2013 Winter Classic: Hosted by Wings? Sharks or Toronto Involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I am salivating over the thought of a Wings/Leafs Winter Classic. There is nothing that would give a boost back to that event like a matchup between those teams. While I'm not really a fan of playing it at UMich I won't deny that it would be pretty incredible to see at that place packed with two rabid fanbases who have a long history. While many newer fans many not appreciate the old Wings/Leafs rivalry I can assure you that it's still very much alive and most people 40+ still think of the O6, and especially Toronto and Montreal, as our biggest rivals both locally and nationally.

I know it was tough to put aside your hatred of anything maize and blue, so kudos. :laugh:

Sunking278

Oct 10, 2007
Yup, no doubt about it, this is an awesome idea, and the more I think about it, it should happen. I've given the Maple Leafs a bit of a hard time on these boards, but a game between those two teams at Michigan Stadium, or even the Tigers' ballpark, would be amazing. The NHL has alternated between ballparks and football stadiums since the Classic began, so next year's event should be at a football stadium, so the 'Big House' it is. And hold it at night! Prime ice condition (Pittsburgh in 2011 aside, but Michigan's even colder than Western PA on average.)

Now, as to this NBC not wanting Canadian teams on their airwaves, I think this is the rare time they relax that policy (if it even is an official policy.) First off, the Maple Leafs would not really be the attraction here. The attraction is the outdoor atmosphere, in the freezing cold with more than 100,000 crazed hockey fans in attendance. And the attraction is the Detroit Red Wings. It's the Red Wings, that's all NBC really needs. America's most popular team, against an ancient rival. Adding some history and prestige to this particular game only increases the incentive for even the most casual of hockey fans to watch. People in the States at least know who the Maple Leafs are, and all the NHL and NBC would have to do is to produce a video feature or two on the history of the Wings-Leafs rivalry. That's simple enough for the average goober to understand. It's the U.S. vs. Canada (though not really considering the nationalities of the players, but you all get the point.) It's the RED WINGS. If the Red Wings were playing the Coyotes in the desert - literally, out in the middle of the open desert, let's see the NHL pull that off - it would draw a few million or more viewers.

I also think a Boston-Montreal Classic at some point in the not-too-near future at Fenway Park is absolutely a game that could draw large numbers of casual hockey fans everywhere. Do that one in, say, 2018 or so. Chicago-Boston would also be great, btw, but we're talking Canadian teams here. IF, say, this year's Classic had been scheduled to automatically be held between the previous season's Cup finalists, and Boston vs. Vancouver was the match-up, people would watch (they did in the Finals.) Maybe that should be the reward for winning the Cup, the right to hold the next season's Winter Classic. But, what to do if Phoenix wins the Cup? Or Florida? Or a Canadian team? Then that would get tricky, but it's not as though a warm weather outdoor game hasn't been done before. And there's also the option of being the 'home' team in a neutral site game. Either way, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Calgary will likely never play in the game, absent a superstar the caliber of Wayne Gretzky.

(For the record, I would still love to see a Classic between the Red Wings and Penguins, sometime before Crosby expires for good ...)

Last edited:

Law

Jun 19, 2007
Miami, FL
If they secure the Big House, I could possibly see NBC being ok with a Wings/Leafs tilt. They would probably try to play up the nationalistic, "US vs. Canada" angle and obviously there would be the 114k in a college football holy ground -- possibly setting an ice hockey attendance record (currently 113,411 at the Big House). Would be quite a spectacle, gonna have to figure out how to get me some tix.

mucker*

Next year will be:

1) Leafs-Wings
2) Hawks-Wild
3) Hawks-Blues

Next Year will be:
1) Bruins-Rangers

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Next year will be:

1) Leafs-Wings
2) Hawks-Wild
3) Hawks-Blues

Next Year will be:
1) Bruins-Rangers

Not a chance. Yankee Stadium won't be free until after the Pinstripe Bowl's contract ends after the last scheduled game in December 2013, in other words not until New Year's Day 2015 at the very earliest.

And it wouldn't be elsewhere in New York City area, as I doubt that the NHL would be able to do the logistical challenges of setting something up at Central Park, New Meadowlands will be booked with two NFL teams already, and no one cares about Citi Field.

Yankee Stadium would have to be considered a prohibitive favorite in 2015 though, assuming that the Pinstripe Bowl's contract is re-upped.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Also regarding Yankee Stadium, I heard (sorry I don't have a source since my brother told me) that the Yankees are enjoying having bowl games at Yankee Stadium, so I have a feeling they might extend the Pinstripe Bowl.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Reading through the comments about the Big House - it was mentioned that the stadiums' present policy is to not sell any alcohol for any events there.

Would that impact the game in any way?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Reading through the comments about the Big House - it was mentioned that the stadiums' present policy is to not sell any alcohol for any events there.

Would that impact the game in any way?

Not sure about the specifics regarding their alcohol policy, but would have to imagine that it'd be the type of scenario that the university would have to vote to approve alcohol sales as a one-time thing. The University of Illinois did the same thing to approve booze sales for Bears games when they played down in Champaign while Soldier Field was being renovated.

Sunking278

Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, really, there's no need to treat patrons like children. If Michigan Stadium hosts an NHL game, beer sales are an absolute must. Beer and hockey go together like a goalie and his mask.

Malpraktis

Nov 9, 2011
Michigan
I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but the Wings vs. Leafs is very unlikely because of the business that is hockey.

NBC owns the contract: they get paid based on Nielson ratings. Canadian viewers do not count for Nielson ratings, which is why CBC received the contract for the heritage classic (NBC wasn't interested.) Ergo, Wings vs. another American team is vastly more likely than Wings vs. any Canadian team.

I'd love to see Wings vs. Leafs. I just don't think NBC would allow it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I don't know if it's been mentioned already, but the Wings vs. Leafs is very unlikely because of the business that is hockey.

NBC owns the contract: they get paid based on Nielson ratings. Canadian viewers do not count for Nielson ratings, which is why CBC received the contract for the heritage classic (NBC wasn't interested.) Ergo, Wings vs. another American team is vastly more likely than Wings vs. any Canadian team.

I'd love to see Wings vs. Leafs. I just don't think NBC would allow it.

I think most people have already assumed that, tbqh. If it is at the Big House, almost assuredly will be against another American team.

DevilChuk*

Not a chance. Yankee Stadium won't be free until after the Pinstripe Bowl's contract ends after the last scheduled game in December 2013, in other words not until New Year's Day 2015 at the very earliest.

And it wouldn't be elsewhere in New York City area, as I doubt that the NHL would be able to do the logistical challenges of setting something up at Central Park, New Meadowlands will be booked with two NFL teams already, and no one cares about Citi Field.

Yankee Stadium would have to be considered a prohibitive favorite in 2015 though, assuming that the Pinstripe Bowl's contract is re-upped.

I would assume Yankee Stadium would re-up the Pinstripe Bowl (would you take the one event or the contractual obligation to rent the place out for 10 years? not to mention the Pinstripe Bowl is promoting the Yankees in a way).

Central Park would never work. If they want to do it in NYC (i.e. not West Point), it would be Citi Field or MetLife Stadium. MetLife IS possible if the NFL helps them out by putting both the Jets and Giants on the road week 17.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I would assume Yankee Stadium would re-up the Pinstripe Bowl (would you take the one event or the contractual obligation to rent the place out for 10 years? not to mention the Pinstripe Bowl is promoting the Yankees in a way).

Central Park would never work. If they want to do it in NYC (i.e. not West Point), it would be Citi Field or MetLife Stadium. MetLife IS possible if the NFL helps them out by putting both the Jets and Giants on the road week 17.

Wouldn't be surprised if you're right that the Yankees would prefer to keep a collegiate bowl game over the Winter Classic, as they'd probably make more money off of it on a year by year basis than the WC would bring in, but that's a mighty big if regarding the NFL wanting to make both teams on the road the final week of the season. No incentive for them to keep a NYC/NJ stadium unused for their league the final week of the season.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I guess the host city can make some money off these things too:

City Of Philadelphia To Reap Financial Benefits From Hosting Winter Classic

Published December 28, 2011

The ’11 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic “raked in approximately $22 million in additional revenue for the city of Pittsburgh†last year, and Philadelphia over the next two weeks “is set to blow that number away" despite the game being played in a venue with...

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com...28/Events-and-Attractions/Winter-Classic.aspx

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If Michigan Stadium hosts an NHL game, beer sales are an absolute must.

... and Coney Dogs. None a that local crap either. Get em brought in special from Zeus's over in Lansing and heck, I might even make the flight over for it. :D

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
The Legends Game would be best played in Yost Ice Arena, old time stars in an old time Arena. I'd buy tickets...

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
According to the main board thread - Leafs & Wings at the Big House confirmed.

Sounds like a done deal according to Bob McKenzie on TSN Insider Trading

115,000 capacity configuration @ Michigan Stadium
NBC has no issue with the matchup
Expects an announcement later this month

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
According to the main board thread - Leafs & Wings at the Big House confirmed.

Regardless, it would be nice if they announced it a way's in advance if what they're saying about when the announcement is true. Wasn't this past year's obscenely late?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
wrong
wrong
wrong

Leo's at a minimum

Ya, Leo's makes a Mean Mustard. Worth the trip. That SuperConey jobyee'o they offer? One always winds up with more of it on ya than in ya. But sure, g'head Brodie...

and good luck getting the stains out of your uniform. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad