U17: 2015 World U-17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 1-7)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
4-2 Russia after the 2nd. Thought Sweden carried the play in that period but Russia scored on their chances. Sweden is still really sloppy in their own end, lots failed attempts before they exit the zone.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Goal scoring problems, outshooting opponent (31-20) and a loss. Typical Finland's game. But what can you expect after scoring 8 goals in a pre-tournament game.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Czech republic 1:6 USA

I didn't see the match but..
After two periods the shots were 19:23....score 0:5

I don't get it. Anyone saw the game? What the **** happened there?

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.

The US always does well at these tournaments since most of the guys play together all year… although the two players who do not play full-time for the US NTDP both scored yesterday.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I was at the game. Some really wacky goals for the USA for starters. The replays were too tough to really see much of, but the goaltending did not look good at all for the Czechs.

Team USA's speed was giving the Czechs problems all game as well. They had some chances with a few powerplays but looked disorganized and unable to really take advantage of it. I had to leave after the second period but the shots were only that close due to powerplays through two, and the USA had most of the higher quality chances through two periods. I've been really impressed with that American team, particularly the blueline, in both games I watched them play now.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Just got back from CanadaW - USA. Atrociously reffed game all round. USA looked pretty good with their speed, though Canada really got the cycle game going at times. Would be nice to see these two meet up again with some better officiating down the road.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't wait until that Czech Goaltender appears at World Juniors, he'll be a fan favourite for his antics, the next Mrazek hahaha

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can't wait until that Czech Goaltender appears at World Juniors, he'll be a fan favourite for his antics, the next Mrazek hahaha

I know eh....Canada gave it back to him a bit after the win with a big celebration.

Czech's captain had an absolutely unreal goal in the shootout, Datsyukian.

Veleno looks very McDavid-esque when flying up the ice.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I know eh....Canada gave it back to him a bit after the win with a big celebration.

Czech's captain had an absolutely unreal goal in the shootout, Datsyukian.

Veleno looks very McDavid-esque when flying up the ice.

He has that skating style ala McDavid, his technique is flawless, obviously not with same quickness and speed, but he's able to separate himself from a defender with his skating and his hand skills compliment his game as well to give him an arsenal of tools to beat players one on one. He'll definitely be a good one down the road. He looks to be quite tall and lanky also, at the moment he's pretty easy to push off the puck right now, he'll probably get taller still so eventually once he fills out I can see him being a little similar to a Rick Nash type player. Kid's got lots of potential that's for sure.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He has that skating style ala McDavid, his technique is flawless, obviously not with same quickness and speed, but he's able to separate himself from a defender with his skating and his hand skills compliment his game as well to give him an arsenal of tools to beat players one on one. He'll definitely be a good one down the road. He looks to be quite tall and lanky also, and he's pretty easy to push off the puck right now, he'll probably get taller also once eventually once he fills out I can see him being a Rick Nash/Eric Staal type player. Kid's got potential that's for sure.

I see more RNH than those 2, but you never know how he will fill out down the road.

I don't think he is the goal scorer Nash is but his vision and skating are better.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I see more RNH than those 2, but you never know how he will fill out down the road.

I don't think he is the goal scorer Nash is but his vision and skating are better.

Funny you mention that, I was thinking of typing a hybrid of Nash/Nuge but I thought it'd sound too wacky haha!

Yah he might not be, but he's got a terrific shot/release which will help him score his own share of goals.

Crazy to think he's 2018 eligible. Excited to see him develop. I know lots of posters criticised the decision to grant him exceptional status and he's nowhere near McDavid but he definitely should be playing at this level, he's already the best player on this team, haven't seen the others but I'm sure he's right up there with the top 99's.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Funny you mention that, I was thinking of typing a hybrid of Nash/Nuge but I thought it'd sound too wacky haha!

Yah he might not be, but he's got a terrific shot/release which will help him score his own share of goals.

Crazy to think he's 2018 eligible. Excited to see him develop. I know lots of posters criticised the decision to grant him exceptional status and he's nowhere near McDavid but he definitely should be playing at this level, he's already the best player on this team, haven't seen the others but I'm sure he's right up there with the top 99's.

His own team has the #1 pick from the WHL in Mattheos and the #1 pick from the OHL in Levin (another 2018 due to late bday), it is also captained by Shane Bowers who is usually considered among the top 99s in the country.

Veleno looks a lot shiftier and deceptive offensively than those 3, or anyone else on his team for that matter. It is only 2 games however the rest of the tournament will be exciting.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Just got back from CanadaW - USA. Atrociously reffed game all round. USA looked pretty good with their speed, though Canada really got the cycle game going at times. Would be nice to see these two meet up again with some better officiating down the road.

The reffing has just been brutal in general. Any sort of significant open ice hit is a penalty. I'd love to see the footage for Sveningsson's hit last night because from where I was sitting, I couldn't see any head contact at all.

I thought Can White looked pretty good today, although they ran into some trouble with penalties.

Canada White has some pretty good players. Mitchell and Tippett have both really impressed me

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The reffing has just been brutal in general. Any sort of significant open ice hit is a penalty. I'd love to see the footage for Sveningsson's hit last night because from where I was sitting, I couldn't see any head contact at all.

Canada White has some pretty good players. Mitchell and Tippett have both really impressed me

It almost seems to me like every ref there is auditioning for a job at a higher level or something.

I've never seen linesman called a delayed offside with that level of enthusiasm and authority. Refs calling stuff i'm sure just to get noticed.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finland Sweden 2-0 in the first.. Tolvanen again his 4th of the tournament +scored beauty in exhibition

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Dissappointing showing by Sweden so far. Liljegren and Brännström have been good on D but the likes of Lundeström and Hugg who have been dominant in past international games have yet to show up.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Finland Sweden 4-0 Tolvanen with second in the game.. leads tournament goalscoring with 5

seconds later 4-1 liljegren with beauty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad