Speculation: 2014-15 Off-Season Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
What's Barberio have to gain in the AHL though? He's 24 years old and has won the Eddie Shore so not sure it's going to help him any. He needs NHL minutes to see if he's cut out for the league or not. He can dominate lesser talent but when the talent improves he's struggled so far, we need to just give him a run of games and make a decision one way or another. The Crunch could use him but we have younger players we need a look at and who need to play so would rather trade him then demote him.

We're so spoiled with prospects right now, that I think we as Tampa fans have forgotten that they don't all work out. Barbs has the tools, but man, the toolbox just isn't there. Him on the team over Sustr would be an injustice - if we're rolling 8D on the roster, fine, but otherwise? Arrivederci.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We're so spoiled with prospects right now, that I think we as Tampa fans have forgotten that they don't all work out. Barbs has the tools, but man, the toolbox just isn't there. Him on the team over Sustr would be an injustice - if we're rolling 8D on the roster, fine, but otherwise? Arrivederci.

I'm expecting us to carry 8D so that's why I see him on the team. We should give him some game time early and if it don't work waive him when Drouin comes back and keep the extra forward up.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Dude seriously? You saw it too? I was thinking I was nuts for thinking that because during blue vs white practices I'm thinking "God this kid is br00tal. They just need to make him a forward so we can get use of him."

I picked on him last year, he was garbage. I went to the preseason game where he played, he was garbage. I went to fan fest and watched him scrim from the first row, and he was garbage. He's just not an NHL player. Too many mistakes and hesitates way too much. His mental game needs some work, not just his hockey skills.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I have always been hard on barbs but disagree as usual with hose. He to me is not ready for nhl physically and mentally. He needs confidence swagger etc.. maybe if he had come up immediately and been given a spot right off bat after his career year? Maybe that makes a difference?

Right now I think his biggest problem is confidence putting him through waivers aint gonna help that at this point but it might overall. I do not see him landing a gig or anyone trading for him at 24 and his size and background in nhl so far. So why do you think we could get any value for him Hose? Why trade him ? So no let him go down and work it out get hot bring him up see what he can do:)

I do not see him ever being the stud everyone believed he might be after his career year but he can play in nhl I personally believe just doubt for us. We have 7 guys imho ahead of him and koekkoek who looks ready to probably pass him too.

a team that needs a good fast young pmd after he gets some confidence back? It might work out for him I just dont see him passing the others already ahead of him ever and he is just gonna keep getting passed. If we hadnt added the guys we did with offense if hedman had not become what he is etc..

barbs had a better shot but things change.

hes def the odd man out.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If he's not physically ready by now then he may never be ready. Playing against less talented, less physical player's in the A isn't helping that either. I don't think it's confidence because the kid looks like he has swagger at all times on the ice.

I don't think we could get value for him but I also think he could possibly be claimed so we'd lose him for nothing if we send him down. Like I also said I'd rather develop Koekkoek, Blujus, Nesterov and all our other young D then sending him down and having him play 25 minutes which takes away development time for others. The AHL is a development league so even though Barberio will help the Crunch win it'll stagnate others development.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
If he's not physically ready by now then he may never be ready. Playing against less talented, less physical player's in the A isn't helping that either. I don't think it's confidence because the kid looks like he has swagger at all times on the ice.

I don't think we could get value for him but I also think he could possibly be claimed so we'd lose him for nothing if we send him down. Like I also said I'd rather develop Koekkoek, Blujus, Nesterov and all our other young D then sending him down and having him play 25 minutes which takes away development time for others. The AHL is a development league so even though Barberio will help the Crunch win it'll stagnate others development.

Jacob Markstrom cleared waivers which shocked me. If Mark Barberio didnt clear waivers after 49 games with 14 minutes of toi under his belt I would be in shock.

I guess you can throw the carrot out there see if any team bites?

My thing though which maybe I didnt relay too well is I dont think he is physically there I am not saying others would disagree. I think he gets manhandled a lot in his own end when he is not aggressive enough. I have seen him do the job when hes on and he can play when hes on but when he is not playing that way and backing off and timid?

To me he is a detriment and just not ready. He is big enough size wise and quick enough etc.. and adds the dimension of being a pmd and scorer which should add value but he is a lefty and only ready to be a 6th protected or 7th d man for me.

I am used to detroit though and them having 4-5 good d guys where you could bring a guy like barberio along. I have the same complaints for detroit and brendan smith who has a little more of a resume with double the games of barberio being just a little bigger but similar styles.

Barberios shooting percentage is a lot higher. I feel the same about both guys though they are missing something and will only ever be like 5-6 guys and for their upside with the shooting maybe running power plays if they are only 5-6 guys?

To me that makes them useless lol and not what is needed overall. You got to have guys like that at least be a solid 3-4 to have worth:)

That is my take it might be unfair to that style of player though.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Last edited:

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Garrison is much better playing on the left, so where does Carle fit? You do not pay $5.5m to play bottom pair.

Assuming we carry 8 D, that leaves 4 spaces for 5 D

I still think Carle could be traded (take less $ back but get some cap room).
Brewer can play either side giving flexibility on 3rd pair.

Assuming Hedman- Stralman are first pair,then

Garrison - Sustr/Gudas
Brewer - Gudas/Sustr
Witkowski, Barberio as scratch or 7th D (I think we will play with 6D this year)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Garrison is much better playing on the left, so where does Carle fit? You do not pay $5.5m to play bottom pair.

Garrison - Sustr/Gudas
Brewer - Gudas/Sustr
Witkowski, Barberio as scratch or 7th D (I think we will play with 6D this year)
I don't get this. For the first time in a decade we have a solid D. Defense has been our weakness for years. Carle is a veteran, Carle is a leader who wore an "A" for us last season, Carle was our 2nd best defenseman last season, Carle was our #1 shutdown defenseman last season and yet Carle still put up 31 points in that role.

Also, what do we need cap space for? What would we even want in return (I asked the same question in the JAM thread)? How is that D corps you posted better than that same D only with an extra 20+ minutes eating, smooth skating, all-rounder with experience and leadership qualities?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Garrison - Sustr/Gudas
Brewer - Gudas/Sustr

I think that

Carle - Sustr
Garrison - Gudas
Brewer as 7th D getting limited time
Barberio at 8 and Witko down. If Sustr goes down instead, that changes a lot.

is much more likely than trading away Carle. As LS said, I don't see the sense in trading away a key part of our defense when it appears we have a very solid defense corps for the first time in a long time.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think that

Carle - Sustr
Garrison - Gudas
Brewer as 7th D getting limited time
Barberio at 8 and Witko down. If Sustr goes down instead, that changes a lot.

is much more likely than trading away Carle. As LS said, I don't see the sense in trading away a key part of our defense when it appears we have a very solid defense corps for the first time in a long time.

Yup.

Trading Carle right now would be tinkering for the sake of tinkering. He's a pretty good #3. There's really only an issue when he's asked to be a #1. We don't need him on the PP anymore and Stralman will take over some of the heavier PK work. Carle is really well-suited to his role this year.

Yzlamic Preacher*

I don't get this. For the first time in a decade we have a solid D. Defense has been our weakness for years. Carle is a veteran, Carle is a leader who wore an "A" for us last season, Carle was our 2nd best defenseman last season, Carle was our #1 shutdown defenseman last season and yet Carle still put up 31 points in that role.

Also, what do we need cap space for? What would we even want in return (I asked the same question in the JAM thread)? How is that D corps you posted better than that same D only with an extra 20+ minutes eating, smooth skating, all-rounder with experience and leadership qualities?

This. Finally looking at our defense isn't like looking at tarot cards trying deceiver our future. We have a solid, stable core. Who cares if we pay 5.5 to Carle play on the third, if our third pairing is playing 18 - 19 minutes, we always have fresh and reliable D on the ice.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Yeah, I honestly never understood all the Carle hate last season.

Also not a fnan of the, "you don't pay a player X dollars to play on the bottom pairing / fourth line / whatever." If you pick what lines players play on based solely on pay, you're gonna have a bad time. By that logic, Vinny Lecavalier should have been our 1st line center the entire time we had him, and Hedman should be on our second or third pair. I don't think Carle will be on the bottom pair, but on the off chance he is, we will pay him 5.5 million dollars to play on it, and that's the way it'll be.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
^ Especially with this defensive squad Cooper will be able to spread the workload evenly. Hedman, Carle, Stralman, Garrison are all able to play 20+ minutes per night. Brewer and Gudas should be fine playing around 14-16 minutes and Barbs, Sustr or Witkowski give us the opportunity to play 7D for even more relief.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Some of you just want someone or something to hate.

Hey I love all of our guys dont hate none of them:) Get ya though!!

Carle I am looking for a fantastic year think he will work incredibly well if put with garrison.

Only guy im down on really overall is panik but he gets his shot he needs to prove my beliefs wrong:)

I believe he will get every opportunity and if he can match the brain and talent I will be first guy on his bandwagon!!

Other guys have minor concerns but is minor honestly. Some guys are gonna be gone sooner than later and will hate it like did thompson.

Not so much purcell the writing was on the wall he was not a good fit with style of play we want to instill etc.. Nothing against teddy hell of a guy think he will have a great year myself and he has a lot of worth just was redundant and non physical so hoping the guys here now get that this style we are moving forward is expected primarily of everyone:)

Anyway always get excited seeing you fear any inkling on what they are thinking?

Kucherov does he have a shot to play with stammer and callahan? Are they really liking that mixture?

Killorn how is he doing so far think he has only played a game I think? know he had one strong scrimmage and a couple goals is he looking more mature faster better this year?

Gonna get the monkey off back of the posts? Big jump with killer or no?

Always happy to hear your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese