U17: 2015 World U-17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 1-7)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Fantastic win for Canada White.

I thought overall it was a great tournament - each and every team was able to put together a stretch where they played extremely well. Of course, someone finishes first and someone else finishes last - but I think that each team will be able to take away positives from the tournament...which is always nice - but I think is important when the players are still 16 and, in many cases, are representing their country internationally for the first time.

Canada White was the team I followed the closest - for me, the standouts were Tippett, Bouchard, Scott, and Vilardi. However, I thought that all of the players on that team performed very well and should be proud of themselves (also, I should note that b/c I follow the OHL i'm probably a bit pre-disposed to paying special attention to players from that league).

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Canada White with a fantastic win in the gold medal game. Tippett has an outstanding release and no goalie could have stopped his goals. Overall, the whole group of White were great, they worked their ass off every shift. The forecheck was relentless and gave Russia no space to get their game together. The Russian group didn't look all that great though, their captain (who is considered the top player) looked okay. Goalie was their best player but tonight he was overwhelmed and didn't get much help. Dirty hit in the 1st but played disciplined and well. Red outplayed Russia in the semis and I thought they deserved to win, Russia's goalie stood on his head in that game but White exposed the Russian team with this game.

Overall good tournament for Canada. Looked like this format might look bad last year but they got a gold this year and were very close to a gold/silver.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well done Canada White!

2015 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge all-star team:

Goaltender: Maxim Zhukov (Russia)
Defence: Evan Bouchard (Team Canada White)
Defence: Timothy Liljegren (Sweden)
Forward: Maxime Comtois (Team Canada Red)
Forward: Owen Tippett (Team Canada White)
Forward: Eeli Tolvanen (Finland)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Congrats Team Canada White.

After a disappointing tournament last year it's good to see a rebound this year. But that's a reflection of the cyclical nature of junior hockey, certain groups (birth years) are better than others. Canada 98s not so good, Canada 99s much better. It will be fun tracking this Canadian group of players right up to draft day. Now, lets keep it rolling and rack up a few more tournament wins before draft day comes. and after draft day as well.

Cheers boys.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Gutsy tournament by Russia. Not their most talented age group, but a lot of heart. Happy with the result.

Svechnikov is very good. A bit underutilized.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Is there anywhere I can rewatch the medal games?

Not sure if TSN will replay them or not.
I went to the games but had my wife record them at home. I like to re-watch them and break things down and focus on individuals afterward.
How about the atmosphere in Dawson tonight? That was incredible.
The better team won both games. Russia was flying at the start but Canada's physical game threw them for a bit of a loop and allowed Canada to take the momentum. By the time Russia got their swag back it was too late.
As somebody already mentioned it really was a terrific tournament. So enjoyable I think i'll expand the distance I'm willing to travel to attend them in the future.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
so Canada beat Russia in the World Juniors final, World Championships final,and in the U-17 challange final. Good.

Now the Superseries, please.

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
so Canada beat Russia in the World Juniors final, World Championships final,and in the U-17 challange final. Good.

Now the Superseries, please.

It's funny that so many Canadians rank Russia as the 5th best hockey nation or worse, and still brag at the top of their lungs when they happen to beat Russia in 3 different tournaments in the same year. If Russia is 5th best and Canada is No. 1, what is there to boast about?

It's even funnier that you would boast about beating Russia in the WJC! After all, its the Canadians who are the first and the loudest to proclaim that the WJC should never be used as a measure of national hockey power, since you never know what kind of a team you are going to have from one year to the next. If that qualification applies to Canada, why not Russia as well?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
It's funny that so many Canadians rank Russia as the 5th best hockey nation or worse, and still brag at the top of their lungs when they happen to beat Russia in 3 different tournaments in the same year. If Russia is 5th best and Canada is No. 1, what is there to boast about?

It's even funnier that you would boast about beating Russia in the WJC! After all, its the Canadians who are the first and the loudest to proclaim that the WJC should never be used as a measure of natbe cool , I meant that as a rivalrlional hockey power, since you never know what kind of a team you are going to have from one year to the next. If that qualification applies to Canada, why not Russia as well?

take it easy, I meant that as a rivarly trash talk :) it's nothing more than that...I personally think Russia is #4..maybe higher, but needs to add some good defensemen. The forward group is great as usual. :)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
By the way can Eeli Tolvanen participate Finland, for next years U17 WHC tournament if he makes in Finland's team?.

Tolvanen is born April 22nd day, 1999 so is he eligible to play next year.
What say the tournament rules

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
By the way can Eeli Tolvanen participate Finland, for next years U17 WHC tournament if he makes in Finland's team?.

Tolvanen is born April 22nd day, 1999 so is he eligible to play next year.
What say the tournament rules

It's a tournament for 16 year olds and younger. You can't turn 17 during the calendar year of the tournament.

I would think that Tolvanen will be at the U18 Hlinka tournament over the summer. Maybe IIHF U18 this spring - although, I don't know how competitive it is for roster spots for that in Finland.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's a tournament for 16 year olds and younger. You can't turn 17 during the calendar year of the tournament.

I would think that Tolvanen will be at the U18 Hlinka tournament over the summer. Maybe IIHF U18 this spring - although, I don't know how competitive it is for roster spots for that in Finland.

Thanks for that information.
Tolvanen was most dangerous player, in Finland's team together with Vesalainen.

Those guys were best Finnish players, in this tournament and they performed well.
Next year's Finland U17 team, is probably very good too.

There's one interesting name to follow,for 2018 NHL draft prospects.
And that prospects name is Niklas Nordgren.

Season 2014-2015 Nordgren, played in HIFK's C2 juniors ( U15 team) and he scored 56 goals +63 assists=119 points in 31 regular season games.
He's PPG was 3,83.

Nordgren isn't big guy he's only 5'7 tall (166cm), but he knows certainly how to score goals.

Last edited:

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.

He'll make it if his USHL team isn't in the playoffs.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He'll make it if his USHL team isn't in the playoffs.

When USHL playoffs start with?.
I wondering that, when U18 WJC rosters must be locked.

And does USHL teams, release their players into junior world championships example U18 WJC's.

Tolvanen was impressive, in U17 world challenge.
And he's strong candidate, to participate Finland in U18 world championships.

That's of course different situation, if Sioux City Musketeers goes to USHL playoffs.
And they won't release Tolvanen.

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
The USHL playoffs are like the CHL playoffs except with a lot fewer teams. Usually, there aren't enough high-end prospects in the USHL for countries to use them. The US mostly uses guys from their National Team Development Program, although they did get Kyle Connor in 2014. Finland used Saarijärvi this past year. If the teams are in the playoffs, they won't release their players. If they're not, they will release them.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Sorry, late to the party. wow wow wow, I watched the semi's and gold on TSN. This hockey is amazingly good. These games were as fast or faster then the CHL. Congrats to Canada White on the gold medal. Fellow Manitoban Brett Davis was exceptional in both games (even after getting smoked) as was all the players on the team. Great job guys !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad