2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
What concerns me about Scout #3 is what he is implying by his list. Don't get me wrong, Hudon has been lights out in his rookie season, but for some reason I don't see him as a top 3 player, maybe a weak top 6, so what is that implying for Mac and Tinordi? Mac a 4th line no pointer? Tinordi a perpetual 6-7? For Mac and Tinordi to be meaningful players, if scout #3 is right, Hudon would have to end up as a very good top 6 in the NHL. I hope this is what he is projecting, and this what comes to pass.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
What concerns me about Scout #3 is what he is implying by his list. Don't get me wrong, Hudon has been lights out in his rookie season, but for some reason I don't see him as a top 3 player, maybe a weak top 6, so what is that implying for Mac and Tinordi? Mac a 4th line no pointer? Tinordi a perpetual 6-7? For Mac and Tinordi to be meaningful players, if scout #3 is right, Hudon would have to end up as a very good top 6 in the NHL. I hope this is what he is projecting, and this what comes to pass.

Or maybe its as simple as him implying that Hudon is a good prospect.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

well when you take out DLR because he's in the NHL, it's not as bad imo. But at the same time the Habs system isn't that great to start with outside of a couple guys like Scherbak, McCarron and Hudon. Tinordi looks like a bottom pairing D to me and has for some time, granted maybe he will improve his puck handling to a degree that I don't expect, which would help him greatly. I always wanted him to have more of mean streak, maybe with more confidence he will get there and that should help his game as well.

As for Hudon, I've been a big fan since we drafted him although I have concerns about the injuries, he's got smarts and grit to go with his skill. We'll have to see how his game translates at the next level, I think he can be a solid NHL because of his two way game, the fact that he has the smarts that you can't teach, he's got a good bit of skill and he's willing to get his nose dirty at least to a solid degree for an undersized player.

McCarron is really hard to project just what he will be, I have little doubt he plays in the NHL at some point but not really sure where he will end up as you just don't see many kids his size. He does have skill but will it be enough to be a top 6 forward? I don't know, but his size/physical presence/grit could be enough to make up for it even if he can't be counted on to chip in say 15+ goals, 40+ points a year. The mere fact of creating space for our smaller skilled forwards, going to the net hard, sticking up for his teammates, crashing and banging consistently. All these things we need in spades but have lacked for some time. So when it comes to scouts, you can see why some are just not sure what the Habs have in McCarron as he seems behind in his development as he was raw at the time he was drafted imo.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Having great young prospects with attitudes, work ethics and talent like these (McCarron, Tinordi, JDLR, Hudon, etc.) certainly can erase the memory of the bad apple(Nygren). The characters of these players is 1st class all the way, gives Habs fans lots to look forward to in the near future, I, like all Hab fans can appreciate the pleasant nature and sincere friendliness of our young players. Like Price, the Habs are truly represented by these great young men, the practice of the Habs since Bergevin took the reins, character being a priority in selecting our prospects, is and should always be maintained, after the "Nygren Episode" soap opera he has created around himself!:shakehead

So much nicer reading about the hard work and positive results of the majority of our young draftees. McCarron's play in last night's playoff game Pro like, really is comforting to know the Habs future is bright indeed. McCarron reminds me of the play of a mix of a young John Leclair and Mike MacPhee, a very good combination of both offensive/defensive player, the type that fits nicely with the team Bergevin is building for Us!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
well when you take out DLR because he's in the NHL, it's not as bad imo. But at the same time the Habs system isn't that great to start with outside of a couple guys like Scherbak, McCarron and Hudon. Tinordi looks like a bottom pairing D to me and has for some time, granted maybe he will improve his puck handling to a degree that I don't expect, which would help him greatly. I always wanted him to have more of mean streak, maybe with more confidence he will get there and that should help his game as well.

As for Hudon, I've been a big fan since we drafted him although I have concerns about the injuries, he's got smarts and grit to go with his skill. We'll have to see how his game translates at the next level, I think he can be a solid NHL because of his two way game, the fact that he has the smarts that you can't teach, he's got a good bit of skill and he's willing to get his nose dirty at least to a solid degree for an undersized player.

McCarron is really hard to project just what he will be, I have little doubt he plays in the NHL at some point but not really sure where he will end up as you just don't see many kids his size. He does have skill but will it be enough to be a top 6 forward? I don't know, but his size/physical presence/grit could be enough to make up for it even if he can't be counted on to chip in say 15+ goals, 40+ points a year. The mere fact of creating space for our smaller skilled forwards, going to the net hard, sticking up for his teammates, crashing and banging consistently. All these things we need in spades but have lacked for some time. So when it comes to scouts, you can see why some are just not sure what the Habs have in McCarron as he seems behind in his development as he was raw at the time he was drafted imo.

Thanks for your response.

I'm still hoping that Tinordi takes a huge stride sometime in the very near future. I believe that he should be able to do it physically, but that there seems to be something wrong between the ears. That can change pretty quickly, and I really hope it happens. I'd love to see him as part of a solid bottom 4. People say Emelin clears the crease, but a confident Tinordi with some edge ought to do way more.

Hopefully something gels, and something gels soon.

Probably the best remedy would be the Dogs getting in to the playoffs, and Tinordi taking a leadership role in a decent to long run. I think many players on the team really need some playoffs, and at least one round of winning, if not more.

Here is hoping for the best. :D

Or maybe its as simple as him implying that Hudon is a good prospect.

I hope that that is true ... and by a good prospect I mean future solid top 6. He is a bit small, and we are moving away from small, but if he makes the leap, and is a dominant 2nd liner, then I think we will all be ecstatic. However, I'm not holding my breath ... time will tell.

Silvertips beat the Chiefs 5-1. Down 0-1 at the start of the third, the Tips pulled off the victory. It was a spirited affair with a combined 156 minutes in penalties. Scherbak, and no points on the night, received a 10 minute misconduct. Anyone know more on that? Only saw the "highlights", not the game ... would love to hear about Scherbak's performance from someone who saw the game.

Story with goals video:

http://www.everettsilvertips.com/article/stadnyk-hat-trick-leads-everett-to-game-1-win

Last edited by a moderator:

Analyzer*

Silvertips beat the Chiefs 5-1. Down 0-1 at the start of the third, the Tips pulled off the victory. It was a spirited affair with a combined 156 minutes in penalties. Scherbak, and no points on the night, received a 10 minute misconduct. Anyone know more on that? Only saw the "highlights", not the game ... would love to hear about Scherbak's performance from someone who saw the game.

Story with goals video:

http://www.everettsilvertips.com/article/stadnyk-hat-trick-leads-everett-to-game-1-win

Judging on the boxscore summary, he was likely causing crap, or continued to cause crap.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I'm still hoping that Tinordi takes a huge stride sometime in the very near future. I believe that he should be able to do it physically, but that there seems to be something wrong between the ears. That can change pretty quickly, and I really hope it happens. I'd love to see him as part of a solid bottom 4. People say Emelin clears the crease, but a confident Tinordi with some edge ought to do way more.

Probably the best remedy would be the Dogs getting in to the playoffs, and Tinordi taking a leadership role in a decent to long run. I think many players on the team really need some playoffs, and at least one round of winning, if not more.

Here is hoping for the best. :D

A few things here about Tinordi, his draft year he grew from about 6'2 - 6'6 and gained major weight. Going from American HS play to the USHL a definite step down from any CHL team + playing in half the amount of games against weaker competition. So his initial OHL season(Already drafted) was like being a rookie instead of a seasoned CHLer with huge growing pains. As is huge Defencemen usually take longer to develop, but faced with these types of setbacks, getting used to playing double the amount of games against players that were already in shape for the long seasons. His 1st season & McCarrons(PWFs take 3-4yrs also minimum) were both alike in these regards, their talent though is undeniable. The 2nd season under the Hunter's coaching showed an immense difference, as they were now in good shape for the long seasons, had experience in the OHL(With the best prospects worldwide, & best Junior league, were becoming used to the growth changes, reactions and so forth catching up. So in reality their 2nd season would be comparable to where the OHLers were in their draft yrs.

Which to my way of looking at their situation is they had lost two seasons in pivotal learning yrs. for CHLers that start at 16yrs. They were starting at 19yrs., had already been drafted, facing huge pressure & expectations that comes with 1st round picks. Both players in their 19yrs. old seasons excelled and were now at the level most CHLers were at 17yrs. old. So when noting Tinordi was drafted in 2010 and basically lost two yrs. of development being from the USHS, then one should really be expecting his 3-4 yrs. development should have started at 19/20 yrs. old. Meaning the earliest he should have been expected to be making the jump to the NHL would be 23/24 yrs. old, he's now 23 as of the 20th of Feb.2015. Really he's ahead of schedule in his development, all things being made equal considering the setbacks Tinordi should be looked at as a 21 yr. old in experience, which makes him look great at the stage he's at now. The same thing applies to McCarron's growth, so people should be ecstatic with their progress, and truly expect quite a bit more from these two players as they continue catching up to their CHLers experience level.

I hope that that is true ... and by a good prospect I mean future solid top 6. He is a bit small, and we are moving away from small, but if he makes the leap, and is a dominant 2nd liner, then I think we will all be ecstatic. However, I'm not holding my breath ... time will tell.

Hudon whose time in the QMJHL was marred with concussion issues (which dropped his value to the point the Habs drafted a prospect that starred for Team Canada in the 5th round), even so he was a real bright spot in his time with Team Canada. It now appears after two seasons with concussion issues (Both times making Team Canada, who deemed his value high enough to save a spot in their lineup, in case he was healthy) that Hudon has now been concussion free for two yrs., and his play is on a par with what one would expect from a good prospect of importance to Team Canada. So no real shock for this poster having watched his play avidly at the WJHC's and the QMJHL/AHL, in truth I expect that he will be an excellent PK and 3rd liner, with the upside of being a very competent 2nd line forward for the Habs, IMHO.

I'm a homer but I do rationalize my reasoning for these high expectations, knowing the differences between leagues, positions and size/growth issues. Which leaves me believing my expectations aren't out of line but actually right on target for these players. I'm excited at their potentials in the NHL for my Habs in the near future now, after watching patiently for these gems that Timmins found for us(the fans) and the Habs. Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I hope that that is true ... and by a good prospect I mean future solid top 6. He is a bit small, and we are moving away from small, but if he makes the leap, and is a dominant 2nd liner, then I think we will all be ecstatic. However, I'm not holding my breath ... time will tell

Tinordi certainly needs to get his confidence going as he's been inconsistent in the AHL, will be good and you think to yourself if he can play like this in the NHL he's going to be a force but then he will disappear and you start to wonder which is the real Tinordi? For me I'd like to see him improve his lower body strength, get more of a mean streak and he's got to find a way to handle the puck at least somewhat better.

The off-season will be interesting, if Emelin is moved to say make room to re-sign Petry, then that bodes well for Tinordi as we can't lose Emelin's physical game and not replace it. But he's got to be paired with someone that can handle the puck well. Putting Beaulieu with Gonchar worked out so well but going to be hard to strike lighting twice.

As for Hudon, I don't think he has to be a top 6 forward as he is solid in his own end so I could see him ending up a good top 9 forward although I'm not sold on him at center over wing in the NHL down the road. (not saying next year or the year after) The good news is the back injury he had hasn't hampered him so far, really looking forward to seeing what he can do in the NHL in the future.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
CBNe1MWVIAAjW5S.jpg

Sullivan center? Am I drunk?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
flipping back and forth, Sullivan is indeed playing up front and he's had a couple hits.

watched Denver today, wasn't the greatest game for Didier but I thought he got better as it went on. He wasn't as physical as he usually is but still played solid in his own end although after making a good play along the boards in his own end he fell down and turned the puck over, that could have been ugly.

Denver plays tomorrow against Providence (the team Hayden Hawkey will play for next year), if they win they advance to the Final Fours. If not their season is over which means Didier's NCAA career will be over. I think he gets signed by the Habs, but I also wonder if management will look at some of his teammates that are undrafted FA's. Trevor Moore, Daniel Doremus, are the two I would look at. Nolan Zajac had a good year as well.

I know MacMillan is not playing but North Dakota is looking good, if they hold on they will advance to the Final Fours.

Watched a bit of Colin Sullivan, was surprised to see him in the lineup since he only appeared in 1 playoff game but thought he looked ok even though they were using him at forward. Not sure if he will take a medical redshirt or not, as far as I know he's eligible. He's got size and skating, a extra year in the NCAA wouldn't be bad as he's at a top program. Either way he'll be back there next year but if he were to red shirt he would get 2 more years.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yeah, too bad about the injury to MacMillan. I would have liked to have seen him play.

Good luck to Didier then. I'm sure the Habs will sign him after his season is over.

Didier has had a solid, quiet NCAA career. I believe he is the Captain of his team. I agree that he gets signed. Reminds me of Pateryn. Big, RH Dman whose focus is more defensive.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didier has had a solid, quiet NCAA career. I believe he is the Captain of his team. I agree that he gets signed. Reminds me of Pateryn. Big, RH Dman whose focus is more defensive.

Didier wears the A. He moves better then Pateryn and is better in his own end but has shown almost zero offensive upside.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Didier wears the A. He moves better then Pateryn and is better in his own end but has shown almost zero offensive upside.

Have always been a fan of his. Seems to have a bit more mean streak in terms of clearing the net than any other guys in our system. Doesn't hurt to have a solid #5-6 shutdown D prospect with size.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
So Sullivan is playing 4th line centre while he gets back in shape from his injury as the other D is set? That would be my guess. Would be funny if he starts to light it up as a centre!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Have always been a fan of his. Seems to have a bit more mean streak in terms of clearing the net than any other guys in our system. Doesn't hurt to have a solid #5-6 shutdown D prospect with size.

agreed, he's got a good physical game and shot blocking. He's big but moves really well.

CHL playoffs, Drakkar is off to a good start, up 2-0 already but Lernout's team is down 2-0. If his team gets bounced soon, will be interesting to see if he joins the Dogs.

Lehkonen just scored his first goal of the playoffs, his 3rd point in 8 games.

I believe Didier's game is on TSN 4 tonight at 5 pm.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Similar profile as the Gryba or Bortuzzo of this world. These type of Defensemen always come in handy in your Dsquad.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Getting to see a lot more of him this season has made me a real fan of his game. Not a lot of pure upside mind you, he's got next to zero puck skills, outside of making a decent first pass. But he's the kind of guy that just ''gets it'' as far as what his role on a team is . He plays a simple, rugged game with little complications and he's got both the size and the attitude to match it. If I had to compare him to someone I would be tempted to say an improved mobility version of Komisarek. He's kind of built like him too, large shoulders, big neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad