Prospect Info: 2015-2016 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I really hope that last hit on Edmonton is a bad translation.

I read it as: "Did you think youd be picked by Edmonton?" "No, there was a chance Id be drafted, I could not predict Edmonton"

Question was- You were selected by Edmonton very late, how did you find out? Then- [my own interperation] did ou expect to be chosen [by Edmonton]

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
D Aaron Irving, Drafted No. 162 in 2014 (by Nashville). He was part of a dandy blue line in Edmonton that won the 2014 WHL championship and the Memorial Cup. I always liked his two-way game and the news today that he will be invited to rookie camp suggests the Oilers may see something in him.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
D Aaron Irving, Drafted No. 162 in 2014 (by Nashville). He was part of a dandy blue line in Edmonton that won the 2014 WHL championship and the Memorial Cup. I always liked his two-way game and the news today that he will be invited to rookie camp suggests the Oilers may see something in him.

Former 9th overall WHL pick, not bad. Defensive d that is capable of contributing. He was looked at as an all around d so nice invite.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I don't know a damn thing about this kid but he had solid draft and draft +2 stats in the Dub and he's a RHD.

2013-14 Edmonton Oil Kings 63gp. 9-21-30 88pim. +26
2014-15 Edmonton Oil Kings 65gp. 6-7-13 58pim. -8
2015-16 Edmonton Oil Kings 72gp. 9-31-40 88pim. -3

Not sure what happened in his draft +1 season but the other 2 season's are solid. Anyone that is a regular Oil Kings fan please chime in on what he brings to the table and what he needs to improve on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Guy is tough as nails and has good punching power but he has poor balance in his fights.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
the KHL season started today, Paigin and Ak Bars will play their first match tomorrow vs. Bratislava Slovan.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Do we know if Paigin has expressed any interest in playing in the NHL one day?

A couple weeks ago he said he didn't have a KHL contract yet. Assuming he has one now, we'll know more about his future plans when the details of that come out. Hopefully it's a one year or has an out-clause. From the terrible google translated interview of him I posted on the last page, it certainly sounds like he's focusing on his current team right now (as any good hockey player would say).
He did say this:
Q - In the "Ak Bars" in general, a lot of young people leave to North America. Have you had the opportunity?

A - No, I never saw such options do not. First, one needs to prove himself, and if you notice, you will surely called. First of all, it is necessary here to prove his place. You'll be better here, get there.
Yaaaa, Russian translations are a mess, but my best guess is he wants to establish himself and then make the jump.

Also he said this earlier in the year:

edit: Update

Edit2: Ak Bars won 2-1, no points for Paigin. Played 18:14, 2nd in icetime for D.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Paigin and Ak Bars lost 2-1 in a shootout against the Bogdan-less Neftekhimik today.
He played the second most minutes on the team in the first, but was last among Ak Bars defense in the 2nd and 3rd. He didn't play at all in OT.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Markus Niemeläinen will be part of the finnish roster to an U20 4 nations tournament in Czech Republic starting tomorrow. No idea if there will be any streams. Hoping the Oilers have a nice representation of players at this upcoming World Juniors, it's been too long.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Paigin and Ak Bars lost 2-1 in a shootout against the Bogdan-less Neftekhimik today.
He played the second most minutes on the team in the first, but was last among Ak Bars defense in the 2nd and 3rd. He didn't play at all in OT.

Hopefully Ak Bars aren't up to there ******** like last year.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Hopefully Ak Bars aren't up to there ******** like last year.

I sure hope not.
But it seems like this year they're spreading their icetime out pretty evenly between the top 6 D this year. Last year he averaged less than 8 minutes of icetime per game with Ak Bars. The ~18 minutes he played yesterday is about equal to what he was playing in Sochi last year.

Also, he plays again today. Hopefully he can hit the scoresheet.

PS: The KHL site is awesome, way better than NHL.com.

edit: 7 dmen dressed for Ak Bars today, no Paigin. Injury perhaps?

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Markus Niemeläinen will be part of the finnish roster to an U20 4 nations tournament in Czech Republic starting tomorrow. No idea if there will be any streams. Hoping the Oilers have a nice representation of players at this upcoming World Juniors, it's been too long.

Niemalainen, Rasanen and Jones should all be locks for their respective teams. Bear, Benson and Berglund all have chances too IMO depending how the start of their seasons go.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yes it looks like we've finally got good representation with a number of prospects projected to play for their national team at the WJC. Really excited to see how well Caleb Jones plays; not only is he a lock to make the team but i believe he'll be counted on to be a horse on the top pairing with McAvoy. Good season at a dub as a rookie and a impressive showing at the summer showcase are leading some people/talent evaluators to believe he'll project as a solid second pairing d at the pro level. I expect he will continue to shatter expectation as his development curve continues to rise; he reminds me of a TJ Brodie light the way he plays and deft skill with the backhand. I know it might sound like a reach right now but i find it interesting how eerily similar they are in terms of their draft position (3 picks apart) production in juniors at draft +1 and 2 way ability. It's no surprise the organization is so high on him and waisted no time signing him to a ELC after the conclusion of his junior season.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So Paigin is currently pointless through two games. However, that's on par with most of his teammates; Ak Bars was dealt a rough hand with three games in five days to start the season, and they've scored just four times in that span. The only reason they aren't winless is because they have one of the best goalies in the league in Emil Garipov, and he's been excellent in both of his appearances- a 2-1 win and a 2-1 shootout loss.

As for Paigin, he was averaging just under 18 minutes a night heading into yesterday, when he was scratched as part of an eight-man defensive rotation that head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov is attempting to run early on. There's been a lot of line juggling on the whole after an uncharacteristically slow start for Ak Bars, so I wouldn't necessarily take it as an indictment of his play.

Ak Bats plays again Tuesday. Hopefully he draws back in then.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Tkachev has 2 goals and 2 assists in 2 KHL games so far for Vladivostok Admiral. He's at least worth keeping an eye on - I wonder if the Oilers would look to sign him if he plays well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad