2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part IV ** Isles-Keep 5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Fowler to me is the smart consensus choice that got away

Along with the seven (If I remember correctly) other teams after us.

There were clearly concerns with Fowler for whatever reason and who knows if he would have developed the same with us (or anyone else for that matter) that he did with the Ducks. At the time of drafting him, they have some solid veteran defenseman (Beauchemin/Lydman/Vis to name a few), we had Streit and...Mark Eaton, Mike Mottau, and Steve Staios? :help:

We can't play this game anymore, that draft was four years ago.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
That would be the only one that stands out, and even then I wouldn't call that pick a big mistake. Nino is a solid young player with potential for more. The problem was the handling and subsequent trade.

It was a mistake, because he's not a NYI-style guy. I thought that then. That guy was available, and his name was Gormley. They could have taken him there or traded down.

That draft was, in many ways, just like 2008, except less predictable. My theory is that when Johansen went off the board, Snow was thrown for a loop and didn't recover quickly enough.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It was a mistake, because he's not a NYI-style guy. I thought that then. That guy was available, and his name was Gormley. They could have taken him there or traded down.

That draft was, in many ways, just like 2008, except less predictable. My theory is that when Johansen went off the board, Snow was thrown for a loop and didn't recover quickly enough.

It's possible, but I'd like to hope that he had some sort of backup plan. Nino did fit a need at the time, so I understood the pick. We were still in the early part of the rebuild; we had a solid RHD who was developing extremely well in Hamonic, and a LHD we had just taken 12th overall the year before. We had a RW in Okposo, a franchise C in Tavares, and another C(at the time) in Bailey who was taken two years prior.

Going after a LW made sense. Unfortunately it didn't work out. Ironically, top-6 LW is probably the only major need that we have left up front(assuming Nelson sticks at center, and Strome shifts to RW).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I will always believe that something strange happened at the 2010 draft, specifically between days 1 and 2. Their picks on day 2 were just so weird, almost like they threw their book away and were just making it up as they went along. And then Jankowski was let go a couple of weeks later. Suspicious, IMO.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I will always believe that something strange happened at the 2010 draft, specifically between days 1 and 2. Their picks on day 2 were just so weird, almost like they threw their book away and were just making it up as they went along. And then Jankowski was let go a couple of weeks later. Suspicious, IMO.

Agreed, something about that year just didn't seem to jive with how the Isles conduct their business usually. I think they wanted Johansen and were confident he'd be available to them, had to scramble and settle for Nino when he wasn't. Trading up for Nelson was a great move, but the whole draft was pretty much a complete stinker. Glad we at least salvaged one excellent asset from it.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Agreed, something about that year just didn't seem to jive with how the Isles conduct their business usually. I think they wanted Johansen and were confident he'd be available to them, had to scramble and settle for Nino when he wasn't. Trading up for Nelson was a great move, but the whole draft was pretty much a complete stinker. Glad we at least salvaged one excellent asset from it.

I'm just not sure what ya'll mean by this. Are you suggesting that they didnt have a draft board? When one person is gone, you take the next on your list. To me thats Draft 101.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I'm just not sure what ya'll mean by this. Are you suggesting that they didnt have a draft board? When one person is gone, you take the next on your list. To me thats Draft 101.

Totally agree, but that draft, other than the Nelson pick, was an utter snafu. It's almost like they didn't reach a consensus on the board prior to the draft.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'd really hope that the Isles had a top 5 draft board to prepare for any and all scenarios. Heck, you knew Hall and Seguin were going 1/2, so you only had to have a top 3.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Didn't that have something to do with Ryan Jankowskk let go ?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There's been plenty of speculation that FL wants Nylander.

David Staple is hyping this draft as having a big four, but writers like Button are saying some scouts believe Nylander and Ehlers have just as much upside as anyone in this draft. and have them at the top of their draft boards.

The fact that FL is pushing hard to find a trade partner and willing to go down as low as 6th or 7th because they feel their #1 choice will still be available at that spot, is a good indication that there is little separating the top 6-8 prospects.

I would be pretty happy sitting tight at #5 and taking BPA.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...eams-looking-to-trade-for-first-overall-pick/
Writes Fialkov: “The source also said that if the Panthers don’t like any of the many offers they’re fielding from other teams regarding their overall No. 1 draft pick, then they’re leaning toward selecting 6-foot-3, 218-pound defenseman Aaron Ekblad because he’s considered the most NHL-ready of the projected top four prospects.â€

4. And this is just a hunch: Florida seems increasingly keen to move this pick. They’re making it clear to all below them that Ekblad isn’t going to fall to them somehow, perhaps in an effort to create more of a market for that pick, the message being: “If you want Ekblad, you must deal for this pick.â€

It could be a bluff. Who knows?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
And this is just a hunch: Florida seems increasingly keen to move this pick. They’re making it clear to all below them that Ekblad isn’t going to fall to them somehow, perhaps in an effort to create more of a market for that pick, the message being: “If you want Ekblad, you must deal for this pick.â€

It could be a bluff. Who knows?

I'd be on the phone with the Oilers every day. It would start with, "So, who besides Nail would you consider trading me for..."

scott99

May 13, 2005
DraftBuzz's Final Rankings thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1686605

Ahem, take a look at who they have #1.

They have some INTERESTING rankings to say the least. I bought their Draft Guide, which is an excellent value for $8 and change. BUT, kinda inconsistant. They have their top rated guy going 6th in their mock draft, makes no sense. Otherwise, it's a very good draft guide with 70+ pages of info for $8 and change, a terrific value.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
They have some INTERESTING rankings to say the least. I bought their Draft Guide, which is an excellent value for $8 and change. BUT, kinda inconsistant. They have their top rated guy going 6th in their mock draft, makes no sense. Otherwise, it's a very good draft guide with 70+ pages of info for $8 and change, a terrific value.

Their rankings are definitely different.

I like that they feel the same way about Dal Colle as I do. I think people sell him a little short, he's just as a legit prospect any of the top-4. I remember I read somewhere before the season that MDC compared favorably to our own Tavares so my interest was definitely piqued. The whole Oshawa thing is going to contribute to that, but they are both high end offensive talents who excel at puck possession, have sick hands, top of their class hockey intelligence/instincts, and have character. We've seen how amazing of a player Johnny is, if we could get our hands on a Tavares-lite... you run to the podium. I love this kid, I want us to stay at #5 and grab him. Hopefully Calgary doesn't take him, but that would likely mean we'll get Bennett.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Agreed, something about that year just didn't seem to jive with how the Isles conduct their business usually. I think they wanted Johansen and were confident he'd be available to them, had to scramble and settle for Nino when he wasn't.

It's not that hard picking 5th, you make a top 5 list and then you pick whichever is the highest ranked guy left on the board

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think that Snow sort of subscribes to the character idea used here -

http://frozenroyalty.net/2014/06/11...character-and-leadership-is-paying-dividends/

But he is not supplementing it with some winning vets or the proper coaching.

I only skimmed it, but it seems like a good article that I might try to read later. The Kings seem like a really well-coached team, but I guess part of that is having a group of players willing to buy into and execute consistently what the coach wants them to do. And that fits Lombardi's emphasis on getting players who will buy into what they're trying to do.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
you cant go wrong with drafting Skill + High character....the willingness to get better and work hard is what separates most players....

That's why I love Tavares so much and respect the heck out of him...

Dal Colle seems to fit in that mold...

like Strome Reinhart Hamonic Pulock Nelson....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad