2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part IV ** Isles-Keep 5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
Their rankings are definitely different.

I like that they feel the same way about Dal Colle as I do. I think people sell him a little short, he's just as a legit prospect any of the top-4. I remember I read somewhere before the season that MDC compared favorably to our own Tavares so my interest was definitely piqued. The whole Oshawa thing is going to contribute to that, but they are both high end offensive talents who excel at puck possession, have sick hands, top of their class hockey intelligence/instincts, and have character. We've seen how amazing of a player Johnny is, if we could get our hands on a Tavares-lite... you run to the podium. I love this kid, I want us to stay at #5 and grab him. Hopefully Calgary doesn't take him, but that would likely mean we'll get Bennett.

Wow, color me shocked about the list. Never doubted MDC's talent but with everyone putting Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad and Draisaitl above him (maybe for good reason), it kind of swayed my opinion. Obviously, this is just another opinion, but I would be thrilled to get MDC, especially if your JT comparison is even half-way true. People probably know by now I've been in the Ehlers boat, but I'd be just as fine with MDC. Or any of these guys really.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Wow, color me shocked about the list. Never doubted MDC's talent but with everyone putting Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad and Draisaitl above him (maybe for good reason), it kind of swayed my opinion. Obviously, this is just another opinion, but I would be thrilled to get MDC, especially if your JT comparison is even half-way true. People probably know by now I've been in the Ehlers boat, but I'd be just as fine with MDC. Or any of these guys really.

I'm starting to like Ehlers more and more, but I'm still a MDC/Ritchie guy first. Interesting article on LHH concerning the top prospects in the class.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2014/6/10/5798906/potential-draft-pick-statistical-comparables

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Nice to see that ranking. MDC is still my top choice if none of the top 3 fall to us. After that, I like Nylander and Ehlers in no particular order. Hopefully Snow doesn't do something random and take Jake Virtanen or something.

But there's just as much a chance we won't be drafting at 5. We'll see.

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Their rankings are definitely different.

I like that they feel the same way about Dal Colle as I do. I think people sell him a little short, he's just as a legit prospect any of the top-4. I remember I read somewhere before the season that MDC compared favorably to our own Tavares so my interest was definitely piqued. The whole Oshawa thing is going to contribute to that, but they are both high end offensive talents who excel at puck possession, have sick hands, top of their class hockey intelligence/instincts, and have character. We've seen how amazing of a player Johnny is, if we could get our hands on a Tavares-lite... you run to the podium. I love this kid, I want us to stay at #5 and grab him. Hopefully Calgary doesn't take him, but that would likely mean we'll get Bennett.

I believe the guy who releases that list does his rankings in a different kind of way than most lists, in that there's a larger chance of players moving up and down his rankings on a month to month basis based on how they're currently playing/producing. One bad month could see a guy previously ranked 4th drop all the way to 7th, for example.

In other words, his rankings tend to fluctuate more than most rankings based on the short term. So you'll likely see much more movement among player rankings month to month than you will in almost any other ranking.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the article, good read.

Still want Ehlers or MDC if we stay at #5. I think Ehlers would be the perfect fit for the top line LW spot in a few years alongside JT and KO.

Assuming things go as planned from 1-4, I'd by psyched with any one of MDC/Ritchie/Ehlers. They all bring something different to the table and would be good fits across the board.

MDC aka Tavares-lite gives us another high end offensive catalyst who can impact at either wing or center.

Ehlers gives us that possible gamebreaker. He'd also be Frans' sidekick since Johnny has Strome. The 'Electric Ehl' is a very fitting and good nickname.

Ritchie could be our modern day Clark Gillies. Take away the size and nastiness, he's still a skilled forward with legit NHL top-6 potential. Add that in the size and nastiness, he is a potential beast.

All would need time to develop, but the payoff could be excellent. I don't think we can go wrong with any of them.

Just no Draisaitl, I'm not his biggest fan.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As you know 90 I like Ehlers, if you think he's going to be special you take him.

Agreed Rex.

It's a tough choice and there are no sure things. There is a few safer picks than Ehlers but none with his upside Imo.

I wouldn't want to be a GM with that choice.

Lets say the first 4 picks are in no particular order

Ekblad Reinhart Draistle Bennett.

If your Garth at 5 you really got a lot to think about.

Couldn be any of Dal Colle Ehlers Nylander or Ritchie IMO.

Or do you drop back a few spots and let the other teams ahead of you make the choice and grab who eer drops?

I say stay at five and go with your highest rates guy on the board.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Agreed Rex.

It's a tough choice and there are no sure things. There is a few safer picks than Ehlers but none with his upside Imo.

I wouldn't want to be a GM with that choice.

Lets say the first 4 picks are in no particular order

Ekblad Reinhart Draistle Bennett.

If your Garth at 5 you really got a lot to think about.

Couldn be any of Dal Colle Ehlers Nylander or Ritchie IMO.

Or do you drop back a few spots and let the other teams ahead of you make the choice and grab who eer drops?

I say stay at five and go with your highest rates guy on the board.

Agree, stay at five, go for the best guy on the board-for example, no need to trade down like in 2008 because the farm was barren then, that's not the case now. Need quality now, needed quantity then. Too great of an opportunity to draft a player to play with JT.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I am not the least bit surprised seeing mdc ranked that high. Honestly the kid might be the best scorer in the class.

In a way like Barkov last year I could see MDC sneaking into the top three. Not that barkov was not worthy of going that high, I just think it caught some by surprise.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I am not the least bit surprised seeing mdc ranked that high. Honestly the kid might be the best scorer in the class.

In a way like Barkov last year I could see MDC sneaking into the top three. Not that barkov was not worthy of going that high, I just think it caught some by surprise.

Just a guess on my part, get the feeling Calgary could be the team to take MDC ahead of the Islanders especially if both the Sams are gone.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just a guess on my part, get the feeling Calgary could be the team to take MDC ahead of the Islanders especially if both the Sams are gone.

That's my fear, that Calgary takes him and Draisaitl is sitting there at #5. I do not like him for several reasons, he's the one guy in the top 10ish that I don't have a good feeling about.

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.

That would leave Draisaitl then...wouldn't be upset with him, but I'd rather have Ehlers. Not sure about Ritchie, but everything PWJ has said has been encouraging. I don't see these guys in game action, just in highlight videos at the most.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That's my fear, that Calgary takes him and Draisaitl is sitting there at #5. I do not like him for several reasons, he's the one guy in the top 10ish that I don't have a good feeling about.

Hasn't Edmonton been heavily rumored to pick Draisaitl? Anyway, I still remain in the grand slam category with Ehlers.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

That would make two of us. I can't explain it but I want little to nothing to do with Draisaitl. I would pass and take either of Ehlers or Ritchie. Possibly trade down and look into Larkin or Milano.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Contrary to most of the mock drafts, ratings ect, I have (for whatever that's worth) Ehlers over Draisaitl in hockey sense (a huge thing with me), skating, goal scoring, all around play. Draisaitl of course has size and is more of a playmaker though Ehlers can set goals up too. Just believe that Ehlers will become the better player, I like him more because of his positives.

Last edited:

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I still would like the isles to find a way to nab Reinhart. It just makes too much sense if the price isnt crazy.

Aside from that, id like to see us nab Bennett, DalColle or Ehlers. I'm comfortable staying at 5, but I would move a couple picks or someone like bailey to move up to nab Reinhart...

Ekblad, i'm still not so sure about. I'm def no expert but he just strikes me as a guy more physically mature than others and so he just plays above them...moreso than having super elite skills...

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I will always believe that something strange happened at the 2010 draft, specifically between days 1 and 2. Their picks on day 2 were just so weird, almost like they threw their book away and were just making it up as they went along. And then Jankowski was let go a couple of weeks later. Suspicious, IMO.

Wouldn't surprise me. Trading away a 4th rounder and two 6th rounders for picks in the following draft was another indicator that they didn't have much in mind for day 2. And after the more recent report that Snow was never sold on Nino, maybe Snow and Jankowski got into it about Nino after day 1, and that led to Snow pitching the draft board for day 2 and firing Janks? Seems plausible, considering Janks' duties would later just become part of Snow's job.

Whatever happened, Janks being let go made it clear they were not happy with how the scouting was handled for that draft. Whether it was actually on Janks, or he's just the one who got thrown under the bus, though, is anyone's guess.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kinda odd that whole situation. Janks is a 2nd generation scout and really respected around hockey circles. Would love to know that really happend. The whole Cody Rosen thing still baffils me.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Wouldn't surprise me. Trading away a 4th rounder and two 6th rounders for picks in the following draft was another indicator that they didn't have much in mind for day 2. And after the more recent report that Snow was never sold on Nino, maybe Snow and Jankowski got into it about Nino after day 1, and that led to Snow pitching the draft board for day 2 and firing Janks? Seems plausible, considering Janks' duties would later just become part of Snow's job.

Whatever happened, Janks being let go made it clear they were not happy with how the scouting was handled for that draft. Whether it was actually on Janks, or he's just the one who got thrown under the bus, though, is anyone's guess.

That's been my theory. Between trading away picks, taking Kabanov, Dehart (teammate of, I think. CDH, who they probably saw when scouting CDH), Rosen. It's like they were just winging it on Day 2. I've suspected that something happened that made Snow deeply regret taking Nino, and he chucked Janks' book on day 2 and then let him go shortly thereafter.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Same here.... and I'm wondering how much being a scoring winger going up against all centermen hurt MDC in that LHH study.

Good question, only saw MDC when the Prospects Game was on NHL Network so can't give an answer to that one. From the 4 or 5 games that Halifax was on, Ehlers was so dynamic every time, always did something that stood out. Not worried a bit about his size (really it's not like he is tiny) with all that skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad