WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
This is how I see it

Crouse - Strome - Marner
Beaullivier - Point - Konecy
Perlini - Barzal - Gauthier
Hawryluk - Stephens - Virtanen
Merkley

Hicketts - Dermott
Sanheim - Fleury
Chabot - Juulsen
Lauzon

Blackwood
Montembault
McDonald

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
This is how I see it

Crouse - Strome - Marner
Merkley

Hicketts - Dermott
Sanheim - Fleury
Chabot - Juulsen
Lauzon

Blackwood
Montembault
McDonald
I highly doubt Virtanen ends up on the 4th line unless he plays absolutely awful.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I highly doubt Virtanen ends up on the 4th line unless he plays absolutely awful.

hey now, at least he put Virtanen higher than Shirley, that's some pretty high praise :sarcasm:

Yeah Virtanen is pretty much certain to start in the top 6.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Virtanen must be so thrilled. Going to his Motherland. I'm surprised he didn't revolt not being loaned to the Finnish Team. :laugh:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Beauvillier - Point - Virtanen
Perlini - Barzal - Konecny
Merkley - Chartier - Gauthier

4 scoring lines.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
You're right about Couture...I had MDC's high draft selection on my mind and he is certainly the highest draft pick to have been cut twice after his draft. There have been others selected lower who have been passed over. He definitely doesn't deserve to be there though. Assuming Virtanen is loaned this is shaping up to be a solid edition of Team Canada

I've been doing a bit of research lately for a post coming next week. The highest draftee to not make a team Canada despite remaining in junior for two additional years is the immortal Neil Brady, third overall in the 1986 draft.

Nice to see Virtanen added. Canada was lacking some size up front, and Virtanen brings that element. I agree with those who have suggested that he play with Point.

It will be interesting to see who rounds out Canada's top nine. I expect something like this:

______ Point Virtanen
Crouse Strome Marner
Beauvillier Barzal Konecny

Perlini seems to fit the archetype best, but he hasn't been all that good this year. I had wanted to see Marner with Point (and Konecny with Strome) but Virtanen changes things. Lots of options up front. Good scoring depth this year.

Only if Don Hay comes back and gives him the Brett Connolly treatment.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Chartier - Stephens - Gauthier
Hawrlyuk

Hicketts - Sanheim
Fleury - Dermott
Chabot - Juulsen
Hickey

Blackwood
Montembeault

Dec 3, 2012
Crouse Strome Marner
Perlini Point Virtanen
Quenneville Stephens Gauthier
Hawryluk
Fleury Hicketts
Sanheim Juulsen
Dermott McKeown
Chabot
Blackwood
MacDonald

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
This is how I see it

Crouse - Strome - Marner
Merkley

Hicketts - Dermott
Sanheim - Fleury
Chabot - Juulsen
Lauzon

Blackwood
Montembault
McDonald

Dude, this is like your 20th version. Eventually you'll get it !

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
No clue why Merkle and Hwyluk or whatever are there but not Aube-Kudel and Dubois.

Also Chabot is Canada fastest D. He's perfect fit for International ICE.

Should easily be in top 6 and on 1st PP unit.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
No clue why Merkle and Hwyluk or whatever are there but not Aube-Kudel and Dubois.

LOL 1st PP unit!!!!

Hickett and Sanheim>>>>>>>>>>> Chabot

You must be a Sens fan....

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I've been doing a bit of research lately for a post coming next week. The highest draftee to not make a team Canada despite remaining in junior for two additional years is the immortal Neil Brady, third overall in the 1986 draft.

Nice to see Virtanen added. Canada was lacking some size up front, and Virtanen brings that element. I agree with those who have suggested that he play with Point.

It will be interesting to see who rounds out Canada's top nine. I expect something like this:

______ Point Virtanen
Crouse Strome Marner

Perlini seems to fit the archetype best, but he hasn't been all that good this year. I had wanted to see Marner with Point (and Konecny with Strome) but Virtanen changes things. Lots of options up front. Good scoring depth this year.

LOL, so what you're saying is that Dal Colle is in good company. Hopefully for his sake this isn't an omen for how his NHL career will pan out. Obviously this tournament wasn't as widely followed back then but it would be interesting to hear about how these teams were constructed back in that era. From when I started watching in 1991 or so, the teams seemed to be a bit more haphazardly put together based on name recognition but IIRC this changed during the "Drive for Five" from '93 to '97 and the selection process became a bit more professional. The debacle in 1992 may have changed things.

Personally, I would slot Beauvillier in at LW with Point and Virtanen, then line up Perlini with Barzal and Konecny. That way, there is a good distribution of size on each of the top three lines, with two of the big bodies also being elite skaters. That leaves: Quenneville (C/LW), Chartier (C/LW), Merkley (RW), Stephens (C/RW), Gauthier (RW), and Hawryluk (RW) fighting for the final 4 spots.

By process of elimination one of Quenneville or Chartier makes it as a LHed shot; I give Chartier the edge as the older, more experienced player, slightly better skater, versatile across all three forward positions, with Memorial Cup experience. He missed the vast majority of the season so far but seems to be on his game since returning. He was a final cut last year. I also like Stephens as a versatile C/RW who can anchor the presumed defensive/checking line with offensive capability. He's also a strong Hockey Canada guy so I would be a bit surprised if he's cut. Hawryluk, like Chartier, is also an experienced guy who's been around the block, can provide some energy and grit on the bottom line, and who's been in the Hockey Canada system for some time. Chartier and Hawryluk balance off some of the youthfulness of the guys in the top-9. Finally, I'll take Gauthier as a good-skating offensive weapon with great size, and who can fill in on one of the top-3 lines if any of the wingers aren't performing (or if Virtanen does something stupid and gets the book thrown at him by the IIHF).

Crouse - Strome - Marner
Chartier - Stephens - Hawryluk
Gauthier

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015

The Q traditionally is not as good a league as the ohl and whl...that's just a fact. Secondly Canada is taking Beauvillier, McDonald, Montambeault, and probably Gauthier and maybe Chabot. Dubois was borderline and you can't take too many young guys in this tournament...Aube-Kubel is fast sure...but this team is full of fast players and frankly he isn't as skilled as many of the guys on this team. Merkley and Hawryluk, if they even make the team will be there more for energy and two-way play...I doubt more than one of them will make it and they won't be above a 4th liner.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
LOL, so what you're saying is that Dal Colle is in good company. Hopefully for his sake this isn't an omen for how his NHL career will pan out. Obviously this tournament wasn't as widely followed back then but it would be interesting to hear about how these teams were constructed back in that era. From when I started watching in 1991 or so, the teams seemed to be a bit more haphazardly put together based on name recognition but IIRC this changed during the "Drive for Five" from '93 to '97 and the selection process became a bit more professional. The debacle in 1992 may have changed things.

Personally, I would slot Beauvillier in at LW with Point and Virtanen, then line up Perlini with Barzal and Konecny. That way, there is a good distribution of size on each of the top three lines, with two of the big bodies also being elite skaters. That leaves: Quenneville (C/LW), Chartier (C/LW), Merkley (RW), Stephens (C/RW), Gauthier (RW), and Hawryluk (RW) fighting for the final 4 spots.

By process of elimination one of Quenneville or Chartier makes it as a LHed shot; I give Chartier the edge as the older, more experienced player, slightly better skater, versatile across all three forward positions, with Memorial Cup experience. He missed the vast majority of the season so far but seems to be on his game since returning. He was a final cut last year. I also like Stephens as a versatile C/RW who can anchor the presumed defensive/checking line with offensive capability. He's also a strong Hockey Canada guy so I would be a bit surprised if he's cut. Hawryluk, like Chartier, is also an experienced guy who's been around the block, can provide some energy and grit on the bottom line, and who's been in the Hockey Canada system for some time. Chartier and Hawryluk balance off some of the youthfulness of the guys in the top-9. Finally, I'll take Gauthier as a good-skating offensive weapon with great size, and who can fill in on one of the top-3 lines if any of the wingers aren't performing (or if Virtanen does something stupid and gets the book thrown at him by the IIHF).

Crouse - Strome - Marner
Chartier - Stephens - Hawryluk
Gauthier

I agree with this lineup...strong all the way through

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
Benning says that no decision has been made regarding McCann yet. I hope they send him, but Sutter being injured doesn't really help his chances.

nelsojc

Nov 13, 2015
If Vancouver hasn't released him yet then he won't be there

Not really...they still have time until the deadline to decide and Bob Mckenzie said today that Vancouver had not said no yet..which means they are still contemplainting...he hasn't be scoring much lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad