Prospect Info: 2015-2016 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Probably gonna try and watch the Finland-USA game of the evaluation camp tourney later today. Will see if I can get a better grip on who Räsänen is as a player. Finland have some interesting '17 eligibles in Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Välimäki, Heiskanen and Jokiharju too. All potential 1st rounders.

EDIT: Caleb Jones is playing for Team USA in this game as well.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He was something like 70% or higher on faceoffs at the u18s, which is ridiculous no matter what level you're at. I loved him at that tournament, and was so pumped when we picked him. I really think he'll be a steal.

I hope so, that faceoff ability would come in handy.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Watching Sweden-USA Blue. Caleb Jones is such a beautiful skater. Very athletic just like his brother. Been involved a lot offensively in the 1st period so far while looking smooth defensively. Will be surprised if he isn't a big part of the Team USA blueline in the WJC's.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The one thing a little bit disappointing about Jones is that he seems to lack that killer instinct. He's created a lot of chances these two games but hasn't been able to convert on any of them. Then again it's hockey in the middle of summer so you can't draw any real conclusions from these games.

EDIT: As I say that Jones has a beautiful rush up the ice, hits the post and eventually finds the back of the net. Jeremy Bracco got credited for the goal but not sure he touched it.

Last edited:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The one thing a little bit disappointing about Jones is that he seems to lack that killer instinct. He's created a lot of chances these two games but hasn't been able to convert on any of them. Then again it's hockey in the middle of summer so you can't draw any real conclusions from these games.

EDIT: As I say that Jones has a beautiful rush up the ice, hits the post and eventually finds the back of the net. Jeremy Bracco got credited for the goal but not sure he touched it.

Pronman mentioned him as one of the games stand outs.

I honestly think Jones can be a dynamic game breaker from the backend. Making the Junior team would be massive for his confidence.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pronman mentioned him as one of the games stand outs.

I honestly think Jones can be a dynamic game breaker from the backend. Making the Junior team would be massive for his confidence.

Yeah, he skates and rushes the puck up the ice like Nurse, but Jones in general seem to have a better idea what to do with it once he is there. He's had a very encouraging showing in the world junior evaluation camp so far.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Highlights from the game:

Caleb Jones sweet assist is at 0:43.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yeah, he skates and rushes the puck up the ice like Nurse, but Jones in general seem to have a better idea what to do with it once he is there. He's had a very encouraging showing in the world junior evaluation camp so far.

I am excited to see what he does this year. I've been impressed with his attributes and potential for a while and it looks like his starting to get more comfortable. He mentioned in an interview that he started out as a forward when he was younger and the coach made him switch to d so he would make the team, I am thinking that's why his so fluid on the offensive end.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Ziyat Paigin's playing in a KHL preseason game today, he's wearing #8 and rightside playing on the second pairing.

(the game's in a shootout right now)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Wonder if Caleb Jones isn't up to at least 6'2 now. Looks taller than I remember. Wouldn't be surprised if ends up around 6'2.05 and around 205-210 lbs when he's done growing. May have had a late growth spurt.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Wonder if Caleb Jones isn't up to at least 6'2 now. Looks taller than I remember. Wouldn't be surprised if ends up around 6'2.05 and around 205-210 lbs when he's done growing. May have had a late growth spurt.

I think he may have grew a few inches; he looked about the same height as Joseph Woll in the game today and Woll is listed at 6'3.

Noticed he didn't look as dangerous in terms of creating offensive chances as he did last game, when he had 6 shots on net and an assist. But still played effective holding the line multiple times, and seemed to consistently find open ice on the offensive end.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Looking at Oilers prospects. Man the D have me really intrigued. I know the likes of Marincin/Gernat/Musil had people so excited back in the day, but this crop is more impressive to me

On higher end:
Bear- PPG is amazing, better than any past Oiler D prospect in junior. A PP beast and one of best PP triggerman in CHL. Plus hes a righty. Offense of Gernat but actually complete in D zone

Jones- Lower PPG than Bear but a more complete D with a more complete tool kit. 5x5 he produced amongst best in WHL for D.

Paigin- out of this world points pace in KHL for a D his age. Plus all star and national team appearances. Guy is 6'6 and can move

Then add in:

Lagesson- Reminds me a lot of Musil, id put them on same level. But hes a better skater. Just a mean, mean defensive guy but can still play. Low points in NCAA but his NCAA was garbage and also lost two huge talents to AHL

Niemalainen- was a projected 1st round talent and we got him in 3rd round. Tool kit is great and again his CHL team was garbage. Scouts rave about him. 6'5 and can skate. No major holes

Berglund- 41 points in 43 games for his swedish junior team is amazing. Again a complete prospect. Klingberg like numbers at same level

Add in:

Musil- exceeding at AHL level and could pull a Davidson this year
Laleggia- rookie AHL season is tough but NCAA career was extremely impressive
Osterle- already impressed in NHL

When I look at the D prospect pool, I see one major thing with newest guys: complete package. I dont see many one trick ponies like Gernat (all offense) or Musil (all defense with poor skating). I see a bunch of solid bets and guys with potential to pull a Klingberg/Keith/Brodie. Unlikely itll happen but atleast they have a shot

Its not the most impressive D prospect pool in league, but it does possess a few potential gems

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I still cant understand that Oilers got Jones in round 4. That is some value...i hope he has a good year, then an awsome year in the AHL and in 2 years compete for a roster spot

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Filip Berglund got an invite to the swedish U20 team for a 4 nations tournament in Czech Republic in late august. If he performs well he could have a shot at making the swedish WJC-roster, although it's pretty tough competition among the d-men.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Found this gem on Paigin. Its the top 20 KHL seasons by 20 year old players. Paigin ranks 4th(!) behind Kuznetov, Tarasenko, Golyshev and just below Buchnevich. Keep in mind, this is a defenseman doing that

He had the best season in KHL for a 20 year old from a points POV

Just crazy numbers

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Russian interview with Ziyat Paigin, good read.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsportbo.ru%2Farticle%2F168291%2F

Doesn't sound like he has any reservations heading back to Ak Bars. No KHL contract yet, so that'll be something to keep on eye on.

Going to Ak Bars would probably be best. That team is like the Predators. Hell get less ice time and from reports they play very defensively so his points will plummet. But itll give him a great chance to learn structured D from one of best defensive coaches in league who would make Trotz look like Eakins.

Offense would suffer, but then id bring him over next season and taking leash off him offensively in AHL

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

Found this gem on Paigin. Its the top 20 KHL seasons by 20 year old players. Paigin ranks 4th(!) behind Kuznetov, Tarasenko, Golyshev and just below Buchnevich. Keep in mind, this is a defenseman doing that

He had the best season in KHL for a 20 year old from a points POV

Just crazy numbers

Tough to read too much into it other than he has been good, at that age, in that league. There's a long list of nobodies on there as well.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Tough to read too much into it other than he has been good, at that age, in that league. There's a long list of nobodies on there as well.

You could pull up top scoring CHL players and youll find a long list of nobodies as well. 2 of top 5 are stars, Buchenvich is regarded as a blue chip prospect and Golyshev is seen as Gaudreau-lite player who slipped due to size. Biggest thing is this guy is a 6'6 D. And it wasnt just for 20 year olds, his PPG was one of tops in KHL for all D

Ofcourse David Runblad ripped the SEL up to record setting amounts and couldnt do anything in NHL. If you value NHLe to compare different leagues, his numbers in KHL are about equal to a D in OHL scoring 75 points in 50 games (or 1.5 ppg). I am not sure youll find that type of numbers from any CHL D recently

Better to have a prospect putting up those figures than not, even if hes a long shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad