2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
In regards to Matteau and the possibility of him sticking for the season... I want to bring up an NHL comparable who we've referred to when we've talked about his development; Lucic.

Looking at Lucic's stats, I'm seeing he played on the Bruins NHL squad right out of juniors. At age 19, having been drafted at #50.
Just wanted to mention that as food for thought, because if Matteau actually does stick for more than five games, it'll mean he's been consistently helping the team win, improving each game and that the coaching staff believes it's best for his development to play with the NHL club. (In my opinion anyways)
It's less rare than people think, prospects that young and drafted later making their case to stay with the big club when they get their chance. I'd be really excited to see Matteau stay with the Devils if his good play remains consistent and his development won't be stunted.

Lucic went back to juniors the year after he was drafted and joined the Bruins as a 19 year old (second year post-draft). Matteau would be making the team as an 18 year old in his first year post-draft.

What the Devils have to do is decide whether the short term gains outweigh the long term benefits. Look no further than Zubrus. He was drafted 15th overall by the Flyers and they "rushed" him into the NHL. It could've stunted his development, we will never know. From what I see on Matteau, I don't want to take the risk of stunting his development and him becoming like Zubrus. I'd much rather see him go back to juniors and round out his offensive game to contribute as much as a Lucic does. He can be a hell of a player, and it's not like he's making THAT much of an impact right now.

Last edited:

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Gagne, yes please.

I really hope one of these many options come true. There's a lot of teams in need of D it seems. Lou needs to make the most of it.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Lucic went back to juniors the year after he was drafted (second year post-draft) and joined the Bruins as a 19 year old. Matteau would be making the team as an 18 year old in his first year post-draft.

What the Devils have to do is decide whether the short term gains outweigh the long term benefits. Look no further than Zubrus. He was drafted 15th overall by the Flyers and they "rushed" him into the NHL. It could've stunted his development, we will never know. From what I see on Matteau, I don't want to take the risk of stunting his development and him becoming like Zubrus. I'd much rather see him go back to juniors and round out his offensive game to contribute as much as a Lucic does. He can be a hell of a player, and it's not like he's making THAT much of an impact right now.

Ahh I see, I didn't realize that. I looked at Lucic's stats and assumed he made the Bruins right out of juniors without thinking about when he was actually drafted.

Good point about Zubrus. Thinking about that now I kinda have to agree there.

apice3*

I'd take Gagne if he comes cheap. I think we can get more though if we're trading Tallinder or Volchenkov for someone.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Done deal for me. I've always liked Gagne even when he was with the Flyers!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Ahh I see, I didn't realize that. I looked at Lucic's stats and assumed he made the Bruins right out of juniors without thinking about when he was actually drafted.

Good point about Zubrus. Thinking about that now I kinda have to agree there.

I have absolutely no doubt he will be an NHL player. At the very least, we will see him become someone like Bernier. But at his fullest potential, he can be one hell of a player and a difference maker. Right now, he's not a difference maker but he can definitely hold his own.

I said it when the pick was made that it was a very safe pick, and it was a smart one by Lou, knowing our forward depth is/was very weak. He took a couple of projects later on too in Gavrus and Kerfoot because Matteau was a pretty safe pick.

apice3*

Eh, I don't think depth had anything to do with it. Matteau was the best player available, and that's why Lou took him. Additionally, I don't think one pick influences future picks. That's usually how you end up with a bad draft.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
love gagne, but him and the jake will have their first conversation when he joins the team and theyll either both sprain something, or concuss themselves.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Eh, I don't think depth had anything to do with it. Matteau was the best player available, and that's why Lou took him. Additionally, I don't think one pick influences future picks. That's usually how you end up with a bad draft.

I know. But Matteau was also a very safe pick. There were guys like Collberg with arguably more upside. I think it changes things. If some defender dropped really far, the Devils would've taken the BPA and then they probably would've passed over Severson in the second round.

If the Devils hadn't picked Matteau, I think they'd be looking at safer picks in the later rounds if they were stuck between two guys. If they had a safe pick versus a project, they likely would've picked the safe pick.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'd take Gagne on my team any day of the week, regardless of his injury issues.

Jack Griffin

Jan 28, 2012
Florida
If you are suggesting Zubrus should have been better because he was drafted 15th overall you should take a look at the 96 draft. He's had one of the best careers of all the forwards in that draft. I don't think playing in the NHL at 18 had any negative effect on him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If you are suggesting Zubrus should have been better because he was drafted 15th overall you should take a look at the 96 draft. He's had one of the best careers of all the forwards in that draft. I don't think playing in the NHL at 18 had any negative effect on him.

I never said, that I just said we will never know whether he was rushed. He could've developed more of an offensive game, however, I'm not sure what developmental league he was playing. It was probably far inferior to the Q though, so it was probably better off for him to play in the NHL.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who Am I? (Ex-Devils player)

1. I've played for 8 NHL teams, including one twice.
2. I was drafted in the same draft as Chris Terreri.
3. I've played on two teams that made it to the Stanley Cup winning once.
4. I never played for the team I was drafted by.
5. I was on the Kings when I played my 1,000th game.

My bad, two not three SCF teams. I screwed that one up.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Lucic went back to juniors the year after he was drafted and joined the Bruins as a 19 year old (second year post-draft). Matteau would be making the team as an 18 year old in his first year post-draft.

Major assumption that Zubrus playing so early stunted his growth. How many guys have been drafted and were allowed to "develop" in the Juniors/minors never amounted to anything?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Major assumption that Zubrus playing so early stunted his growth. How many guys have been drafted and were allowed to "develop" in the Juniors/minors never amounted to anything?

Did you read what I said?

I said "rushed" as in they might've put him into the NHL too early. I put quotations around it for a reason. I also said it COULD'VE stunted his growth. I said I'd like to let the Devils give Matteau time to develop is game, I'd like to see him be a big bruising 60-70 point winger rather than a 30-50 point winger like Zubrus. He may never be what I'd like him to be, but I'd at least like to know the Devils at least gave him the chance to do the former. Players like Zubrus, Matteau, Bernier are almost guaranteed to make the NHL unless they completely fall off the face of the Earth. They've got the size and skill to be an effective fourth line at the very least. When you look at similar big-bodied wingers, very few don't make the NHL unless they just get lazy or make no effort to improve their game. Steve Downie, Scottie Upshall, all those guys.

apice3*

Sean ODonnell

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have absolutely no doubt he will be an NHL player. At the very least, we will see him become someone like Bernier. But at his fullest potential, he can be one hell of a player and a difference maker. Right now, he's not a difference maker but he can definitely hold his own.

I said it when the pick was made that it was a very safe pick, and it was a smart one by Lou, knowing our forward depth is/was very weak. He took a couple of projects later on too in Gavrus and Kerfoot because Matteau was a pretty safe pick.

Given his size, he's different then Bernier.

And maybe u said it was a safe pick, but a lot of guys hated it, and no one thought he would be playing in the first game of the 2013 season. I have to think even Lou is a little surprised at where he is right now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thought it was O'Donnell except for the year Terreri was drafted. Terreri was drafted in 83. O'Donnell just retired so no way he's that old. O'Donnell was also the answer to one of these last week too I believe.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey

It had to be a different draft class than Chris Terreri's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca