WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Shirley - Marner - Watson
Point - Barzal - Konecy
Crouse - Strome - Hawryluk
Beaullivier - Chartier - Gauthier
Quennville

Hicketts - Mckeown
Van Sompel - Fleury
Dermott - Chychrun
Juulsen

Blackwood
Sawchenko

Shirley? I hope this is a joke. There is like 100 better players than Shirley. Maybe you are Shirley?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Did you watch SSS games in the Q?
I think Aube Kubel has a pretty good chance at making the team.
Complete player with great skills. Could fit perfectly on our 3-4th line.

Complete player with great skills? His numbers in QMJHL is not impressing by any means.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Naw, we have better top-6 wingers who aren't selfish egomaniacs.

Plus Ho-Sang might arrive late

Shirley? I hope this is a joke. There is like 100 better players than Shirley. Maybe you are Shirley?
If I didn't live in Canada and watch the SuperSeries live, I wouldn't even know who Shirley is myself. But having watched him skate well and produce some chemistry with Brayden Point has me thinking he's putting himself on the map. Plus four assists in two games tells me he's a team player. If that doesn't say anything then I don't know what does. The SuperSeries isn't just a fun tournament between Can/Rus for sh*ts and giggles bud. This tournament gives us a first hand glimpse of some of the players that are going to be on Team Canada. If you live in Sweden and can't watch then you're not going to know who Shirley or Aube- Kupel are, or what they're capable of doing on television with the best players in their league. Living in Sweden and checking the QMJHL/WHL website for a players stats and basing your pick on that isn't good enough. If team Canada went to each league website and picked the players with the most goals or assists then we wouldn't even have this tournament. A player who produces in a tournament like this helps their chances obviously. I dunno, just try and stream the SuperSeries next year or something.

Won't be on the team.
:rolleyes: Yeah right. I remember you saying Crouse wouldn't make it last year when I through him in a lineup. You're input means absolutely nothing.

The Russians were tired as heck that first game against the WHL. So you guys are right. Shirley I doubt will be on this team due to that fact. They didn't skate for the first two periods. Plus Trettiak was crap. So here is what I'd like to see below.

Marner - Barzal - Watson
Crouse - Point - Strome
Beaullivier - Chartier - Konecy
Perlini - Hawryluk - Aube-Kubel
Quennville

Hicketts - Mckeown
Dermott - Sanheim
Chychrun - Fleury
Van Sompel

Blackwood
Macdonald
Hill

Last edited:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

I really really really hope you're just a teenager.

Making claims like that against a kid that you have never met in your life.......:shakehead

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

In terms of pure skill? You'd be hard pressed to find a winger more talented than Ho-Sang, if you watched the summer games you'd see how dominant he was with limited ice time, dangerous every single time with the puck.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
In terms of pure skill? You'd be hard pressed to find a winger more talented than Ho-Sang, if you watched the summer games you'd see how dominant he was with limited ice time, dangerous every single time with the puck.
Last year I wanted him to make it and you said he wasn't a team player and had attitude problems inside the dressing room. Even though he had a goal and two assists in one game on a team full of players he'd never played with before. Yeah, not much of a team player. So get the heck outta here with this dangerous with the puck every single time crap. Where the hell were you last year?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I really really really hope you're just a teenager.

Making claims like that against a kid that you have never met in your life.......:shakehead
Have you seen his interviews (claiming he was the best player in the draft)? The fact no one in Windsor had a positive thing to say about him on the way out? The fact he slipped in two drafts due to personality issues. The stories about his selfish act on the Marlies team when he played with McDavid due to being overshadowed? The kid brings this upon himself. Hockey Canada doesn't ignore you for nothing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He needs the puck to be the guy controlling the play for his line, he won't get that with Marner, Barzal or Point on his line and one or two of these guys will be wingers at the tournament. Konecny is just as talented without the problems. Crouse will get a top 9 role, and its possible Virtanen gets loaned. He's notorious for not being a team player or listening, that will really hurt his chances when you are trying to create a team that gels quick. Canada has an a fair amount of better playmakers (Marner, Barzal, Point, Strome) and those guy will be surrounded by grit and shooters which aren't Ho-Sangs skills, and I'd easily take those 4 guys over him.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Plus Ho-Sang might arrive late

If I didn't live in Canada and watch the SuperSeries live, I wouldn't even know who Shirley is myself. But having watched him skate well and produce some chemistry with Brayden Point has me thinking he's putting himself on the map. Plus four assists in two games tells me he's a team player. If that doesn't say anything then I don't know what does. The SuperSeries isn't just a fun tournament between Can/Rus for sh*ts and giggles bud. This tournament gives us a first hand glimpse of some of the players that are going to be on Team Canada. If you live in Sweden and can't watch then you're not going to know who Shirley or Aube- Kupel are, or what they're capable of doing on television with the best players in their league. Living in Sweden and checking the QMJHL/WHL website for a players stats and basing your pick on that isn't good enough. If team Canada went to each league website and picked the players with the most goals or assists then we wouldn't even have this tournament. A player who produces in a tournament like this helps their chances obviously. I dunno, just try and stream the SuperSeries next year or something.

:rolleyes: Yeah right. I remember you saying Crouse wouldn't make it last year when I through him in a lineup. You're input means absolutely nothing.

The Russians were tired as heck that first game against the WHL. So you guys are right. Shirley I doubt will be on this team due to that fact. They didn't skate for the first two periods. Plus Trettiak was crap. So here is what I'd like to see below.

Marner - Barzal - Watson
Crouse - Point - Strome
Beaullivier - Chartier - Konecy
Perlini - Hawryluk - Aube-Kubel
Quennville

Hicketts - Mckeown
Dermott - Sanheim
Chychrun - Fleury
Van Sompel

Blackwood
Macdonald
Hill

Weird. Your posting history indicates no posts between January 2011 and November 2015. Why don't you link to the post where you put Crouse into the lineup. I assume it was using a different (and perhaps now banned) account.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Weird. Your posting history indicates no posts between January 2011 and November 2015. Why don't you link to the post where you put Crouse into the lineup. I assume it was using a different (and perhaps now banned) account.

Please don't try and change the subject. All I'm saying is don't jump on the Ho-Sang band-wagon now. It's a little late. Ho-Sang is so dangerous, nobody is more dangerous. Yeah right, everybody was knocking this guy last year. He's too much of a self centred player, he has inconsistency issues and team Canada doesn't want a player that is only going to think about himself and hog the puck. But this year oh Ho-Sang is the best winger and so dangerous with the puck :lol2:

Last edited:

Dec 3, 2012
Complete player with great skills? His numbers in QMJHL is not impressing by any means.

Have you ever seen him play?
I've seen him like 10-15 times since he's 16yo and yes, he's an heart and soul player with very good skills.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He needs the puck to be the guy controlling the play for his line, he won't get that with Marner, Barzal or Point on his line and one or two of these guys will be wingers at the tournament. Konecny is just as talented without the problems. Crouse will get a top 9 role, and its possible Virtanen gets loaned. He's notorious for not being a team player or listening, that will really hurt his chances when you are trying to create a team that gels quick. Canada has an a fair amount of better playmakers (Marner, Barzal, Point, Strome) and those guy will be surrounded by grit and shooters which aren't Ho-Sangs skills, and I'd easily take those 4 guys over him.

I get the knocks like attitude and inconsistency, but no one is more skilled than Josh Ho-Sang. When he's on he's by far the most dangerous offensive player (and playmaker) Canada has. The question is just what you're going to get with him.

I also like Aube-Kubel, think he deserves a spot in the bottom 6. Well-rounded and has great speed.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Lol @ the people jumping on the Ho-Sang band-wagon now. It's a little late. "Ho-Sang is so dangerous, nobody is more dangerous". Yeah right, everybody was knocking this guy last year. He's too much of a self centred player, he has inconsistency issues and team Canada doesn't want a player that is only going to think about himself and hog the puck. Last year he was a selfish player that didn't want to pass and might try and do it all himself. And now he's the best play maker Canada has?

:lol:

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Please don't try and change the subject. All I'm saying is don't jump on the Ho-Sang band-wagon now. It's a little late. Ho-Sang is so dangerous, nobody is more dangerous. Yeah right, everybody was knocking this guy last year. He's too much of a self centred player, he has inconsistency issues and team Canada doesn't want a player that is only going to think about himself and hog the puck. But this year oh Ho-Sang is the best winger and so dangerous with the puck :lol2:

I have no clue what you're talking about. I've never said I thought Ho-Sang would be on the team. I've said the exact opposite.

And I'm still waiting for you to provide a link to your post from last year where you said Crouse would be on the team.

Sep 18, 2009
There is enough skill to go around. Hockey Canada wants a winning TEAM. Ho Sang can watch from home.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I get the knocks like attitude and inconsistency, but no one is more skilled than Josh Ho-Sang. When he's on he's by far the most dangerous offensive player (and playmaker) Canada has. The question is just what you're going to get with him.

I also like Aube-Kubel, think he deserves a spot in the bottom 6. Well-rounded and has great speed.

Ho-Sang's fans are really, really all in on him. When he's on he's far more dangerous than Marner/Strome/Barzal/Point? I'm a little skeptical.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not even last year?

Had a concussion earlier in the year. Was a bit sluggish when he returned. Went 6 games without a point after he returned. He's back on track now. Probably on the outside looking in for a roster spot, but should be in the mix. Can play all 3 forward positions, PK, PP. Not elite in one particular area but can do a little of everything. Had good showings at the summer camp and SSS.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
There is enough skill to go around. Hockey Canada wants a winning TEAM. Ho Sang can watch from home.

I basically agree with this, although I think it's important people recognize he is much more skilled and dynamic than Marner, Strome, Barzal, even Point. Just goes to show how little skill really matters in success and winning. You have to apply yourself and have the discipline to play consistently within a team structure.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ho Sang can stay home. Don't need someone with attitude issues especially when we're going overseas. We need classy players that will represent Canadians proudly while they are over there.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I basically agree with this, although I think it's important people recognize he is much more skilled and dynamic than Marner, Strome, Barzal, even Point. Just goes to show how little skill really matters in success and winning. You have to apply yourself and have the discipline to play consistently within a team structure.
He isn't more skilled and dynamic than Marner, Strome, Barzal or Point, are you crazy? He doesn't use his teammates well enough, he'll take the puck by himself and try to play with only himself. You need to use the players around you to create space and break down defences, maybe not in junior but this tournament the coaches are the best in the country and have structure.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
He doesn't use his teammates well enough, he'll take the puck by himself and try to play with only himself. You need to use the players around you to create space and break down defences
He got a goal and two assists last year in one game against a very skilled Russian team. Two assists on a team he's never played with. How much more can he use his teammates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->