seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
My top three:

1a.) Draisaitil
1b.) Ehlers
3.) Dal Colle

Obviously if any of Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett fall, then they would be my number one.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So how about that draisaitl?

Big center with soft mitts and knows how to use his body to protect the puck.

There is speculation that Edmonton wants to get bigger at center and Calgary could definitely use him. I don't think he makes it past fourth overall.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
While it is unlikely that draisaitl is playing for the nyi next year, the hockey news talked to a scout that said draisaitl will be in the show next season. Take it for what it's worth...

I'm sure he's capable of it, but the Islanders have been extremely patient with their top prospects recently after the Nino debacle. Even Reinhart, who was considered NHL ready and fit a huge need, received two years of development. We are strong up the middle, so unless Draisaitl absolutely destroys camp, he's probably going to get at least a year.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Big center with soft mitts and knows how to use his body to protect the puck.

There is speculation that Edmonton wants to get bigger at center and Calgary could definitely use him. I don't think he makes it past fourth overall.

Nope. If we stick at 5, it will be Dal Colle most likely.

My guess is it goes:

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Draisaitl
4. Bennett

...although, if Edmonton takes Bennett, that could increase our chances. Not sure where I read it, but Burke didn't/doesn't seem too high on Draisaitl.

Last edited:

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Nope. If we stick at 5, it will be Dal Colle most likely.

My guess is it goes:

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Draisaitl
4. Bennett

...although, if Edmonton takes Bennett, that could increase our chances. Not sure where I read it, but Burke didn't/doesn't seem to high on Draisaitl.

I don't think thats a factor much anymore because Brad Treliving was hired as GM, which pushes Burke soley to his position as President of hockey operations. Not sure how much say he will have in the draft now, but i would assume its less

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don't think thats a factor much anymore because Brad Treliving was hired as GM, which pushes Burke soley to his position as President of hockey operations. Not sure how much say he will have in the draft now, but i would assume its less

I'm assuming he will have a lot of say, at least in year one, and especially with a top-4 pick. What do I know though.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Bit off-topic but it's crazy how fun and exciting the NFL & NHL drafts are, when compared to NBA (where maybe the top 5 players have a chance of making an impact in the league, also they can't figure out draft day trades so you have guys putting on gear for a different team) and especially the MLB (which suckssssssss plain and simple).

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm assuming he will have a lot of say, at least in year one, and especially with a top-4 pick. What do I know though.

Agreed. With your first sentence, not the second.:)

I'm going to Rexall tonight to see Edmonton and Portland, game four. Besides Brett Pollock, does anybody have anyone I should keep an eye on for either team? This involves mainly those eligible for the draft in 2014 or 2015.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I'm going to Rexall tonight to see Edmonton and Portland, game four. Besides Brett Pollock, does anybody have anyone I should keep an eye on for either team? This involves mainly those eligible for the draft in 2014 or 2015.

There are a few. I posted in the previous thread but it's locked now:

Edmonton:
Pollock, C(RD2)
Mayo, D(RD3-4)

Portland:
De Leo, C(RD2)
Iverson, RW(RD3-4)
Turgeon, C(RD5-7)

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Bit off-topic but it's crazy how fun and exciting the NFL & NHL drafts are, when compared to NBA (where maybe the top 5 players have a chance of making an impact in the league, also they can't figure out draft day trades so you have guys putting on gear for a different team) and especially the MLB (which suckssssssss plain and simple).

I've been getting more into the MLB draft lately. I think it's just as important as the NHL draft, but the guys just take a little longer to reach the bigs(especially out of High School).

You can tell how much more important the draft has become, with the unwillingness for teams to sign Type-A free agents and surrender their 1st round pick as compensation.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Edmonton:
Pollock, C(RD2)
Mayo, D(RD3-4)

Portland:
De Leo, C(RD2)
Iverson, RW(RD3-4)
Turgeon, C(RD5-7)

Thanks. I remember this post now. There are benefits of seeing a game live, as you can watch a player away from the puck. TV will show the action closer up, and radio has its advantages, as good announcers will explain the action, and how players are doing, in greater detail as the listeners can't see what's happening.

Back to Burke and Treliving, I hope Burke takes a collaborative approach with him in the draft process.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Have to agree. I love the NFL and NHL drafts. I usually watch the NFL draft by myself, but try to watch as much of it as possible.

The NHL Draft is a different story. I usually go up to my Uncle's house in the Poconos, and he has an amazing basement with a HUGE 60" Sony TV and couches with recliners. He call's it draft central. Though he's a Ranger's fan, he isn't one of those jerky Ranger's fans. He just LOVES hockey (as do I obviously), and he's an NHL Draft junky. Hell, he probably remembers more about Islander's draft picks than most Islander's fans lol. He just know's his stuff.

We watch the ENTIRE draft. Now that it's Friday nights for round 1, I usually take off Friday and head up to his place on Thursday night. One of my favorite memories was the 2009 draft, I didn't take off that Thursday, so I traveled up early evening. My Uncle's wife had an amazing bowl of pasta with sausages and meatballs waiting, we walked in 10 minutes before the draft.

Best pasta I ever had, because 10 minutes later, the Isle's drafted John Tavares. Was walking on cloud 9 that night. What a great memory.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Just have fun and enjoy the game.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Have to agree. I love the NFL and NHL drafts. I usually watch the NFL draft by myself, but try to watch as much of it as possible.

The NHL Draft is a different story. I usually go up to my Uncle's house in the Poconos, and he has an amazing basement with a HUGE 60" Sony TV and couches with recliners. He call's it draft central. Though he's a Ranger's fan, he isn't one of those jerky Ranger's fans. He just LOVES hockey (as do I obviously), and he's an NHL Draft junky. Hell, he probably remembers more about Islander's draft picks than most Islander's fans lol. He just know's his stuff.

We watch the ENTIRE draft. Now that it's Friday nights for round 1, I usually take off Friday and head up to his place on Thursday night. One of my favorite memories was the 2009 draft, I didn't take off that Thursday, so I traveled up early evening. My Uncle's wife had an amazing bowl of pasta with sausages and meatballs waiting, we walked in 10 minutes before the draft.

Best pasta I ever had, because 10 minutes later, the Isle's drafted John Tavares. Was walking on cloud 9 that night. What a great memory.

Hockey and football are my favorites, I watch the wholle NFL draft though I really don't know the players.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Edmonton:
Pollock, C(RD2)
Mayo, D(RD3-4)

Portland:
De Leo, C(RD2)
Iverson, RW(RD3-4)
Turgeon, C(RD5-7)

I wonder if Iverson likes to "practice" ?

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004

me thinks this should be an islander voodoo tradition. everyone eat pasta with sausage and meatballs to ensure we end up with the best player(S) in the draft!

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

I disagree about the NBA, it's a really fun night as well. In some ways it's more important than in the NFL or NHL due to only having 2 rounds. With the influx of more European players coming from obscure places all around the world, it really has taken the NBA draft to another level.

Like Giannis Antetokounmpo, selected 15th overall last year. Born in Greece to African immigrant parents, who played in a low division in Greece as a youngster that not many people have ever heard of. Next thing the Bucks select him 15th overall and he is this phenom.

This year an Australian guard is going to go high in the 2014 draft called Dante Exum. So the game is going big time international and the draft is getting bigger and bigger.

All the best teams have to hit gold in the draft to help them make a contender.OKC got Ibaka late in the 1st round, the Spurs got Ginóbili with one of the last picks in the 2nd round.

The NBA draft is huge in determining which team has a bright future

I love the NBA draft just as much as the NHL. I can't get into the NFL draft as much because I don't watch college football.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

everything about the NBA sucks

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Fiala, no ****ing doubt. Stud. Future super-star.

Well, they're not selecting him at 5, so you can forget about that.

Also, I don't see him making it into the second round, and the day Snow trades up to select a player who played in Europe in his draft year will be the day Loic Leduc is playing in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad