2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
You can't really compare AHL stats to Junior stats, especially for goaltenders. AHL teams apply a much better defensive system than CHL ones. A .900 average in the 'Q is acceptable, while it's putrid in the AHL.

100 point players in the AHL are few and far between, while there are usually a players who break the centennial every year in the three CHL leagues.

Im aware of all that, but Subban posted a 0.923 and a 0.934 in his final two years in junior, Fucale's not even close to .900 this year

With that said even though I dont have much faith in him Im OK with holding onto him because I doubt the return is worth the risk of him flourishing elsewhere right now, his value's at his lowest and I doubt he's even worth a high 2nd or low 3rd, as much as some of you want to Edmonton wont give up a top 65 pick for a goalie with a 0.877 sv percentage right now.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Im aware of all that, but Subban posted a 0.923 and a 0.934 in his final two years in junior, Fucale's not even close to .900 this year

With that said even though I dont have much faith in him Im OK with holding onto him because I doubt the return is worth the risk of him flourishing elsewhere right now, his value's at his lowest and I doubt he's even worth a high 2nd or low 3rd, as much as some of you want to Edmonton wont give up a top 65 pick for a goalie with a 0.877 sv percentage right now.

Not to nitpick but his save percentage is only. 877 over his last 17 games..........was .890 for the previous 24 games.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

I don't see how, roughly 3 months after he won the gold medal at the World Junior Championship, in TORONTO to top it off, his value is considered to be at an all time low. Fucale's case is really easy to sell. He has won pretty much everything there is to win for a junior player.

Tell me, when a manager looks at Fucale, what does he see first? His achievements or his average numbers on an all-offense Remparts team?

Memorial Cup, Gold at World Juniors including being the Starter for two straight years. Amongst the all-time leaders in wins in he 'Q. His ridiculous number of straight starts (was it 70?) as a 16 year old, including a deep push beyond the mighty Remparts.

I don't think you really understand how desperate some teams are in the goaltending department. We've been so blessed in Montréal historically in that aspect that we tend to underrate our goaltenders if they're anything below Hall of Famers.

Nowadays, the difference between a good backup goaltender and a poor one can make/break a season. I'm very confident that if/once Bergevin starts taking calls for Fucale, the offers will come aplenty, and they won't be disappointing.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I don't see how, roughly 3 months after he won the gold medal at the World Junior Championship, in TORONTO to top it off, his value is considered to be at an all time low. Fucale's case is really easy to sell. He has won pretty much everything there is to win for a junior player.

Tell me, when a manager looks at Fucale, what does he see first? His achievements or his average numbers on an all-offense Remparts team?

Memorial Cup, Gold at World Juniors including being the Starter for two straight years. Amongst the all-time leaders in wins in he 'Q. His ridiculous number of straight starts (was it 70?) as a 16 year old, including a deep push beyond the mighty Remparts.

I don't think you really understand how desperate some teams are in the goaltending department. We've been so blessed in Montréal historically in that aspect that we tend to underrate our goaltenders if they're anything below Hall of Famers.

Nowadays, the difference between a good backup goaltender and a poor one can make/break a season. I'm very confident that if/once Bergevin starts taking calls for Fucale, the offers will come aplenty, and they won't be disappointing.

Great for him that he won the world juniors but winning a hockey tournament playing for Canada should always be taken with a grain of salt IMO, he didnt have to be great in order to get the gold medal, Team Canada scored 18 goals in 3 games in the medal rounds, he gave up 4 goals on 30 shots against Russia which isnt anything noteworthy, showed bad positionning on the 1st Russian goal (Dman shot from a very bad angle along the boards), gave up 3 consecutive goals in the last 5 minutes of the 2nd period.

As for his memorial cup, knowing the Q like you do Im sure I dont have to remind you how great the Mooseheads were that year, this is hypothetical but I think they could've easily pulled off everything they did with a Marco Cousineau, Gabriel Girard, Nicolas Riopel, etc, guys who will never even get a sniff of the NHL but were also better than him statistically.

If you think his trophycase will be enough to convince an NHL GM that he could be a future #1 with the stats that he has I think you're wrong, if a GM is going to give up assets for him he's going to scout him and watch him in actual games before making his move and I doubt anybody will come out of Colisée Pepsi impressed with what he's shown this season, especially with the Remparts.

You're right saying what he did as a 16 year old was very impressive, the problem is he has barely improved between now and his 17 year old season, the one thing you should consider when evaluating a prospect is his progression, how could his value be anywhere higher than it was on draft day with what he's shown this year playing on a good junior team. I think his value was at his highest at the time we drafted him and I fail to see any point between now and then where it could've been lower than where it's at now after being really dissapointing (did he even finish a game against Val D'or?) and showing very few improvements in the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
As for his memorial cup, knowing the Q like you do Im sure I dont have to remind you how great the Mooseheads were that year, this is hypothetical but I think they could've easily pulled off everything they did with a Marco Cousineau, Gabriel Girard, Nicolas Riopel, etc, guys who will never even get a sniff of the NHL but were also better than him statistically.

Fucale should have been the Q playoffs MVP that year.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Fucale should have been the Q playoffs MVP that year.

You're right, I probably lowballed what he did in 2013 but then, it reinforces my point more than anything else when I say his value's at his lowest right now given it was at his highest when he was drafted fresh off a mem cup win.

Its not like Drouin didnt deserve MVP either though, among the losing teams, Cadorette and Marcoux were also really good that year, so was Andrighetto who topped Drouin's 2.06 PPG with a whooping 2.14 PPG (Kucherov's was 1.71)

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
You're right, I probably lowballed what he did in 2013 but then, it reinforces my point more than anything else when I say his value's at his lowest right now given it was at his highest when he was drafted fresh off a mem cup win.

Its not like Drouin didnt deserve MVP either though, among the losing teams, Cadorette and Marcoux were also really good that year, so was Andrighetto who topped Drouin's 2.06 PPG with a whooping 2.14 PPG (Kucherov's was 1.71)

I didn't follow much of the discussion to be honest :P

I just find it funny when people say Fucale was just the 3rd wheel in that Memorial Cup run when he was instrumental to the Moose getting there.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
The kid lacks focus. Plain and simple. He's had enough of junior hockey.

I wouldn't put it in those words, but I do think he'll be a surprise in the AHL for people who are down on him right now.

Goaltending is a weird position. Once he has to take that next step to pro hockey, I bet he'll be mentally refocused and will be up to the task. He's come up big in big situations, and he's too talented to have plateaued.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I guess you didn't see Ryan Murray play. I think he was -4 in the final. He was awful. He was pretty bad throughout that whole tournament too. Maybe the pressure got to him, but he was terrible especially considering he was expected to be a top 4 d-man for us.

Beaulieu was the 7th defenseman and didn't play alot to really make that kind of judgement. He's also most infamous for one play: the non-backcheck after turning the puck over in the neutral zone against the Russians. He wouldn't do that today. He's definitely upped his intensity, so I agree he's turned out fine. :)

Ryan Murphy was way worse then Ryan Murray, I just hated Murphy, he made my toes curl up like a fist when he was on the ice.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
CHL playoffs,

WHL Playoffs

Western Conference, US Division
1. Everett (Scherbak) vs. 4. Spokane

Eastern Conference, East Division
2. Regina vs. 3. Swift Current (Lernout)

Eastern Conference, Central Division
1. Calgary vs. 4. Kootenay (Bozon)

OHL Playoffs

Eastern Conference:

1. Oshawa (McCarron) vs. 8. Peterborough

QMJHL Playoffs

4. Quebec (Fucale) vs. 13. Cape Breton
7. Baie-Comeau (Grégoire) vs. 10. Saint John
8. Sherbrooke (Audette) vs. 9. Charlottetown

Last edited:

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Interesting read : http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/c6a32a23-4499-49e9-b105-873fb6d6e12b|_0.html

Mathias Brunet spoke to 3 NHL scouts about who would be the Habs 3 best prospects. Here are their lists :

Scout #1
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #2
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #3

1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- CHARLES HUDON
3- MICHAEL McCARRON

The 3rd scout says Tinordi is not far behing McCarron and that he still believes in him. He is much more worried about Fucale though....

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
CHL playoffs,

WHL Playoffs

Western Conference, US Division
1. Everett (Scherbak) vs. 4. Spokane

Eastern Conference, East Division
2. Regina vs. 3. Swift Current (Lernout)

Eastern Conference, Central Division
1. Calgary vs. 4. Kootenay (Bozon)

OHL Playoffs

Eastern Conference:

1. Oshawa (McCarron) vs. 8. Peterborough

QMJHL Playoffs

4. Quebec (Fucale) vs. 13. Cape Breton
7. Baie-Comeau (Grégoire) vs. 10. Saint John
8. Sherbrooke (Audette) vs. 9. Charlottetown

Fucale is not going to be the starter for Quebec.
At this point, I almost feel confident calling him a bust unless he somehow improves dramatically next year in the ECHL.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Interesting read : http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/c6a32a23-4499-49e9-b105-873fb6d6e12b|_0.html

Mathias Brunet spoke to 3 NHL scouts about who would be the Habs 3 best prospects. Here are their lists :

Scout #1
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #2
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #3

1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- CHARLES HUDON
3- MICHAEL McCARRON

The 3rd scout says Tinordi is not far behing McCarron and that he still believes in him. He is much more worried about Fucale though....

And it confirms my thought, Fucale has a very good value amongst the NHL braintrust.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I have had Scherbak as my #1 since he was drafted, but I like the 3rd scout as I would have McCarron and Hudon as my top 3 if you aren't counting DLR.

Fucale is not going to be the starter for Quebec.
At this point, I almost feel confident calling him a bust unless he somehow improves dramatically next year in the ECHL.

Depends on what other moves the Habs make but for now they have no one to back up Condon so it's going to be Fucale unless they sign a FA goalie. I wouldn't have a problem with him going to the ECHL though if he gets beat out as I would assume they sign someone for depth.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Remparts sitting Fucale for their playoffs opener

:facepalm:

Scout #1
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #2
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #3

1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- CHARLES HUDON
3- MICHAEL McCARRON

Thanks.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Scout #1
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #2
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #3

1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- CHARLES HUDON
3- MICHAEL McCARRON

Based on my scouting of the scouts ranking, Habs should sign scout #3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad