2014-2015 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Guessing that he thought better of what he originally posted and deleted. I didn't think it was that bad, but I'm probably not a good judge of that :laugh:

It was about Knight's chances with his rumored me team
. I hope this deal goes down would love to see Boston get screwed big time.

i am not going to proclaim Knight a bust until I see him kill at least one penalty and on one power play

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=34853

all you need to know about Cassidy- ouch!!!!

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
the guy was downright mean. he has benched every player on the team at one point or another. read the post article. its says that hanlon was the go between for cassidy and the players. cassidy was not on speaking teams with most of the players. it was pretty bad.

All you need to know about Cassidy previous coaching job

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Takes a good deal to offend me so feel free to DM your response

I was kidding it wasn't bad I just couldn't finish it cause of work and went back later- I was killing Cassidy for being a lousy coach

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
With Knight situation coming to a head in the next 3 weeks I will be shifting my attention to Anthony Camera. I will be going all in on Camara shoddy treatment sooner rather than later.

.:handclap:

dan, what are your odds of knight being traded by march 2?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
dan, what are your odds of knight being traded by march 2?

he was a healthy scratch one game last weekend and another played 3 shifts for less than 2 minutes

Camara is getting the Knight treatment now while ECHL players, AHL cuts, and undrafteds play over these two.

Eleven years ago when Cassidy was fired I was still doing my 30+ Bruins games as one of 4000 season ticket holders and following the league. I remember thinking this guy may have been fired under the worst circumstances I have seen since I started following the game in the late 60's.

His players would literally not talk to him
. He was conducting his final practices in silence. He amazingly had to get assistant coaches to communicate with his players. I was playing fantasy hockey and guys like Bondra became useless because Cassidy put checkers on power plays and would bench stars for periods at a time.

It was an interesting story and not surprisingly he was out of hockey coaching for years.

I understand 90% of this board might still have been believing in Santa Claus in 2003 or was a good half dozen years from interested on Boston Bruins.

I get it.

But this was a train wreck. A bad guy to many young players and vets like Calle Johansson who is similar to Patrice Bergeron.

He went at it with young players like Brendan Witt and Kolzig.

He had a rep for killing confidence and mentally abusing players.

That is how I remember him and now I see this place loaded with hockey fans who's history started in 2008 or later. That's fine it has to start somewhere but they have no recollection of what arguably was the worst head coach in the NHL in the past 45 years. He's certainly on any top 10.

I asked my 40 and 50 year old friends if they could come up with any coach that was less respected publically by his players and treated reverred leaders more poorly. He was on every short list.

Knight and Camara have to take some blame but likely neither have been exposed to anything like this guy.

Knight may be traded there are teams, names I have heard but in the middle of Chiarelli and Sweeneys minds is the knowledge that Mike Collins with only a 10 game tryout has still logged more AHL penalty kill time than Knight. He's still an incomplete.

They may trade him they are just frustrated as hell.

And it's not just him and now Camara.

Bad move hiring him. He probably would be an excellent assistant but he showed in Washington he did not know how to build confidence and treat people respectfully

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
so puzzling/disappointing to read the opinions and thoughts from DKH about Cassidy and his handling of prospects in Providence

In a cap era, prospects development are paramount to success as we have all seen and to read some of the things he has pointed out is....well....angering

Not sure why the B`s brass allows this to continue unless they agree with Cassidy`s approach?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why are the bruins FO putting up with this guy isn't he job to get guys ready for the big club.

It would not surprise me if Pandolfo was brought in to spend the first year getting to know organization with director of minor league only to be promoted to Providence General Manager next season so Sweeney can focus on Boston while having someone in place he trusts and works well with

Kevin Dean the current assistant won both Calder and Stanley Cups with Pandolfo in New Jersey and both played under Julien, Dean has a great rep and is considered coaching material.

Cassidy would move on and Sweeney with Pandolfo would have more control over prospects on ice time and job description and have less BS to deal with

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
so puzzling/disappointing to read the opinions and thoughts from DKH about Cassidy and his handling of prospects in Providence

In a cap era, prospects development are paramount to success as we have all seen and to read some of the things he has pointed out is....well....angering

Not sure why the B`s brass allows this to continue unless they agree with Cassidy`s approach?

Remember I was a Bruins season ticket holder- one of the few back in 2002 who cared about Boston and the NHL. I knew all about Cassidy's troubles with young players (I was on HF and you can still find the Cassidy hate on the Caps board).

They got Ovechkin because of Cassidy's team melting down. He was pretty much out of hockey for years until he took over as an assistant coach in Providence to rehab his career.

Maybe I'm guilty of paying to much to history but I followed those Caps back then pretty well and knew this guy killed half my fantasy team by benching star players :laugh: btw the second he was out the door Bondra and others took off statistically not surprising

Probably a great assistant but head coach horrible

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
When has he had the opportunity, and who commented on it?

Last year, playing a regular shift on the 3rd line, he had 12 pts in the 1st 15 games I believe...before inexplicably getting his TOI cut and demoted to the 4th line.

Please explain that to me logically.

Bill Ladd, as far as I remember, had Knight on the 3rd line because of the depth in PRO, not because he was a lemon, or sucked.

For the thousandth time, this isn't just about Knight, it's about a philosophy/approach to development. You don't draft ANYBODY 32nd overall and never even give them a chance at Top 6 minutes or special teams, while giving that opportunity to street FA's and PTO's who have ZERO ties to the franchise.

Makes no sense.

Over the years he did have multiple opportunity's and simply didn't make the best of it. According to multiples posters.
Who are those posters? we are reading the same board and info.

Inexplicably might be a strong word, everything as an explanation... I also read that Knight development is a very long process, According to Bruins FO.
They tried to minimize it by saying he practically miss the first season.

So to me that tell me Knight his a little slow to grasp game plan and what the coaching staff expects from him.

This info is available to everyone, I don't know why people just ignore it and run with the " Cassidy his a monster and eats our baby's " :laugh:

Bill's comment's was before Knight started is AHL career. Wonder what would be Bill's take on Knight now...
He also did not share the opinion with Knight's cult preaching that he was ready for a top 9 spot with the Bruins, Nor a spot on the top 6 in Provi.

I do recall top heads of said cult trying to ridiculed Bill Ladd's comment's by saying that will never happen in this reality.
A few years later we can say Bill was 100% accurate.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Over the years he did have multiple opportunity's and simply didn't make the best of it. According to multiples posters.
Who are those posters? we are reading the same board and info.

Inexplicably might be a strong word, everything as an explanation... I also read that Knight development is a very long process, According to Bruins FO.
They tried to minimize it by saying he practically miss the first season.

So to me that tell me Knight his a little slow to grasp game plan and what the coaching staff expects from him.

This info is available to everyone, I don't know why people just ignore it and run with the " Cassidy his a monster and eats our baby's " :laugh:

Bill's comment's was before Knight started is AHL career. Wonder what would be Bill's take on Knight now...
He also did not share the opinion with Knight's cult preaching that he was ready for a top 9 spot with the Bruins, Nor a spot on the top 6 in Provi.

I do recall top heads of said cult trying to ridiculed Bill Ladd's comment's by saying that will never happen in this reality.
A few years later we can say Bill was 100% accurate.

:laugh:

So, in other words, you don't know.

To be blunt, you have zero idea of what you are talking about regarding Knight and his "multiple opportunities". Opportunities where? No Top 6 time, not even consistent Top 9 time where he regularly got 10-12 minutes on the ice. No PP time, and one or two chances on the PK and in the SO....

OVER ALMOST THREE YEARS.

It would be one thing if PRO was overrun with quality prospects, but we are talking about ECHL, street FA's and PTO guys getting opportunities before Knight (and other prospects drafted by the B's). This doesn't strike you as the least bid odd? This would be so much easier if the AHL published players' TOI and people could see how little an "opportunity" Knight has actually gotten.

As far as the second part, not sure what "info" you are referring to because everything you are saying is not fact, and is just as much speculation as my theory.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
What has Knight done to earn his opportunity aside from being a high draft pick?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What has Knight done to earn his opportunity aside from being a high draft pick?

At some point, these kids have zero track record and there needs to be a leap of faith. Like it or not, "being a high draft pick" should at least get you invited to the party. After some injury issues his rookie year, he has never gotten that invite, and it's not character related or due to a lack of work ethic on/off the ice.

What did Kane, Collins, Cherniwchan, Asuchak, Stuart and others do to "earn their opportunities"? These guys are all PTO's or street FA's that were signed and immediately got more ice time and chances on special teams before a guy that was already there. Some of these guys literally walked off campus, put on uniforms, and were given more of an opportunity than Knight.

They have since moved on, so they obviously were not lighting it up. Then why reward them over a guy that has been on the team and busts his ass in practice and off ice? I would love a logical explanation. If Knight sucks that bad, they should have just dealt him or cut him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

What has koko done?

Dude you disappoint me I thought you were smarter than this comment

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nick Johnson is a +21 for Vaxjo in the SEL. I apologize to Cassidy, he clearly made him a better player.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
For those in the know. Any chance some of our top prospects (ie Knight) are not meeting the core Boston expected on/off ice values expected of players entering the Boston system hence the reduced ice time.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
For those in the know. Any chance some of our top prospects (ie Knight) are not meeting the core Boston expected on/off ice values expected of players entering the Boston system hence the reduced ice time.

I'm sure there are things they want all kids to work on, but by most accounts Knights strengths are (were) pretty much exactly what the Bruins should want.

Whether he hasn't gotten the opportunity or hasn't shown enough to earn one, has been hampered by injury or quite frankly just isn't talented enough to make it as a pro are all distinct possibilities.

Spooner, reading between the lines seems to have had a hard time excelling at the things they want him to work at (as opposed to say Pastrnak, who has received a tonne of praise). I've read some promising things in regards to Koko developing and working on the areas they want him to get better.

Knight's an interesting case but I'm of the opinion, whether Cassidy wants him dead or not, he hasn't impressed enough in the opportunities he has been given to really be overly concerned about it. He's in his 3rd pro season (1 drastically injury shortened) and isn't performing. I don't care if he's skating with a bucket and a mop as his linemates, there is some responsibility on the kid to live up to his billing moreso than there is the coach to hand him ice time. Camara by most accounts was a bit of a stretch pick anyways, and several well respected posters have expressed doubts about his abilities as a pro. Spooner, Koko, Pasta, Morrow, Krug, etc none of those guys scream "Bruin", but have been given plenty of ice and time for development.

Cassidy may very well hate the kid, which is ridiculously childish if true, but that shouldn't stop Knight from letting his play do the talking and earning more opportunities.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I'm sure there are things they want all kids to work on, but by most accounts Knights strengths are (were) pretty much exactly what the Bruins should want.

Whether he hasn't gotten the opportunity or hasn't shown enough to earn one, has been hampered by injury or quite frankly just isn't talented enough to make it as a pro are all distinct possibilities.

Spooner, reading between the lines seems to have had a hard time excelling at the things they want him to work at (as opposed to say Pastrnak, who has received a tonne of praise). I've read some promising things in regards to Koko developing and working on the areas they want him to get better.

Knight's an interesting case but I'm of the opinion, whether Cassidy wants him dead or not, he hasn't impressed enough in the opportunities he has been given to really be overly concerned about it. He's in his 3rd pro season (1 drastically injury shortened) and isn't performing. I don't care if he's skating with a bucket and a mop as his linemates, there is some responsibility on the kid to live up to his billing moreso than there is the coach to hand him ice time. Camara by most accounts was a bit of a stretch pick anyways, and several well respected posters have expressed doubts about his abilities as a pro. Spooner, Koko, Pasta, Morrow, Krug, etc none of those guys scream "Bruin", but have been given plenty of ice and time for development.

Cassidy may very well hate the kid, which is ridiculously childish if true, but that shouldn't stop Knight from letting his play do the talking and earning more opportunities.

Thanks DA. I'm wondering if there's a Seguinish character flaw that could be hampering a Knight or Spooner? Pasta is a fantastic example of a player who get's the on / off ice philosophy preached by the bruins (Cassidy).

There's only so much appreciation of the ins & outs of player development us fans will be privy to (including fans with some connections). As an outside observer much of what we've read has been speculative. I truly respect the inside knowledge of fans including the historical Cassidy coaching concerns however at this time I still question the Cassidy anxiety. If all this information regarding Cassidy is hampering player development is true, like you, I see this as childish and should be the cause of a Cassidy immediate termination. More importantly there should be no way a contract extension should have transpired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad