Speculation: 2014-15 Off-Season Talk - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We should trade back for Lindback, we need a whipping boy

I'd defend him still.

My question about Witkowski is he seems too similar to Gudas. Doesn't make sense to carry two guys who do almost the same. Sustr and Barberio at least add a different element that we could use in certain matchups. Just don't think this is Witkowski's time but he'll be the first call up.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I think we're just not used to having a team that doesn't have huge gaping holes at two out of three positions. It's odd for us to not have something on defense to legitimately complain about.

I said this last season, but after getting yelled at around 30 times by people who couldn't have a friendly... Well I just stopped saying anything.

We should trade back for Lindback, we need a whipping boy

As for this...

YAGpXPd.png

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
What are your the best guesses at the 5 that have to be cut and will they be traded, sent down, on waivers to be sent down, or released. Assuming no big trades:

Likely AHL . If one of these makes it then even tougher choices for last 3.
WITKOWSKI
NAMESTNIKOV
MARCHESSEAULT

That leaves some tough choices:
Kucherov (very unlikely but waiver exempt)
Connolly (very very unlikely as would never clear waivers, and trade value low).
J.T.Brown (unlikely)
Panik (would have to clear waivers)
PAQUETTE (Cooper seems to want him)
Sustr (doubtful but I think he is waiver exempt?)
Barberio (would have to clear waivers I think?)
Gudas (I do not think he is a lock but very nearly so. Included for completeness)

My Guess: Sustr goes and plays big minutes with the Crunch. Panik traded, or hope he clears waivers.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
What are your the best guesses at the 5 that have to be cut and will they be traded, sent down, on waivers to be sent down, or released. Assuming no big trades:

Likely AHL . If one of these makes it then even tougher choices for last 3.
WITKOWSKI
NAMESTNIKOV
MARCHESSEAULT

That leaves some tough choices:
Kucherov (very unlikely but waiver exempt)
Connolly (very very unlikely as would never clear waivers, and trade value low).
J.T.Brown (unlikely)
Panik (would have to clear waivers)
PAQUETTE (Cooper seems to want him)
Sustr (doubtful but I think he is waiver exempt?)
Barberio (would have to clear waivers I think?)
Gudas (I do not think he is a lock but very nearly so. Included for completeness)

My Guess: Sustr goes and plays big minutes with the Crunch. Panik traded, or hope he clears waivers.

I would easily put Paquette in the AHL, but I guess it must be me the only one that doesn't like him so much, even more after we signed Morrow and Boyle.
I would waive Barberio or trade him... if not Sustr in AHL

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Wait, I thought Sustr was on a one way contract. Is he still waiver eligible? I would really prefer to see him in the AHL to start the year, cause he still isnt ready yet, but he is getting there fast.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Funniest main board post I've seen in a while, by the funnily enough named Samwise Gagner:

Purcell looked like he was coasting for the first few games, assuming because he's a vet and knows he's going to make the roster regardless.
Had a pretty solid game tonight though, looked a lot more engaged when playing in a roster that had a few more NHL players on it.

It has begun.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Funniest main board post I've seen in a while, by the funnily enough named Samwise Gagner:

It has begun.

Can't wait to have Oiler fans posting in here asking us if he played like such a lazy ******* with us too

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Can't wait to have Oiler fans posting in here asking us if he played like such a lazy ******* with us too

They were warned. We told them and they didn't listen. "Oh he just needs a change of scenery" or "Well playing with so and so will be better than who he was playing with."

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I would easily put Paquette in the AHL, but I guess it must be me the only one that doesn't like him so much, even more after we signed Morrow and Boyle.
I would waive Barberio or trade him... if not Sustr in AHL

You are not alone, I also feel that Paquette needs some more time to grow and mature becuase while he have done some nice things he’s to inconsistent right now and looks to overwhelemed 8which have resulted in some penelties and while I don’t blame him for game 4 it seem as if he haven’t grown from that but still play the same) at time and I feel that he could use another year in the AHL to really grow, but I don’t know, Cooper seem to like him and maybe they see something in his but I would hate it if we had to send down some other great young player who is ready to keep him up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You are not alone, I also feel that Paquette needs some more time to grow and mature becuase while he have done some nice things he’s to inconsistent right now and looks to overwhelemed 8which have resulted in some penelties and while I don’t blame him for game 4 it seem as if he haven’t grown from that but still play the same) at time and I feel that he could use another year in the AHL to really grow, but I don’t know, Cooper seem to like him and maybe they see something in his but I would hate it if we had to send down some other great young player who is ready to keep him up.

I think Paquette winds up down simply because it's almost impossible for us to keep anyone unexpected up without a trade, or without risking someone (Panik?) to waivers.

That said, I think Cooper believes he can win hockey games with Paquette on the fourth line. Whenever you hear Coop talks about what he values in a player, he basically describes a guy like Paquette.

But still:

1. Stamkos
2. Filppula
3. Johnson
4. Boyle
5. Palat
6. Drouin
7. Killorn
8. Morrow
9. Callahan
10. Kucherov
11. Connolly
12. Brown
13. Panik

How does a forward crack that? The guy on the bubble, I guess, would be Panik, but I don't think Yzerman can get the value he would want for him and I don't think we'll risk him to waivers. (...Maybe Killorn in terms of inflated value?)

The one other option would be to go with 14F and 7D, but I can't think of the last time we did that.

I think that's going to end up our forward group. But I also think Cooper is Paquette's biggest fan, and we know Yzerman talked about Boyle playing 3W, so they might have another plan in mind.

It's probably even harder for Namestnikov, because he would have to push someone out of the top nine. And let's keep in mind--this is pre-season. I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but it could prove to be a huge mistake if we trade someone to make room for a guy with four games of experience. Especially when you consider Drouin and Connolly are going to be breaking in this year (essentially, in Connolly's case).

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They were warned. We told them and they didn't listen. "Oh he just needs a change of scenery" or "Well playing with so and so will be better than who he was playing with."

Last year around mid March I called the Lightning offices to get an idea what kind of ticket packages I could get my hands on and gauge prices of being a STH for this coming season. Needless to say a college kid couldn't afford and I will going to games at random like usual. But before I hung up I suggested to the representative that they make Lightning drink coasters with a #16 on it due to Teddy's 2 month long sabbatical from goal scoring. Needless to say the representative laughed.

I think at the time it was around the 17th and according to the game logs he hadn't had a goal in 18 games, which sounds about right.

I feel bad for Oiler fans because Purcell is so freakishly talented and the most maddening part of him isn't even his streaks of lack of production, it's the untapped potential that you never get to see because he doesn't push himself to be better.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Scott Laughlin and guests on Sirius XM NHL radio predicting Stamkos will be resigned at 12M/yr on a 8 year deal from Vinik on 7/1/15.

Vinik in the past week stated that resigning Stamkos is a top priority, so I can see this happening.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Scott Laughlin and guests on Sirius XM NHL radio predicting Stamkos will be resigned at 12M/yr on a 8 year deal from Vinik on 7/1/15.

Vinik in the past week stated that resigning Stamkos is a top priority, so I can see this happening.

That's awful. That caphit is pretty brutal. He's no Toews so don't think he should get more then him.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
That's awful. That caphit is pretty brutal. He's no Toews so don't think he should get more then him.

You're right, he's better than Toews or Kane. He is a top 3 player in the league and will be paid as such. Points earn money, not two-way play. Toews has scored at a PPG clip once in his career and is most well known for his Selke level defense. If any GM in the league had the opportunity to sign Stamkos to an 8 year, 12 million dollar a year contract, they would do what they had to do to make it work and be ecstatic about it.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
You're right, he's better than Toews or Kane. He is a top 3 player in the league and will be paid as such. Points earn money, not two-way play. Toews has scored at a PPG clip once in his career and is most well known for his Selke level defense. If any GM in the league had the opportunity to sign Stamkos to an 8 year, 12 million dollar a year contract, they would do what they had to do to make it work and be ecstatic about it.

Pretty sure he was trolling.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011

I was looking at the Oilers Board and i'm not seeing much on Purcell. Where are you guys seeing stuff.Thanks

The only thing I read by one Oiler Poster was after their last game and the guy said "Teddy Purcell is definitely an Oiler and not in a good way".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->