WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
If McCann is released Barzal will be on the 4th line. Heck he might play on the wing and replace Crouse on the top line. Players that get sent down dont play 4th line. McCann is good enough to be in a top 6 role. Both Duclair and Lazar got gifted top 6 minutes last year and McCann is in the same situation this year.
Actually, I think about it and I wouldnt mind seeing McCann on the 1st line with Point and Virtanen and Beauvillier playing on the 3rd line with Barzal and Gauthier (or Konecny).

So it would be :

McCann-Point-Virtanen
Crouse-Strome-Marner
Beauvillier-Barzal-Gauthier
Chartier-Stephens-Konecny
Merckley (or Quenneville)

Perlini might be in danger if McCann is loaned.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I've gotta say I don't like how playing in the top 6 is now a condition for NHL teams releasing their players to the Junior team.

It probably isn't. Lowry can agree to any kind of demands before the tournament starts. But when the tournament starts, its his team. I doubt Benning would drag Virtanen out of the tournament if Lowry decided to move him down to spread out the offense or to punish him for not performing the way he can.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds interesting, I'll need to check that out and perhaps put it on my list for Santa Claus this year.

From watching Konecny play a lot in Ottawa, I can tell you a few things:

1) he's listed as C/RW, but I have never actually seen him play C for the 67's. I have no doubt he can play C, but he seems more comfortable at RW and its not like Ottawa has any depth whatsoever at C which is pushing him over to the wing.

2) while his goal and assist totals this year don't bear it out, he's probably just as good, if not better, of a goal scorer as a playmaker. He has a quick release and accurate shot, and great hands in tight. I wouldn't be concerned about Barzal and Konecny lacking chemistry, I think they would compliment each other fairly well.

I guess alternatively, as you suggested, you could move Konecny down with Stephens and Gauthier up with Barzal. Konecny does have the tenacity and puck pursuit skills to excel in a defensive-oriented role, but it's probably not the best use of his skillset. Not a bad option to have though. Overall I'm liking Hockey Canada's orientation towards a more skilled forward group over the past couple of years.

That sounds more promising. It will be interesting to see how the line combinations shake out. Looks similar to last year's approach of three offensive lines and a more defensive/gritty line.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Either or hes not getting stuffed on the 4th line, he has the best release on this team.

Is it that big of a deal considering Team Canada rolls 4 lines? They've gotten away from the traditional 4th line grinders mentality and have embraced the depth scoring throughout the lineup philosophy. Besides, it'll probably all be based on chemistry anyway.

Dec 3, 2012
If it's the same book I'm thinking of, you aren't missing much. LOTS of pictures and a (minor) story (or 2) from each WJR's. You can probably get it at your local library and save some $$$$.

I have the book too and it is amazing the read. Great pictures and stories from each WJC. From the Punch in Piestiany to the Mark Visentin chaos. Each year had something pretty special.

Here is the book:
http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/2011/08/thirty-years-of-game-at-its-best.html

Dec 3, 2012
Hopefully canada doesn't have dead-weight like Gauthier was last season.
If Gauthier wasn't there in the GMG against Russia last year, Team Canada might not have won. Sometimes there are big moments where you absolutely need shut down abilities like Gauthier have. He was very useful.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully canada doesn't have dead-weight like Gauthier was last season.

Dead weight is fine as long as it doesn't cost us the gold medal. What I'm really worried about is the Ryan Murphy type of player. The one guy who thinks he can do it all and ends up hogging the puck until he loses it and it ends up in the back of the net. Thats the type of thing that would keep me awake.

Dec 3, 2012
People who are saying that Gauthier wasn't effective last year make me feel like wheter they didn't watch the GMG or they simply don't know anything about the game of hockey.
That's no respect for a guy who made sacrifices (blocked shots, won big face offs, played 1 shift out of 2) in order to bring back Gold to Canada.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Actually, I think about it and I wouldnt mind seeing McCann on the 1st line with Point and Virtanen and Beauvillier playing on the 3rd line with Barzal and Gauthier (or Konecny).

So it would be :

McCann-Point-Virtanen
Crouse-Strome-Marner
Beauvillier-Barzal-Gauthier
Chartier-Stephens-Konecny
Merckley (or Quenneville)

Perlini might be in danger if McCann is loaned.

I'd move Crouse down and Beauvillier up

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Virtanen gives us 3 legitimate scoring lines and some more offence to the 4th line. Now on the left side: Crouse, Beauvillier, Perlini and on the right side: Marner, Virtanen, Konecny, Gauthier. Down the centre there is Strome, Point, Barzal, Chartier/Stephens.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
People who are saying that Gauthier wasn't effective last year make me feel like wheter they didn't watch the GMG or they simply don't know anything about the game of hockey.
That's no respect for a guy who made sacrifices (blocked shots, won big face offs, played 1 shift out of 2) in order to bring back Gold to Canada.

Gauthier scored on his own net in the gold medal game when he was in the crease for absolutely no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad