Prospect Info: 2015-2016 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I wouldn't expect Paigin to keep up his pace from last year..

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wouldn't expect Paigin to keep up his pace from last year..

Honestly those were record breaking numbers for someone his age. I predict alot of s% went into those figures. His NHLe was 44 (!!!!) as 20 year old in the KHL. Thats one of highest NHLe for any 2015 draftee in their draft +1, sans Marner and Strome (and Eichel/McDavid)

If he produces around 25 points in 60 games on a uber defensive Ak Bars while playing 1st or 2nd pairing minutes that would be huge

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Honestly those were record breaking numbers for someone his age. I predict alot of s% went into those figures. His NHLe was 44 (!!!!) as 20 year old in the KHL. Thats one of highest NHLe for any 2015 draftee in their draft +1, sans Marner and Strome (and Eichel/McDavid)

If he produces around 25 points in 60 games on a uber defensive Ak Bars while playing 1st or 2nd pairing minutes that would be huge

He shot at 10.2% last year (10.6% with Sochi). Which does seem pretty high compared to other top scoring D.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He shot at 10.2% last year (10.6% with Sochi). Which does seem pretty high compared to other top scoring D.

Yeah thats what I thought, thanks for finding that. Biggest thing from last season is he got good reviews, made All star team and got national team recognition. So apparantly hes doing something well

But putting up those numbers again was/is highly unlikely unless we have next Klingberg on our hands

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
OA goaltender Matthew Mancina was just traded to Mississauga from Peterborough, so it's Dylan Wells crease this year with the Petes. It should be an interesting year for him. They were a pretty competitive team last season.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
OA goaltender Matthew Mancina was just traded to Mississauga from Peterborough, so it's Dylan Wells crease this year with the Petes. It should be an interesting year for him. They were a pretty competitive team last season.

That's good news. Wells is such an odd prospect, he was so good playing in international events and from all accounts his technique is very good, but he couldn't figure it out in the OHL last year. Knowing he's the #1 for the season might be good for his confidence.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Hopefully Wells takes the opportunity and runs with it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Rasanen and Niemelainensscouting report from 4 nations tourney

C Aapeli Rasanen (EDM 6th/2016)

Rasanen continued his strong run of international competitions by standing out as one of Finland’s top forwards. And while it would be fair to point out the Finns’ notable U20 no-shows (Sebastian Aho, Patrik Laine, Jesse Puljujarvi, Janne Kuokkanen, etc.), Rasanen’s two-way skill set as a center almost makes him a unique, if not necessary add to the National Team. The Finns struggled to score in Hodonin, but Rasanen potted two of their four goals. He killed penalties, took defensive zone draws and centered one of the two power play units. We noticed the ice became figuratively smaller as these tournaments progressed, so the speed and skill traditionally inherent in European hockey is seemingly replaced by checking and clogging. But the one constant for Rasanen is that he ends up not only adapting to the nature of a given game, but finds a way to stand out as well. He’s a cerebral player who makes clean plays but used keen vision to locate open linemates for quality chances on several occasions. Rasanen’s hand-eye coordination is outstanding, and he’s lightning-quick at taking a turnover and turning it into a scoring chance in a split second.

LHD Markus Niemelainen (EDM 3rd/2016)

Niemelainen had a strong tournament playing alongside Salo, leading Finland’s second pairing and taking a role on both the power play and penalty kill. He’s a big kid with a massive wingspan, so defending in one-on-one situations has never been a problem. What we noticed almost immediately was an improvement in reading plays and taking calculated risks. The Niemelainen of last year was way too restless in the slot, and his wandering cost him. This wasn’t the case at the Four Nations, where he seemed to communicate well with Salo (and supporting forwards), and released from his slot duties with decisiveness and success. Sure, he still wanders as far as the opposing point. But we didn’t catch him puck gazing or keeping his back turned, and his first-step quickness looks like it improved. Niemelainen showcased his love for shooting the puck, and on occasion took it up-ice with confidence but minus any sort of creativity.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft/u20-four-nations/

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Good read. Rasanen is going to be a steal IMO, this time next year people are going to be questioning how he went in the 6th. Niemalainen has the chance to make people think the same too. I look forward to tracking these two in particular this year and watching them at the u20s.

I think best case scenario for Rasanen is an Aho-lite. Aho doesn't have any screaming skills but he's very cerebral and makes the right play 90% of the time. Here's hoping.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Ak Bars Kazan's early season troubles continued with a 6-5 SO win over SKA. You would not normally call a win troubling, but the club was up 4-1 at one point before Datsyuk and Kovalchuk took over in the third period to tie things up. Ak Bars needed the shootout to finally win it.

However, Paigin did not dress. He went to St. Petersburg but ultimately sat out again as the 9th D.

You'd think a struggling team would want a catalyst like Paigin actually playing games, but it seems as though the coaching staff has different ideas. It's a shame he has a year left on his contract; I'd hate to see him stagnate over there when he could be in the AHL on the top pairing.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ak Bars Kazan's early season troubles continued with a 6-5 SO win over SKA. You would not normally call a win troubling, but the club was up 4-1 at one point before Datsyuk and Kovalchuk took over in the third period to tie things up. Ak Bars needed the shootout to finally win it.

However, Paigin did not dress. He went to St. Petersburg but ultimately sat out again as the 9th D.

You'd think a struggling team would want a catalyst like Paigin actually playing games, but it seems as though the coaching staff has different ideas. It's a shame he has a year left on his contract; I'd hate to see him stagnate over there when he could be in the AHL on the top pairing.

Ak Bars did this too last season. Coach is pretty notorious for being tough with young players. And is an extremely defensive minded coach. Itd be nice to see Paigin succeed in that enviroment, but given the fact same thing happen last season (not dressing, playing as 7th D) and then succeeded in a big way in Sochi, I would be all for him moving

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think we have a good one in Lagesson too. As a freshman he was playing the top competition on his team

CrNG_RtUMAQOXp_.jpg:large

Thats pretty amazing. And from the bloggers who cover his team he performed really well.

Next year his level of comp will remain constant but hell be a year more experienced. Could see 15-20 points

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Ak Bars did this too last season. Coach is pretty notorious for being tough with young players. And is an extremely defensive minded coach. Itd be nice to see Paigin succeed in that enviroment, but given the fact same thing happen last season (not dressing, playing as 7th D) and then succeeded in a big way in Sochi, I would be all for him moving

He was injured, some guy on lowetide posted he was wearing a full face mask for the game today. Played pretty well according to him - got an assist.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
He was injured, some guy on lowetide posted he was wearing a full face mask for the game today. Played pretty well according to him - got an assist.

I think he's been wearing one since an injury last season, he mentioned having to wear it to start this season too. He might have been injured, but the mask probably has nothing to do with it.

Here's him in Sochi last year:
tumblr_nwalkhbTjf1t0srvco1_500.jpg

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I think he's been wearing one since an injury last season, he mentioned having to wear it to start this season too. He might have been injured, but the mask probably has nothing to do with it.

Here's him in Sochi last year:
tumblr_nwalkhbTjf1t0srvco1_500.jpg

Yup he wears a face shield full time, I think it has something to do with his teeth.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Yakimov scored a goal in his first game. Neftekhimik lost to SKA 5-1.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

A bit of a tacky stat, but it does highlight Slepyshev's ability to create. Especially considering he didn't really play with a high end play maker for most of last season.

He's one guy I want to keep an eye on. I'm not saying he'll be better than Eberle (though I do have Pulju pegged for that), but if it came to a having one of the two in a depth role, I'd rather have Slepy at 1/2 the cost of Eberle at 6 million. Particularly if that means the team can keep McDavid, RNH, and Drai together.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
When it comes to Slepyshev, all I ask is that McLellan gives him a chance during camp, give him an honest shot at making the team even if it's just in the bottom 6. If they do and he still fails to impress, fair enough...he got his chance and failed to capitalize.

I don't have a lot of optimism though, for whatever reason this franchise is allergic to success when it comes to young Russian players, whether it's drafting them or developing them. :help:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
When it comes to Slepyshev, all I ask is that McLellan gives him a chance during camp, give him an honest shot at making the team even if it's just in the bottom 6. If they do and he still fails to impress, fair enough...he got his chance and failed to capitalize.

I don't have a lot of optimism though, for whatever reason this franchise is allergic to success when it comes to young Russian players, whether it's drafting them or developing them. :help:

He got more than a fair chance last season, but his play tailed off after preseason. He got to play with McDavid and Hall to start the year iirc. I think he's one of 3 forward prospects who have a chance to make the team out of camp (Caggiula and Khaira being the others, as I think Puljujarvi will make it regardless) and I'm sure he'll get the opportunity. Even if he doesn't I think he'll see NHL time at some point as long as he doesn't pull a Yakimov. Its certainly not the end of the world for a 22 y/o Russian in his 2nd year of NA hockey to not be ready as a full time NHLer.

Actually funny enough I still can't help but remember in the game vs Dallas early in the season where Slepyshev got a breakaway and rang it off the crossbar. I felt that he'd played alright up until that point with limited ice time (he clearly didn't belong in the top 6 at that point in his career) and I almost wonder if a little confidence had he scored might have helped him stick around longer.

Edit: I guess he only got the one game with McDavid now that I look back. Maybe he didn't get as much of a chance as I thought, but regardless I don't think he showed enough to stay in the top 6 and I'm not sure he looked comfortable enough in a bottom 6 role last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad