U17: 2015 World U-17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 1-7)

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finland Sweden 5-2 Tolvanen with hat trick... he had 2-3 open nets in that powerplay and finally gets the hatter.. leads tournament with 6 goals

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Wow. Sweden looked good in their pre-tournament game but since then they've been terrible.

They haven't looked terrible really. Didn't watch the Canada game but the games against Finland (so far) and Russia have been pretty even except for the scoreboard. Some of the top forwards have been pretty underwhelming however.

Edit: And boy are they getting the assists wrong.

Last edited:

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
6-2 Tolvanen with his 4th of the game and 7th in tournament... nice giveand go with Vesalainen

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
They haven't looked terrible really. Didn't watch the Canada game but the games against Finland (so far) and Russia have been pretty even except for the scoreboard. Some of the top forwards have been pretty underwhelming however.

Edit: And boy are they getting the assists wrong.

We'll second periond was pretty even but first and third so far have been Finland for sure. Sweden doesen't look good excluding Liljegren who is really, really good.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Solid win for Finland. Playing against the US means game over for Sweden as usual.

Interesting coaching when putting Aterius on the top line & top PP, the guy hasn't been a scorer at any level and has never even put up a point in J18 Elit. The league leader in points wasn't even invited.

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Well I certainly didn't think Canada white was going to lose 2 out of 3 games in regulation - but they've certainly got a lot of offensive talent!

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Here is the quarterfinal schedule

CS8egH4WoAAk4hm.png:large

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
CAN White and Finland should be a good game. Canada White has been good with the cycle but needs to convert on their chances and get more shots on goal.

This really seems to be about who can upset the USA, they have looked stupid good all tournament.

I have not seen much of the Red Canadian team, will they stand much of a chance against the US?

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
CAN White and Finland should be a good game. Canada White has been good with the cycle but needs to convert on their chances and get more shots on goal.

This really seems to be about who can upset the USA, they have looked stupid good all tournament.

I have not seen much of the Red Canadian team, will they stand much of a chance against the US?

In 1980 a bunch of college kids beat the Soviets.

Yes, a bunch of 16 year old kids in a red jersey can beat a bunch of 16 year olds in a red white and blue jersey.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
In 1980 a bunch of college kids beat the Soviets.

Yes, a bunch of 16 year old kids in a red jersey can beat a bunch of 16 year olds in a red white and blue jersey.

What a stupid comment.

I'm curious about the quality of the Can Red team compared to Team USA. Does anyone have actual insight or only lame ass remarks?

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Czechs with one sneaky win get to a 2nd spot :laugh: :yo:
In all seriousness though, I think we should've beaten Canada black, so it's not totally undeserved.

How has Russia looked so far?
Really hope we can pull it out though. I just don't like it's played so late considering it's european teams quaterfinal. Would have watched it otherwise.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
In all seriousness though, I think we should've beaten Canada black, so it's not totally undeserved.

Really hope we can pull it out though. I just don't like it's played so late considering it's european teams quaterfinal. Would have watched it otherwise.

It was pretty cool seeing the Czechs beat Canada. Their fans were happy! I find their goal song hilarious (in a good way)

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
His own team has the #1 pick from the WHL in Mattheos and the #1 pick from the OHL in Levin (another 2018 due to late bday), it is also captained by Shane Bowers who is usually considered among the top 99s in the country.

Veleno looks a lot shiftier and deceptive offensively than those 3, or anyone else on his team for that matter. It is only 2 games however the rest of the tournament will be exciting.

watched the game against the US and Mattheos was terrible. Was not impressed at all, was actually wondering how he went first overall. Levin wasn't much better either though. Actually, nobody on Team Black looked good that game, but Veleno probably stood out the best of the crap.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
What a stupid comment.

I'm curious about the quality of the Can Red team compared to Team USA. Does anyone have actual insight or only lame ass remarks?

Canada Red is a solid team. They lost to the US in the pre tournament 4-3 I believe. They're led by guys like Jack Studnicka (Oshawa), Jordan Bellerive (Lethbridge), Maxime Comtois (Victoriaville), Antoine Morand (Acadie-Bathurst), and Joel Teasdale (Blainville Boisbriand).

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
watched the game against the US and Mattheos was terrible. Was not impressed at all, was actually wondering how he went first overall. Levin wasn't much better either though. Actually, nobody on Team Black looked good that game, but Veleno probably stood out the best of the crap.

Well, Mattheos almost had a goal, St. Cyr just made an absolutely unreal save.

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
Point leaders:

Eeli Tolvanen, FIN (7-1-8)
Scott Reedy, USA (4-3-7)
Joël Teasdale, CAN Red; Klim Kostin, RUS; Brady Tkachuk, USA (2-3-5)
Maxime Comtois, CAN Red; Evan Barratt, USA (1-4-5)
James Hamblin, CAN White; Timothy Liljegren, SWE (3-1-4)
Gabe Vilardi, CAN White; Ivan Chekhovich, RUS; Josh Norris, USA; Grant Mismash, USA (2-2-4)
Joni Ikonen, FIN; Kristian Vesalainen, FIN, Jacob Tortora, USA (1-3-4)
Evan Bouchard, CAN White; Quinn Hughes, USA (0-4-4)

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

Yeah they've looked really good. Especially considering this age group was supposedly "weak" compared to the 98,97,96 years.

Even against the Americans they played well, just got unlucky.

Traditionally Czechs do quite well against the Russians, so I wouldn't be surprised if we won. We shall see. Skarek was ridiculously good last game so I hope he can do the same tomorrow. But the Russians are insanely skilled and I don't know how well our defence can hold up.

Anyways I'm in Canada so I like the 9 pm game! Can't wait for this one! Go Necas and Zadina!

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Canada Red is probably the best Canadian team. Watched most of the games so far and the goaltending is solid, a bunch of good, smart kids who compete hard. They came back in the 3rd to beat the Russians yesterday and some of their players have really impressed like Joel Teasdale. Black has some weak goaltending and I don't expect them to do so all that well. A lot of forward talent and depth on that team though.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah they've looked really good. Especially considering this age group was supposedly "weak" compared to the 98,97,96 years.

Even against the Americans they played well, just got unlucky.

Traditionally Czechs do quite well against the Russians, so I wouldn't be surprised if we won. We shall see. Skarek was ridiculously good last game so I hope he can do the same tomorrow. But the Russians are insanely skilled and I don't know how well our defence can hold up.

Anyways I'm in Canada so I like the 9 pm game! Can't wait for this one! Go Necas and Zadina!

I hope they beat Russia for sure. I didn't think they were in the same class as the USA in their game though sadly. I left after the second period though so maybe they looked a bit better in the third.

The Czechs are certainly the team I am cheering for after Canada though. Seem like a good bunch of kids and I like the way they play.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Best period of the tournament for Sweden, leading 2-1. I expect USA to come out much harder in the next two periods.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Best period of the tournament for Sweden, leading 2-1. I expect USA to come out much harder in the next two periods.

Agreed. Imo, among forwards Isac Lundeström really stands out. Some serious skills. Hockey sense is very good and puck handling really impressive.

On the man advantage, Erik Brännström sure reminds a lot of Erik Karlsson and John Klingberg

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Agreed. Imo, among forwards Isac Lundeström really stands out. Some serious skills. Hockey sense is very good and puck handling really impressive.

On the man advantage, Erik Brännström sure reminds a lot of Erik Karlsson and John Klingberg

Lundeström can be a real beast sometimes. He looks like a completely different player compared to previous games. That assist was incredible. Would be a huge boost to this team if they hang on to this lead and knock out USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad