2014-2015 Providence Bruins All-Purpose Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
If your so happy with the ECHL guys, maybe they can help the Bruins get out of their slump. Bring them up. :shakehead They should probably not even draft anyone this summer, just fillin rosters with ECHL guys. What's the point, they don't develop any of their own.

Boychuk, McQuaid, Miller, Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Cunnigham, are some recents, Rask, Sveddy, :help: That's almost 50% of the bruin current roster.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
If your so happy with the ECHL guys, maybe they can help the Bruins get out of their slump. Bring them up. :shakehead They should probably not even draft anyone this summer, just fillin rosters with ECHL guys. What's the point, they don't develop any of their own.

That wasn't the point. It was a response to someone complaining about negativity while posting negative posts lol. You come to this thread and all you see is how everyone is conspiring against knight. Calling echlers scrubs & worthless, throwing out names at Cassidy, chia and the rest of the bruin org. to further your point. It gets tiresome after a while. Negativity breeds negativity. Anyways, by your thinking they should still be developing Hamill because he was a 1st rounder. Some guys just don't get it. Looks like knight might be one of them.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
That wasn't the point. It was a response to someone complaining about negativity while posting negative posts lol. You come to this thread and all you see is how everyone is conspiring against knight. Calling echlers scrubs & worthless, throwing out names at Cassidy, chia and the rest of the bruin org. to further your point. It gets tiresome after a while. Negativity breeds negativity

The Negative Nelly HFBoard.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Boychuk, McQuaid, Miller, Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Cunnigham, are some recents, Rask, Sveddy, :help: That's almost 50% of the bruin current roster.

Some of those players werent here when Cassidy was, and some of those players were not developed by this current GM or Coach.

Svedberg and Cunningham are the only two from the current coach. Pasta is an enigma and one special player.

The lack of development by our staff with the current group of prospects is troublesome. Draft wise too.

Again. A quick research of Cassidys time down in Washington would tell you all you need to know about him as a person and a coach. But by all means watch a roster that filled with mostly echlers and kids not drafted by us get the majority of the playing development time. :laugh:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Some of those players werent here when Cassidy was, and some of those players were not developed by this current GM or Coach.

Svedberg and Cunningham are the only two from the current coach. Pasta is an enigma and one special player.

The lack of development by our staff with the current group of prospects is troublesome. Draft wise too.

Again. A quick research of Cassidys time down in Washington would tell you all you need to know about him as a person and a coach. But by all means watch a roster that filled with mostly echlers and kids not drafted by us get the majority of the playing development time. :laugh:

Perhaps we just aren't deep as deep in the forward corps as we would like to be. Pasta is a player that absorbed what was requested and expected of him.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Pasta has exceeded our expectations. I don't think anyone expected him to be this good so fast. He's is honestly pure luck. We got lucky.

But if we're looking at the current group of draftees with the current gm and coach, its pretty bad. I can see why Gretzsky was brought in. We had no luck lately. All of our current B's that played in Prov or came right up didnt have our current guys. So to say they made it and why shouldn't the ones we have now be the same is moot. Its like saying our team won the cup in 2011 and thinking this current team is still the best. We're not. And its been a long time since we've developed a prospect properly and had them ready to go. Marchand started on the 4th line. Had a slump but managed to work his way through. He wasnt drafted by Chia, nor did he have Cassidy developing him.

I'd be concerned about our high picks not making it on our team. Not being developed properly is a huge problem. Look how quickly Camara has fallen. It was only a few years ago people were dreaming of his killer hits on the Habs. Where is he now? On the bench with Knight, collecting dust.

Fustrating times.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Pasta has exceeded our expectations. I don't think anyone expected him to be this good so fast. He's is honestly pure luck. We got lucky.

But if we're looking at the current group of draftees with the current gm and coach, its pretty bad. I can see why Gretzsky was brought in. We had no luck lately. All of our current B's that played in Prov or came right up didnt have our current guys. So to say they made it and why shouldn't the ones we have now be the same is moot. Its like saying our team won the cup in 2011 and thinking this current team is still the best. We're not. And its been a long time since we've developed a prospect properly and had them ready to go. Marchand started on the 4th line. Had a slump but managed to work his way through. He wasnt drafted by Chia, nor did he have Cassidy developing him.

I'd be concerned about our high picks not making it on our team. Not being developed properly is a huge problem. Look how quickly Camara has fallen. It was only a few years ago people were dreaming of his killer hits on the Habs. Where is he now? On the bench with Knight, collecting dust.

Fustrating times.

Other than Pasta, Koko, Spooner, maybe a Griffith/Ferlin the remaining AHLr's aren't all that intriguing and I consider them a dime/dozen types. I find most of us are stressing way too much over the Knights/Camara's of the world. They can be had via trade or free agency (or EHL). If we were talking about Pasta or a young Krejci, I would be worried.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Other than Pasta, Koko, Spooner, maybe a Griffith/Ferlin the remaining AHLr's aren't all that intriguing and I consider them a dime/dozen types. I find most of us are stressing way too much over the Knights/Camara's of the world. They can be had via trade or free agency (or EHL). If we were talking about Pasta or a young Krejci, I would be worried.

Cassidy obviously agrees with you.

It is really curious though to see two kids come in and immediately lose their greatest strengths as players. Knight came in with a killer shot and work ethic and now he's a player who doesn't shoot and who sees the bench because he's not working enough to be out there.

Hardly a new take, but around and around it goes.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Boychuk: was a 2nd round pick by COL, and was around for awhile in the AHL before coming to PRO. One of the issues with him was that COL had tried him at F too, think it messed him up. He was with PRO one season and Before Cassidy (BC)...Fail.

Bergeron: was already an NHL player and was only in the AHL because of the lockout. Also BC...Fail.

Marchand: BC...Fail.

Krejci: BC...Fail.

McQuaid: BC...Fail.

Rask: Goalie, also BC...Fail.

Svedberg: Had already played three seasons as a pro in the SHL before the B's assigned him. I would be pretty surprised if Cassidy spent any time with the goalies, and if credit is due, look to Bob Essensa, the B's goalie coach...Fail.

That leaves Miller, Cunningham, Pasta.

Miller: Free Agent, signed the year BC, but has definitely developed under him...Pass.

CC: His first year was Cassidy's first, and he is certainly one of his guys, scoring 70 goals over the last three AHL seasons. Curiously, this past summer, Cassidy threw CC under the bus at Dev Camp when talking to reporters.

From Haggs:

Interesting comments from Providence Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy after Saturday’s session. In essence he believes that Craig Cunningham is behind a number of other Bruins – including Ryan Spooner, Alex Khokhlachev, Justin Florek and Matt Fraser – on the depth chart when it comes to challenging for spots on the NHL club.

So, Cassidy basically said that the only guy from PRO who has made Boston was "behind" guys that are either still there or are no longer with the organization (waived). Interesting, maybe that's why sometimes it's better to just say nothing?...Pass, I guess?

Pasta: 1st round pick, had already played a year of pro hockey in Sweden. Was with PRO for only 24 games, so depending on how you feel about the coach, this one could go either way...Pass/Fail.

Wow.

What an incredibly short-sighted way to feel about prospects in general. I mean, why would I be overly worried or stressed about the organization I root for developing guys they took in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...crazy.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Boychuk: was a 2nd round pick by COL, and was around for awhile in the AHL before coming to PRO. One of the issues with him was that COL had tried him at F too, think it messed him up. He was with PRO one season and Before Cassidy (BC)...Fail.

Bergeron: was already an NHL player and was only in the AHL because of the lockout. Also BC...Fail.

Svedberg: Had already played three seasons as a pro in the SHL before the B's assigned him. I would be pretty surprised if Cassidy spent any time with the goalies, and if credit is due, look to Bob Essensa, the B's goalie coach...Fail.

Miller: Free Agent, signed the year BC, but has definitely developed under him...Pass.

CC: His first year was Cassidy's first, and he is certainly one of his guys, scoring 70 goals over the last three AHL seasons. Curiously, this past summer, Cassidy threw CC under the bus at Dev Camp when talking to reporters.

From Haggs:

Interesting comments from Providence Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy after Saturday’s session. In essence he believes that Craig Cunningham is behind a number of other Bruins – including Ryan Spooner, Alex Khokhlachev, Justin Florek and Matt Fraser – on the depth chart when it comes to challenging for spots on the NHL club.

So, Cassidy basically said that the only guy from PRO who has made Boston was "behind" guys that are either still there or are no longer with the organization (waived). Interesting, maybe that's why sometimes it's better to just say nothing?...Pass, I guess?

Pasta: 1st round pick, had already played a year of pro hockey in Sweden. Was with PRO for only 24 games, so depending on how you feel about the coach, this one could go either way...Pass/Fail.

Wow.

What an incredibly short-sighted way to feel about prospects in general. I mean, why would I be overly worried or stressed about the organization I root for developing guys they took in the 2nd or 3rd rounds...crazy.

Cassidy was an assistant coach since 2008-09 with Providence. Hard to say who gets credit for developing players and who does what with Providence, but the fact is Rask, Marchand, Boychuk, McQuaid, Sobotka, Svedberg, Miller, and Cunningham, have played at least a season with him as a member of the coaching staff.

How much credit does he deserve? Probably more than 0% and less than 100%

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cassidy was an assistant coach since 2008-09 with Providence. Hard to say who gets credit for developing players and who does what with Providence, but the fact is Rask, Marchand, Boychuk, McQuaid, Sobotka, Svedberg, Miller, and Cunningham, have played at least a season with him as a member of the coaching staff.

How much credit does he deserve? Probably more than 0% and less than 100%

I give Cassidy (and Dean) full credit for the work they have done with the D-men that have come out of PRO. The poster I quoted didn't even say anything about Krug or Bart, who both developed under Cassidy.

It's well known how much I liked Sobotka, but he couldn't even play the 4th line for Clode, so I'm not sure how well prepped he was under Cassidy and Murray? While I think the guys in PRO have done a fine job prepping d-men to step in, not so thrilled with their work with the F's.

PRO with a 2-1 win this afternoon over MAN.

Eminger (from Werek and Youds) and Flick from (Cheech and Knight) were the PRO goal scorers. The PB's now in 7th by a slim margin, but the 8th and 9th place teams have games in hand.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

From Haggs:

Wow.

Krug. Pass

I say this a lot. The bruins don't see development as the problem. They see or saw drafting as the problem. They fired their director of scouting because none of his picks were turning out the way they wanted. The organization from the top down decided it was the players picked not the system, they sided with cassidy and the way he brings a long young guys. They have faith in him, they trust him, he is on the same page with them. The prospects that aren't playing? The bruins think they should have been passed on to begin with so they don't care. They think those players aren't good and in hindsight didn't merit highish picks. The fact the pbruins are in the playoffs right now with all the major roster shuffling all season is a huge testament to how cassidy has improved as a coach since his time with Washington 15 years ago..crazy someone can get better at a job with 15 more years experience, I know, but it seems that's the case

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

From Haggs:

Wow.

Short-sighted or simply realistic? No doubt I want to see all of our prospects succeed, however, that's an unrealistic expectation. We are fortunate to have developed some good talent on the bruins/playing elsewhere....however, unlike some, I don't see the need to worry so much about 4th line players...I worry most for the high-end prospects targeted for 1st/2nd line duty. I see nothing crazy about that, simply my opinion. It's been proven over and over 3rd and 4th liners can easily be had / retained (i.e. Paille, Kelly, Campbell).

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Short-sighted or simply realistic? No doubt I want to see all of our prospects succeed, however, that's an unrealistic expectation. We are fortunate to have developed some good talent on the bruins/playing elsewhere....however, unlike some, I don't see the need to worry so much about 4th line players...I worry most for the high-end prospects targeted for 1st/2nd line duty. I see nothing crazy about that, simply my opinion. It's been proven over and over 3rd and 4th liners can easily be had / retained (i.e. Paille, Kelly, Campbell).

Marchand started as a 4th liner. Would the team have won a Cup without him making it there to start and working his way up. I sweat every missed opportunity by the B's to develop a player because you never know what they could become.

Roussel and Hutchinson come to mind as recent examples of prospects that were considered JAG's by most. I wouldn't have mind having both in the lineup right now.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
ProBs pull out a win vs Manchester, Kings first place team, 2-1. Smith got the win, but Paul Kenny deserves a lot of credit for giving Smitty the confidence to persevere. :)

Knight has played in TWO consecutive games. Cassidy must be warming to him.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
ProBs pull out a win vs Manchester, Kings first place team, 2-1. Smith got the win, but Paul Kenny deserves a lot of credit for giving Smitty the confidence to persevere. :)

Knight has played in TWO consecutive games. Cassidy must be warming to him.

:handclap: playing well past 10 games. Morrow back soon. All good.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Marchand started as a 4th liner. Would the team have won a Cup without him making it there to start and working his way up. I sweat every missed opportunity by the B's to develop a player because you never know what they could become.

Roussel and Hutchinson come to mind as recent examples of prospects that were considered JAG's by most. I wouldn't have mind having both in the lineup right now.

Marchand did start on fourth line and moved up quickly (always pegged him 2nd line material never lower before/during AHL) . Worked hard and succeeded. Bruins then filled fourth line with Campbell / Thornton / Paille all via trades/off season signings. Easy finds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad