U17: 2015 World U-17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 1-7)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Just got back from the Sweden-USA game and boy was it a lot of fun. Really nice win by Sweden despite the US putting on tons of pressure in the third. Took care of their chances for sure.

I thought that missed empty net goal on the US goalie misplay was going to come back to haunt them but they got the job done!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Not surprised the US team lost this one. They were sloppy defensively, took too many penalties and couldn't get the power play on track all tournament long. Combine that with the fact the Swedes played a much stronger defensive game than previous US opponents and this is what you get. Congrats to them.

It's too early to say anything definitively but I was not as impressed with a number of the more highly touted US players as I'd hoped to be. I'll refrain from naming names but I think there's a decent chance we don't see any of these players taken in the top part of the 2017 draft's first round.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Can White moves on.

I've been really impressed with Finland this tournament from what I've caught of the team. The names don't seem as high profile as with the '98s, but the age group itself seems very strong.

Also really liked the play so far from Tippett and Vilardi in the tournament.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Sorry, who are the semifinals pairings?

I'm not sure how the bracket works off hand. The ones who moved on to the semis are Can Red (1st in group B), Russia (3rd in group B), Sweden (4th in group B), and Can White (3rd in group A).

edit - my ref to group finish was from the prelim round.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Team Canada Black has been a massive disappointment, especially considering they have three first overall picks on the team.

I honestly couldn't tell if Levin even played in the third period or much of the game at all, he was that invisible. Bowers and Matteos were also poor.

The only player that showed why he was picked high was Veleno.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Here are the SF matchups

CTGvgdlXIAAK1iX.png:large

Team Canada Black has been a massive disappointment, especially considering they have three first overall picks on the team.

I honestly couldn't tell if Levin even played in the third period or much of the game at all, he was that invisible. Bowers and Matteos were also poor.

The only player that showed why he was picked high was Veleno.

I'm not surprised Can White moved on of the Canada teams (although, given how strong that Fin team was, I certainly thought they might be beat). I am surprised that Can Red moved on, not Can Black.

Veleno is a nice take away from the competition. Fairly or unfairly (maybe unfairly) there is a cloud around how his EC came to pass...so I think it is positive for him that not only has he had a strong start to his Q season but he also was in impressive form here. From what I saw of the team, Levin was fine, okay - and he's been good in Sudbury. Given the 'reporting' problem re Sudbury from the '15 priority selection, he will never get the 1OA due that others have, esp. against a guy like Vilardi and maybe Tippett.

I wasn't impressed with Mattheos in the tourney. Having said that, I haven't seen him enough in Brandon to comment on his performance here relative to his play there.

Last edited:

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
1:6 again... :facepalm:
I mean, shots were close, what was the difference? Goalie? Defense? Dissapointed, not even by the fact we lost but because the score looks so bad. In 5 games of the tournament (Including preliminary one against Finland) the overall score is 14:25. That's just really bad.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Jut got back from the Canada - Finland game and it was incredible.
Finland has no reason whatsoever to be down if they are. Such a fast team with good skill, playing a sound system, very impressive showing by them tonight. Canada took it 4-2 but it could easily been the opposite outcome as that was as evenly matched as one could hope for. It was actually one of the best games I've ever attended. The afternoon Red vs Black was no comparison even though it was still decent. Black drastically lacked finish despite taking the 1-0 lead into the 3rd. they do deserve credit for their defensive zone play which is a good thing because they spent most of the game in it. Great job taking away space, filling lanes and board work but very little offense generated.

A few very impressive players today in the 2 games I watched.

I give the following players one of these. :thumbu:
Team Black - Jake leschyshyn and Joseph Vellero
Team Red - Nick Watson, Joel Teasdale and Josh Brook
Finland - Eemeli Rasanen, Eeli Tolvanen and Kristian Vasalainen, best player today on any team
Team White - Evan Bouchard, James Suzuki and James Hamblin.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Svechnikov a bit snakebit in this tournament, but he has eyes in the back of his head. Nice backhand assist on the 6-1 goal.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
You know, going into the tournament Team Red was not really the best team on paper, but they've yet to lose, and a big reason for that is the play of Comtois, Teasdale, and Morand with 7,6, and 5 pts respectfully (yes Studnicka and Bellerive are doing good as well), Comtois especially, is leading the tournament in assists, and seems to factor in on almost every goal, he's also over a ppg in the Q so he seems like on of the top '99 players in Canada so far.

It will also be interesting to see the developing comparison between Veleno and Svechnikov.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
You know, going into the tournament Team Red was not really the best team on paper, but they've yet to lose, and a big reason for that is the play of Comtois, Teasdale, and Morand with 7,6, and 5 pts respectfully (yes Studnicka and Bellerive are doing good as well), Comtois especially, is leading the tournament in assists, and seems to factor in on almost every goal, he's also over a ppg in the Q so he seems like on of the top '99 players in Canada so far.

It will also be interesting to see the developing comparison between Veleno and Svechnikov.

How you see Eeli Tolvanen, comparing for Joe Veleno?.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Eeli Tolvanen has been incredible, in this tournament.
That how he's played, is quite unreal for Finnish prospect who's only 5'10 tall.

Of course Eeli is still young, and it's really early to know how good he'll be in future.
However if Tolvanen gets, more weight and height and speed his skating.
He could be solid TOP15- TOP20 prospect in 2017 NHL draft

5'10 is not much the length, but hopefully he can to compensate somehow that what he lacks for height.

Undersized is not necessarily an obstacle, to playing into NHL
Even Theo Fleury, and Martin St Louis were undersized players.
But still they were able to play, best professional hockey league ( NHL) in the world.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not surprised the US team lost this one. They were sloppy defensively, took too many penalties and couldn't get the power play on track all tournament long. Combine that with the fact the Swedes played a much stronger defensive game than previous US opponents and this is what you get. Congrats to them.

It's too early to say anything definitively but I was not as impressed with a number of the more highly touted US players as I'd hoped to be. I'll refrain from naming names but I think there's a decent chance we don't see any of these players taken in the top part of the 2017 draft's first round.

I have no idea who is supposed to be a top player or not, but I was at almost every USA game and despite the upset, they were an excellent team overall.

I thought the blueliner Gildon really stood out personally. Dhooge was really good as well but he'll need to put on several more inches and about 50 more pounds...haha.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
1:6 again... :facepalm:
I mean, shots were close, what was the difference? Goalie? Defense? Dissapointed, not even by the fact we lost but because the score looks so bad. In 5 games of the tournament (Including preliminary one against Finland) the overall score is 14:25. That's just really bad.

Honestly it's hard to say what's gone wrong because they played so well still! Skarek was good. Defence still looked good.

I think the main issue, specifically with this game and against the Americans, was that they went down early. So they've had to take chances going forward (defence especially) and got caught on the break. Russians were very fast and so was U.S.A.

Possession-wise? Czechs dominated Russia for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods. They just couldn't score. Couldn't get it by the Russian goalie (who had the game of his life) and when they did? They hit the post. Just bad luck all around for them this tournament. That combined with a horrid power play. 0 goals all tourney on the power play.

But I'm still very impressed with this group.. I've never seen a Czech team with more heart then these guys. Even when down 4-1, the whole bench was standing up and banging their sticks on the boards, as the Czechs put on pressure, urging their teammates on. They battled extremely hard. It was quite the site to see. Still very proud and fully expect this age group to be medal contenders in world juniors going forward. No doubt..

Not taking anything away from Russia. They still deserved the win I guess, but boy... That score is just wack.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Honestly it's hard to say what's gone wrong because they played so well still! Skarek was good. Defence still looked good.

I think the main issue, specifically with this game and against the Americans, was that they went down early. So they've had to take chances going forward (defence especially) and got caught on the break. Russians were very fast and so was U.S.A.

Possession-wise? Czechs dominated Russia for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods. They just couldn't score. Couldn't get it by the Russian goalie (who had the game of his life) and when they did? They hit the post. Just bad luck all around for them this tournament. That combined with a horrid power play. 0 goals all tourney on the power play.

But I'm still very impressed with this group.. I've never seen a Czech team with more heart then these guys. Even when down 4-1, the whole bench was standing up and banging their sticks on the boards, as the Czechs put on pressure, urging their teammates on. They battled extremely hard. It was quite the site to see. Still very proud and fully expect this age group to be medal contenders in world juniors going forward. No doubt..

Not taking anything away from Russia. They still deserved the win I guess, but boy... That score is just wack.

If this is true screw the result. Winning it all would be nice, but the main reason I watch these junior tournaments is because I want see if the Czech junior program made a step forward. And according to you, they did. Overplay Russia skill-wise (At times, not the whole match ofc) and actually have a chance to win ? (If they didn't run into hot goalie) Yes, I will take that. Rather get boomed while playing well than get a lucky 2:1 win, but get overplayed the whole match.

Ps: That PP was bad indeed, no goal the whole tournament. Special units decide games nowdays, you just have to use them well.
EDIT: Despite the bad overall standing on the tournament, I will still watch them and cheer for them today in the game against Canada black. Afterall 7th place is better than 8th right :D

Last edited:

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
I have no idea who is supposed to be a top player or not, but I was at almost every USA game and despite the upset, they were an excellent team overall.

I thought the blueliner Gildon really stood out personally. Dhooge was really good as well but he'll need to put on several more inches and about 50 more pounds...haha.

Gildon is supposed to be a top player picked in 2017, but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves for the CHL after this year. Michael Pastujov was injured before the tournament and that hurt, even if we did get Chmelevski out of it.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finland USA 4-3, for Finland in 2nd intermission.
Eeli Tolvanen scored, Finland's 3rd goal in 1st period.

So he's 2 goals away of Ilya Kovalchuk's, goal scoring record.
Let's see does Tolvanen, break that record or not.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finland wins 5-4 in overtime.
Tolvanen didn't break, Kovalchuk's goal record but however he was Finland's best player.

Lets wait and see, what he can do in U18 WJC's next April.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finland wins 5-4 in overtime.
Tolvanen didn't break, Kovalchuk's goal record but however he was Finland's best player.

Lets wait and see, what he can do in U18 WJC's next April.

He definetly had chances to score bucket load more goals aswell.. most dangerous player in the tournament by a mile. Still I see Vesalainen as the clearly more talented guy, he will be special.

DLight9

Nov 6, 2015
That Finnish top line was spectacular. Lehtinen looks to have a bright future as well. I was really impressed with how they played against Canada White. Offensively they obviously have Tolvanen and Vesalainen carrying the play, but overall I thought the whole team played mistake free for the most part. They were also opportunistic, created some great chances for themselves after mistakes from Canada White.

I also agree with whoever said that Canada Black didn't look that sharp, but against Canada Red they were like a new team. Durandeau and Veleno played minor hockey together, and I thought that was evident in their play, they had great chemistry.

I haven't seen the Swedes play, but I'm worried about Canada White's chances. They haven't really put together a full 60-minute effort, and if they get down early I'm not sure the young kids will have it in them for another comeback.

And of course Russia will be looking for revenge against Canada Red. I don't know how Jessiman played in net for Canada in that one, but DiPietro has been superb so far. Without some real key saves in the 2nd for his team, Canada Black probably wins that game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad