WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I think the top 6 should be:

Virtanen-Point-Konecny
Crouse-Strome-Marner

Konecny and Virtanen both showed good chemistry with Point in the summer. If anyone can make Virtanen look like the star player he should be, it's Point, and having Jake on left wing should allow him to get more shots off. I'd be shocked if Brayden isn't named captain, he's the best all-round player and has the calm intensity winners are made of.

Strome and Marner have played together lots and Crouse gives them some puck retrieval and finish, so that should be a good line too.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I've gotta say I don't like how playing in the top 6 is now a condition for NHL teams releasing their players to the Junior team.

No kidding. Virtanen might not bring enough offensively to be in the top 6... But at least he will be a strong skater, hit guys and agitate.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
LOL, so what you're saying is that Dal Colle is in good company. Hopefully for his sake this isn't an omen for how his NHL career will pan out. Obviously this tournament wasn't as widely followed back then but it would be interesting to hear about how these teams were constructed back in that era. From when I started watching in 1991 or so, the teams seemed to be a bit more haphazardly put together based on name recognition but IIRC this changed during the "Drive for Five" from '93 to '97 and the selection process became a bit more professional. The debacle in 1992 may have changed things.

Hockey Canada released a book a year or two ago detailing each tournament since 1982. A few pages about each tournament with some info about the games, also behind the scenes information from players/coaches/journalists. Some years featured writings that were more informative than others. Things seemed to really change after Piestany, and then took off to another level in the mid 90s with Canada dominating the tournament. In the earliest years some players who were in junior would flat out refuse to go in some instances (not just the oft mentioned Lemieux refusal in 1984).

Personally, I would slot Beauvillier in at LW with Point and Virtanen, then line up Perlini with Barzal and Konecny. That way, there is a good distribution of size on each of the top three lines, with two of the big bodies also being elite skaters. That leaves: Quenneville (C/LW), Chartier (C/LW), Merkley (RW), Stephens (C/RW), Gauthier (RW), and Hawryluk (RW) fighting for the final 4 spots.

By process of elimination one of Quenneville or Chartier makes it as a LHed shot; I give Chartier the edge as the older, more experienced player, slightly better skater, versatile across all three forward positions, with Memorial Cup experience. He missed the vast majority of the season so far but seems to be on his game since returning. He was a final cut last year. I also like Stephens as a versatile C/RW who can anchor the presumed defensive/checking line with offensive capability. He's also a strong Hockey Canada guy so I would be a bit surprised if he's cut. Hawryluk, like Chartier, is also an experienced guy who's been around the block, can provide some energy and grit on the bottom line, and who's been in the Hockey Canada system for some time. Chartier and Hawryluk balance off some of the youthfulness of the guys in the top-9. Finally, I'll take Gauthier as a good-skating offensive weapon with great size, and who can fill in on one of the top-3 lines if any of the wingers aren't performing (or if Virtanen does something stupid and gets the book thrown at him by the IIHF).

Beauvillier - Point - Virtanen
Crouse - Strome - Marner
Perlini - Barzal - Konecny
Chartier - Stephens - Hawryluk
Gauthier

It's kind of a good problem to have, but I'm not huge on Barzal and Konecny playing together because they are both elite playmakers. Seems redundant, and Perlini isn't a good enough goal scorer to really make use of them. I liked what Barzal and Gauthier did together in the first CIS game and they are a logical fit as well (Gauthier even resembling a more skilled version of Barzal's Seattle linemate Kolesar). The lines will end up closely resembling what you have, but I wouldn't mind them trying four skilled but balances lines with Point/Barzal/Strome/Konecny down the middle.

No decision on McCann yet according to the Canucks.

It's good that Virtanen was loaned, but I don't like NHL teams dictating tactics to the WJC team (similar to Ottawa last year).

Seems like Vancouver is at least considering McCann, which surprises me.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
It makes sense though , who wants to send a player down the wjc so they can be the 13th forward LOL. Its a buisness, its about the best choice for your player, Canucks dont care about team Canada.

That being said McCann being sent down would mean Barzal would be bumped down to the 4th line. Which is kind of awkward.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It makes sense though , who wants to send a player down the wjc so they can be the 13th forward LOL. Its a buisness, its about the best choice for your player, Canucks dont care about team Canada.

That being said McCann being sent down would mean Barzal would be bumped down to the 4th line. Which is kind of awkward.

McCann could play wing too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I understand the goal of the NHL teams, but realistically if you are a GM who has a player in the NHL and he isn't good enough to be a top player on the junior team, you are an idiot. Other than Kyle Clifford in 2011 and maybe Tom Wilson in 2014, pretty much any NHLer was good enough to play big minutes for the WJC team. Perhaps the shabby treatment Connolly received in 2012 scared some teams.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Getting Virtanen is huge and loaning McCann would be absolutely amazing. :)

Super happy with the roster already.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Hockey Canada released a book a year or two ago detailing each tournament since 1982. A few pages about each tournament with some info about the games, also behind the scenes information from players/coaches/journalists. Some years featured writings that were more informative than others. Things seemed to really change after Piestany, and then took off to another level in the mid 90s with Canada dominating the tournament. In the earliest years some players who were in junior would flat out refuse to go in some instances (not just the oft mentioned Lemieux refusal in 1984).

Sounds interesting, I'll need to check that out and perhaps put it on my list for Santa Claus this year.

It's kind of a good problem to have, but I'm not huge on Barzal and Konecny playing together because they are both elite playmakers. Seems redundant, and Perlini isn't a good enough goal scorer to really make use of them. I liked what Barzal and Gauthier did together in the first CIS game and they are a logical fit as well (Gauthier even resembling a more skilled version of Barzal's Seattle linemate Kolesar). The lines will end up closely resembling what you have, but I wouldn't mind them trying four skilled but balances lines with Point/Barzal/Strome/Konecny down the middle.

From watching Konecny play a lot in Ottawa, I can tell you a few things:

1) he's listed as C/RW, but I have never actually seen him play C for the 67's. I have no doubt he can play C, but he seems more comfortable at RW and its not like Ottawa has any depth whatsoever at C which is pushing him over to the wing.

2) while his goal and assist totals this year don't bear it out, he's probably just as good, if not better, of a goal scorer as a playmaker. He has a quick release and accurate shot, and great hands in tight. I wouldn't be concerned about Barzal and Konecny lacking chemistry, I think they would compliment each other fairly well.

I guess alternatively, as you suggested, you could move Konecny down with Stephens and Gauthier up with Barzal. Konecny does have the tenacity and puck pursuit skills to excel in a defensive-oriented role, but it's probably not the best use of his skillset. Not a bad option to have though. Overall I'm liking Hockey Canada's orientation towards a more skilled forward group over the past couple of years.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He played in the top six for about a quarter of the tournament last year...

Obviously I know that. I watched all of the games from last year's tourney (except the Germany game) again last month, and just as I did when watching the first go around, I thought that he was not very effective offensively when he was on a scoring line and that he was better in a bottom 6 role.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
My prediction:

A. Beauvillier - B. Point - J. Virtanen
L. Crouse - D. Strome - M. Marner
B. Perlini - M. Barzal - J. Gauthier
R. Chartier - M. Stephens - T. Konecny
J. Quenneville or N. Merckley

If McCann is release by the Canucks, he take Stephens spot on the 4th line.

H. Fleury - J. Hicketts
T. Sanheim - T. Dermott
T. Chabot - R. McKeown
B. Hickey

The Goalies

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Sounds interesting, I'll need to check that out and perhaps put it on my list for Santa Claus this year.
If it's the same book I'm thinking of, you aren't missing much. LOTS of pictures and a (minor) story (or 2) from each WJR's. You can probably get it at your local library and save some $$$$.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
My prediction:

A. Beauvillier - B. Point - J. Virtanen
L. Crouse - D. Strome - M. Marner
B. Perlini - M. Barzal - J. Gauthier
R. Chartier - M. Stephens - T. Konecny
J. Quenneville or N. Merckley

If McCann is release by the Canucks, he take Stephens spot on the 4th line.

H. Fleury - J. Hicketts
T. Sanheim - T. Dermott
T. Chabot - R. McKeown
B. Hickey

The Goalies

If McCann is released Barzal will be on the 4th line. Heck he might play on the wing and replace Crouse on the top line. Players that get sent down dont play 4th line. McCann is good enough to be in a top 6 role. Both Duclair and Lazar got gifted top 6 minutes last year and McCann is in the same situation this year.

Dec 3, 2012
If McCann is released Barzal will be on the 4th line. Heck he might play on the wing and replace Crouse on the top line. Players that get sent down dont play 4th line. McCann is good enough to be in a top 6 role. Both Duclair and Lazar got gifted top 6 minutes last year and McCann is in the same situation this year.

I prefer Barzal to McCann IMO as 3rd line center. Or they will put McCann on the left side. He's already done it before.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
If it's the same book I'm thinking of, you aren't missing much. LOTS of pictures and a (minor) story (or 2) from each WJR's. You can probably get it at your local library and save some $$$$.

What would be a million times better is if they released historical games (even if only the key games each yeae) on DVD or in digital format.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I prefer Barzal to McCann IMO as 3rd line center. Or they will put McCann on the left side. He's already done it before.

Either or hes not getting stuffed on the 4th line, he has the best release on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad