Kansas
Updated Prospect Stats HERE

ROU_WINCUP.jpeg

2016 PROSPECT RANKING
[table="head;width=800]RANK|PREV|CHNG|NAME|POS|TEAM|DRAFT|VOTES

1|1|-| Mikko Rantanen|RW|San Antonio (AHL)|#10 overall 2015|108 votes, 95.37%|

2|2|-| Chris Bigras|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#32 overall 2013|116 votes, 48.28%|

3|n/a|n/a| Tyson Jost|C|Penticton (BCHL)|#10 overall 2016|90 votes, 96.67%|

4|6|+2| JT Compher|C|University of Michigan (Big10)|#35 overall 2013 (T)|91 votes, 64.84%|

5|5|-| Nicolas Meloche|D|Gatineau (QMJHL)|#40 overall 2015|92 votes, 71.74%|

6|10|+4| AJ Greer|LW|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#39 overall 2015|97 votes, 82.47%|

7|15|+8| JC Beaudin|C|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#71 overall 2015|93 votes, 31.18%|

8|n/a|n/a| Cam Morrison|C|Youngstown (USHL)|#40 overall 2016|84 votes, 47.62%|

9|13|+4| Spencer Martin|G|San Antonio (AHL)|#63 overall 2013|79 votes, 81.01%|

10|17|+7| Julien Nantel|C/LW|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#204 overall 2014|76 votes, 36.84%|

11|11|-| Andrei Mironov|D|Dynamo Moskva (KHL)|#101 overall 2015|61 votes, 47.54%|

12|21|+9| Sergei Boikov|D|Drummondville (QMJHL) |#161 overall 2015|65 votes, 33.85%|

13|7|-6| Mason Geertsen|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#93 overall 2013|58 votes, 39.66%|

14|n/a|n/a| Rocco Grimaldi|C/RW|Portland (AHL)|#33 overall 2011 (T)|56 votes, 33.93%|

15|8|-7| Duncan Siemens|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#11 overall 2011|66 votes, 30.30%|

16|n/a|n/a| Josh Anderson|D|Prince George (WHL)|#71 overall 2016|46 votes, 30.43%|

17|16|-1| Will Butcher|D|University of Denver (NCHC)|#123 overall 2013|52 votes, 36.54%|

18|27|+9| Anton Lindholm|D|Skellefteå (SHL)|#144 overall 2014|59 votes, 42.37%|

19|n/a|n/a| Nate Clurman|D|Culver Academy (USHS)|#161 overall 2016|37 votes, 62.16%|

20|n/a|n/a| Travis Barron|LW|Ottawa (OHL)|#191 overall 2016|48 votes, 33.33%|

[/table]

2016 HONORABLE MENTION
[table="head;width=800]RANK|PREV|CHNG|NAME|POS|TEAM|DRAFT|VOTES

HM1|n/a|n/a| Adam Werner|G|Färjestad BK J20 (SHL)|#131 overall 2016|37 votes, 37.84%|

HM2|24|+2| Sam Henley|C|San Antonio (AHL)|Undrafted FA|32 votes, 40.63%|

HM3|n/a|n/a| Reid Petryk|RW|San Antonio (AHL)|Undrafted FA|33 votes, 39.39%|

HM4|19|-5| Troy Bourke|LW|San Antonio (AHL)|#72 overall 2012|28 votes, 46.43%|

HM5|n/a|n/a| Turner Elson|LW|Stockton (AHL)|Undrafted FA|29 votes, 58.62%|

[/table]

(And taken from the last thread)

If anyone cares for the whole quote (for context), here it is:

A little roster gossip
I got back from vacation last night around midnight but it doesn’t really felt like I took much time off given how many Avalanche people I talked to while away. Just some water cooler talk here (aka the rumor mill so don’t take any of this to the bank) but:

-Avs are expecting to sign Butcher when DU’s season ends. Word is Butcher is prepared to sign the ELC the Avs will offer him
-Mironov expected to be officially signed in the next couple of weeks
-Only overage/NCAA UFA I know Avs are connected to right now is the Pionk kid but they won’t get him so it doesn’t matter
-I’ve already chatted with earl about this but KSE is not too happy with Avs FO right now. Might mean changes, might not, just that they’re pissed and embarrassed.
-I had on other thing but my mind is blank so I’ll probably come back and add to this later on

And then later, on the subject of Jost:

Oh, that was it. Yeah. The Avs are looking to sign him when NoDak is done.

And if Jost would play in the NHL:

Yeah that would be the plan. Not this year though. Next.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hey EB, where did you pull the AJ quotes from? I don't see anything on his, or BSN's, twitter...

I guess they were on MHH...I don't post over there, so usually when I see a quote attributed to him, I ask him to link me. So, I asked him about it and he sent me a link and I pulled them from there. Given the nature of him saying it was "water cooler talk and to not take it to the bank quite yet", I felt it necessary to post the whole quote (plus, some people just want to read it all themselves). I asked him why he chose the phrase "water cooler talk" and he said that it was all "from the Avs' perspective".

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Question about Mironov:

If the Avs sign him now is he eligible for the expansion draft and require protection?

I am not sure if KHL years are counted as professional seasons fr the ED, but it is a professional league.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Question about Mironov:

If the Avs sign him now is he eligible for the expansion draft and require protection?

I am not sure if KHL years are counted as professional seasons fr the ED, but it is a professional league.

He'd be exempt.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Has Mason Geertsen's development stagnated?

I was quite excited for him when we initially drafted him and signed him to an ELC, but he doesn't seem to have taken steps forward.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Are we talking Pionk the RD from UMD? The dude that plowed into UNDs goalie? If so, who are we competing with and how is his game? Unfamiliar with him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He'd be exempt.

Is it because of his age?

I was quite excited for him when we initially drafted him and signed him to an ELC, but he doesn't seem to have taken steps forward.

Sort of. He didn't progress much under Dean and then that stupid fight in the rookie tournament where he broke his hand set him back. He wasn't getting played much so then he decided his ticket was going to be some sort of enforcer and that's not going to work either. The last 2-3 weeks he's been playing more regularly and looking like a defenseman but he's going to have to make some huge steps next year. The guy that's stepped up big time is Boikov, I'm not quite sure folks realize he has a legit shot at the NHL. He's been playing top 4 for several months now.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Sort of. He didn't progress much under Dean and then that stupid fight in the rookie tournament where he broke his hand set him back. He wasn't getting played much so then he decided his ticket was going to be some sort of enforcer and that's not going to work either. The last 2-3 weeks he's been playing more regularly and looking like a defenseman but he's going to have to make some huge steps next year. The guy that's stepped up big time is Boikov, I'm not quite sure folks realize he has a legit shot at the NHL. He's been playing top 4 for several months now.

Boikov has been very good, big fan of his for quite some time, especially after I saw him on the top pair with Provorov for Russia at WJC. He and Lindholm were my dark horse prospects, so it's good to see them doing well. Both are smart, can play both ways, good passers etc.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I'd say it is safe to say it has. He had an identity crisis coming out of junior (I think he still is to an extent). If he can steady himself into a shutdown, mean SOB I think he can turn things around.

Are we talking Pionk the RD from UMD? The dude that plowed into UNDs goalie? If so, who are we competing with and how is his game? Unfamiliar with him.

Those are the rumors (I don't know personally). Pionk is a good skater, plays bigger than his size indicates, absolute cannon of a shot, good first pass, above average (but not outstanding) IQ. The guys at Sioux City absolutely loved the kid.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Euro leagues are exempt under the professional season draft rules until they are under ELC and loaned out. Slide years for Euros in the AHL are also exempt from counting (IE Mikko's season last year doesn't count as a professional season).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I dunno but based on his recent instagram photo he has one ugly golf swing. Spencer MArtin on the other hand is a natural.

Man, social media has changed me as a fan :laugh:

Glad to hear about Boikov. He's been my under the radar prospect love for quite some time. I wish I could have seen more SA games this year but I just haven't been able to. It's the least amount of AHL hockey I've seen in the last 5 years.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I dunno but based on his recent instagram photo he has one ugly golf swing. Spencer MArtin on the other hand is a natural.

Man, social media has changed me as a fan :laugh:

Glad to hear about Boikov. He's been my under the radar prospect love for quite some time. I wish I could have seen more SA games this year but I just haven't been able to. It's the least amount of AHL hockey I've seen in the last 5 years.

Boikov is the new Gusarov! (hopefully)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I was really hoping Geertsen would take a step forward this year. That he hasn't is a big concern, especially since Boikov and Lindholm are now passing him by.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I was really hoping Geertsen would take a step forward this year. That he hasn't is a big concern, especially since Boikov and Lindholm are now passing him by.

It'd be a bigger concern for me if we didn't have defensemen passing him on the depth chart. But I'm happy with the progression players like Boikov and Lindholm are making - especially Lindholm. I'm not holding out hope that either becomes a full-time effective NHL defensemen but I am cheering for them.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Thanks for the reply Hench. I wonder who we're in competition with to sign him and when he's supposed to sign. Interesting to me because I've never heard his name or seen anything about where he's going.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Geertsen, even in juniors was a prospect who needed a lot of time to development. I don't think that changed at all once he joined much better players than that in juniors, needs another two years minimum to refine his skills. He should not be rushed and missing the two-ish first months of the season due to a broken hand missed some good development time. Especially for a prospect who needs a lot of playing time to take the next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad