2015-2016 General Wild Discussion I

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
Mackinnon and Tarasenkos teams have sat at home after losing to the Wild.
And then a week and a half later the wild are sitting at home also...You are implying that the Wild beat the Blues and Aves with hard work,I'm hear to tell you that hard work can only get you so far sooner or later talent will always prevail.The teams that win the Stanley Cup have super star players,either up front or on the back end but they have them and the wild don't

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

FIRE HIM NOW!!! He just did a "Doug Risebrough!"

We have to learn from it? How many years do you need to lose to them to learn enough!!

Are you ****ing kidding me??

"We expected too much?"

Is it too much to expect this team, that was the best in the NHL from the All-Star break to at least win ONE ****ING GAME against the Hawks??

THATS TOO MUCH TO ASK?>???

**** THE **** RIGHT OUT OF HERE YEO YOU ****ING CHUMP.

God dammit, looks like I made the right call last night not watching game 4. I would have been so pissed I would have given myself a heart attack or just spontaneously combusted.

And now I have to wear this abortion of an avatar cause that damned Hawks mod won our avatar bet again. Because the Wild didn't even show up for the series. Everyone get a good laugh or vomit in, and then right click it and add it to your blocker.

The hockey fan in me died when I read the score and about the game last night. The last time a sports fan in me died was the NFC Championship Game.

This is, unequivocally, the worst playoff drubbing I have witnessed as a Minnesota sports fan. We have no excuses for this ********. We came in rested, with all pieces intact, after destroying the Blues in 6 games, and we played like we couldn't wait for our tee times. Like hey oh we won a first round series that's good enough for me see you next year everybody!! **** off, Wild.

I can think of an "at least..." statement for every other Minnesota team I have witnessed going down in the playoffs since 1998. This team gets nothing. There are no ****ing reasons for this ****, just a team with a bunch of excuses and some huge ****ing questions for next year.

Way to ****ing waste Dubnyk's career revival. Way to ****ing waste a chance to give Parise and Suter something positive to remember in the year they lost their dads. Way to ****ing waste another ****ing year of Parise and Suter's primes. Way to waste another year of the kids cheap entry level deals. Way to ****ing waste what was the most talented roster this franchise has ever iced.

What a ****ing waste. I am disgusted. Thank GOD I had such a dynamite evening and morning away from this ****ing team.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Only 6 teams in the NHL have made the playoffs the last 3 years, and have won 2+ playoff series.

Habs, Rangers, Pens, Hawks, Ducks, and the Wild.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
The way this team and Yeo work we need the entire team back together.

Suter struggles year one then picks it up.

Vanek struggles then picks it up.

We are molded into such a unit that taking the time to re-form any one person will take half the season.

Only thinkg i liked at times were when Schroder, Haula, Fontaine use the O ability to make a few things happen. I like Carter, Cooke and Brodz grinding but grinding plus speed really takes it toll on the opposition.

I would keep the team. Hope it is the 2nd half team. Easily make the playoffs. Take the TOI away from Suter in March and April and get in as a 1-2 in the Central. Have home ice round 1. Be rested. We pushed so hard down the strech(January) and in St Louis we had little left.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The Blues series was our "A New Hope"

The Hawks series was our "Empire Strikes Back"

Next season will be our "Return of the Jedi"

Don't worry guys, Yeo-da's got this ;)

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Kings fan here. You guys should not be so down. The Wild are just building up the playoff experience. This takes time. The Kings exited the first round two times before they went on their crazy run in 2012. Also, the Blackhawks are an incredible team that are very hard to beat in the playoffs (but not impossible).

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Mackinnon and Tarasenkos teams have sat at home after losing to the Wild.

To be perfectly fair, I feel that the Av's russian roulette style of offense last year fed into our defensive identity (and we just so happened to come out on top in game 7 OT).
Furthermore, the Blues were undone by Allen falling apart in the final two games. I'm sorry my friend, but that Parise shorthanded goal, Fontaine's five-hole change up, Scandella's blast off of Allen's glove, Koivu's PP goal deflection off of Bouwmeester's skate (I think it was?), were either lucky bounces or should've been saved. Obviously this is revisionist history, but it's not like we significantly out-skilled the Blues.

Now here come's my main point: We face the hawks and they can defend just as well (and I'd say better) as we can, have a proven goaltender (he stole game 3, it's a fact), and have superstars like Kane. I have no doubt that in the tight checking games we play against them, that our defense (I'd even question this a bit) and goaltending can match what they have. It's just that one thing that set's them apart from us. That one second, that one shot attempt, that one look at the net... it's all Kane needs to score.

I truly feel sorry for anyone that felt after the Blues series that we were going to come in and do the same thing to the Hawks. Just the way we won that series left me feeling a bit... hollow I suppose? I mean, it's great we won, but you had to have known that we weren't going to get those same bounces. No chance. We would have to legitimately bury those chances we earned, and well, we didn't. It's plain and simple.

I apologize for such a long post, and hope that we can find our own legit finisher. It would be quite nice indeed :yo:. Have a great summer :)!

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
If Crawford plays like that, NOBODY is beating the Hawks. Crawford is reason we are out in such embarrassing fashion. First year against Hawks we never had chance..talent and experience were too one-sided. Last year we fought well but had no puck luck. This year we ran out of steam and into a hot goalie.

This is not cause for tearing down what is really the only good roster this franchise has ever had. This team just beat a stacked Blues team after finishing as the league's best team in the second half. We still have Brodin, Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Granlund, Dumba, Spurgeon and Scandella who will only get better.

Positives of the year
-Dumba is a stud. A top 4 lock who brings just what we need.

-Granlund showed again he brings his A game when we need it. He is going to have that breakout 60 pt season really soon. Getting the human whiff machine off his line should do wonders.

-Nino and Zucker both showed they can be 25-30 goal scorers in this league and both bring other positive attributes.

-Coyle showed he is more capable at center than I thought. But still think he is better at wing

Negatives
-Pominville is cooked. Guy cant catch a pass if he isnt sitting still and has whiffed more shots than i thought possible. He is soft, overpaid and tremendously frustrating.

-Don't even get me started on Vanek. He is just embarassing himself out there with his lack of effort. Wonder how he sleeps at night seeing everyone else sacrificing everything to help the team win and he can't even take a check to get the puck out of the zone. The Sabres duo will always let us down. They are the type of guys who pad stats against bad teams and wilt against the good teams. I say get rid of em. We have plenty of good wingers to fill in.

-Brodin was pretty bad in the playoffs I thought. Not too concerned, but he was not good at all in either series. Not his self anyway.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If Crawford plays like that, NOBODY is beating the Hawks. Crawford is reason we are out in such embarrassing fashion. First year against Hawks we never had chance..talent and experience were too one-sided. Last year we fought well but had no puck luck. This year we ran out of steam and into a hot goalie.

He is one reason the team is out in embarrassing fashion. The fact they played very lazy in Game 2 didn't help matters. Game 1's 1st period was atrocious. Too many of the marque players on this team, the "leadership core" were invisible or just made blatantly stupid errors.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011

I think we made him look better than he is, just like last playoffs. Mainly due to our lack of finish.... The rookie Forsberg had a hat trick against them! Other teams don't have nearly as much trouble solving him as we do.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
On the back of a goalie descended from the Heavens, yes.

Yeo had almost nothing to do with the turnaround. It was Dubnyk who provided the spark.

Yeo is still not a good tactical coach, and he's afraid to move players around until the absolute last possible moment.

He had Suter, Pominville and Vanek on the #1PP all year even though it clearly never worked.

He had nothing to do with the turnaround Huh?? so it was all the players in your mind. So now they get swept by the Hawks and its not the players anymore its the coach....OK :shakehead

Gotta Love it!! It was all the Players when they win but now they got swept it has nothing to do with the players it falls on the head coach!!

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Since they won't do anything about the coach and don't have much cap flexibility, they need to make a major trade. The fundamental problem of the team isn't depth, so a depth move won't change anything. We've seen big names fall short for three years now in the playoffs.

If they try and "fix" the team by trading away good young players for another vet, they've completely lost me. Especially if they try and move Spurgeon rather than extend him. They need to build from their defense, not weaken it.

Koivu needs to be out of the top six. He's an okay second line center right now but has been in decline for the past five years. His skating is getting worse and he's going to turn into a liability sooner rather than later. Maybe they can package him, a 1st, Tuch, some big pieces to try and get Ryan Johansen or a similar calibre of player?

If you can't trade Vanek (maybe hold back 50% salary), wait a year and buy him out. One of the dumbest signings in team history. Plays LW, where we already had Parise, Nino, and Zucker. Doesn't fit the identity or playing style of the team at all. Refused to buy into Yeo's philosophy. Independently decided to try and start playing a cute, over-passing style of hockey this year that he has never done in the past.

Obviously you buy out Backstrom and maybe Cooke as well. Don't fit the needs of the team, move on.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
Signing Parise & Suter (Hindsight)

Firstly, I come in peace as a Flyers fan. The Wild have long been one of my favorite 'other' teams and I'm just curious how Wild fans feel about the signing(s) after being eliminated 3 years in a row by the Blackhawks.

I was actually *hoping* they would win the cup this year. With Parise and Suter occupying so much cap, do you feel it was worth it to lock these guys in for such long/expensive deals? Or, do you feel the failure is a result of coaching / lack of other quality personnel?

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Firstly, I come in peace as a Flyers fan. The Wild have long been one of my favorite 'other' teams and I'm just curious how Wild fans feel about the signing(s) after being eliminated 3 years in a row by the Blackhawks.

I was actually *hoping* they would win the cup this year. With Parise and Suter occupying so much cap, do you feel it was worth it to lock these guys in for such long/expensive deals? Or, do you feel the failure is a result of coaching / lack of other quality personnel?

Absolutely worth it. While Suter had a rough series, he was overworked this year. Parise had a great year and his work ethic is unmatched. If anyone considers those two a bad signing, I think that is because they are still emotional from a rough series.

The Koivu/Pominville contracts are the ones that are hurting right now (can't call a three year contract long/expensive).

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Suter and Parise don't occupy the dead cap space that some others occupy (Vanek, Pominville, etc.), so I'd say they at least earn more of their cap space than other high earners.

Without Suter and Parise, I'd argue that we wouldn't even be in the position to be eliminated by Chicago three years in a row.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Since they won't do anything about the coach and don't have much cap flexibility, they need to make a major trade. The fundamental problem of the team isn't depth, so a depth move won't change anything. We've seen big names fall short for three years now in the playoffs.

If they try and "fix" the team by trading away good young players for another vet, they've completely lost me. Especially if they try and move Spurgeon rather than extend him. They need to build from their defense, not weaken it.

Koivu needs to be out of the top six. He's an okay second line center right now but has been in decline for the past five years. His skating is getting worse and he's going to turn into a liability sooner rather than later. Maybe they can package him, a 1st, Tuch, some big pieces to try and get Ryan Johansen or a similar calibre of player?

If you can't trade Vanek (maybe hold back 50% salary), wait a year and buy him out. One of the dumbest signings in team history. Plays LW, where we already had Parise, Nino, and Zucker. Doesn't fit the identity or playing style of the team at all. Refused to buy into Yeo's philosophy. Independently decided to try and start playing a cute, over-passing style of hockey this year that he has never done in the past.

Obviously you buy out Backstrom and maybe Cooke as well. Don't fit the needs of the team, move on.

No one is taking Vanek unless they need to get above the cap floor. This is now the 2nd year in a row where he completely vanished in the playoffs. One of which he was actually a healthy scratch for. The other, he probably should have been. Tie in the fact it was just put in ink from a very respected beat writer that he was not following the scheme as designed by the HC....ya he is a cancer in the eyes of probably 90% of the GM's. Maybe Colorado would take him?

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN

The problem is that if they are going to make a major trade, a young player is gonna have to a be apart of it. That player is most likely Spurgeon. I dont think you can trade Coyle because we need the center depth and I am assuming that Granlund, Nino, Zucker, Brodin, and Dumba are untouchable unless the deal is truly massive.

What can we expect Spurgeon + Pommers to get us?

It is going to be a challenging summer for Fletch and Co. I cant see how you don't make any changes but at the same time you cant make the wrong ones. Overreacting is just as bad as not doing anything. Not doing anything is unacceptable...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I actually feel good about Granlund. Yes, the Blues shut him down a bit, but he was still really good in that series and he was great in the Hawks series. After seeing an entire season of Pominville, I look at Granlund's point production with a clear view. Granlund would have had 60-70 points if he was playing with a half-way decent finisher.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Coyle doesn't have much trade value, and I see him at RW long term anyway. Wasn't good at faceoffs, disappeared for long stretches. He's okay, not going to get you anyone better than he is.

Tuch and this years 1st should be on the table. Won't make the team for 2-3 years. If they want to compete now, package them with one of the vets (I list Koivu because you need an upgrade at center and his salary is huge, but maybe you can do Pominville) for a younger center with top six potential.

Other teams have done it. Dallas got Seguin, Philly got Voracek, LA got Carter, Ottawa got Turris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad