NHL TV ratings 2023/2024

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
With all the numbers in for the first complete series, Rangers-Capitals averaged 1,140,500 viewers per game nationally. Not bad for non-exclusive, and for a sweep
Those numbers do not include the local broadcasts (MSG, whoever carries Caps in the DC market), correct?

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Mears & Armstrong are calling the Kings-Oilers game from a studio. Which, in the split rights era is interesting, for the playoffs.

They (TNT Sports) did it for the Heritage Classic but that was essentially an added to the schedule throwaway broadcast on TBS.

Again. Mears & Armstrong tonight for NSH-VAN, from the studio.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Reaser

May 19, 2021
SBJ's regular season recap:

For those that might have missed the Local ratings info in the article:

-Up-
Blackhawks: up 35%
Red Wings: up 32%
Flyers: up 30%
Rangers: up 17%
Islanders: up 16%

-Down-
Lightning: down 27%
Bruins: down 19% (up 49% last season so drop expected)
Wild: down 14%
Devils: down 12%

“To see something like in the New York markets where the Rangers actually beat the Knicks -- on an up year for the Knicks -- was pretty wild.”

18-34 demo & female audience both up on regional/local broadcasts.

4mats4

Sep 15, 2019
“To see something like in the New York markets where the Rangers actually beat the Knicks -- on an up year for the Knicks -- was pretty wild.”
I would love to see the actual numbers for this, and also where the numbers are coming from. Living in the NYC metro it definitely feels like the city proper is Knicks territory but the suburbs are far more swayed to hockey and the Rangers in general. I see a lot more Rangers flags/bumper stickers/license plates than I do for the Knicks in the suburbs

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The big reason why NBC was willing to walk away from the NHL was because they wanted to focus on getting more premier sports properties like the NBA. If they get the NBA, the NHL will likely never be on NBC again in the foreseeable future.
Errr is this accurate? They were shutting down NBCSN. It may be, I just don't recall hearing it.

The big problem is, without NBCSN, would they really have been willing to put the NHL on USA during the week? I don't think the NHL was willing to go 100% streaming on Peacock.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I would love to see the actual numbers for this, and also where the numbers are coming from. Living in the NYC metro it definitely feels like the city proper is Knicks territory but the suburbs are far more swayed to hockey and the Rangers in general. I see a lot more Rangers flags/bumper stickers/license plates than I do for the Knicks in the suburbs
No actual number but in their NBA local ratings article they list the Knicks up 10% from last year and I coudn't find them but they were at 1.43 in the 21/22 season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
But the Yankees still beat all of them in terms of ratings and being the most popular team in both the city and suburbs?

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
But the Yankees still beat all of them in terms of ratings and being the most popular team in both the city and suburbs?
Yes. Last season the Yankees were at 2.23 and the Mets at 1.73 so both over the Knicks then you would list Rangers, Islanders and Devils if I remember well.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Yes. Last season the Yankees were at 2.23 and the Mets at 1.73 so both over the Knicks then you would list Rangers, Islanders and Devils if I remember well.
But don't forget it's not a good comparison as the Yankees have 162 games vs. 82 each for the Rangers and Knicks.

The gap would certainly be much, much wider between the Yankees and Rangers/Knicks if the Yankees only played 82 games and if the Rangers/Knicks played 162 games.

One can perhaps watch 82 Rangers or Knicks games, but 100 or even all 162 Yankees is almost impossible for most people.

Obviously you know this, but some might not think of it immediately.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Errr is this accurate? They were shutting down NBCSN. It may be, I just don't recall hearing it.

The big problem is, without NBCSN, would they really have been willing to put the NHL on USA during the week? I don't think the NHL was willing to go 100% streaming on Peacock.

Since they lost the NHL, they re-upped with the NFL, EPL, and added Big Ten Football/Basketball. Based on that and the rumored offer to NBA, it’s clear NBC didn’t see the value of keeping the NHL.

Last edited:

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
But don't forget it's not a good comparison as the Yankees have 162 games vs. 82 each for the Rangers and Knicks.

The gap would certainly be much, much wider between the Yankees and Rangers/Knicks if the Yankees only played 82 games and if the Rangers/Knicks played 162 games.

One can perhaps watch 82 Rangers or Knicks games, but 100 or even all 162 Yankees is almost impossible for most people.

Obviously you know this, but some might not think of it immediately.
Yeah but from 162 the Yanks get like 30/40 on national TV with all of the MLB deals so it kind of evens out in the end. Some games got to over 500K which no other team in the other can get to.

Since they lost the NHL, they re-upped with the NFL, EPL, and added Big Ten Football/Basketball. Based on that and the rumored offer to NBA, it’s clear NBC isn’t see the value of keeping the NHL.
Yeah they went for more "marquee" stuff than hours of content to fill NBC and Peacock.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Yes. USA doesn't really have all that much original programming that's worth airing over NHL.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
So, why would 200K people watch the game on truTV instead of just going to TBS/TNT? Or are these 200K people senior citizens who came for Practical Jokers for their daily nap and left it on the game? I am confused.
A couple of reasons:

1.) People scrolling / surfing on the tv and channel guide and landing on Trutv first and just keep it there when they find the game.

2.) If they have a internet love video On demand service (like Hulu live) they may not be going through a channel guide to find the game, but see something that says the game and select it which takes them to Trutv.

3.) it was also speculated earlier re: NBA numbers that services that provide multi view, such as Youtube tv, use Tru rather than TNT/TBS for its selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad