2015-2016 General Wild Discussion I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Mays Here*

I'm all for getting rid of him but we have two problems:

How do we with his NTC?
Who do we replace him with?

Then again, do we necessarily have to replace him? What if we decide to rebuild for a couple years, wouldn't need a replacement then.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Man...completely understand that this is right after a series loss but if this is how it's going to be around here....might have to take some time off. Sports is an escape from the frustration of normal life, not something to be even more frustrated about. I'm just as upset about this as anyone but geezzz

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Man...completely understand that this is right after a series loss but if this is how it's go ing to be around here....might have to take some time off. Sports is an escape from the frustration of normal life, not something to be even more frustrated about. I'm just as upset about this as anyone but geezzz

It'll settle down in the next couple days.

JunkHead88

Jan 29, 2013
Otsego, MN
Priority 1 - Find a new head coach (and there will be plenty to choose from)
Priority 2 - Come up with a long term plan in net
Priority 3 - Blackmail Vanek to get him to drop the no movement clause
Priority 4 - Evaluate the hell out of the offense and start moving some pieces....a few big pieces if necessary
Priority 5 - Get Prosser the #$@! out of here for good!
Priority 6 - Lower beer prices, because fans may need them more next year.

Priority 1 - Not a Priority! Coach got us to round 2 again! not the problem......Move on!
Priority 2 - yes, Test Dubs before you give the big $
Priority 3 - No fight here!
Priority 4 - GoGoGo!
Priority 5 - Not the only Minny guy that needs to go!
Priority 6 - Lower beer prices, because fans may need them more next year. - You said it all right here!

JunkHead88

Jan 29, 2013
Otsego, MN
So everyone knows, Im not asking for a rebuild but, some moves that will better us. 100% Im not a Mikko fan and he has not proved to me to be one. there is a team that can use him and I dont think we are that team. We can do better, we have changed!

JunkHead88

Jan 29, 2013
Otsego, MN

FIRE HIM NOW!!! He just did a "Doug Risebrough!"

We have to learn from it? How many years do you need to lose to them to learn enough!!

YEO, WONT GO!

Stop Blaming him! If he was the problem would the team turned around at the all-star break and got us in the playoffs?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So everyone knows, Im not asking for a rebuild but, some moves that will better us. 100% Im not a Mikko fan and he has not proved to me to be one. there is a team that can use him and I dont think we are that team. We can do better, we have changed!

As much as I agree that Mikko is not the answer for us, the best thing we could hope for would be a Mikko for David Backes swap. We can't trade him without getting an NHL quality top 9 center back, and those aren't necessarily available.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
YEO, WONT GO!

Stop Blaming him! If he was the problem would the team turned around at the all-star break and got us in the playoffs?

On the back of a goalie descended from the Heavens, yes.

Yeo had almost nothing to do with the turnaround. It was Dubnyk who provided the spark.

Yeo is still not a good tactical coach, and he's afraid to move players around until the absolute last possible moment.

He had Suter, Pominville and Vanek on the #1PP all year even though it clearly never worked.

JunkHead88

Jan 29, 2013
Otsego, MN
Koivu needs to go. I want playoff players not regular season ones. Even the two big things he's known for he's dropped significantly with.

Vanek and Poms could just quit for all I care right now.

I get the Vanek complaint and I complain about Poms also but Poms has good numbers. He cant quit, we need something for him. :handclap:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You know, I want to say I could see this coming from a million miles away but that feels hollow now. Such a waste.

What do we do? We can change coaches but then another year as they learn a new system? Can't trade the vets? No one wants the youth or what youth we can give up.

JunkHead88

Jan 29, 2013
Otsego, MN
Yeo had almost nothing to do with the turnaround. It was Dubnyk who provided the spark.

^^^ This 100% complete ********!
Dubs came here with nothing to lose and our Wild team had nothing to lose with him here also.
So tell me where "Yeo" had nothing to do with the turn around with this team!

Did he just tell the guys "hey we got a new goalie!, Play how he needs you to?"

I also guess that coach just sits on the bench and has no say on how a team should play!

Last edited by a moderator:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You know, I want to say I could see this coming from a million miles away but that feels hollow now. Such a waste.

What do we do? We can change coaches but then another year as they learn a new system? Can't trade the vets? No one wants the youth or what youth we can give up.

As much as I pissed people off back in December or January, and as much as I enjoyed the ride from February on, I still stand by what I said back then. This team is not built to be an elite team, I don't care what we did the last two months of the regular season.

You can't build a team with a core of aging vets and young players projected to top out as second liners. You can't build an elite team around 30+ year old players you acquired through free agency and trading. You need to build through the draft and supplement that talent you get with the free agents and the trades.

Not to mention, we still don't have reliable goaltending.

Also, I'm sick of the idea that two way play and character is more important than high end talent. Draft for the best player, not the safest.

So yeah, I don't think this team is built to win a championship. Not when Chicago, Anaheim, LA and Tampa are out there. Fletcher did a good job at making them competitive quick, but I think there's an underlying flaw in the structure of the team. Could we get lucky and make it deep? Perhaps. But that's what it's going to take, a lot of luck, because this team isn't skilled enough to win on skill alone, and Yeo is not a good enough coach to coach them to victory.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Dubs came here with nothing to lose and our Wild team had nothing to lose with him here also.

I also guess that coach just sits on the bench and has no say on how a team should play!

Do you recall where the team was in early January when Yeo was trying to tell them how they should play? 5th worst team in the league? Oh that's right. Then Dubnyk came and put up Vezina caliber numbers for two months.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Do you recall where the team was in early January when Yeo was trying to tell them how they should play? 5th worst team in the league? Oh that's right. Then Dubnyk came and put up Vezina caliber numbers for two months.

5th worst team in the league with the worst goaltending in the league.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Jesus, make the playoffs three times in a row and some are already demanding rebuild? I would rather watch 5 years of playoff disappointments than 5 years of suck alas Edmonton. Also don't see the point in trading Koivu for Backes because Koivu has actually been better player in playoffs.

Tbh i don't think think gmcf can do all that much in the off-season. I'm hoping either Vanek or Pominville is gone because we can't have two soft wingers who can't score in the playoffs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Koivu-Vanek-Parise-Suter will be here next season, Pominville is the 1
I would shop around and make a trade for #1rw, get that and this team goes through to the finals.

LW is much stronger than Rw side, C guys are locked up and top4D is going to be crazy strong even if they trade 1 of those D's for that #1rw.

Pominville's return+ Spurgeon/Dumba for #1rw.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
How does letting go of Mikko Koivu HELP us? Please enlighten me?

It isn't like we can trade him for a top line goalscorer.
It isn't like that cap space will guarantee us goals (we thought Vanek would do that)

And I only see the Wild worse without the team's 2nd line centerman, unless you want Brodziak/Coyle to be that.

So how does that help us?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

As much as I love Dubynk, he is not a top NHL goalie. What makes him so good is that he works perfect in a system that compliments his size and quickness. A system implemented by ... ?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Well, I guess if I had to take a positive from all this, it's that Backstrom didn't get hurt and can be bought out. I'll be honest, I was completely expecting an injury in practice or something a la Heatley that was going to cause offseason surgery to block a buyout.

Anyway, not going to put on my coroner hat until I've let this terrible feeling about the season being over subside. Lots of blame to go around, and I really feel that something needs to be changed over the next few months, but I'm still not sure what the best option to do that would be.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
I guess all I really notice of this team is that, a few years ago, CF promised to build around Koivu. And build he did.

Around Koivu.

Its not that Koivu is a bad player, because he isn't (and I don't want to take a side in that epic Koivu debate #wavewhiteflag). But rather, we have no superstars. Sure, its a simplistic way of thinking that superstars = more wins, but when you have guys like Mackinnon, Tarasenko, and Kane light you up in recent playoffs... it sure gets you thinking. On the flip side I do think we have some good depth. We just need a bona fide finisher (yes, this narrative again haha).
*shrugs*
Mackinnon and Tarasenkos teams have sat at home after losing to the Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I hope Koivu leaves. This team and its fans don't deserve him.

You do know he gets paid millions of dollars, and is the Captain of the team? There are expectations, and he did not meet them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad