U17: 2015 World U-17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 1-7)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He definetly had chances to score bucket load more goals aswell.. most dangerous player in the tournament by a mile. Still I see Vesalainen as the clearly more talented guy, he will be special.

I'm heard that Vesalainen, has a lot potential.
I'm huge HIFK fan in liiga, and i'm only proud that Vesalainen is coming international top level.

By the way, how Vesalainen compares to Puljujärvi.
Both are big guys, and they have huge potential to be star players in NHL.

Too bad HIFK didn't could keep him.
Would be great to see, Vesalainen in HIFK's liiga roster.

Tolvanen is also great prospect.
And if injuries, wont stop his season too early.
He'll be one of the key players, in Finland U18 WJC team next April.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
How did Kristian Vesalainen look in the tournament?

While Tolvanen was most dangerous player on Team Finland i liked Vesalainen the most. He is power foward who can skate, is extremely smart with and without the puck, great playmaker and goal scorer. I have Vesalainen ahead of Tolvanen at this point for next year draft but it's close. They are both excellent prospects.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think Teasdale might be the best Canadian player. Comtois has more points but I didn't know a lot about Teasdale coming into the tournament and now he's really impressing me. Smart, mature player, makes great decisions with the puck and is a head up hockey player.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
If this is true screw the result. Winning it all would be nice, but the main reason I watch these junior tournaments is because I want see if the Czech junior program made a step forward. And according to you, they did. Overplay Russia skill-wise (At times, not the whole match ofc) and actually have a chance to win ? (If they didn't run into hot goalie) Yes, I will take that. Rather get boomed while playing well than get a lucky 2:1 win, but get overplayed the whole match.

Ps: That PP was bad indeed, no goal the whole tournament. Special units decide games nowdays, you just have to use them well.
EDIT: Despite the bad overall standing on the tournament, I will still watch them and cheer for them today in the game against Canada black. Afterall 7th place is better than 8th right :D

Couldn't agree with you more. If i compare these guys to the Czech team 2 years ago (which had the likes of Chlapik, Spacek, Zboril, Suchy, Stransky, Kase, and Jasek), I think these guys are more impressive imo. Program isn't amazing yet (or where it should be) but it has made huge strides in the last few years. I'm just happy that we are competitive again. Competitive enough to battle for a medal (maaaaybe even gold) at this years world juniors already. The days of losing 10-1 to the likes of Canada or Russia are gone. At least for now. But let's hope it never comes back. It shouldn't.
And that's a good feeling..

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
What a game it has been. Going to overtime now, Canadians have been all over the Russians. It's been a great game.

Going to shootout, wow. Canada should have won, all over the Russians and it's terrible that it's going to be decided by breakaways.

Last edited:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Russia takes it in the shootout, Unreal game. Both goalies will be World Junior candidates if they keep this up.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Damn that hurts. Feel terrible for these kids, they played their hearts out (outplayed the Russians by a ton) and were robbed of a win. DiPietro played amazing, he couldn't have been any better.

It's sickening that the kids were robbed of a bush league way of winning a game. They played amazing, keep their heads up and they have the heart to play in the NHL.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Damn that hurts. Feel terrible for these kids, they played their hearts out (outplayed the Russians by a ton) and were robbed of a win. DiPietro played amazing, he couldn't have been any better.

It's sickening that the kids were robbed of a bush league way of winning a game. They played amazing, keep their heads up and they have the heart to play in the NHL.

Nothing bush league of it, World's biggest sporting event the World Cup decides finals via shootout, so can any tournament in Hockey.

The suspense was enthralling. They had enough opportunties they didn't bury.

Hurts now, but they're kids, this is all the build up to the World Junior team, such games can prepare and give extra motivation when needs be.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Yet in over 70 minutes of hockey, there were unable to score more than the opponent.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Kostin looks like a solid player on the Russian side. Should be a dandy final, works out best with the Canada vs. Russia theme! Can't wait until World Juniors, watching this really pumps you up from the unfortunate boring Hockey we witness on a day to day basis with the nhl and it's sombre product.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I'll never be on board with shootouts and think it ruins a beautiful game. Just my opinion.

Just came home from Can-White vs Sweden. SO fun to watch and glad to see a Canada-Russia Gold Medal game. Canadians will be in tough I think but anything can happen.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'll never be on board with shootouts and think it ruins a beautiful game. Just my opinion.

Just came home from Can-White vs Sweden. SO fun to watch and glad to see a Canada-Russia Gold Medal game. Canadians will be in tough I think but anything can happen.
I haven't seen a ton of Canada White but I think they should be able to come through. Russians got 2 lucky goals and beat Canada in the shootout, other than that I didn't really notice anything impressive from the Russians. The goalie stood on his head, again, and that's really been the basis of Russian hockey the last 10 years. Hopefully the goalie will win them the game, doesn't work in the Olympics but I guess it wins them the other tournaments sometimes.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I haven't seen a ton of Canada White but I think they should be able to come through. Russians got 2 lucky goals and beat Canada in the shootout, other than that I didn't really notice anything impressive from the Russians. The goalie stood on his head, again, and that's really been the basis of Russian hockey the last 10 years. Hopefully the goalie will win them the game, doesn't work in the Olympics but I guess it wins them the other tournaments sometimes.

Ridiculous post.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
So, Canada is playing for Gold and Bronze. Overall a successful tournament. Better than last year. Thumbs Up. Maybe I'll try and tune in for the GMG.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
What a game it has been. Going to overtime now, Canadians have been all over the Russians. It's been a great game.
W
Going to shootout, wow. Canada should have won, all over the Russians and it's terrible that it's going to be decided by breakaways.

Couldn't agree more
Best game I have seen in ages
Canada red better team but not enough push around the crease
Excellent skating team
Shootouts are terrible way to end a great game
That's the way euros like it- not the Canadian way

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Couldn't agree with you more. If i compare these guys to the Czech team 2 years ago (which had the likes of Chlapik, Spacek, Zboril, Suchy, Stransky, Kase, and Jasek), I think these guys are more impressive imo. Program isn't amazing yet (or where it should be) but it has made huge strides in the last few years. I'm just happy that we are competitive again. Competitive enough to battle for a medal (maaaaybe even gold) at this years world juniors already. The days of losing 10-1 to the likes of Canada or Russia are gone. At least for now. But let's hope it never comes back. It shouldn't.
And that's a good feeling..

Definitely. 2008's - 2011's Czech juniors are incomparable with 2014's or 2015's ones.
Also very glad we started producing some offensive defensemen (At the tournament they were pretty aggressive and helped the forwards, I loved it) I am sick of the defensive ones that can't even pass.

By the way in the yesterday's match CZE 4:2 CAN BLACK I really liked Tomas Vomacka, he made some spectacular saves and Ostap Safin with a really nice snipe.

I have a question regarding the tournament though, why do we keep swapping with Slovakia in the tournament? I want to watch it next year again, it was fun, and honestly, it's more than clear Czech team stands a greater chance against Russia or Canada than Slovakia. I looked at some older results and Slovaks got smoked in last year tourney. Thy scored two goals.. I am not taking anything away from Slovaks, I wish them good luck, but come on, why keep inviting someone when there is a better avaible... (And speaking of that, it makes it even more irritating that Canada has 3 teams in the tournament, while are Czechs left over.)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I have no idea who is supposed to be a top player or not, but I was at almost every USA game and despite the upset, they were an excellent team overall.

I thought the blueliner Gildon really stood out personally. Dhooge was really good as well but he'll need to put on several more inches and about 50 more pounds...haha.

I've watched the USNTDP teams at this tournament for years and this one was definitely the most mistake prone I can remember seeing. Perhaps the fact that the tournament has been moved earlier into the season has had that effect, though last year's team didn't seem phased by it as they played very well until the final.

Gildon is actually the player that disappointed me most. He clearly has great physical tools and talent but in this tournament he seemed to have no idea how to use them properly. He made some jaw-droppingly bad decisions out there. Hopefully he'll improve in this regard over the next few years.

Dhooge is a fun player to watch and I'm sure he'll be a good college player.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I've watched the USNTDP teams at this tournament for years and this one was definitely the most mistake prone I can remember seeing. Perhaps the fact that the tournament has been moved earlier into the season has had that effect, though last year's team didn't seem phased by it as they played very well until the final.

Gildon is actually the player that disappointed me most. He clearly has great physical tools and talent but in this tournament he seemed to have no idea how to use them properly. He made some jaw-droppingly bad decisions out there. Hopefully he'll improve in this regard over the next few years.

Dhooge is a fun player to watch and I'm sure he'll be a good college player.

The 99s always seemed like a less interesting group to follow than previous and future years, seems you feel the same. Not any Jones, Hanifin, Eichel, Matthews level prospects and you'd be hard pressed to find some as good as their supporting cast i.e Tkachuk, Bracco, Tuch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad