U17: 2015 World U-17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 1-7)

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
The full roster has not been released but the US does not usually take guys from outside of the NTDP to the tournament, so I feel this is notable.

The Sarnia Sting announced that first-round pick Alexander "Sasha" Chmelevski, originally from Huntington Beach, Calif., has been named to the U17 Challenge roster, two months after captaining Team USA to a gold medal at the Under-17 Five Nations Tournament.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Final Russia NT roster:

Goalies: Arseni Akhmetov, Maxim Zhukov.

Defense: Alexander Alexeyev, Danila Galenyuk, Vladislav Kazamanov, Alexander Osin, Mark Rubinchik, Dmitri Rodionychev, Dmitri Samorukov.

Forwards: Yaroslav Alexeyev, Mikhail Bitsadze, Ivan Chekhovich, Pavel Dyomin, Klim Kostin, Nikolai Kovalenko, Alexei Lipanov, Maxim Marushev, Kirill Slepets, Alexei Statsenko, Andrei Svechnikov, Yegor Zaplatnikov, Igor Zenchikov.

Expecting Slepets, Kostin and Rubinchik to be the key players, also hoping to see something good from Svechnikov and Kovalenko.

Eliteprospects lists some of these guys as playing for Team Russia U18 in the MHL. Has Russia started its own version of the US national team development program?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Unless you are the hegemonic center of sports (America), there is politics in everything.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Veleno and Svechnikov, what a duel that'll be. Let's see which 2000 can rise to the occasion.

Could be 2018's version of Eichel vs. McDavid like duel from when they played eachother in this tournament.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Veleno and Svechnikov, what a duel that'll be. Let's see which 2000 can rise to the occasion.

Could be 2018's version of Eichel vs. McDavid like duel from when they played eachother in this tournament.

Not scheduled to play against each other in round robin unfortunately. Hopefully it happens in the medal round.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
There's a lot of politics in USA Hockey.

I did not say that there is no politics to USA hockey. I was referring to the fact that Russian juniors are always split between loyalty to their nation and the urge to play abroad - other Europeans to a less powerful extent as well. Team selection is, as a result, always a political process in almost every respect. American teams do not face the same kind of struggle.

Of course by 'politics' people often refer to corruption and favoritism as well. I think that stuff is a bit overblown, particularly in reference to player selection.

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
US roster (all NTDP unless otherwise stated):

Goaltenders:
Adam Scheel
Dylan St. Cyr

Defensemen:
Josh Maniscalco
Quinn Hughes
Nate Knoepke
Tommy Miller (Victory Honda)
David Farrance
Phil Kemp
Max Gildon

Forwards
Joey Cassetti
Brady Tkachuk
Graham Slaggert
Josh Norris
Sean Dhooghe
Logan Hutsko
Grant Mismash
Logan Cockerill
Randy Hernandez
Jacob Tortora
Evan Barratt
Scott Reedy
Sasha Chmelevski (Sarnia Sting)

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Really excited for the bolded ones.

No kidding!!! Skarek in a men's league at 15?? With a .921 save percentage through 10 games?? Wow I don't think I've ever seen stats like that from a Czech goalie before. Zadina and Safin are especially intriguing prospects as well and this Kondelik guy?? 6'6?? WOW. Has anyone ever seen him play? He has pretty good stats as well. Hopefully it's not just cause of his size. Zelinger is another guy to keep an eye on. Probably our best defenseman.
Anyways it'll be interesting to see how these guys do. What do Czech fans predict? Should we have high expectations for this group? They seem quite strong.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How about McIsaac? I've heard good things.

Great prospect too, theres also Smith and Woo out West, Veleno is probably the top forward right now, but he's not as " exceptional " as Tavares was. There are some forwards though not as advanced as Veleno at the same age, will take huge steps this year in MM and might catch up by the time they reach junior.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
No kidding!!! Skarek in a men's league at 15?? With a .921 save percentage through 10 games?? Wow I don't think I've ever seen stats like that from a Czech goalie before. Zadina and Safin are especially intriguing prospects as well and this Kondelik guy?? 6'6?? WOW. Has anyone ever seen him play? He has pretty good stats as well. Hopefully it's not just cause of his size. Zelinger is another guy to keep an eye on. Probably our best defenseman.
Anyways it'll be interesting to see how these guys do. What do Czech fans predict? Should we have high expectations for this group? They seem quite strong.

Yes, Skarek, that is something. I heard he plays really well (It's not because of his defense) I didn't even know Zelingr does so well, another one to be excited about I guess. Overall though, I have no idea what expectations should I have. Today's friendly match against Finland could help out with that though.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, Skarek, that is something. I heard he plays really well (It's not because of his defense) I didn't even know Zelingr does so well, another one to be excited about I guess. Overall though, I have no idea what expectations should I have. Today's friendly match against Finland could help out with that though.

That's good to hear. Let me know what the score is! I'm sure I'll have a tough time finding it.

savepercentage

Oct 13, 2015
Wrong Island, N.Y.
Great prospect too, theres also Smith and Woo out West, Veleno is probably the top forward right now, but he's not as " exceptional " as Tavares was. There are some forwards though not as advanced as Veleno at the same age, will take huge steps this year in MM and might catch up by the time they reach junior.

The US has a lot of good ones too. Oliver Wahlstrom is the big name. Jake Wise. Bode Wilde if he chooses our side. T.J. Walsh. Mattias Samuelsson. Jacob Pivonka. But it's probably right to leave 2000s off the list with the Youth Olympics coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad