He is a going to be a really good NHL player. I worry about his size with the role he is going to play and I don't think I am as high on his ceiling as most (1b/2a sort of center). That said, he should be a really good #2C that gives it all on both ends of the ice and puts up ~55 points.
3. Igor Shvyryov - People will think I am off the rails here, but I am very high on this kid. The offensive skill set is elite. He is a hard worker and puts in a really good effort defensively. I really, really hope he gets over to NA. That and how he transitions to NA physicality and ice are my only real questions. He could be a huge get.
4. Nicolas Meloche - Plays a very pro friendly game, mean as hell, plus skater (still needs some work), and has a bit of offensive punch to his game. I think he is a real solid bet to become a middle pairing D with upside for more. He should probably get a full year in the AHL, but he is closer than some believe.
5. Chris Bigras - I'm still a big, big fan of his game. Last year was a bump in the road for a few reasons, and this year he has to come into camp in tip top shape and impress the coaching staff... or I could see him being trade bait.
6. JT Compher - There isn't much to not like here and he will graduate in the fall. His overall skill level and how it translates to the NHL will determine if he is more of a 2nd or 3rd liner. He should be a really good middle 6 player for a while.
7. Conor Timmins - I'm a very big fan of this kid, and really this 5-7 group could be put in any order and I would say too much. Skating needs work, but considering how much it progressed last summer when he worked with his own skating coach... I expect the rest to get worked out. Very smart player with a decent amount of offensive upside. Biggest worry is he is more of a rusher than a passer. If he is held to a strict structure, he might struggle.
8. AJ Greer - Only reason he is this low is simple additions. He really flashed his potential early in the year. If he can be that player consistently, he can be an impact top 6 PF. If he can't he should still make the NHL, but in a lesser role. I think he should spend another half to full season in the AHL to work on that consistency.
9. Cam Morrison - I think the college transition was a little rougher than expected, but he came out on the other side alright. Still produced around where I thought he should. I'm expecting a breakout season for him being around a PPG player and being a fixture on the top line. Needs to work on his agility, and slowing the game down with the puck on his stick (very bull in the China shop mentality). I think there is a lot of promise here for a middle 6 goal scoring forward with some PF tendencies.
10. JC Beaudin - This might ruffle some feathers here, but I think he struggled becoming the 'go-to' guy in RN. A bit like Morrison, I think he came out on the other side okay and thrived in the playoffs. That gives me hope, but it might take a couple pro years for the offense to really come around at a higher level. Tempered expectations for his role in SA should be had. A 30-35 point season while establishing himself as a middle 6 center. As smart as the kid is and with his skating ability, I think a NHL role will be carved out. Just more of a question on which line.
11. Anton Lindholm - I think his ceiling is pretty limited (4/5 at best, but a guy you really want as a 5), but he plays a game I really appreciate. It is very quiet, yet very effective. Little to no offensive upside, but will move the puck well. If only he was a bit bigger...
12. Andrei Mironov - He could easily be up this list. Seems to be a modern throwback sort of D. Great size, nasty to play against, keeps it simple. It doesn't seem there is much offense here, but if he can play a safe and physical game next to a puck mover I think he has a good shot at a bottom 2 pairing role.
13. Rocco Grimaldi - Yeah he is tiny, and I still don't have a lot of confidence in a long-term NHL future... but he has earned a shot at a top 9 role. Very skilled.
14. Spencer Martin - Probably one of the more controversial placements. He started off the year great... got called up and it all fell apart (FTR I don't blame him a ton for this). I want to see a lot more consistency, and I don't think he should be called up outside of an emergency. Let him have a full year in the AHL.
15. Nick Henry - The shoulder issue gives me a bit more hope for him. His struggles in a bigger role could be attributed a bit to that. I like that out of all the wing prospects, he is probably the most versatile. I could see him being a 3rd liner.
16. Denis Smirnov - His frame worries me more than his height, but there is no doubting his skill and scoring potential. Should compete for the Hobey Baker next season and joining the AHL club in 18-19. How he deals with the added physicality will be huge.
17. Nate Clurman - Most of what I have on him is 2nd hand, but I get rave reviews from people I trust and I like what (little) I have seen. Phenomenal skill set and a real good frame to go with it. I'm stoked that he is going to Tri-City and I think he has a real shot of having a 40+ point season there.
18. Josh Anderson - I think he is a bit underrated and probably even a bit low on here. A true throwback D. Puck skills will be an issue and the one that very well could hold him back from a NHL role.
19. Sergei Boikov - I think once he got his feet wet he was pretty damn solid. Not much offense, but moves the puck solidly enough. Good size and can play a physical game. Not sure he has long-term NHL chops, but he should be a really good D for SA next year.
20. Nicky Leivermann - Small, but talented kid. Excellent character and work ethic. Moving up to Penticton will only be good for him next year. He needs the intermediate step to clean up his defensive game and work on his reads, but he could shoot up this list real quick.

HM: Gustav Olhaver - I'm really hoping things just clicked for him... He was beyond terrible here in NA, but seemed to rebound quite well last year. A forward with his size should be given the full allotment of time before giving up on. If he is still progressing, I think he should get a contract before his rights fully expire. At least there are 2 seasons.
HM: Adam Werner - Stole the starting job and then fell back to earth. Hopefully he can find some consistency and build upon the early part of last seasons. The Avs really kinda need him to pan out into something. The goalie depth is bad.

Awesome stuff man, thanks.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Hi everyone!

I was hoping that you'd be able to help me out. I am currently running a fantasy game on the Rangers board. Based on how a prospect is described on HF (i.e. you need to play a certain number of games in the NHL to be considered graduated) I need a list of your teams top 10 prospects if you don't include players drafted in the entry draft this year.

Would you be able to provide me a list of your top prospects prior to this years entry draft, I would really help me out for my game.

Thanks in advance!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Hi everyone!

I was hoping that you'd be able to help me out. I am currently running a fantasy game on the Rangers board. Based on how a prospect is described on HF (i.e. you need to play a certain number of games in the NHL to be considered graduated) I need a list of your teams top 10 prospects if you don't include players drafted in the entry draft this year.

Would you be able to provide me a list of your top prospects prior to this years entry draft, I would really help me out for my game.

Thanks in advance!

Tyson Jost
Nicolas Meloche
Chris Bigras
AJ Greer
JT Compher
JC Beaudin
Cam Morrison
Spencer Martin
Andrei Mironov
Anton Lindholm

Not everyone will agree with that but

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!

IMO the top 10 excluding this years draft would be:

1. Jost
2. Meloche
3. Compher
4. Greer
5. Bigras
6. Morrison
7. Mironov
8. Beaudin
9. Lindholm
10. Martin

If Rantanen still counts he'd be #1 and everyone else moves down a spot.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Tyson Jost
Nicolas Meloche
Chris Bigras
AJ Greer
JT Compher
JC Beaudin
Cam Morrison
Spencer Martin
Andrei Mironov
Anton Lindholm

Not everyone will agree with that but

I'd say this is pretty similar to mine. I still believe Bigras is that high. It will be interesting to see how he is used this year.

I'm guessing Bigras, Jost, Mironov and Greer all graduate this year with an outside chance that Lindholm does as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd say this is pretty similar to mine. I still believe Bigras is that high. It will be interesting to see how he is used this year.

I'm guessing Bigras, Jost, Mironov and Greer all graduate this year with an outside chance that Lindholm does as well.

Hopefully, that would be fun to see but it would also mean lots of work ahead to replenish the pool.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have a slightly different question. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the potential and/or expectations of the players who made their NHL debut last season?

J.T. Compher - Groomed to be a two way center, good motor with a bit of sandpaper, likes to go to dirty areas. I'd be shocked if he's not in NHL.
A.J. Greer - power forward, unknown if can be top 6 or more middle 6 type, really depends how production in NHL shakes out. High motor, in your face, great hands around the net, physical, good shot, attitude, lots of intangibles. Should play in the NHL this year.
Jeremy Smith - AHL goalie, signed to Carolina org
Spencer Martin - AHL starter, potential for more. Young and a bit raw, we'll see. Prob NHL backup.
Anton Lindholm - depth D, could play bottom pairing this year. Played several years pro, polished and physical for his size, no offensive capability, little upside.

member 116861

I have a slightly different question. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the potential and/or expectations of the players who made their NHL debut last season?

J.T. Compher
A.J. Greer
Jeremy Smith
Spencer Martin
Anton Lindholm

JT Compher and AJ Greer should become good 2nd liners or elite 3rd liners. Jeremy Smith is an AHL goalie and nothing more. Spencer Martin could become a decent backup in the NHL. Anton Lindholm is a #7/8 defenseman who could become a decent bottom pairing defenseman.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States

J.T. Compher
A.J. Greer
Jeremy Smith
Spencer Martin
Anton Lindholm

J.T. Compher - Potential to be a great 2C: Expectation is to be an ok 2C/great 3C
A.J. Greer - Potential is undefined but a floor of a 3rd liner probably; Greer has a knack for surpassing expectations with his high work ethic: Expectation is for him to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener
Jeremy Smith - Not in our org. anymore but AHL journeyman (he's already older so his shot at making the NHL full time has probably already passed)
Spencer Martin - Potential to be a good/great NHL starter; Expectation is to take it slow with Martin and see where it goes. He has been inconsistent so far but is still very young for a goalie. Probably a couple years away from being a backup at the NHL level.
Anton Lindholm - Potential is a great bottom pairing defenseman who could spot fill in a 2nd pairing but not forever; Expectation is that he can play the bottom pairing now and not look out of place but should elevate his game enough to be relied upon to anchor that pairing if all goes well. He could be a steady #5-#7 guy.

I'll add Tyson Jost - Potential to be an elite 2c/top 6 winger; Expectation to be at least a top 6 2-way winger. Zach Parise is the comparable thrown out most for Jost and that would probably be what he ideally ends up being.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

J.T. Compher
A.J. Greer
Jeremy Smith
Spencer Martin
Anton Lindholm

Compher - Really came on strong the last 5-10 games of last year after he pretty clearly had an adjustment period to the NHL. Now that he's had his taste, I expect him to go out flying next year. Will start off on the 3rd line hopefully Centering it but I could see him in the Top 6 by December. His potential is probably that of a high end 2nd liner, but IMO it's difficult to peg a specific ceiling on him as he's one of those guys with a never ending motor and some skills to go along with it, hard to predict the ceiling on a guy like that(See O'reilly).

Greer - Again similar to Compher, except not as much of a taste in the NHL. Probably a little slower out of the gate and takes more time to adjust to the NHL next year. I'm also not convinced he has the offensive upside that Compher has. I think he starts in the bottom 6 and will be a mainstay on the 3rd line by seasons end. In terms of upside, 2nd line Winger seems fair but my expectation is he ends up more of a high end 3rd line grinder.

Smith - Career AHLer really. Had his cup of coffee in the NHL with injuries but it was clear IMO that there's no NHL talent to discover.

Spencer Martin - Again, had his cup of coffee in the NHL but it was once again clear he wasn't close to ready for the show. Now he's different in Smith because he is still young and does have solid upside still, but he's got a lot to work on still and his time in the NHL had a clear negative effect on him as when he returned to the AHL he was clearly not at the level he was before. Hopefully a bounceback season comes his way but I think there's cause for concern with the way his season ended last year.

Lindholm - I thought he was great in the NHL last year. He never did anything flashy and it was clear he's not the most skilled guy on the ice. But he did all the simple things well and didn't make many mistakes. Was a bit of a calming presence on the back end. He also skated a lot better than one would expect and has a decent 1st pass. I think I'm probably higher on him than most, but IMO he has an outside shot at becoming a Middle pairing shutdown guy but his more likely result is that of a good #5/6/7 guy who can eat up 12-15 minutes a game and kill some penalties while doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad