2015-2016 General Wild Discussion I

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Coyle doesn't have much trade value, and I see him at RW long term anyway. Wasn't good at faceoffs, disappeared for long stretches. He's okay, not going to get you anyone better than he is.

Tuch and this years 1st should be on the table. Won't make the team for 2-3 years. If they want to compete now, package them with one of the vets (I list Koivu because you need an upgrade at center and his salary is huge, but maybe you can do Pominville) for a younger center with top six potential.

Other teams have done it. Dallas got Seguin, Philly got Voracek, LA got Carter, Ottawa got Turris.

Brodin, Kuemper and a 1st for Nugent Hopkins and something else ;)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Koivu can't be traded for an upgrade. That time passed 5 years ago. So put that aside.

And while his contract is bad, he is overpaid by maybe $2 million. He still adds value, and he'd have a good contract if he made $4.75 million/year. There are bigger cap hit problem on this roster than Koivu's $2 million overpayment.

Vanek makes $6.5 million/year, and he's completely worthless.
Pominville makes $5.6 million/year, and he's completely worthless.
Backstrom makes $3.42 million/year, and he's completely worthless.
Cooke makes $2.5 million.year, and he's completely worthless.

That's over $18 milllion/year of 100% fat that needs to be cut before we get to the point that Koivu's $2 million/year is problematic.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
First off, Vanek and Pominville aren't going to get bought out. Vanek would cost $3.25m for FOUR years and Pominville would cost $2.8m for SIX years. Backstrom and Cooke can be bought out relatively painlessly at roughly $3m for each of the next two years.

So say you do that; now you've got maybe $11m in cap space? But you have to give Dubnyk and Granlund contracts, and that's going to eat up at least $6m in space.

Now you have $5m with only 10 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. So yeah, cap space becomes an issue quickly.

Pominville might have trade value, but then you literally only have one RW on the roster (Fontaine), unless you move Coyle back to wing and have one of Nino, Zucker, or Vanek playing out of position.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Lets become the Leafs and trade everything away.

Vanek and Koivu were are 3rd and 4th leading scorers.

Every player in the league will see their numbers drop on the WILD. Said this in another thread Stasny saw his decline greatley in STL. Stastny went from 60 points and 25 goals in COL to 16goals and 46 points in STL. Thats about what we could have expected. Same with Spezza, RNH, anyone else you get to thinking their numbers will even out with the wild, they wont.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Yakupov is nothing

i see yak as another zucker type player after he creates something nobody is there to help him finish. zucker / koivu / yakupov could be a potent line. i want more speed & creativity which i believe yakupov has. name any other dynamic , creative , speedy players available? our other need is a 20G center. how we get those pieces is upto fletch to work some magic.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Priority 1 - Find a new head coach (and there will be plenty to choose from)
Priority 2 - Come up with a long term plan in net
Priority 3 - Blackmail Vanek to get him to drop the no movement clause
Priority 4 - Evaluate the hell out of the offense and start moving some pieces....a few big pieces if necessary
Priority 5 - Get Prosser the #$@! out of here for good!
Priority 6 - Lower beer prices, because fans may need them more next year.

unfortunately the only way i see a new coach is if CL fires CF. 3 years making the playoffs keeps your job in most cases. if dubnyk wants big money forget him & move on. because of ntc we are stuck with koivu , vanek & pommer. so what else can we do but tweak some things.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'm all in on Yak after the Hawks series. If Dubs magically improves once he leaves the Oilers, it's going to be similar for Yak.

Oilers need defense and that is the one area where we have good depth to trade.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
I'm all in on Yak after the Hawks series. If Dubs magically improves once he leaves the Oilers, it's going to be similar for Yak.

Oilers need defense and that is the one area where we have good depth to trade.

He is intriguing, mainly because he could probably (maybe?) be had at a reasonable price and is exactly what we need. I would be down to follow Jarick's suggestion of Ryan Johansen, but i am terrified of the cost esp since we want to get to the point where we have a steady stream of quality prospects coming up and pushing the vets.

J22*

First off, Vanek and Pominville aren't going to get bought out. Vanek would cost $3.25m for FOUR years and Pominville would cost $2.8m for SIX years. Backstrom and Cooke can be bought out relatively painlessly at roughly $3m for each of the next two years.

So say you do that; now you've got maybe $11m in cap space? But you have to give Dubnyk and Granlund contracts, and that's going to eat up at least $6m in space.

Now you have $5m with only 10 forwards and 5 defensemen signed. So yeah, cap space becomes an issue quickly.

Pominville might have trade value, but then you literally only have one RW on the roster (Fontaine), unless you move Coyle back to wing and have one of Nino, Zucker, or Vanek playing out of position.

Not that it really matters because you're talking about things that just aren't going to happen, but, your number are not even close to being correct.

J22*

Is it not half the $'s for 2x the years left?

2/3's of what is owed spread out over 2X the remaining years.

Vanek as an example would be $6.5M x 2 years = $13M
$13M X .667 = $8.671M/4 years = $2.167M

Pominville would be $1.867 for 8 years

Cooke would be $833K for 2 years

Backstrom would be $1.14M for 2 years

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
2/3's of what is owed spread out over 2X the remaining years.

Vanek as an example would be $6.5M x 2 years = $13M
$13M X .667 = $8.671M/4 years = $2.167M

Pominville would be $1.867 for 8 years

Cooke would be $833K for 2 years

Backstrom would be $1.14M for 2 years
That's brutal.

But $6 million/year + 4 roster spots is better than $18 million/year at 4 wasted roster spots.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Vanek and Pominville aren't wasted roster spots. :laugh:

Jesus, people.

Our second and third leading scorers on one of our best offensive teams of all time are 'wasted roster spots'. I agree, it's ridiculous. If Pominville was anywhere close to his career average shooing % wise, he would have had 65-70 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad