2013 Winter Classic: Hosted by Wings? Sharks or Toronto Involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
Lady, you might agree with this one and i know nobody will like it will all of there east coast bias but Sharks vs. Ducks at At&t park or at the coliseum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:sharks vs :ducks2

No lie, Sharks/Ducks at AT&T would literally be the best Winter Classic ever.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't see the WC living for more than a few more years. Outside of the Canadian teams there are less than 15 teams that have outdoor hockey conditions. You can't have the WC when half the league participates.

This thread does remind me of how weird it'd be to live in a warm climate. I've been skating outside for two weeks now I can't imagine going the whole year with no pond hockey.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
I don't see the WC living for more than a few more years. Outside of the Canadian teams there are less than 15 teams that have outdoor hockey conditions. You can't have the WC when half the league participates.

This thread does remind me of how weird it'd be to live in a warm climate. I've been skating outside for two weeks now I can't imagine going the whole year with no pond hockey.

They had an outdoor game in Vegas and the ice was fine. If a suitable team is able to stpe up and hold the game in a southern climate, I'm sure the NHL would be willing to put it in the South if the $$$ was right.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I would like to see Blues @ Redwings in the Big House next year. Hell, I might even go and I'm not a fan of either team.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks could host @ AT&T or Stanford Stadium (or Cal) -- totally avoiding any NFL venues. Temperatures aren't that much of a problem. Humidity yes (IIRC, we sit around 60% in the winter).

The biggest issue about holding an outdoor event in the region is the potential for rain.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Sharks could host @ AT&T or Stanford Stadium (or Cal) -- totally avoiding any NFL venues. Temperatures aren't that much of a problem. Humidity yes (IIRC, we sit around 60% in the winter).

Although there is a Bowl Game (Kraft Fights Hunger Bowl) scheduled at AT&T Park on Dec 31.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
I'm not offended by calling it THE Big House. OSU fans can be, though, of course the school's official name is THE Ohio State University. Pompous ****s

But yes, an NHL game at THE Big House would be very neat. I'd actually go to it, unlike The Big Chill, where I didn't want to have to walk a mile in the snow. (The parking is awful)

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'd definitely watch Wings Sharks. I think these games should be rivalry games too; if you're trying to get mass appeal for the game, division rivals always bring extra juice.

Warfunkel

May 22, 2011
No way a canadian team gets the winter classic lol

Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Quebec would all likely be too cold for an open stadium game in the winter. Vancouver doesn't get much snow and the temperature normally hovers around zero. The wind is brutal, but wouldn't be a big deal within the walls of B.C. Place. Toronto vs. Montreal should be the first game anyone would think of as "classic", but the weather would likely be a factor.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Quebec would all likely be too cold for an open stadium game in the winter. Vancouver doesn't get much snow and the temperature normally hovers around zero. The wind is brutal, but wouldn't be a big deal within the walls of B.C. Place. Toronto vs. Montreal should be the first game anyone would think of as "classic", but the weather would likely be a factor.

You do know that the Winter Classic idea started in Edmonton?

Both Calgary and Edmonton have hosted a outdoor game and they're the two coldest cities in the NHL.

skymachine

Aug 2, 2005
New York
Lady, you might agree with this one and i know nobody will like it will all of there east coast bias but Sharks vs. Ducks at At&t park or at the coliseum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:sharks vs :ducks2

Wow a WC at the Coliseum....that would be the day. Raider Nation Winter Classic :yo:

I seriously think a WC at AT&T Park in San Francisco would be a big success. Bring in Detroit or an Eastern team to attract more national interest. The warmest it would be would be mid-50s, but definitely cool and not muggy. Would be very picaresque on the SF Bay, but would be weird if they decided to cover the field in fake snow, which I think they usually do for the event.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The ice was brutal in that game, FYI.
I recall the ice being just fine. In fact, they had to raise the tempature of the playing surface slightly because it was too cold. The main problem they had was grasshoppers jumping on the ice.

Gretzky refused to come out for the third period and both teams agreed to finish out the game playing non-contact.

I've been a Kings fan my whole life and this is the first time I've ever heard this. I recall Gretzky playing all 3 periods and there was contact through out.

- Edit -

This is a video is from the 3rd period of the game:

Non contact?

Last edited:

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
The ice was brutal in that game, FYI. Gretzky refused to come out for the third period and both teams agreed to finish out the game playing non-contact.

odd, I just watched that game not too long ago when they showed it on the NHL Network and I don't remember any such things. Only problem they had with the ice was attracting grasshoppers.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
First outdoor game with NHL teams was in Vegas..Rangers/Kings..

I think the point was that being 'too cold' hasn't stopped outdoor games from being held or people from attending. Calgary was brutally cold during last year's HC, and AFAIK it was much the same story in Edmonton. The stars seem to be aligning for Winnipeg hosting an HC in the near future, at that.

Warfunkel

May 22, 2011
I think the point was that being 'too cold' hasn't stopped outdoor games from being held or people from attending. Calgary was brutally cold during last year's HC, and AFAIK it was much the same story in Edmonton. The stars seem to be aligning for Winnipeg hosting an HC in the near future, at that.

Canad Inns Stadium would be absolutely painful for the fans to watch a hockey game in. I know they still go to see the Blue Bombers, but football season ends before the winter starts. Looking at pictures of it, it looks like there is no cover for the lower seats and an awning over the upper seats would only create a venturi effect for the wind. It doesn't appear to have walls like B.C. Place does either. It would take a real die hard fan to attend a game in the coldest major city in the world at a completely open stadium. I'd wait for the new stadium to be built, which wouldn't take long. It too will be a purpose built football stadium, so I don't see it being too much better in terms of protecting occupants form the weather.

I'm basing this on what I've seen in pictures and on TV, so if there's any Blue Bombers fans out there that know something I don't about Canad Inns, chime in.

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/12/red_wings_in_talks_with_nhl_to.html

How timely!

I still think the marketing/promo potential for NBC is superior if Michigan Stadium is used. It holds the record for the largest outdoor hockey audience ever, plus the appeal of putting an NHL game in a venue that can break that record would be intriguing.

With Ilitch Holdings being the facility operator of Comerica, I can understand the desire to use that facility, but it can only house 41K. With the NHL limiting tickets to each group, the potential at the Big House is clearly superior.

The problem is the odds of Michigan playing in a bowl game on New Year's Day are high (all it takes is a top 5 finish in the Big Ten) and a hockey game at the Big House airing concurrently creates a real conflict both for TV viewers and for the university itself. I'm also unsure if a Winter Classic, if not against a traditional eastern/great lakes team, could hope to match the record the Big Chill set. It would be a bit depressing putting the thing on in the country's biggest stadium and then not selling it out.

What Comerica lacks in size and je ne sais quoi it more than makes up for in ease and, this is crucial, location. Getting anywhere in Metro Detroit during the winter is a chore, but going downtown is still a significantly easier drive for many people than going to Ann Arbor. Granted, it looks likely that commuter rail will be in place by then and that would serve a lot of people in the Wings western Wayne heartland, but that's still cutting off a lot of fans.

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The problem is the odds of Michigan playing in a bowl game on New Year's Day are high (all it takes is a top 5 finish in the Big Ten) and a hockey game at the Big House airing concurrently creates a real conflict both for TV viewers and for the university itself. I'm also unsure if a Winter Classic, if not against a traditional eastern/great lakes team, could hope to match the record the Big Chill set. It would be a bit depressing putting the thing on in the country's biggest stadium and then not selling it out.

What Comerica lacks in size and je ne sais quoi it more than makes up for in ease and, this is crucial, location. Getting anywhere in Metro Detroit during the winter is a chore, but going downtown is still a significantly easier drive for many people than going to Ann Arbor. Granted, it looks likely that commuter rail will be in place by then and that would serve a lot of people in the Wings western Wayne heartland, but that's still cutting off a lot of fans.

Then where do they get 100K+ people to show up for all those football games? I gather all those UofM alums are scattered well in and among the Wings fan base in metro Detroit. In fact, a few of them infest our very board. ;)

For any Canadians coming over, they'd just catch I-94. It's a straight shot out from Detroit to AA.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
During the Blues game earlier Darren Pang said the BoG have discussed stl being in one and he expects the Blues to be in one within the next 4 years. Granted I do not know how accurate that is but I really hope it is true.

I think a game on the national mall would be great, they probably wont bc there really wont be any seating but I still think it would be great to do.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
St Louis at Minnesota in these
jR9M5.png
(white one)
HcoER.png
(green one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad