Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
A bit of luck, casual defense and a lot of skill.

DampSlowClownanemonefish.gif

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Sick mitts and skating on display there. I honestly think he makes the team next year whether he impresses as a call up or makes it right off the bat. There's really not much in his way unless Roy and sakic finally make a move for a proper ld.

bidzey*

well in about a little over 4 hours from now (6PM EST) they face off against Oshawa Generals, the third best team in CHL, never mind OHL. (Don't know why they're placed 3rd, they have a better record than 2nd place Erie Otters). Of course Bigras is always matched up with the best the opponent can throw at Owen Sound, so let's see how this one goes.

I expect Owen Sound to get their butts kicked, but maybe they'll surprise everybody, not to mention this is the 3rd game in 3 days.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Have to give Nantel a little love, he just had a 2G3A weekend to lead our prospects with 23 points. If I can ever find the highlights the shorty he scored was a beauty in particular, he did the MacKinnon split the D move. I know when he was drafted the comments were focused on his two way play but little offense, the guy does not have little offense and he drives the play quite a bit.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Butcher got a mention in THN

Team USA may have nearly half its blueline back for the world juniors, depending on Steven Santini’s health, but Butcher is ready to go again and it shows. The thick two-way rearguard was just named conference defenseman of the week thanks to his penalty-killing acumen, overall defense and three points vs. Air Force. Drafted 123rd overall by Colorado in 2013.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Butcher got a mention in THN
Quote:
Team USA may have nearly half its blueline back for the world juniors, depending on Steven Santini’s health, but Butcher is ready to go again and it shows. The thick two-way rearguard was just named conference defenseman of the week thanks to his penalty-killing acumen, overall defense and three points vs. Air Force. Drafted 123rd overall by Colorado in 2013

They call him a "thick" two-way defenseman? I was under the impression that he was in the mold of a skinnier Barrie. Did he put some weight on or is he taller now?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They call him a "thick" two-way defenseman? I was under the impression that he was in the mold of a skinnier Barrie. Did he put some weight on or is he taller now?

He is definitely not skinnier than Barrie. I don't know what he is listed at, but he has to be at least 200... maybe up even up to 210, and he isn't over 5'10".

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Still really interested in Butcher. He doesn't get a ton of attention, but he has the tools to be a top-4 defender. I remember watching a couple of games and just loving his offensive ability. It's good to hear that he is building on that defensive game as well. Could be our hidden gem.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Still really interested in Butcher. He doesn't get a ton of attention, but he has the tools to be a top-4 defender. I remember watching a couple of games and just loving his offensive ability. It's good to hear that he is building on that defensive game as well. Could be our hidden gem.

Yeah exactly, he's got the offensive part down but now that he's considered a two way guy is really interesting.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea, Butcher's still kind of under the radar right now, but the things that do get out about him always seem positive. He's in a lot of Eichel's highlights from the WJC too.

BTW, that GIF crashing this page for anyone else?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yea, Butcher's still kind of under the radar right now, but the things that do get out about him always seem positive. He's in a lot of Eichel's highlights from the WJC too.

BTW, that GIF crashing this page for anyone else?

Takes an eternity to load the page, yeah.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Neither Westlund or Lindholm are looking like great picks at the moment.

Westlund didn't get much playing time last year and is on loan to Allsvenskan this season. Where he isn't doing anything great.

Anton Lindholm is in a bit of log jam and is also on loan to Allsvenskan. His game log http://shl.se/statistics/profile/gamelog/2192/2014?lang=en

Sliiighty disappointing starts to the season for them both.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nantel is looking like a good prospect stat wise. Anyone watching him at all this year?

Yes! I was going to do a little write up on our prospects later tonight, mostly inspired by Nantel's play. I really like the way he plays, he's super aggressive both on offense and defense. He's kinda reigned it in a little lately, which is working great for him in the scoring department. He's a great skater, good shot, defensively sound, plays in all situations and really drives the offense. Last weekend he did the MacKinnon split the D move to score a shorty. He also loves the cut into the slot move to fire a writster. I feel like many forget about him as a 7th rounder but he was on some of the early first round lists early last year. I'm not sure what happened to him in the draft. Maybe because he didn't put up a lot of points but he was in a 3rd line defensive role and last year was his first year in the Q, partially because he has a September birthday.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Just wanted to gather a few thoughts together on our prospects after the weekend.

Said a lot already about Nantel but just to round it out with a few stats, he has 13G 15A in 25 games, currently on a 4 game goal streak, 6 game point streak and has only played in 5 games where he hasn't scored a point and went 3G 2A this weekend. Interesting considering his total points last season was 34.

Martin is on a 3 game win streak including a scoreless period in relief. He now has the second best save % in the league at .924 (the best if you discount a guy who has played half as much) and has made the most saves in the league at 755.

Geertsen was suspended a game over the week for instigating a fight in a scrum. Its been a rough go for him for a little bit as his coach was fired in the middle of a road trip (and replaced him with Claude Noel, that's going to be interesting) and he's been taking a few misconducts. I always love to listen to the opposing team call the game against him because they always comment about what a physical presence he is and keep referring to it.

Wood is now up to 8 goals. He's used as primarily a defensive defenseman as he's partnered with a very offensive player but on the PP they love to feed him for one timers and to sneak down with his big wrist shot.

Bleackley has 8G 14A in 26 games. I always find it interesting how when he scores its usually the first goal of the game for his team, the last two have been that way. Pepin is at 6G 4A in 15 games, he's looking a bit faster now than when he started the season. Magyar has the slowest start at 6G 2A in 22 games, was out for about a week with an injury though. Bigras had his superstar week last weekend, this week just solid defensive play and will probably get named to the world junior camp tomorrow, Butcher on Tuesday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It doesn't look like it was mentioned, but Lindholm was finally sent to Allsvenskan. He will actually get some playing time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad