WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
9 D left and since Hicketts/Fleury/Sanheim are locks, there's 6 that will probably play and then 2 cuts left. I think it's gotta be McKeown and Lauzon, Lauzon still needs to work on skating and despite McKeown being a RHD, they still have two RDs in Hicketts and Juulsen. I liked Juulsen prior to the tournament, he struggled the first CIS game but I didn't catch the 2nd game. I think he still makes it.

14 F left, one gets cut for sure, maybe two if Virtanen comes. Lowry seems really strong on wanting speed and a tenacious team. I think it's between Stephens/Hawryluk/Perlini/Merkley. Perlini can skate and he's a big body so that's useful for a small team. Stephens is a good energy player, brings speed and a two-way game, he's a '97. Seems like a really HC type of hockey player though, versatile, skating, two-way. I don't think Merkley will be a big offensive player for this team, he's not that quick although he has good feet and he's not big. Hawryluk is a good energy player, skates well, physical, goes to the net.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
For those who have watched the CIS games, who is likely to be the final two cuts on D and final cut at F (or two cuts if Virtanen is loaned)? How has Perlini looked?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If they cut Quennville/Chartier and Virtanen comes back then they will only have 4 left handed shots on forwards and 9 right handed shots...

I dont know if that makes a difference though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Don't undertand why Lauzon is still with the team......

Probably want another offensive guy and they are probably deciding between him and Chabot. Hickey and McKeown are probably battling for that last spot on the right side.

I think Hicketts, Fleury, Dermott, Sanheim and Juulsen are pretty much set.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
What are the odds Chychrun stays ''Canadian'' and represents Canada going forward if he's not at this tourney next year?

OilerPensfan97

Feb 27, 2014
Saint John, NB
I am going to be pissed if Vancouver doesn't loan Virtanen. What is he going to gain by playing in the AHL? Vancouver has no use for him if he is playing in the pros, so it shouldn't be hard for them to lose him temporarily.

Fingers crossed.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Now they just need to cut Lauzon, Hickey, Chartier and one of Stephens/Merkley hopefully.

Disappointed by the Chychrun/Dubois cuts but not surprised.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Probably want another offensive guy and they are probably deciding between him and Chabot. Hickey and McKeown are probably battling for that last spot on the right side.

I think Hicketts, Fleury, Dermott, Sanheim and Juulsen are pretty much set.

Juulsen isn't at this point, the rest are.

euro

Feb 13, 2013
what i meant was final cut for today, not sure if they ever finished the cut oversea

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I never said dominating the WHL = dominating the WJC. Your theory that other players get better but little weak, slow skating Travis Sanheim has stayed at the same level doesn't match up with what he's doing in the league you claim he doesn't dominate.This is the WJC. It's not the NHL. He's arguably the best 96 defenseman not in the NHL.

And you still haven't answered what a dominant player is.
He might be the best 96 defenceman in the NHL but I don't think he's going to be the best defenceman either. He might project to be the best as well but I've watched the WJC for many, many years and I can tell you that it isn't all about talent. You don't need to be the smartest player to dominate. It's about being physically mature, your skill like hands, shot, passing, skating. That's what this tournament is all about. Look at Brayden Schenn, he was strong, quick, good hands and a good shot. All the tools as an individual to dominate but he wasn't the smartest player. Sanheim is a very smart player, he makes good passes, but he isn't going to be the strongest or the quickest.

Darnell Nurse was strong and very fast. He was ready to dominate this tournament because of his strength and tools like size and speed.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
Canada made their final cuts during the pre tournament last year...doing the same thing this year. Hockey Canada loves Stephens he's a good skater and great two way player who can chip in offensively...I think he'll make it.

In it to win it

May 16, 2015
Could Chabot be considered a lock on D? Thought he played well during those exhibition games. Also, after that poor showing in the first game and Montembault's shutout, what is Macdonald's fate with this team?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Juulsen isn't at this point, the rest are.
Based on these two games? No but I think he's sitting pretty.

He might be the best 96 defenceman in the NHL but I don't think he's going to be the best defenceman either. He might project to be the best as well but I've watched the WJC for many, many years and I can tell you that it isn't all about talent. You don't need to be the smartest player to dominate. It's about being physically mature, your skill like hands, shot, passing, skating. That's what this tournament is all about. Look at Brayden Schenn, he was strong, quick, good hands and a good shot. All the tools as an individual to dominate but he wasn't the smartest player. Sanheim is a very smart player, he makes good passes, but he isn't going to be the strongest or the quickest.

Darnell Nurse was strong and very fast. He was ready to dominate this tournament because of his strength and tools like size and speed.
We'll see in three weeks. ;)

Ps: not sure how you consider Schenn quick and Sanheim not. That's a problem.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty sure its never happened for someone in their draft + 1 and draft + 2 years.

Definitely happened to Couture.

Interesting cuts. Good for HC in cutting Dal Colle despite his draft ranking. Also good for them cutting Chychrun even though he can (and should) switch to the American team in the future. I'm surprised that Watson was cut, but that probably gives an indication that Canada wants a dedicated defensive fourth line.

Point/Crouse/Marner/Barzal/Beauvillier/Strome/Konecny/Gauthier aren't getting cut. Stephens is a Hockey Canada guy and I highly doubt he gets cut. Looks like it's between Quenneville, Hawryluk, Merkley, Chartier and Perlini with two getting cut (I am assuming based on all the smoke that Virtanen is loaned). I guess that Perlini makes it as he's a LW with size and speed, which is an element Canada is lacking. He has not impressed though. I think Hawryluk makes it as a typical Canadian fourth line energy player. I'm skeptical that Merkley gets picked since Canada is stronger on the right side. Nearly a toss up between Quenneville and Chartier... maybe Quenneville because he has played more this year.

Assuming that Hicketts/Sanheim/Fleury/Juulsen/Dermott are in. I think McKeown is in, as a RHD and a former Hockey Canada captain. Little chance for Lauzon. Between Hickey and Chabot, I think they go with the safer guy in Hickey. Depends on if they want a big more stability or a bit more explosiveness... most coaches tend to be conservative.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Happy Dal Colle got cut, he didn't deserve a spot on the team and thankfully HC ignored draft position and said no you haven't been good enough.

Dissapointed Chychrun got cut but he wasn't good, expecting Hickey, and Lauzon to be the last 2 cuts.

The final forward cut(or 2) is down between 4 or 5 names imo. Locks are Marner, Strome, Point, Crouse, Barzal, Beauvillier, Gauthier, Konecny, and Perlini imo. Probably Stephens as a 4C assuming they play Beauvillier on the wing.

So Chartier, Hawryluk, Merkley, and Quenneville for 1 cut(or 2 if Virtanen goes)

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Absolute joke to cut Dubois and Bring some of those OHL-WHL guys instead: Quenneville, Hawryluk, Merkley, Chartier

HC has something against the Francophones and it's been clear for a while.

Lauzon should be on this team as he's been better than the others around him for 6th or 7th d.

Not inviting Perron was a joke. He's perfect fit for HC.

Also why bring some WHL-OHL guy and not invite some QC guy like Aube Kudel who has more speed than any1 on thsi squad...

oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad