2014 NHL Draft Discussion - Part IV ** Isles-Keep 5th Pick**

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Buffalo already has too much goaltending depth at the prospect level (Makarov/Hackett/Ullmark), its going to become an issue soon.

I was curious about this too. Who needs a top goaltending prospect ahead of us?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

If Demko makes it to the 2nd round I can't see all 4 teams ahead of us passing esspecially BUF and EDM.

McDonald has really grown on me and scouts seem to think the world of him.
I always liked Nedeljovic and think his style fits really well for the pros. So I'm really hopeing we draft one of those 3 and hopfully after a solid 3-4 years of Halak one of those guys would be ready to start playing pro(NHL) games.

One thing that I do like about McDonald is that he catches with his RH, a relative rarity amongst NHL goaltenders. Even something that small could help with shooters needing to adjust to him. Before anyone else mentions it, yes... DiPietro was also a RH glove goalie.

It's not out of the question that someone like McDonald (generally less heralded than Demko and Nedeljkovic) could fall to us at the end of the 2nd round. That would allow us to pick up another good forward prospect at #35. The more and more I'm researching into Eric Cornel, the more I like the kid.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
. The more and more I'm researching into Eric Cornel, the more I like the kid.

I like his size and mobility...

One thing I read about him was that he was a bit of a late bloomer so he could just really be coming on....

Also, I know he has a winger that you really like PW

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I like his size and mobility...

One thing I read about him was that he was a bit of a late bloomer so he could just really be coming on....

Also, I know he has a winger that you really like PW

Cornel was a high OHL draftee, I think 3rd overall. The kid is actually a natural center who flourished when moved to RW. He seemed overwhelmed in his OHL rookie season last year, he wasn't strong enough and his defensive game was not up to par. I love the physical tools and he is supposed to have good hockey sense.

If you watch the highlight vids, the kid has a very good shot and release. I'd be thrilled to get him in the 2nd.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Cornel was a high OHL draftee, I think 3rd overall. The kid is actually a natural center who flourished when moved to RW. He seemed overwhelmed in his OHL rookie season last year, he wasn't strong enough and his defensive game was not up to par. I love the physical tools and he is supposed to have good hockey sense.

If you watch the highlight vids, the kid has a very good shot and release. I'd be thrilled to get him in the 2nd.

No problem taking Cornell with pick 35 if you like him that much. Another option could be to trade up the Montreal pick for one of the goalies, would like to get quality in the first three picks with a goalie and two forwards. Get a real goalie prospect and fortify the depth at forward so this may fill needs too.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No problem taking Cornell with pick 35 if you like him that much. Another option could be to trade up the Montreal pick for one of the goalies, would like to get quality in the first three picks with a goalie and two forwards. Get a real goalie prospect and fortify the depth at forward so this may fill needs too.

I think this is real important. don't try to find a diamond in the rough in the later rounds and try to out smart everyone.

Grab one of the top 3 rated goalies in the 2nd.

I still think we get a real good foward at 5 so if we do the right thing we can really come out nice with our first 3 picks.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I think this is real important. don't try to find a diamond in the rough in the later rounds and try to out smart everyone.

Grab one of the top 3 rated goalies in the 2nd.

I still think we get a real good foward at 5 so if we do the right thing we can really come out nice with our first 3 picks.

I don't have the same sense of urgency that we must grab a goalie with our 2nd pick. Best player available always. We just acquired an above average goalie for a 4th round pick. Good goalies have been available every single season and seems to be the easiest position to fill. If Snow thinks McDonald, Demko, or whoever is the top rated prospect at #35, then take him, but I don't see the need to reach to fill a prospect need. Goalies are so hard to predict. The last time we forced some goalie picks because the cupboard was bare ended up being a complete waste of picks.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't have the same sense of urgency that we must grab a goalie with our 2nd pick. Best player available always. We just acquired an above average goalie for a 4th round pick. Good goalies have been available every single season and seems to be the easiest position to fill. If Snow thinks McDonald, Demko, or whoever is the top rated prospect at #35, then take him, but I don't see the need to reach to fill a prospect need. Goalies are so hard to predict. The last time we forced some goalie picks because the cupboard was bare ended up being a complete waste of picks.

Well yeah, that's because of bad luck (Poulin and Nilsson getting injured and not looking the same since) and bad drafting (Koskinen, whoever Garth drafted last year). My point is to just grab the consensus top goaltender now and then you don't have to worry about drafting another goaltender with a high pick for awhile.

Also, I'm a big fan of jumping back into the first round and getting the better quality player, instead of using the two picks and hoping that they work out.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Are they all in the same tier? I just figure it's better to get the consensus top guy and give him four years before replacing Halak.

Who says Halak will need to be replaced in 4 years ? He'll only be 33 then. Still could have a solid couple of years left in him as a starter.

That being said, Demko has been the top rated goalie all year, but McDonald won best goalie at the U18's I believe, and Nedljkovic is known as a VERY talented goalie, rated lower only because of his size, might be the fastest side to side and may have the best glove.

Last edited:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Who says Halak will need to be replaced in 4 years ? He'll only be 33 then. Still could have a solid couple of years left in him as a starter.

That being said, Demko has been the top rated goalie all year, but McDonald won best goalie at the U18's I believe, and Nedljkovic is known as a VERY talented goalie, rated lower only because of his size, might be the fastest side to side and may have the best glove.

We don't HAVE to replace him, but it's a nice plan IMO.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Price is a 27 year old elite goalie(top5) but that didn't stop MTL from drafting Fucale.

Look at what Quick is doing for LA. They still had Bernier and now still have Jones. You an never have enough goaltending. I hope by the end of Halaks contract he would have been successful enough that we extend him but the closet is empty as far as high quality goal tending prospects.

Hiller was and is still a Numer 1 but that didn't stop the ducks from grabing Gibson is the 2nd round a d that's looking like a great pick.

Picking a goalie High is not an indictment on our starter. It's just smart plan in for the future.

I agree with BPA and if there is a player thier that Snow and CO had as a first rounder and can't believe he dropped than by all means take him. But these top 3 goalies Imo are worthy of 2nd round picks.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Price is a 27 year old elite goalie(top5) but that didn't stop MTL from drafting Fucale.

Look at what Quick is doing for LA. They still had Bernier and now still have Jones. You an never have enough goaltending. I hope by the end of Halaks contract he would have been successful enough that we extend him but the closet is empty as far as high quality goal tending prospects.

Hiller was and is still a Numer 1 but that didn't stop the ducks from grabing Gibson is the 2nd round a d that's looking like a great pick.

Picking a goalie High is not an indictment on our starter. It's just smart plan in for the future.

I agree with BPA and if there is a player thier that Snow and CO had as a first rounder and can't believe he dropped than by all means take him. But these top 3 goalies Imo are worthy of 2nd round picks.

Excellent post, couldn't agree more. At #35, I'd very disappointed if we didn't get one of the top 3 goalies. That being said, I think I'll be disappointed. Snow probably thinks we are ok golaie prospect wise after taking two great goalie prospects last year (I kid).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Excellent post, couldn't agree more. At #35, I'd very disappointed if we didn't get one of the top 3 goalies. That being said, I think I'll be disappointed. Snow probably thinks we are ok golaie prospect wise after taking two great goalie prospects last year (I kid).

Thanks Scott. Your always disappointed at the draft. LoL just kiding.

You may be right. The only thing that gives me hope is all the comments Garth has made about having no goalies and only 1 signed.

If he does address it I just hope it's in the 2nd or 3rd round and is one of the top rated net minders.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Thanks Scott. Your always disappointed at the draft. LoL just kiding.

You may be right. The only thing that gives me hope is all the comments Garth has made about having no goalies and only 1 signed.

If he does address it I just hope it's in the 2nd or 3rd round and is one of the top rated net minders.

You're right my friend, I am always disappointed at the draft (usually), and unfortunately I'm usually right. The Snow regime has done a decent job overall as far as the draft, but when he misses, he misses big time. Overall, the Islanders have only drafted 2 home grown stars since 1991 (Tavares and Palffy) that have have made an impact and had some longevity on the team. That is some pretty awful drafting no matter who the GM was.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Excellent post as Scott said 90. Can't leave the goaltending barren behind Halak. If they draft one of the top goalies this year, they are going to play and develop unlike the scrubs from last year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You're right my friend, I am always disappointed at the draft (usually), and unfortunately I'm usually right. The Snow regime has done a decent job overall as far as the draft, but when he misses, he misses big time. Overall, the Islanders have only drafted 2 home grown stars since 1991 (Tavares and Palffy) that have have made an impact and had some longevity on the team. That is some pretty awful drafting no matter who the GM was.

Wow that's crazy when you actually see it written down. We did trade away a few drafted stars in Bertuzzi Chara and Loungo.

I would kill for a Ziggy on Johnny's wing.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

I would be inclined to throw in Rask and Subban in that conversation. I agree, you can never have to much goaltending. I don't want to hear whom we have drafted in the past. You let the best man win.

I would kill for Demko or Nedeljkovic (with a last name like that how could this kid be born in Ohio?) and I also have a spot for Weyrick. Weyrick is without a doubt a developmental net minder but I love the athletic ability.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

My thoughts on this year's goalie crop are that there's really not anyone who looks like another Jonathan Quick in the making. Possible, sure, but I just don't see it now.. Also, there's no-one that separates himself soooo much from the others, that it's worth moving assets to move UP from spot 35.

If Snow thinks he wants one of the top goaltending possibilities in this draft, he can get one at 35. Simple as that.

All this said, I don't think THIS year's situation will have any bearing on the goaltending question at the draft. It shouldn't. Nabby could be resigned. Poulin or Koskinen could be in the picture again. Maybe Snow has a number of other guys he'd like to add.

And for all we know though, the team may want a guy kid Vanecek or Johansson the most, knowing you could wait until at least Round 3 before taking them (although we know this team doesn't wait around to grab who they want). Wouldn't be the first time they went Euro in that department. Or maybe they like Moran or a kid like Reich, who only just arrived on the scene after the WJC?

I personally think there are gonna be a lot of interesting skaters available at spot 35. Boy, if you can pick up a Schmaltz, Scherbak, Goldobin, Larkin, Dougherty, Kempe, Pettersson, or Karlsson there, just to name a few, I just think it'd be hard to place a priority on a goalie, but that's just me talking.

BTW, for those who mentioned Milano in this thread - that kid has some skills. Really like his resiliency too and he rarely seems to get tired. He's got something. Like him much more than i.e. Tuch.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I personally think there are gonna be a lot of interesting skaters available at spot 35. Boy, if you can pick up a Schmaltz, Scherbak, Goldobin, Larkin, Dougherty, Kempe, Pettersson, or Karlsson there, just to name a few, I just think it'd be hard to place a priority on a goalie, but that's just me talking.

I am guessing a few of those guys might be left at 35, but I am almost positive Larkin will be gone by then.

In terms of realistic people at 35: Demko, Lemieux, MacInnis, Pollock, Scherbak, Goldobin

I have a feeling Ho Sang will drop big time and probably be there as well but I much rather pass.

scott99

May 13, 2005
My thoughts on this year's goalie crop are that there's really not anyone who looks like another Jonathan Quick in the making. Possible, sure, but I just don't see it now.. Also, there's no-one that separates himself soooo much from the others, that it's worth moving assets to move UP from spot 35.

If Snow thinks he wants one of the top goaltending possibilities in this draft, he can get one at 35. Simple as that.

All this said, I don't think THIS year's situation will have any bearing on the goaltending question at the draft. It shouldn't. Nabby could be resigned. Poulin or Koskinen could be in the picture again. Maybe Snow has a number of other guys he'd like to add.

And for all we know though, the team may want a guy kid Vanecek or Johansson the most, knowing you could wait until at least Round 3 before taking them (although we know this team doesn't wait around to grab who they want). Wouldn't be the first time they went Euro in that department. Or maybe they like Moran or a kid like Reich, who only just arrived on the scene after the WJC?

BTW, for those who mentioned Milano in this thread - that kid has some skills. Really like his resiliency too and he rarely seems to get tired. He's got something. Like him much more than i.e. Tuch.

We don't need to draft the next Johnathon Quick, most drafts don't have that caliber goalie available right away. They usually take a few years to become that. BUT, I'd say this is a pretty deep draft as far as goalies who COULD turn out to be quite good. Remember, Quick and a lot of other goalies didn't get drafted until after the first round. We don't need the next Luongo or Fleury (goalies picked in the first round thought to be franchise goalies). Since we have two 2nd round picks, I'd love to see us use #35 on a top goalie prospect. Let's get our Gibson or Subban. Hopefully Demko falls to #35 or if not, we jump on McDonald or Nedelkjovic at #35 and at least another one in round 3 or later.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
My thoughts on this year's goalie crop are that there's really not anyone who looks like another Jonathan Quick in the making. Possible, sure, but I just don't see it now..
In 2005, when he was picked in the third round, it wasn't known that Jonathan Quick was "Jonathan Quick in the making" so how would you expect to see that now, with the current crop? Keep in mind a handful of goalies were picked in front of Quick in 2005 including Rask, Pavelec, and Jeff Frazee.

In other words, we won't know for some years if anyone in the current crop is a Jonathan Quick in the making. It's a total crap shoot.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

What exactly were Snow's big time misses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad