2013 Winter Classic: Hosted by Wings? Sharks or Toronto Involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Then where do they get 100K+ people to show up for all those football games? I gather all those UofM alums are scattered well in and among the Wings fan base in metro Detroit. In fact, a few of them infest our very board. ;)

For any Canadians coming over, they'd just catch I-94. It's a straight shot out from Detroit to AA.

In September, October or November, I have no issue with driving to Ann Arbor. But in early January? There was a huge snowfall here the year of the inaugural classic... in those conditions I'd imagine a fan in Royal Oak would rather head downtown, for example. And if Michigan was playing at the same time? Forget about it.

And, of course, it must be mentioned that there would be no students at this game which takes away ~20,000 people who attend every football game and contributed to that Big Chill crowd.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
St Louis at Minnesota in these

I'd much rather see this:

0613-mikebell-wc2012.png

Maybe tweak the Indian Head a bit. :handclap:

And the thought of Michigan playing in the Rose Bowl the same day the Wings are potentially hosting the Winter Classic never crossed my mind.... thankfully for us all though, we probably won't have the misfortune of seeing Michigan playing in Pasadena any time soon. :laugh:

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
It doesn't have to be the Rose Bowl. The Big Ten has 5 bowl tie ins on New Year's Day (Rose, Citrus, Outback, Gator, TicketCity) and always lands two BCS teams (potentially making it six games on NYD). The odds of Michigan landing in the bottom half of the conference are already bad, the odds of us not being snapped up by the Gator whenever possible to create the best ratings and travel scenario are almost non-existent.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
In September, October or November, I have no issue with driving to Ann Arbor. But in early January? There was a huge snowfall here the year of the inaugural classic... in those conditions I'd imagine a fan in Royal Oak would rather head downtown, for example. And if Michigan was playing at the same time? Forget about it.

And, of course, it must be mentioned that there would be no students at this game which takes away ~20,000 people who attend every football game and contributed to that Big Chill crowd.

And you call yourself a Michigander?

Seriously though, AA isn't that hard to get to, you head south and west instead of south and east on the same major highways. The possibility of snow in SE Michigan is lower than say Chicago, Buffalo or Boston at the same time of year. I also believe you'd more than make up for the student section with Canadians making the trip over the border. I doubt that the extra 30 minutes (Comerica vs AA down I-94) would make them reconsider. A major snowfall that shuts down the roads would pretty much affect anything in Detroit Metro.

(If Michigan is in a bowl game... your attendance for the Wings if linked to U of M game in a warm climate would be affected regardless of Comerica or Mich Stadium... not sure I follow your point.)

I guess what it comes down to is how big of an event seating-wise the NHL believes this 'could' be. Comerica would be far easier to sell out, but would also probably be insufficient as far as expected level of demand. The Big House would offer more than 50% more seating, and would give the marketing guys something interesting to work with, so ultimately that may be what it would come down to-- assuming Mich Stadium is available at a reasonable price/Ilitch is okay with it being in AA. The Winter Classic is more about story lines and unique event focus than just playing in any outdoor venue in on New Year's Day.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

0613-mikebell-wc2012.png

And the thought of Michigan playing in the Rose Bowl the same day the Wings are potentially hosting the Winter Classic never crossed my mind.... thankfully for us all though, we probably won't have the misfortune of seeing Michigan playing in Pasadena any time soon. :laugh:

The only reason I would prefer Minnesota is because Chicago has already been in a winter classic

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The Michigan being in a bowl thing is a problem for the university more than anything, would they try and force a date or time change into the contract to prevent a conflict? I just don't see it as being workable, even though it would obviously be very cool.

(And although the Blues would be a nice classic matchup, having a team in Michigan's colors playing as the away team at the Big House whilst a team in red and white was at home is just dirty and wrong)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
(And although the Blues would be a nice classic matchup, having a team in Michigan's colors playing as the away team at the Big House whilst a team in red and white was at home is just dirty and wrong)

The concept he posted is for a Blues home game against the Hawks...

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The concept he posted is for a Blues home game against the Hawks...

There have been rumors suggesting the Blues will be involved in a Winter Classic as well as rumors that the Wings will host one in roughly the same period. Something tells me those two things are related.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

0613-mikebell-wc2012.png

that hawks jersey is epic

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
There have been rumors suggesting the Blues will be involved in a Winter Classic as well as rumors that the Wings will host one in roughly the same period. Something tells me those two things are related.

There's rumors about a lot of things. I guess they are all related in some way...

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
If the Sharks are involved, they should definitely be the road team. Only Stanford is a suitable venue around here (but with poor access), and the chance of rain is too high to bank on.

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
The Michigan being in a bowl thing is a problem for the university more than anything, would they try and force a date or time change into the contract to prevent a conflict? I just don't see it as being workable, even though it would obviously be very cool.

I don't really get what you mean. But college football teams do not play Bowl games at home. Therefore the Big House would be available....

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I don't really get what you mean. But college football teams do not play Bowl games at home. Therefore the Big House would be available....

He's not saying the stadium isn't available, but asking would it be a conflict of interest to hold an event in your stadium while your team is playing in a bowl...

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Doesn't mean a thing. Twice the Flyers have played in the Winter Classic, twice has Penn State been in a bowl game played at the same time.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I don't understand what I'm saying that's so hard to grasp here. I'm not saying ratings or attendance would bottom out if Michigan was playing, only that it would create a conflict for the university that could potentially derail negotiations between the parties.

To put this in more perspective, this question was posed at the most popular Michigan sports blog recently: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/red-wings-michgan-stadium

Note that while most responses are highly receptive, the concept of a conflict between a potential Michigan bowl game comes up very frequently. If it's that obvious to fans on a message board then it is almost certainly something the AD would bring up in negotiations.

Last edited:

Law

Jun 19, 2007
Miami, FL
Doesn't mean a thing. Twice the Flyers have played in the Winter Classic, twice has Penn State been in a bowl game played at the same time.

If either of those WC's had been hosted in Happy Valley, it might be more relevant to the discussion.

I don't understand what I'm saying that's so hard to grasp here. I'm not saying ratings or attendance would bottom out if Michigan was playing, only that it would create a conflict for the university that could potentially derail negotiations between the parties.

To put this in more perspective, this question was posed at the most popular Michigan sports blog recently: http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/red-wings-michgan-stadium

Note that while most responses are highly receptive, the concept of a conflict between a potential Michigan bowl game comes up very frequently. If it's that obvious to fans on a message board then it is almost certainly something the AD would bring up in negotiations.

If only Rich-Rod was still around. He virtually guaranteed that Michigan wouldn't play in a New Year's Day bowl game.

:sarcasm:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Why should there be a conflict? The stadium is open and available for "some other event." Michigan doesn't benefit directly from the TV money (NCAA has that agreement), but even that's not the point. These events draw on different audiences. Someone who is a Wings fan and a U of M fan might decide to record a bowl game if they felt going to a Winter Classic hosted by the Wings (far less likely to occur again in near future).

I just don't get why you think U of M Regents would nix a Winter Classic being hosted by the Wings/NHL at The Big House and how it would materially impact Michigan's participation in a bowl game. Yankee Stadium's asking price was $200K, the only figure I've seen, but there would be some fee and why would U of M turn down the money?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
There's no guarantee that this wouldn't have an impact on bowl ticket sales or ratings, both of which are extremely important to keep Michigan as a desirable pick for bigger bowls.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
There's no guarantee that this wouldn't have an impact on bowl ticket sales or ratings, both of which are extremely important to keep Michigan as a desirable pick for bigger bowls.

I still have to disagree, Brodie. Winter Classic will happen either way, either at Mich Stadium or Comerica. Heck, if all the U of M fans feel divided, the MSU fans can always pick up the excess tickets for the Wings game. :sarcasm:

And seriously, if U of M is worrying about a possibility of a bowl game next year as a factor in whether or not to let the league use Michigan Stadium--- I'm not sure what to say to that. Those ratings will be affected because the Wings are sponsoring the WC. In effect, you seem to be admitting as well that Michigan Stadium being the host venue would have a greater impact on ratings than a Comerica site. Isn't that what the NHL should want?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Yes, the NHL should be all over it. I'm just wondering if it really works from U-M's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad