2014-2015 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I want to absolutely be wrong. But I do not see Lehkonen having any kind of NHL success, with us or elsewhere. Reway.....well somehow, I don't see it here....but see it elsewhere (here means with Therrien.....).

I like Grégoire, but I still think he needs to improve his skating to be useful.

Scherbak, yeah, I do think he'll be a top 6 player, but I don't see him as a catalyst. More of a great complementary player. A more energetic Ryder.

Fucale....was never a fan. Was actually a ND for me. Yet, mostly because I thought we were thinking of him in the 1st round. But as of now, I go back to my initial thought and believe that a guy who is known for rebounding after bad goals makes me believe that....he gives WAY too many bad goals to be able to say something like this.

Hudon is really an intriguing player. Never thought he'd make it. Never. Was becoming extremely predictable in the Q. Showed nice vision without the puck but with the puck and especially on the PP...he was downright terrible in tons of occasions. Yet...what he did this year is nothing sort but incredible. And at one point, you Wonder if he's a Tyler Johnson in the makings or....just a guy who had a great season by accident. It's all over the place for me. Not even sure he'd be a NHL'er yet....could surprise and become top 6. Safest bet would be a fine 3rd liner in the NHL.

Big Mac, well even if he wasn't my choice for #1 pick, way too soon for me, I think he was getting way too much flack. I have NO DOUBT that this player is a NHL'er. No doubt. ONly thing to determine is in what role. Again, safest bet, 3rd/4th line like everybody says. Yet....I'm predicting a whole lot of PP time parked in front of the net, scoring those ugly goals. 20 goals is not too far fetched. And people underestimate his passing game. I want him to be physical enough to be able to keep the puck along the boards, no need to send people in the stands, yet sometimes...it's fun. Not sure how those rankings are done...if it's based on surefire NHL'ers....I have no idea how McCarron would not surpass Fucale.

Another guy who, I believe, is a NHL'er is Tinordi. Remains to be seen the ceiling. Might "just" amount to be a reliable #5. Who can hit and scrap from time to time. But with some confidence, I have no idea how this guy will NOT become a NHL'er.

For the others, well Ghetto could clearly make a push. Lernout is having a great year. Not sure how Condon was not more highly regarded, he's having a heck of a season when you add it to the season he had before in the ECHL. Not a Audette fan. Can't wait to see what MacMillan and Didier do in the AHL once they get there. Both guys need to be sign I believe. ONce Therrien will know that Macmillan won the defensive forward award of the year, he'll put some pressure on Bergevin....:sarcasm:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
A more energetic Ryder? Is this a tongue and cheek post?

I see Scherbak as a pure scorer but that won't be the catalyst of his line. Ryder was surely an exagerated example but it's the idea I want to portrait. Scherbak is not going to be the guy who will work along the boards, but mostly will be a king in finding the openings in the slot, always well placed and will score his goals by mostly positioned himself well where he should. With a terrific wrister. That's pretty much what Ryder was. Though, I do know that Scherbak has WAY more natural skills than Ryder. But I believe that's how he'll succeed in the NHL. I envision Galchenyuk to be more a catalyst when all is said and done than Scherbak. Doesn't mean that you won't need him.

I could have probably used Vrbata instead. But I don't think he'll be a Marian Hossa. Ryder was used more to explain that he'd be a great pure scorer, with a great sense of offensive positioning without being THE catalyst of his line. That was my point.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I see Scherbak as a pure scorer but that won't be the catalyst of his line. Ryder was surely an exagerated example but it's the idea I want to portrait. Scherbak is not going to be the guy who will work along the boards, but mostly will be a king in finding the openings in the slot, always well placed and will score his goals by mostly positioned himself well where he should. With a terrific wrister. That's pretty much what Ryder was. Though, I do know that Scherbak has WAY more natural skills than Ryder. But I believe that's how he'll succeed in the NHL. I envision Galchenyuk to be more a catalyst when all is said and done than Scherbak. Doesn't mean that you won't need him.

I could have probably used Vrbata instead. But I don't think he'll be a Marian Hossa. Ryder was used more to explain that he'd be a great pure scorer, with a great sense of offensive positioning without being THE catalyst of his line. That was my point.

I don't see it at all, he can set up plays really well and also can stickhandle so for me he's the kind of forward that can do it all offensively. I think he can carry a line but we'll have to see how his game translates at the pro level as I just haven't seen enough of him to have a good read just yet. Don't see him like Ryder at all, not even on a bad night.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I don't see it at all, he can set up plays really well and also can stickhandle so for me he's the kind of forward that can do it all offensively. I think he can carry a line but we'll have to see how his game translates at the pro level as I just haven't seen enough of him to have a good read just yet. Don't see him like Ryder at all, not even on a bad night.

Yeah, Ryder was surely not my greatest example....:laugh:

I saw Scherbak play at least 10ish times so far this year and he has to be more consistent. Yet, some nights, I didn't see him a whole lot, and yet, he exploded in one or 2 occasions and has a 3 point night. But I do recognize that he has a whole lot more natural skills. Reason why I prefer more my Vrbata example. Type of guy who plays the role of the eagle, flying around the offensive zone, trying to find the open spot and strike from there. I somehow see him more as a scorer in the NHL than a passer. Pacioretty was mostly a passer prior to his pro career. I see Scherbak taking the same direction.

Since we have stats on him, his USHS years, Pacioretty has had more passes than goals in his first 6 years of hockey. Only started to be more a scorer in year 7, which was his 3rd year with the Habs. For Scherbak, it's his first 2 years in Juniors. Will see what he does from now on. I obviously want him to be more complete but what we mostly need are pure goal scorers, and he clearly can play that role.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There are some big concerns with a guy like Lehkonen. He is very slight and I don't know if he can, or will get strong enough to survive, let alone thrive in the NHL, and he's moreover a complimentary player at best. That being said, his game in November against Tampere has given me enough reason to ''wait and see'' with him. I think he's absolutely smart enough to play his game at the NHL level. I'm not sure where he'll be playing next year, but it's going to be a big year for him. Lets see how he responds.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
With DLR and Beaulieu seemingly graduating (never know nowadays... They may regress like Bournival). Pateryn is near 25 years old.

Here's my top 10:

Scherbak
McCarron
Tinordi
Hudon
Gregoire
Andrighetto
Lehkonen
Dietz
Condon
Reway

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
With DLR and Beaulieu seemingly graduating (never know nowadays... They may regress like Bournival). Pateryn is near 25 years old.

Here's my top 10:

Scherbak
McCarron
Tinordi
Hudon
Gregoire
Andrighetto
Lehkonen
Dietz
Condon
Reway

First ones look great. I'd have Lehkonen lower than Condon and Reway though.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Remparts sitting Fucale for their playoffs opener

Not surprised, I hope Bergevin will still be able to move him in the off season. I liked Jarry back in the draft and I still believe he is a better goalie and prospect. Can't believe Team Canada didn't give that kid a shot for the World Juniors.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
With rookies (DLR or Beaulieu), there's no guarantee that they will play as good as now. In the last few years, we have seen some rookies playing relatively fine in their first season, but couldn't succeed in next years.

Examples:
2011-12: Leblanc got 5g-5a in 42 games. Next years, he badly regressed.
2012-13: Dumont got 1g-2a in 10 games.
2013-14: Bournival got 7g-7a in 60 games. He couldn't make it this year

2014-15: will DLR and Beaulieu become full-time NHLer ?
DLR: 3g-2a in 26 games so far. Statistically speaking, he's worst than the 3 other forwards. I understand stats is not everything though.

I have more confidence in Beaulieu than DLR.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I saw Scherbak play at least 10ish times so far this year and he has to be more consistent. Yet, some nights, I didn't see him a whole lot, and yet, he exploded in one or 2 occasions and has a 3 point night. But I do recognize that he has a whole lot more natural skills. Reason why I prefer more my Vrbata example. Type of guy who plays the role of the eagle, flying around the offensive zone, trying to find the open spot and strike from there. I somehow see him more as a scorer in the NHL than a passer. Pacioretty was mostly a passer prior to his pro career. I see Scherbak taking the same direction.

Since we have stats on him, his USHS years, Pacioretty has had more passes than goals in his first 6 years of hockey. Only started to be more a scorer in year 7, which was his 3rd year with the Habs. For Scherbak, it's his first 2 years in Juniors. Will see what he does from now on. I obviously want him to be more complete but what we mostly need are pure goal scorers, and he clearly can play that role.

When I see Scherbak, I see Galchenyuk all over again. In regards to Pacioretty, he was a passer first and foremost, I saw him in the USHL All Star game and at Michigan and thought he was going to be a playmaker, even in his first year in Hamilton he didn't start scoring goals until his final year with the Dogs when he was playing with DD and both were lighting it up before getting called up.

There are some big concerns with a guy like Lehkonen. He is very slight and I don't know if he can, or will get strong enough to survive, let alone thrive in the NHL, and he's moreover a complimentary player at best. That being said, his game in November against Tampere has given me enough reason to ''wait and see'' with him. I think he's absolutely smart enough to play his game at the NHL level. I'm not sure where he'll be playing next year, but it's going to be a big year for him. Lets see how he responds.

He's under contract with Frolunda for next season so I would assume he stays there.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Interesting read : http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/c6a32a23-4499-49e9-b105-873fb6d6e12b|_0.html

Mathias Brunet spoke to 3 NHL scouts about who would be the Habs 3 best prospects. Here are their lists :

Scout #1
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #2
1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- ZACHARY FUCALE
3- JARRED TINORDI

Scout #3

1- NIKITA SCHERBAK
2- CHARLES HUDON
3- MICHAEL McCARRON

The 3rd scout says Tinordi is not far behing McCarron and that he still believes in him. He is much more worried about Fucale though....

Now I'm not a scout by any means, just a hockey fan of 60 yrs., my feeling is the NHL scout #3 is hitting the nail on the head. As he says of those 4 players Fucale, despite his record and Team Canada win, has lots of work ahead before he can be an NHLer. Tinordi like he says has promise and like most big PWF's & Dmen they take longer in their adjustment to reaching their upside. Any team that has two big prospects with their skating abilities, passing, defensive game & intangibles(Creating room and chaos in front of the opponents net), clearing the netfront defensively and defending their teammates, have drafted really well. Many teams will be hoping they can fleece Bergevin of these men, with good reason they are jealous of what they could represent to their teams success, IMHO.:nod:

The Scherbak & Hudon choices of course are much easier to make it's quite evident in their production and skill levels that they can be a great asset to any NHL team. Hudon's moxie permits him to be played throughout the top nine very nicely, a coaches dream player, one he can use in most situations and depend upon him as being a+ player.(Regardless of offence, he's a good 200 ft. player.) Scherbak IMHO, will learn the two/way game in the Habs system but exudes all the abilities necessary to become a Top Six player, possibly 1st line depending upon his development & the Habs strength in the Top Six.

Habs depth in great prospects(NHL players soon) is very good, with more in the pipeline that still show promise of becoming the player that was hoped for on draft day. Mac Bennett, Darren Deitz, Magnus Nygren, Dalton Thrower on defence have been stalled with injuries but have all shown distinct upside in the pros AHL/ECHL as has Morgan Ellis in his return from obscurity in the ECHL. The Habs are deep, I repeat Deep in good defencemen with NHL potential, and have Lernout & Didier coming this summer creating fierce competition for AHL openings. No worries on that front ATM, the tireless work of the Habs Brass(Should be called Gold,IMHO) have brought our system back into one of the "Elite Professional Hockey Systems" in very short order, once again the AHL team will be in the mix for the Calder Trophy Playoffs every season, like it was in the distant past.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

Given that he has almost twice as many assists as goals in his WHL career, I see him as more of a setup guy than a scorer. But I haven't seen him play so I could be wrong. I've always thought of Ryder as shoot first kind of guy.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Surprised to see Fucale at #2...

And it confirms my thought, Fucale has a very good value amongst the NHL braintrust.

Not all the braintrust, about 2/3 :sarcasm:

I think it shows even professional scouts don't agree with what to make of Fucale's season. Some are worried while some others see it as a bump in a long road.

I myself don't know what to make of him but I think it would be ill-advised to give up and trade him before we even get a chance to see him play in a pro league. He seems to be a smart kid with character and confidence. I'm always tempted to be more patient with those.

I have had Scherbak as my #1 since he was drafted, but I like the 3rd scout as I would have McCarron and Hudon as my top 3 if you aren't counting DLR.

Based on my scouting of the scouts ranking, Habs should sign scout #3.

I should have specified that the article mentions that the guys playing with the Habs right now weren't in the discussion.

I agree with you that the scout #3 ranking is the one I like the most, as even if I'm not as down on Fucale as others, I'd have a hard time puttimg him ahead of McCarron and Hudon.

That's how I see Sherbak as well. He can do it all. The only thing that will decide how good he'll become will be his smarts, his attitude and his dedication to training and to get better. And from the comments of pretty much anybody who knows the kid, he seems to be irreproachable in that sense as well. I'm very excited about this kid.

With rookies (DLR or Beaulieu), there's no guarantee that they will play as good as now. In the last few years, we have seen some rookies playing relatively fine in their first season, but couldn't succeed in next years.

I have more confidence in Beaulieu than DLR.

I disagree about the bolded part. I guess it depends about what are your expectations to consider that DLR succeeds. If you grade it with regard to offensive stats, than I understand you lacking confidence in DLR. But to me he just plays such a steady game so consistently that I can't see him taking a step back.

Beaulieu is a lot more hit-or-miss in my mind as you still don't know what kind of player you're gonna get game in and game out. That is more worriesome to me.

Now I'm not a scout by any means, just a hockey fan of 60 yrs., my feeling is the NHL scout #3 is hitting the nail on the head. As he says of those 4 players Fucale, despite his record and Team Canada win, has lots of work ahead before he can be an NHLer. Tinordi like he says has promise and like most big PWF's & Dmen they take longer in their adjustment to reaching their upside. Any team that has two big prospects with their skating abilities, passing, defensive game & intangibles(Creating room and chaos in front of the opponents net), clearing the netfront defensively and defending their teammates, have drafted really well. Many teams will be hoping they can fleece Bergevin of these men, with good reason they are jealous of what they could represent to their teams success, IMHO.:nod:

The Scherbak & Hudon choices of course are much easier to make it's quite evident in their production and skill levels that they can be a great asset to any NHL team. Hudon's moxie permits him to be played throughout the top nine very nicely, a coaches dream player, one he can use in most situations and depend upon him as being a+ player.(Regardless of offence, he's a good 200 ft. player.) Scherbak IMHO, will learn the two/way game in the Habs system but exudes all the abilities necessary to become a Top Six player, possibly 1st line depending upon his development & the Habs strength in the Top Six.

Habs depth in great prospects(NHL players soon) is very good, with more in the pipeline that still show promise of becoming the player that was hoped for on draft day. Mac Bennett, Darren Deitz, Magnus Nygren, Dalton Thrower on defence have been stalled with injuries but have all shown distinct upside in the pros AHL/ECHL as has Morgan Ellis in his return from obscurity in the ECHL. The Habs are deep, I repeat Deep in good defencemen with NHL potential, and have Lernout & Didier coming this summer creating fierce competition for AHL openings. No worries on that front ATM, the tireless work of the Habs Brass(Should be called Gold,IMHO) have brought our system back into one of the "Elite Professional Hockey Systems" in very short order, once again the AHL team will be in the mix for the Calder Trophy Playoffs every season, like it was in the distant past.:handclap::handclap::handclap:

To be honest, I'm not crazy about our prospect pool at the moment. It's not dramatic as we have a lot of young guys making their first steps with the team right now. But as far as prospects not playing in the NHL at the moment, once you get passed the tope 3 or 4, it's a whole lot of question marks and guys that will maybe become 3rd or 4th liners and 6th or 7th defensemen.

You're welcome :)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Don't see it at all either. Scherbak imo will be much more of a playmaker than either Ryder or Vrbata. He is a much better skater than either player and has better puck skills. The obvious comparison for myself is a Voracek style of player. It is doubtful that he will ever be as good as Voracek but they play a nearly identical type of game. Scherbak is a player who is used to gain offensive zone entries and to set up plays from the sideboards. Nothing at all like Ryder or Vrbata who are almost exclusively shoot fist type of wingers who are opportunists as opposed to creators.

Scherbak should be very effective when finally combined with other highly skilled players who know how to find seams and create/exploit time and space.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just a heads up : You can watch Big Mac play the Petes in their playoff opener tonight at 7:30 on Sportsnet.

thanks, I usually check their schedule but didn't see this listed last time I looked. :yo::handclap:

I disagree about the bolded part. I guess it depends about what are your expectations to consider that DLR succeeds. If you grade it with regard to offensive stats, than I understand you lacking confidence in DLR. But to me he just plays such a steady game so consistently that I can't see him taking a step back.

Beaulieu is a lot more hit-or-miss in my mind as you still don't know what kind of player you're gonna get game in and game out. That is more worriesome to me.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about our prospect pool at the moment. It's not dramatic as we have a lot of young guys making their first steps with the team right now. But as far as prospects not playing in the NHL at the moment, once you get passed the tope 3 or 4, it's a whole lot of question marks and guys that will maybe become 3rd or 4th liners and 6th or 7th defensemen.

good point on DLR/Beaulieu, agree 100% as DLR I'm worried about the offense but everything else he seems to do so well. Beaulieu I still don't know what to make of him, he's shown some good flashes but his production is terrible for someone that was drafted as an offensive D, on top of that his shot almost always seems to hit opposing players shin pads but he's such a great skater that if he can put it all together we will have a good player on our hands. Just not sold he can do that yet.

I'm also not crazy about our prospect pool at the moment, I've seen most of them this year and clearly we have a lack of high end talent. That said if Galchenyuk continues to get better and Scherbak ends up being something similar then that should really help us since we have a young core outside of Markov/Pleks.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Beautiful assist by McCarron! That 16 years old kid did not have a chance vs the big boy in the board battle though.:laugh:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
McCarron is amazing. Can't wait.

Eagles score 3 goals on 12 shots vs Quebec.

Should have started Fucale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad